• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 PRO, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Option 3 for me. Wait on some titles until the pro. Will trade the PS5 putting me back in warranty. So it’s a win win.
Wouldnt count on these games getting pro patch anyway.
It will be a never ending cycle of begging for pro patch for years.

Mr Hyde

I never buy into Pro-models. Devs always develop for base consoles in mind + the generational leap will feel smaller when PS6 arrives. I also don't want to fork out another 500 dollar on top of the 500 I already payed, when I don't think I've got my money's worth so far with the PS5. Absolute waste of money.

Last edited:
I've been waiting this entire time for a PS5 Pro, essentially waiting for the library to have enough exclusives to warrant having a PS5 over my PC.

But with the recent news that Sony is almost assuredly gonna start day and date releasing their exclusives on PC, it's just about better for me to just put that money towards a PC upgrade and play them on my platform of choice anyways.

They just didn't release enough exclusives to warrant the purchase up to now, and it seems like my patience is paying off.

I’m not feeling a pro console this gen… I’d rather if everything just shipped with 2tb hds.

My tv has vrr, so I never notice and screen tearing or dropped frames.

Frankly, I’m ok waiting until they can make 4K with ray tracing at 60fps easily achievable on new hardware.

RDR2, Metro Exodus and AC:Valhalla ran on a netbook architecture. With great visuals but terrible load times, which should most definitely be no issue with the base PS5.
Devs should ffs be able to make better games on the PS5 amateur. Don't give them an easy way out to show off better looking games just by brute forcing better results.

The PS4 Pro was released at a time when 4K TVs were becoming affordable and popular so there was a demand for a console with 4K output (which was ironic given that the Pro was more of a 1440p console than 4K and didn't even ship with a 4K BD drive). The two biggest issues with the PS4, it's slow loading times from hard drives and it's underpowered Jaguar CPU were resolved with the release of the PS5 with its super-fast NVMe M.2 SSD and AMD Zen2 CPU.

I am not so sure there is the same need or demand for a PS5 Pro. The hardcore gamers will absolutely want a more powerful machine that can do 60 fps minimum and offer 120 fps support but the majority of gamers won't and will be happy with the base machine. And given that the base PS5 is likely to be the hardware target for developers, having the larger market share, then it means that not all games, particularly those from third-party developers, will necessarily take advantage of the more powerful hardware. It would be just another SKU to develop and support to add to all the others. Sony would really be the only ones that would definitely support it but with first-party titles taking much longer to develop then every before then how many of those games would actually be released before the true PS6 successor arrives?

I bought a PS4 Pro and while I may consider upgrading to a PS5 Pro if is released, simply because I can afford it and why not have an even powerful system to play games on, I am not that excited about it and wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out there was no PS5 Pro. The existing PS5 is perfectly fine in my opinion for first party games and I buy the majority of third-party ones for PC anyway.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Wouldnt count on these games getting pro patch anyway.
It will be the same as the PS4 Pro. Some will get a patch, some won't and some games won't need a patch to run better. But all new games will be required to support it. It was mandated that all games be improved on the PS4 Pro, it will be the same for the PS5 Pro. Most likely this will end up with 60fps being the baseline along with whatever hardware upscaling solution is included.

Damigos

Buying day1 provided i can sell my PS5 at € 350-400ish.
Also a PS5 Pro would not improve resolution, but it would create steadier frame rates for games that struggle, or do 120 for the games that are steady at 60.
Another possible advantage would be improved ray tracing or maybe to cancel the upscaling part of certain games and do native 4k.
Just my thoughts, dont shoot

Last edited:
If they release a PS5 Pro, it will probably be a universal joke, considering the PS5 has barely any  new games on it, for how long it has been going at this point.

All I can say is that as a Brazilian, and someone who will take years to afford a "vanilla" PS5, a PS5 Pro is the last thing I care about.
Shit will probably be even more wallet fucky.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I'll buy a PS5 for when GTA VI is out.

If a PS5 pro is out at the same time, i'll get that i guess.

Last edited:

Kupfer

At the moment I couldn't care less about a pro as there are no games that I think could massively benefit from it.
When the time comes, we'll see. I only bought the PS4 pro relatively late and discounted when I felt it was worth it

Ronin_7

Banned
It matters to anyone who has money to spend freely.

All the rest will complain because they're poor ass fooks.

It's the same situation with iPhone every year, a few millions complain but record sales every quarter.

Blood Borne

It doesn’t.

We’ve barely seen what the PS5 is capable of. More so, I doubt PS5 Pro will be so powerful that it will run games at 60fps where the PS5 could only do 30fps. It’ll be mainly for resolution and better effects. Pointless in my opinion.

Senua

That’s remedys fault. They just slapped low on pc version with no substitute for pt and went their way on ps5.
Lazy devs, bad devs and shit port.
Inexcusable when we have tlou part1 at 4k with pristine image quality, looking like a post card and at over 40fps.
Fuck remedy and fuck rt.
TLoU part1 is not pushing the hardware anywhere near Alan Wake 2, TLoU is a glorified PS4 game. Image quality could be enhanced with better upscaling tech, yes. But there are limits to what you can do with PS5's power and Alan Wake 2's stunning assets and lighting.

It matters to anyone who has money to spend freely.

All the rest will complain because they're poor ass fooks.

It's the same situation with iPhone every year, a few millions complain but record sales every quarter.
Spot the Murican

Last edited:

ryzen1

It doesn't. Because there are no games that I want to play on it.
The only recent game I got was Spider-Man 2, which is the only game in 2023 (next to some VR stuff, which I already sold again)

Gj Sony

OuterLimits

It’s not going to make an impact at all as far as mainstream consumer adoption goes, but I still think it’s great that Sony is creating it for the small percentage of enthusiasts.

I admit I haven't been following this news super closely, but do we know for sure that a Pro is happening? Or could this eventually be just another Switch Pro situation

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't see the value to anyone. Games will cost more since they need to optimize to another setting. The cost to design the hardware coupled to the fact that most who will buy it are upgraders means there is not much of an increase in addressable market. Also I think it damages the brand for those who recently bought in. Maybe they remember this next gen.

Does anyone have numbers that indicate how many PS4 to PS4 Pro users sold their PS4s and how many of those who bought those used PS4s bought new full priced games for it? It would also be interesting to know what percentage of PS4Pro owners bought it who wouldn't have bought a PS4 otherwise.

Killjoy-NL

Image quality is way too soft in 60fps-modes in recent releases. 1080p like in Helldivers 2 is way to blurry on a 4K-display.

I switched to a PC last year, but would definitely buy a PS5 Pro for the exclusive titles.
HD2 in performance mode looks good enough for me on my a90j OLED.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The limitations of the current consoles become more and more evident all the time, with incredibly low res, blurry performance modes. Image quality is quite often worse than a typical PS4 game. So yes, I need it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
TLoU part1 is not pushing the hardware anywhere near Alan Wake 2, TLoU is a glorified PS4 game. Image quality could be enhanced with better upscaling tech, yes. But there are limits to what you can do with PS5's power and Alan Wake 2's stunning assets and lighting.

Spot the Murican
Part1 is not pushing the hardware but looks 10x better than Alan wake 2. We are talking on ps5. Not on pc

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I mean, does anyone think we need another hardware jump?

the last game using PS5/Series power is ALAN WAKE 2...
Maybe Spider Man 2? Don't really think...

you will buy this console?
I know I need... I want stable 60fps across the board with good (upscaled to 4k) resolution in a closed console box experience..... dont mind the price really ... happy to pay whatever they throw at me as long as the hardware justifies

IDWhite

I mean, does anyone think we need another hardware jump?

the last game using PS5/Series power is ALAN WAKE 2...
Maybe Spider Man 2? Don't really think...

you will buy this console?

To clarify:

-Alan wake 2 utilizes the same core engine that Quantum break on Xbox One. They barely upgrade the engine for Ps5 and Xbox Series. The implementation of mesh shaders and improved lighting has counterparts whit low quality SSR, shadows, Ambien Occlusion, post processing and no hardware RT. The game has incredible bad image quality on motion. Is an unoptimized game for consoles, and even on PC they can only rely on brute force from RTX 4070 ti and above to run RT.

-Marvel Spiderman 2 is a copy&paste on assets and engine features from previous games whit new traversal and fast travel features. On an code efficiency perspective we can say it's a good optimized game on Ps5 but it's not using all the hardware capabilities availables.

Not a single game are fully utilizing all the hardware features that these consoles have. If even first party games aren't using properly the hardware on current machines a Ps5 pro with new hardware features are pointless. More brute force to run the same unoptimiced games, and maybe image reconstruction on dedicated hardware.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nope doesn’t matter. Niche product that will be a nominal upgrade.

Be cool to have one, but things already run really well for me. Don’t see the value proposition.

Naked Lunch

The worst generation in the medium's history - certainly in terms of game library - and I'm expected to buy 2 consoles to play this trash?

HighPoly

Banned
To clarify:

-Alan wake 2 utilizes the same core engine that Quantum break on Xbox One. They barely upgrade the engine for Ps5 and Xbox Series. The implementation of mesh shaders and improved lighting has counterparts whit low quality SSR, shadows, Ambien Occlusion, post processing and no hardware RT. The game has incredible bad image quality on motion. Is an unoptimized game for consoles, and even on PC they can only rely on brute force from RTX 4070 ti and above to run RT.

-Marvel Spiderman 2 is a copy&paste on assets and engine features from previous games whit new traversal and fast travel features. On an code efficiency perspective we can say it's a good optimized game on Ps5 but it's not using all the hardware capabilities availables.

Not a single game are fully utilizing all the hardware features that these consoles have. If even first party games aren't using properly the hardware on current machines a Ps5 pro with new hardware features are pointless. More brute force to run the same unoptimiced games, and maybe image reconstruction on dedicated hardware.
HELLBLADE 2 and Death Stranding 2, will make the trick of using all consoles power? I mean, the standards machines?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know I need... I want stable 60fps across the board with good (upscaled to 4k) resolution in a closed console box experience..... dont mind the price really ... happy to pay whatever they throw at me as long as the hardware justifies
Upscaling by fsr is tragic. Not sure why you would want that.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
HELLBLADE 2 and Death Stranding 2, will make the trick of using all consoles power? I mean, the standards machines?
What exactly for you is using ALL THE POWER just so we can understand what are your standards and why these consoles are not achieving them

HighPoly

Banned
What exactly for you is using ALL THE POWER just so we can understand what are your standards and why these consoles are not achieving them
Well, the game that make the best looking visual using all components!

I mean, using all resources to make a game that have amazing visuals!
I'm not talking about physics, leave this element alone yet.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No. PS4 Pro was a large resolution bump worthy of an upgrade, but I see no need to buy a PS5 Pro. Certainly not paying $599 for another 30fps.
Considering the base model is 499 and the pro would probably be 599 you are paying 100 dollars for more resolution/assets and/or more 30 fps in case by case basis... so to me is worth it ... but you are certainly not paying 599 MORE for anything

EDIT: if you are saying that you would pay 499 for the ps5 but not 599 for the ps5 pro then I digress.. is your choice and opinion so is perfectly fine

Last edited:

IDWhite

We will see what they do when they are in our hands. With 2 trailers and months of development ahead we cannot draw conclusions.

GTA VI also aims to be the new technical reference, but we'll see what it turns out to be.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Well, the game that make the best looking visual using all components!

I mean, using all resources to make a game that have amazing visuals!
I'm not talking about physics, leave this element alone yet.
They can do this.. and give matrix demo running at 15 fps... for me games are gameplay and not some pretty lights and reflections.. so running all games at 60-120fps with good acceptable resolution is enough in todays graphical standards thst are already pretty good.

Everyone is going to have different priorities so options are always nice.... therefore I see no problem in any hardware that gives you that ..

Senua

Part1 is not pushing the hardware but looks 10x better than Alan wake 2. We are talking on ps5. Not on pc
IQ is better yes for sure. PS5 pro needs AI upscaling, but even without it a nice bump to the internal res will help many newer games with poor IQ.

HighPoly

Banned
They can do this.. and give matrix demo running at 15 fps... for me games are gameplay and not some pretty lights and reflections.. so running all games at 60-120fps with good acceptable resolution is enough in todays graphical standards thst are already pretty good.

Everyone is going to have different priorities so options are always nice.... therefore I see no problem in any hardware that gives you that ..
Do you believe Last of us 3 could be prettier than PART 1 Remake? And why they didn't PART 1 better?

I hope we're not living the end of this generation possibilities... :messenger_pensive:

I doubt it'll be more powerful than Switch 2, so nah.
v8mkUwB.gif

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Do you believe Last of us 3 could be prettier than PART 1 Remake? And why they didn't PART 1 better?

I hope we're not living the end of this generation possibilities... :messenger_pensive:
We are entering in a age of diminishing returns with every new gen.. specially if you consider consoles have been stuck in the low price range for quite some time ... you cant expect to pay for the lowest common denominator that will be the standard for development AND wanting cutting age graphics/perfomance.

I would settle for establishing locked 60 fps as base for every game .. and upgrade the graphics as possible from there on
... as I said, for me games are pretty enough... give me some good fps whatver comes after that is cherry on top ... but these are just my priorities

Last edited:

Dazraell

A lot of people will buy it as they want smoother experience, which is fair and understandable. Personally speaking, I usually don't care about revisions and Pro versions so will probably skip it

Senua

Yes it will look a lot better, Part 1 was targeting TLoU2 visuals, a PS4 game.

Allandor

I would prefer a smaller PS5 (the current smaller model is not reazsmaller). This should be possible now that AMD has APUs with 10tf for mobile devices. Than a redesign of the console APU with much less power requirements should be possible.
I just want it to be a small box with bd drive. Nothing fancy. Just make it happen :)

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
We are entering in a age of diminishing returns with every new gen.. specially if you consider consoles have been stuck in the low price range for quite some time ... you cant expect to pay for the lowest common denominator that will be the standard for development AND wanting cutting age graphics/perfomance.

I would settle for establishing locked 60 fps as base for every game .. and upgrade the graphics as possible from there on
... as I said, for me games are pretty enough... give me some good fps whatver comes after that is cherry on top ... but these are just my priorities
I've thinking about PS6, and I guess the next gen will make better graphics, and the generational leap will be higher than PS4 to PS5, this time!

That's because the majority of technologies are getting mature, and developers understood we don't need to run native resolutions, like ray tracing everywhere!

I mean, FSR 4.0 or even 5.0 will be running on next machines, we could run games natively in 1440p with upscaling to 4K, with amazing performances...
Then all resources will be used to make better textures, geometry, physics, you know?

Like, if PS5 PRO get 24 Teraflops as rumors said, PS6 will be around 50 Teraflops, as much as 7900XT today, but with better technologies till the time!

Please, Is there any possibility that I am correct in this thought? even a little bit?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was actually against it, but since Switch 2 was postponed and I probably won't buy the next Xbox. I suddenly have some money left over, maybe I'll buy it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Even if some games don't get patched for the PS5 Pro, in an age of dynamic resolution, the extra power of the console means it can maintain a higher resolution, even in heavy scenes. And the same for frame rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom