• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy PS5 or wait for PS6 ?

Fbh

If you just want TLOU3 then no.
We don't even know what the next game from ND will be and rumors are it's going to be a new IP. So it could be 5+ years until we see TLOU3.

Right now IMO if you've got an Xbox, the PS5 is only worth it if you are into the Japanese/Korean games coming to it: FF7 Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc
Their western output has been rather lacking with a bunch of remakes and samey sequels (Returnal being the unique standout) increasingly tailored for "modern audiences"

TLOU 1 was end days of ps3 and TLOU 2 was end days of PS4. It makes sense as they can sell the OG and then remaster.

It really therefore just depends whether you want to play the OG or remaster of a good game with a fucking abysmal, pandering story and characters.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5-Digital-Box-24-09-2020.jpg

I like the PS5 and still look at it as a new console after 4 years (Released in Nov. 2020) digital versions aren't much of a risk for SONY at this point they're expected, and there's still physical games coming out.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Realistically, PS6 is not due out for another 3 years. There's a chance we get a PS5 Pro this year, but it is going to be more expensive than PS5 (probably in the $600-$700 range), and the improvements are likely going to be pretty marginal, less than PS4 Pro vs. PS4.

I think now is a good time to get a PS5.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

For people that buy all the consoles (like myself), it's about to get less expensive.
Unless Sony see it has zero competition in the console space and decides to release the PS6 at $999. What are gamers gonna do, not pay that?

Sethbacca

At this point, and this would be the first time anyone can say this and not be a troll...

Sell your XSX, buy the PS5. You will get access to all third-party games, including Xbox games and Sony exclusives. Crazy I know, but that seems to be the world we live in now.
Realistically anyone that wants to trade in their Series console but doesn't sooner rather than later is going to see some seriously diminishing returns as these get traded away in volume. If full 3rd party is 100% confirmed a thing the trade in value on these things is going to crater.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Wait for the more powerful PS6...

Oh wait PS7 will be more powerful than PS6...

Smh

If you can afford it buy PS5.
If you can wait, buy the unannounced PS5 Pro.

WitchHunter

Banned
Well guys...

I got my Xbox Series X and I'm pretty happy with this console.
I know I have amazing games to play through this generation.

But, Neil Druckman is making The Last of Us Part 3.
This game is by far the best Playstation game in my opinion.
But I don't see anything as important as The Last of Us to make me buy a PS5.
Except a Jak and Daxter return, maybe an Uncharted sequel or a great classic GOW remake.
I could get two more consoles, like, the next Switch and maybe the PS5.
So, even if ND announce The Last of Us Part 3 for PS5...

Would it be worth buying a PS5 in my case, in this generation??
or
Should I keep playing gamepass, maybe buying the next Nintendo Switch, until the PS6 launching?
Buy a PS5 now, because PS6 will be rent only.

HighPoly

Banned
If you just want TLOU3 then no.
We don't even know what the next game from ND will be and rumors are it's going to be a new IP. So it could be 5+ years until we see TLOU3.

Right now IMO if you've got an Xbox, the PS5 is only worth it if you are into the Japanese/Korean games coming to it: FF7 Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc
Their western output has been rather lacking with a bunch of remakes and samey sequels (Returnal being the unique standout) increasingly tailored for "modern audiences"
thanks

Audiophile

Gold Member
If you have the means then I think the chad play is wait for PS5 Pro + Switch 2 and make a start on building a PC.

Sell XSX when needed.

Everything is covered then.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Financially waiting until the PS6 then subbing to PS++ and playing all the older games is a good way to get access to their content if you don't have a gaming capable PC. Sure we are talking a few years but the rate at which Sony produces their 1st party games that is what 8 games tops? TLoU 3 is not even in development so you aint getting that on PS5.

Mexen

A few days ago I asked myself this very question and discovered that the PS6 is 3-4 years away.

But my schedule doesn’t allow for much gaming and when I do, I find my gaming laptop, PS4 and Switch cover me just fine.

I guess in a few months I’ll decide for certain but for now, I think I’m good.

Jesb

GeForcenow is more than enough for me. I told myself I’ll use this until the PS5 Pro comes out. But it’s really been a lot better than I thought it would be. If PlayStation get on the service than I probably won’t even look at a PS5. Even if it doesn’t I may not even bother. A great combo for me may be GeForcenow+NS2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If LOU3 is what makes you buy a PS system, just wait for PS6.

Given history, LOU games come out the final year of a generation where the new system comes out that fall. If you get PS5 Pro this year (assuming rumours true), LOU3 probably wont come out till 2027 anyway. And then PS6 is around the corner. Get PS6, play LOU3 BC and it'll be better than PS5 Pro version. If you go that route you might even get lucky and PS6 gets a remastered version right away like PS4 got LOU1 Remaster.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everyone here is dumb.

Obviously just wait for TLoU3 demake and buy a PS1.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Get a slim ps5 (more memory than launch) and then get a ps6 after its launch window. Everything will be cross gen for a time. PS5 Pro (if it still comes out) won’t likely upgrade enough to warrant a purchase from someone that still doesn’t have a ps5.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Buy now i guess. No particular reason. Ps6 still far away i guess. The library might not the best for some, but still, worth.

sadmaker

I wouldn't buy any console for one game.

Of course, since money seems to be no object around here, you'll be advised to buy the PS5, then PS5 pro, then the PS5 super pro followed by the super duper pro, then dump all those when the PS6 is released.

Top Bottom