• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 5, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a fan of how they brought back the Governor. I like how his motivations are clear and relatable, but he just can't be bothered about breaking eggs to make that omelette. The whole return episode was a good exersize in studying that complicated dude.

It's what the show needs. I cared more about that character after that one episode than the entire third season. Same goes for really every character after this season.

I think the governor saga went on way too long - the show kept getting somewhere, letting go, and going back to that point of climax, letting it slide, rinse and repeat.

That said I do like having an established rival for them in their world. Excited to see what goes on with Terminus. So hype.

I think the governor saga went on way too long - the show kept getting somewhere, letting go, and going back to that point of climax, letting it slide, rinse and repeat.

That said I do like having an established rival for them in their world. Excited to see what goes on with Terminus. So hype.
I think Governor from S4 part 2 onwards was decent portrayal. They were able to show that there was a human living somewhere inside him.

HeySeuss

Carl's always a front runner because he can't keep his damn hands out of obvious and blatant trouble.

That said, I'm expecting a season of Mr. Knows the Cure dicking around and escaping the jaws of death time and time again only for him to die without ever divulging the cure in the season finale.

Damn he's my #1 and I forgot to list him. Yeah he scored points for waiting for Glenn but I think I'll grow to hate his pompousness. Plus he might be too smart for his own good. Usually the smarter you are the less common sense you have it seems. I think he definitely fits that mold.

what? No gifs on the first page? gaf be slipping
so true

ibl5EKRvSZVOhm.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I imagine he's talking about how boring the environments are, and I agree. Not very colorful surroundings. It is perpetually autumn in the Walking Dead world, with dead or dying trees and drab backgrounds. There are never any colors.

Do a few episodes in winter, or in the Appalachians where the flora is hoppin and the sky is blue.

Just do a few. It wouldn't change the tone of the show at all, and would probably add a ton of great contrast to what is going on.

Pretty much what this guy said, it's perpetually set in the same area with the same drab locales and vistas. On purpose obviously, but none the less.

I mean, last season we had the prison, a few towns, a cave, terminus (which is fairly colorful), and lots of forests with lush green trees and grass and bushes and whatnot. It would be nice to have some snow (it would certainly create one hell of a visual), but outside of that, I'm not sure what else they could possibly do given their location.

- Deadline: ‘Walking Dead’ Renewed For Season 6 By AMC
AMC said today it has renewed its record-breaking hit The Walking Dead for a sixth season. The news comes as Season 5 of the zombie drama premieres this Sunday at 9 PM ET/PT. Scott Gimple will return as the series’ showrunner/executive producer along with executive producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert, Greg Nicotero and Tom Luse.

AMC also recently announced that it has ordered a pilot for a potential companion series based on a new story and new characters from Kirkman.

Nameless

Holy shit...the premiere is Sunday!? Between life, and work, and Destiny this completely snuck up on me.

The trailer over summer spoiled the most of the premiere but fuck it, hype.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SHOCKING NEWS

Three seasons with the same showrunner...that's a record for this show, right?

Yeah, it is. There's always a chance AMC fires him before season 6 premieres though!

But seriously, I'm glad AMC is sticking with Gimple. I thought he did an admirable job in season 4 of turning a lot of the side characters into three dimensional people. It seems like he really gets that the characters matter - that if you don't care about the characters, it doesn't matter when they're in danger or killed off (something that escaped Darabont and Mazzara). It seems like his vision for the show is very character driven, which is how it should have been from the very beginning.

oni_saru

Catching up with WD.

The hunt for booze for Beth episode is the worst episode of the show so far. Makes me like the farm crap from season 2.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Brofist

He doesn't deserve Maggie
Its gonna be either Glenn or Maggie this season...and Glenn's actor was talking about making movies on his own so I have a bad feeling about him.

Its gonna be either Glenn or Maggie this season...and Glenn's actor was talking about making movies on his own so I have a bad feeling about him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beth bites it this season as well, Emily Kenney is almost 30. The disparity of what her character's age is and her own is starting to show a bit.

UberTag

I'm ultra-paranoid about Carol. Especially with the heavy pre-season Melissa McBride interview junket this time around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm ultra-paranoid about Carol. Especially with the heavy pre-season Melissa McBride interview junket this time around.

That's probably just because her character's arc has been the most remarkable - she started out as a background character in the first two seasons and then was made a main character in seasons 3 and especially 4. This nobody who everyone used to hate has become a fan favorite that regularly receives high marks for her acting. Everyone loves her so it makes sense that she's being interviewed by all these different publications.

Sadist

That's probably just because her character's arc has been the most remarkable - she started out as a background character in the first two seasons and then was made a main character in seasons 3 and especially 4. This nobody who everyone used to hate has become a fan favorite that regularly receives high marks for her acting. Everyone loves her so it makes sense that she's being interviewed by all these different publications.
I always feel that Carol is the show's Andrea.

If you know what I mean.

Carol's development reminds me of how Andrea turns out in the comic. Not exactly the same, but in terms of adapting to the new world and turning out to be one if the strongest survivors. Same way as Hershell on tv replaced Dale. Hershell is more like Comic Dale in the show.

Nodnol

Cannot wait for this. Jumped on the bandwagon last year, caught up with season 4 recently, but it's just good TV.

I enjoyed the last season, but despite some interesting threats and problems to face, it feels like whenever the group stays still for too long, the show can kinda stall.

The way the second half of season 4 was done helped give a bit more insight into the characters on a more personal level though.

I'm expecting some losses; things have been a bit too safe, with a few exceptions. The notable moments in season 4 were heartbreaking though.

Cant wait. If Daryl dies however...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The way the ratings are going for AMC, I'm sure it'll get at least 10 seasons. Even though I thought I read they were only shooting for 7, but I think that was for Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones is the 7 maybe 8 season thing. The Walking Dead will probably be on the air longer than that.

I'm equally hyped for the season as I am for the memes/gifs that will come from it. Walking Dead community is best community.

I went from not caring about a bunch of people to not wanting a bunch of them to die. My don't kill list at one point was just Rick and Daryl.

Now it's:

Rick
Daryl
Beth
Carol
D'angelo Barksdale
Michonne
Abraham
Maggie
sasha

The rest can go and I'd be semi ok to really ok. Sorry Glenn, grow a pair! Hell, I even care about Tara enough to want her to live for reasons I'm not sure of!

UberTag

I went from not caring about a bunch of people to not wanting a bunch of them to die. My don't kill list at one point was just Rick and Daryl.

Now it's:

D'angelo Barksdale
I will be SHOCKED if he survives beyond the first 3-4 episodes of this season.
Then again, I would have said the same thing about Beth surviving beyond Season 3, and yet, here we are.

I will be SHOCKED if he survives beyond the first 3-4 episodes of this season.
Then again, I would have said the same thing about Beth surviving beyond Season 3, and yet, here we are.
don't give up the dream of having the entire wire cast on there. Soon the only living people on walking dead will be rick, carl, d'angelo, cutty, string, carver, etc... We're already halfway there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fine with me, I love this show and Talking Dead. Hardwick is awesome.

I think they can keep things fresh for years by rotating cast members in and out. The only thing that stands as a barrier, I think, is the fact that The Walking Dead is essentially the story of Rick and Carl. If Andrew Lincoln wanted to leave the show after 7-8 years, then I could maybe see them ending the main series and just sticking with the spin off.

RPGCrazied

I think they can keep things fresh for years by rotating cast members in and out. The only thing that stands as a barrier, I think, is the fact that The Walking Dead is essentially the story of Rick and Carl. If Andrew Lincoln wanted to leave the show after 7-8 years, then I could maybe see them ending the main series and just sticking with the spin off.

Yeah, I hope he doesn't get tired of it. Though they could just give him more money. :p I'm sure at some point he wants to do other things. Doesn't he have a young daughter in another country?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, I hope he doesn't get tired of it. Though they could just give him more money. :p I'm sure at some point he wants to do other things. Doesn't he have a young daughter in another country?

I think his family lives in Georgia when they're filming the show.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
The Terminus people need to eat Glenn. I hate him he should have died in Season 2.

No shit, what an annoying twat.

It's odd how much I love this show. The writing is horrible. The acting is horrible but damn if it isn't just a great soap opera.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Totally forgot this was coming back already.

I'm optimistic after the great finale (though I didn't really care for S4 overall).

- EW review:
All that commotion sets the season on a compelling path, hitting the road with a purpose. This is when Dead is at its best: journeying through postapocalyptic, fun-house-mirror America. And once they can start going, they can start figuring out why they're going in the first place. B+
- SJ Mercury News review
What ensues is a dizzying, turbocharged confrontation designed to keep your nerves in a vise (or your stomach in knots). Of course, it's all punctuated with the violent reverie of an all-out zombie splat-fest. So, basically, it's The Walking Dead on crank.
Some spoilers in both of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom