• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“We Need To Redefine What Nintendo Must Do” Says Satoru Iwata

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
While Nintendo’s president and CEO Satoru Iwata will be facing a crucial challenge later this year, Iwata took time to speak with Diamond.jp about how he’ll be carrying on the will of the late president Hiroshi Yamauchi on how Nintendo should always be a company for entertainment, but not necessarily just for video games.

“Surely, a lot of people around the world must think ‘Nintendo is a company that is just for video games,’ about us, and I believe that there are more and more of our own employees who’ve begun to think like that,” said Iwata. “Some employees that are in charge of making things, are often kept positions where they have to think of how they can make the game in front of them more fun, so I don’t think it can be helped if others outside of our company think like that.”
“So, even if the fact that our focus being video games won’t be changing, I felt the need to take this occasion to say ‘Nintendo is a company that can do whatever they want’.”

Iwata continued, “This subject came to light when Yamauchi passed away, but I felt that ‘our surroundings are greatly changing. We need to redefine what Nintendo must do, from this point on’. However, I felt that saying ‘Nintendo will do anything,’ was also the wrong idea for the company.”
“At the start of this year, I finally figured that ‘improving people’s quality of life with fun,’ with emphasis to the ‘fun’ would be perfect for Nintendo. And that’s when I decided to use this as a focus during the financial results meeting in January and wrote the manuscript for the presentation.”
More at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/28/need-redefine-nintendo-must-says-satoru-iwata/

JoeM86

Before the over reactions begin, can we all just focus on this point

So, even if the fact that our focus being video games won’t be changing

Nintendo has been expanding of late and diversification in the company's business is a good thing. If it wasn't for Microsoft & Sony's other departments existing, then the Xbox One and PS4 would not be how they are. So, having Nintendo have other avenues for profitability is also a good thing.

iMax

I felt the need to take this occasion to say ‘Nintendo is a company that can do whatever they want’

wii-vitality-sensor.jpg

Heyt

Banned
The impression all of this gives me its that this company is completely clueless. Their success has allways come from avoiding direct confrontation with anyone. But now competition is fierce anywhere they are just running around like a headless chicken.

They think they can find spaces where they can operate and permorm well without major overhauls, doing things and producing like they've done in the 90s, but I think that is less likely every single day. They have to expand and try to fight their competition as equals.

They have the best IP in business, but they refuse to give it the same treatment most companies do for their software aces and hope their gimmicks on their hardware will portray them as unique and interesting. Sadly I think most people thinks what they do is develop underproduced games on annoyingly akward hardware.

"Nintendo can do whatever they want to?" I really don't think so. They can's provide good, stable online services, they take ages to adapt to new tech, and levaing their confort zone terrifies them. Covering this weak points is more important for the company than jumping ship. But its what Nintendo will do. They feel better hiding than being better.

Mory Dunz

I felt the need to take this occasion to say ‘Nintendo is a company that can do whatever they want’.”

I actually want this to be taken out of context and put into some funny memes. That'd be hilarious.

E3 GIFs.

NotLiquid

I felt the need to take this occasion to say ‘Nintendo is a company that can do whatever they want’.”

Introducing the Sakamoto sanctioned Nintendo Dakimakura line. Now you can truly feel like you're protecting Samus.

Sandfox

The impression all of this gives me its that this company is completely clueless. Their success has allways come from avoiding direct confrontation with anyone. But now competition is fierce anywhere they are just running around like a headless chicken.

They think they can find spaces where they can operate and permorm well without major overhauls, doing things and producing like they've done in the 90s, but I think that is less likely every single day. They have to expand and try to fight their competition as equals.

They have the best IP in business, but they refuse to give it the same treatment most companies do for their software aces and hope their gimmicks on their hardware will portray them as unique and interesting. Sadly I think most people thinks what they do is develop underproduced games on annoyingly akward hardware.
I really don't get this post It seems like you're saying that this isn't good because they would have to compete against other companies, but you say that they need to start competing more.

“So, even if the fact that our focus being video games won’t be changing, I felt the need to take this occasion to say ‘Nintendo is a company that can do whatever they want’.”
Good I wanna see what they come up with. Whatever it is its gonna get people talking. Its just whay Nintendo does.

"...improving people's quality of life with fun"

Along with the statement about non-wearable technology, this quote has me intrigued.

Whatever it is, I can't really blame Nintendo for trying to diversify instead of throwing all their eggs into the graphical arms race of the dedicated home console business.

Very interesting. In the Japanese, they talk about the reaction of employees to the QOL idea (some took it better than others) and how, regardless of which department they're positioned in, people who aren't willing to find ways to entertain people will struggle working at Nintendo. He also talked about wanting to maintaining differentiation from a regular electronics company.

Also, the 2nd half of the interview will be published on May 2nd.

So (obviously) they are not going to abandon games, but will be changing to a company that creates more than just games, with QoL devices being the first big step into that.

MormaPope

Banned
I hope the stuff Nintendo is working on gets shown soon, all the talk makes it sound extremely interesting. Maybe by working out/walking with the QoL device you earn a form of Nintendo currency that can be used to buy Nintendo products?

wrowa

He came up with the QOL stuff at the start of this year? And then he went on to share his visions with his shareholders just a few weeks later? God damn it, it sounds like his company is as clueless about what they are trying to do as we are.

Heyt

Banned
I really don't get this post It seems like you're saying that this isn't good because they would have to compete against other companies, but you say that they need to start competing more.

Probably my post is quite messy. In a nutshell think they should completely focus on their gaming business: update their standards production wise, make functional and atractive hardware instead of "unique" products for the sake of it and cover up their other weakpoints. I think all this QoL its just running away from competing and improving. The thing that they have allways done and has led WiiU to be the clusterfuck it is today.

I think Nintendo should also go back to making traditional toys and games like the stuff they were making in the '70s. Many adults like myself would probably want to buy them just to collect them.

Sandfox

Probably my post is quite messy. In a nutshell think they should completely focus on their gaming business: update their standards production wise, make functional and atractive hardware instead of "unique" products for the sake of it and cover up their other weakpoints. I think all this QoL its just running away from competing and improving. The thing that they have allways done and has led WiiU to be the clusterfuck it is today.

They need to do both. Fixing the problems they're currently having in gaming is their biggest concern and creating extra sources of income is something the company has needed to do for a while.

JoeM86

The thing is, as I said, the reason Sony and Microsoft could go the way they have with their consoles is because they have other, diverse, departments to "pick up the slack" so to speak in times of loss, especially with Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't have that which is why they have had three years of operating loss and two of net loss.

They can't "catch up" without having other avenues of revenue to offset the ridiculous cost.

Heyt

Banned
They need to do both. Fixing the problems they're currently having in gaming is their biggest concern and creating extra sources of income is something the company has needed to do for a while.

Yeah well, remember how the DS was going to be the "third pillar"? I don't think they are going to continue to focus on games if this QoL "extra resources" have more success than their home console offering. If this thing goes I'm pretty sure they will jump ship and hide like they like to do lately.

They can't "catch up" without having other avenues of revenue to offset the ridiculous cost.

I don't agree. Catching up means expanding their workforce, getting new tools, instructing veteran crew on them, displaying new infrastructures, etc. They have a warchest so huge they could do that 3 times in a row without halving it. If the manage to create a successful hardware proposal they would have an alternative income source to games. But to do that they have to espend, expand and learn new things. And Nintendo hates that. The only thing they want is to find people that is ok with their dated ways. Not live up to the general expectations.

Munkybhai

The thing is, as I said, the reason Sony and Microsoft could go the way they have with their consoles is because they have other, diverse, departments to "pick up the slack" so to speak in times of loss, especially with Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't have that which is why they have had three years of operating loss and two of net loss.

Stop talking sense, people just want to see expensive hardware with no innovation in user experiences at bargain basement prices from Nintendo. Because, you know, Nintendo is a toy company and so can't charge anything over $100 for their stuff.

Tregard

Soothsayer
These statements make me curious as to just how polarised the QOL stuff will be from their games hardware and software. Do people reckon that the QOL will still show elements of game mechanics, or do people think it will be completely distinct and lacking any sort of gameplay? Nintendo knows they do games well, I'm wondering whether this will incorporate anything from that, or if it is detached entirely.

MilkybKid

Neo Member
I think all this QoL its just running away from competing and improving. The thing that they have allways done and has led WiiU to be the clusterfuck it is today.

He stated that they are not moving away from the video game business, so not quite sure how this is running away. You can dislike the WiiU but it is a definite improvement on what they previously offered (the Wii)

Diversification is a good thing for most companies as long as you don't forget the core values. Guessing the QoL stuff will be an extension of WiiFit and things like that (or am I understanding it wrong). Can safely say its not the stuff for me, prefer gym and outside running, but will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Maybe they should go back as well and go back to cards and toys and leverage the IP they have in that fashion. I'm sure they could make a fair bit with boardgames/card games based on Nintendo IP's.

Yeah well, remember how the DS was going to be the "third pillar"? I don't think they are going to continue to focus on games if this QoL "extra resources" have more success than their home console offering. If this thing goes I'm pretty sure they will jump ship and hide like they like to do lately.
I doubt you have anything to worry about then.

The nascent concept of a leapfrogging profit-generating non-wearable smile-producing health care thing is apparently launching in 2015 into the massive blue ocean devoid of competition that is healthcare technology...

spekkeh

Banned
It makes sense, given that Nintendo had breakaway success with their game for health brain training, social nintendogs and exergames Wii sports and Wii fit. Much more than their dwindling AAA games.
It's also an increasing market with an ageing society that's embraced play. But yeah this
He came up with the QOL stuff at the start of this year? And then he went on to share his visions with his shareholders just a few weeks later? God damn it, it sounds like his company is as clueless about what they are trying to do as we are.
leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and that's discounting that I just stepped off an intercontinental redeye and haven't brushed my teeth in quite some time.

Sandfox

There's too much potential money in their SW for them to just leave gaming. QoL is supposed to be rolled out over time and for it to take over like that sales would have to be crazy high for quite a while before they would ever be confident enough to leave the gaming market.

I'd say that peripherals like the balance board and vitality meter are evidence of Nintendo trialing Quality of Life products long before the announcement. Companies generally don't announce what they're working on until they have an idea of what they're going to do.

Sami+

- KSSSHHT - "C-CAPTAIN IWATA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?"

-KSSSHHT - "WHATEVER THE HECK I WANT."

*blows up Nintendo HQ*

QoL better not be shit

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Brain Training and Wii Fit were already QOL stuff, what he recently came up with is the idea of giving a platform of its own to that kind of software.

Really curious to see how it's going to turn out even though I'm probably not the target for it.

Heyt

Banned
There's too much potential money in their SW for them to just leave gaming. QoL is supposed to be rolled out over time and for it to take over like that sales would have to be crazy high for quite a while before they would ever be confident enough to leave the gaming market.

Their portable gaming side is doing well, I don't think they'll abandon that. But their home console its going to be replaced for sure by this new business. Maybe not this or next gen. But probably eventually, depending on how well it goes and for how long.

big_z

brining fun to people can mean a lot of things. heres the new vitality censor to keep track of your fun level.
WqPlOCA.gif

Shiina

How can they roll up an entire new direction for the company when they can't even support two gaming consoles at once?

I thought the guy (Iwata) knew what he was doing and they made the right decision by not firing him and giving him more time/money but now I'm not so sure anymore.

Maybe they should go back as well and go back to cards and toys and leverage the IP they have in that fashion. I'm sure they could make a fair bit with boardgames/card games based on Nintendo IP's.

Not a bad idea. I wonder how long Nintendo can ride the nostalgia of their IPs. I grew up with Nintendo, and still love a lot of what they do. Kids growing up now though have a lot more options for entertainment. Will Mario and Link still have the same appeal in 10 years? 20 years?

These statements make me curious as to just how polarised the QOL stuff will be from their games hardware and software. Do people reckon that the QOL will still show elements of game mechanics, or do people think it will be completely distinct and lacking any sort of gameplay? Nintendo knows they do games well, I'm wondering whether this will incorporate anything from that, or if it is detached entirely.

Yeah, I'm curious as to how 'game-y' they will be. If I recall correctly, he spoke about how he wants to leverage their knowledge as a game maker to inform those QOL products, so perhaps they will be game-y without being full-on games, like a Wii Fit type of thing?

brining fun to people can mean a lot of things. heres the new vitality censor to keep track of your fun level.
WqPlOCA.gif

big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(Today, 08:26 PM)

Their portable gaming side is doing well, I don't think they'll abandon that. But their home console its going to be replaced for sure by this new business. Maybe not this or next gen. But probably eventually, depending on how well it goes and for how long.
But "probably" never. Cant see that happening at all unless the entire industry changes.

Aruhamel

Banned
“At the start of this year, I finally figured that ‘improving people’s quality of life with fun,’ with emphasis to the ‘fun’ would be perfect for Nintendo.
So more games in the vein of Wii Fitness and more marketing campaigns consisting of commercials of 60-year olds exercising in front of their tv?

Heyt

Banned
How can they roll up an entire new direction for the company when they can't even support two gaming consoles at once?

They may not have gotten the grips on HD development already, but for sure they can do whatevert they want as long as it brings smiles to faces!

But "probably" never. Cant see that happening at all unless the entire industry changes.

Changes on the industry don't affect Nintendo. Their only reaction to that is hiding like they are doing now. They'll never face change upfront.

Top Bottom