• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ |OT| 116 Songs. 6 High Schoolers. 1st Rhythm Game on Switch. This is the VOEZ!

Cerium

JVu7k7E.png

UZG1USj.png
UZG1USj.png

WTPGulc.png

UZG1USj.png
UZG1USj.png

TZGNxlO.png

UZG1USj.png
UZG1USj.png

xzJHMEZ.png

UZG1USj.png
UZG1USj.png

N6gG5tR.png

jonno394

Great op! Really nice looking, thanks for the effort, Nice to be quoted too ;)

Looking forward to buying this tomorrow. Have purposefully avoided going into the diary area as want to go on fresh.

Hoping that Switch having a sightly bigger screen than my phone will make hard mode a little easier to manage!

Monumma

I'll buy this at some point in March, maybe tomorrow., if I wake up feeling like burning money.

I tried this on android but sadly it doesn't work well enough on a Kindle Fire so I actually am kinda hyped for this.

MouldyK

I getting this and hope the Touchscreen can cope...we know nothing about the greatness of the Touchscreen yet!

Someone download and tell us if it's there yet!

Cerium

I getting this and hope the Touchscreen can cope...we know nothing about the greatness of the Touchscreen yet!

Someone download and tell us if it's there yet!
Supports 10 points of input and hands on impressions have been pretty good.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is there actually any video or impressions of the Switch version? Or is this OP based entirely on the mobile versions?

dcassell

Banned
iOS version of this game is awesome. Does this come with all the songs? No microtransactions?

EDIT: Oops, OP says that. Awesome. Can't wait. I've played a TON of Cytus and wanted to play more of this despite the buying structure.

takoyaki

Great OT, I never played the mobile version but you sold me on the game

A good rhythm game that you can play in short bursts (like Lumines on PSP/PSV) is my favorite kind of launch game for a handheld.

Cerium

Great OT, I never played the mobile version but you sold me on the game

A good rhythm game that you can play in short bursts (like Lumines on PSP/PSV) is my favorite kind of launch game for a handheld.

I have very fond memories of Meteos. Wish someone would clone that game.

BTA

Awesome to see it has all the songs. Probably not grabbing it at launch since I have enough on my plate with Zelda as is, but I really enjoyed what I played of it on iOS this summer and not having to think about microtransactions would make it even better.

Intel_89

Hopefully VOEZ does well enough on the NS, I know this is a mobile port that can only be played in portable mode BUT the sheer amount of content you get for roughly 20€ is pretty great and the game itself is super fun.

Nice OT BTW cerium, great job.

Mandelbo

Really nice job on the OT! Didn't expect to see my name there either, so that was a nice surprise!

So this is definitely up in the UK eShop now, right? In that case, I'm gonna download it as soon as my Switch arrives. Really can't wait to play this on the Switch, not only because of all the songs and fact that an internet connection's no longer necessary, but also because my phone's screen isn't really big enough to play it properly - the Switch should remedy that totally!

SHarris78

What are you supposed to do when the little small white shapes appear, the tutorial looks like you're supposed to just hold your finger down, but there's already a different type of symbol for that. I think it was called the 'slide' note?

antibolo

Banned
So the Switch port removes the microtransaction bullshit of the mobile version? That's a pretty solid selling pitch right there. I'm not a fan of touchscreen-based rhythm games but I may pick this up.

Is the price 25 in Canada as well?

Hahahahaha no way that's gonna happen

rpmurphy

What are you supposed to do when the little small white shapes appear, the tutorial looks like you're supposed to just hold your finger down, but there's already a different type of symbol for that. I think it was called the 'slide' note?
White notes are slide notes. You just keep your fingers on the screen to where the notes come down instead of tapping. They make a bit more sense as to why they're called slide notes once you play some songs.

Mknzy

Nice OP! I'm planning to pick this up eventually, but don't want to overload myself right off the bat. Looks like a really interesting rhythm game to play!

takoyaki

I really like what I’ve played of Voez so far (never tried it on mobile). The controls work great on the Switch touch screen, it’s visually appealing from the nice opening to the menu design and the way notes are represented during songs. The gameplay feels like you’re playing a keyboard crossed with a harp/theremin and the game offers plenty of challenge when you start playing songs on higher levels

There’s some good songs among the large selection if you like J-pop, Electronic, Dance and Dubstep.

I found that it’s best to set down the Switch on your knees or a table, playing Voez while holding the Switch as a handheld felt uncomfortable (YMMV if you have giant hands though).

My only complaint would be that you only get visual feedback when hitting the notes, some form of rumble feedback (preferably HD Rumble support) could add a lot to the Switch Version. Right now, nothing about the game couldn’t be done on a smartphone/tablet (Not really a negative though since it’s a port).

Definitely a hidden gem and already my secret favorite launch game

Cerium

My only complaint would be that you only get visual feedback when hitting the notes, some form of rumble feedback (preferably HD Rumble support) could add a lot to the Switch Version. Right now, nothing about the game couldn't be done on a smartphone/tablet (Not really a negative though since it's a port).

Definitely a hidden gem and already my secret favorite launch game

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! In case you didn't know already, you can also get audio feedback (hitsounds) for hitting notes as well. See the Gameplay section of the OP for more.

I agree that HD rumble would be incredible.

SephLuis

Thanks to this thread I searched for this game on mobile and liked it too.

It's something nice to pass time, but the mobile version can get very, very expensive if you purchase a lot of songs. Will buy this once I get a switch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! In case you didn't know already, you can also get audio feedback (hitsounds) for hitting notes as well. See the Gameplay section of the OP for more.

You probably would not hold the joycons if you were playing this game so might not make much of a difference, might even make it worse if the rumble makes the screen shake when I have it laying flat on my lap or table.

takoyaki

Thanks, activating hitsounds makes a big difference. I looked through the main settings menu but didn't realize you had to activate them before playing a song. I read your OP yesterday before owning the game/switch and completely forgot about it.

Really good game, thanks again for the heads-up; it's keeping me from playing Zelda ;)

edit:
You probably would not hold the joycons if you were playing this game so might not make much of a difference, might even make it worse if the rumble makes the screen shake when I have it laying flat on my lap or table.
You're right, playing it in handheld mode with the Joycons attached can feel uncomfortable. I'd still like to at least try it with rumble support.

If you hold the Switch like a handheld/tablet without the Joycons attached, Voez works pretty well. I could also see HD Rumble working like the Trance Vibrator in Rez when playing it that way.

hamchan

I really enjoyed the iOS version even with all the F2P stuff in it so I'll pick this up. Will see how it plays in kickstand mode because I think I'll need two hands free with how big the Switch screen is.

Cerium

Destructoid has the first review I've seen of the game. 8.5/10!

Voez is one of those games that came out of nowhere for me. Within a 24-hour period I went from not knowing it exists, to finding out it was a Switch launch game in Europe and Japan, to realizing that it actually came out last year on mobile devices and was a pretty big hit.

Going in blind was quite the treat, because I have to say it really rounds out the Switch's launch in a way that no one is talking about (Zelda!).
There's a certain elegance to it, from the way everything controls to the beautiful music and UI. The story, involving a young group of musicians who made it big, is mostly inferred through unlocked diary entries. There's no career mode, just free play, and everything is available at the start. Even on some of the highest BPM songs that will have you slamming on the screen like Daffy Duck, the entire presentation is relaxing.

It gets really tough, too. You'll have to tap in the specific sections of the very long Switch tablet (or hit multiple sections with multi-touch) and the board morphs as the song progresses. Notes might be placed on tracks but they aren't static, and will move with the beat. There's a lot of effort put into the entire heart of the music -- not just the way it sounds, but the artwork for each of them, and the actual note tracks. Remember how a lot of the songs from DDR would tell a story just by looking at the art? I got that feeling here.
Voez is a diamond in the rough, at least as far as the Nintendo Switch eShop is concerned. The system's launch went from zero (or just Zelda) to hero in seconds flat, and as long as you're okay with a lack of a TV mode, Voez is a worthy pickup.

And here's a video of someone playing Switch exclusive song Ascension to Heaven. Allegedly it's harder than anything in the base game.

I'll definitely be picking this up next week. I tried it on my phone and tablet a while back. The "always online" feature made me not want to play it. Having all the songs available for one price on the switch is a major selling point for me.

JavyOO7

This game looks straight fire, might not beat Ouendan for me, but still seems pretty good. Will get when more cash is in my pocket. Thanks, OP.

Top Bottom