• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘John Wick 5’ Back on the Table After Box Office Blowup

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
“There’s a will and there’s an openness. And you could certainly interpret that ending in different ways,” said Drake. “We’re all going to take a tiny rest here and then scratch at ideas about whether there’s a credible way to get into five. But there’s no guarantee.”

It’s a potential about-face for the creative team, as Stahelski has stated he and Reeves were fairly certain this was the end. The director had previously considered making the fourth and fifth films back to back, but the idea was scrapped once the ending of Chapter 4 was decided upon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ck-on-the-table-box-office-blowup-1235361085/

I mean...fuck yeah. I don't care how they do it...just do it. Would it make sense? Nope. Do I want it? Oh HELL YEAH!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
UH9m7q1.gif

Brings into question when it's right for something to rest or carry on for meagre returns. The trilogy used to the be standard for many years, but that has been supplanted by ongoing instalments. I've only watch the first John Wick movie and thought it was solid, I've seen clips on Youtube of the other movies and they're more of the same solid action. Lance Reddick's death has put a dampener on the franchise as well. This is one of the reasons why I hate the latest Fast & Furious movies, they're still pushing the narrative that they're doing it in memory of Paul Walker, but are they really?

I had actually never watched this series, but booked a ticket to part 4 for last night. Watched part 1 last weekend but did not really enjoy it that much, but part 4 last night blew me away. What an awesome film, and I am not even a dog lover. ;p

Last edited:

Locutus

Lance Reddick's death has put a dampener on the franchise as well. This is one of the reasons why I hate the latest Fast & Furious movies, they're still pushing the narrative that they're doing it in memory of Paul Walker, but are they really?

Before you get too worked up about the impact of Lance Reddick’s death, you may want to watch John Wick 4. It’s not going to be an issue.

I'm torn.

The series is ending on an incredible high and this one is my favourite in the series.
Is there any more compelling stories to tell after this? There's still room to explore the inner workings of the high table.

BUT I don't want the series to become a cash cow pumping out sequels just to make a buck but risk ruining the story. Neither do I want any spin offs.

I think John's end in part 4 is a perfect conclusion to that character.

Keep going or end it here at part 4. I'm so torn.

Let’s be honest. It’s not gonna top 4. Let poor John go out on top and make way for new assassin spin off series.
Besides, Keanu needs to start work on Speed 3 this year!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Let’s be honest. It’s not gonna top 4. Let poor John go out on top and make way for new assassin spin off series.
Besides, Keanu needs to start work on Speed 3 this year!

I am looking forward to the Anna De Armis (sp?) ballerina spin-off that is supposed to be in the works. She was awesome in her cameo in the last Bond film. I guess every generation gets an actress that just comes off as natural in action stuff.

And of course she's easy on the eyes.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I am looking forward to the Anna De Armis (sp?) ballerina spin-off that is supposed to be in the works. She was awesome in her cameo in the last Bond film. I guess every generation gets an actress that just comes off as natural in action stuff.

And of course she's easy on the eyes.
It's not supposed to be in the works...they finished filming it a long time ago and Keanu talked about his role in it haha.

JayK47

Hmmm. I'd like them to wrap it up personally. Even though I am a fan. If they want to make more movies in the same "universe" and maybe John Wick does a cameo.

BTW, I have yet to see John Wick 4. By time I have time, it may not be in theaters. So I may just buy the blu ray.

Pejo

I'm torn.
You and me both. The end of 4 was an acceptable stopping point. Not AS good as it could have been, but I'm willing to leave it there.

I want more John Wick, but I decidedly do not want "oh here's John's illegitimate child that he had 20 years ago in Singapore, he's carrying the mantle", nor do I want 2.5 hours of Dog guy or angry Japanese daughter.

If Reeves comes back, I'd watch it, but boy they're going to have to do a whole next level of asspull to get it to work, and give him a reason to fight.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You and me both. The end of 4 was an acceptable stopping point. Not AS good as it could have been, but I'm willing to leave it there.

I want more John Wick, but I decidedly do not want "oh here's John's illegitimate child that he had 20 years ago in Singapore, he's carrying the mantle", nor do I want 2.5 hours of Dog guy or angry Japanese daughter.

If Reeves comes back, I'd watch it, but boy they're going to have to do a whole next level of asspull to get it to work, and give him a reason to fight.

Some spoilers to 4 and where it could go:

I could see the High Table ignoring their own rules to end John once and for all, finding where he is hidden or driving him out by killing his last few remaining friends. Then John finally finishes it all by killing the high table and destroying the assassin heirarchy for good

But honestly I enjoyed where 4 left it and I would be fine if the series ended on such a high note.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
While I wouldn't mind more John Wick, can't we just let something end on a high note instead of milking it into the ground?
Friday the 13th, Saw, and Scream hit their hardest notes at the sixth film. Horror, yeah but JW6 could be the GOAT you know?

Some spoilers to 4 and where it could go:

I could see the High Table ignoring their own rules to end John once and for all, finding where he is hidden or driving him out by killing his last few remaining friends. Then John finally finishes it all by killing the high table and destroying the assassin heirarchy for good

But honestly I enjoyed where 4 left it and I would be fine if the series ended on such a high note.
I see where you're coming from with that scenario but that would mean the high table basically abandoning the laws they set in place to wreck havoc on one man and eventually everything being complete chaos with them living like the animals as Winston always says.

Why risk it all just to take out John. Granting him his freedom (be it dead or alive) is such a satisfying end to his story which is why I won't be sad if this is indeed the end of it all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I see where you're coming from with that scenario but that would mean the high table basically abandoning the laws they set in place to wreck havoc on one man and eventually everything being complete chaos with them living like the animals as Winston always says.

Why risk it all just to take out John. Granting him his freedom (be it dead or alive) is such a satisfying end to his story which is why I won't be sad if this is indeed the end of it all.

I agree completely, but it is an idea of where they could try and take it while still keeping in rough theme of escalation and a villain that has reason to hate/distrust Wick.

Personally I would rather they just end the series here (or the very least John) and follow others in this universe. I do love the mechanics of how everythign works and i think they could have an easy way to create an "expanded mythos". Similar to how James Bond could easily be a massive world if they ever decided to not focus on James for a movie.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Things don't have to be realistic or believable to be fun.

I didn't say they had to be, but when 2 guys are holding up their little bulletproof jackets and shooting point blank at each other for 5 minutes like they're playing nerf with their 4 year old sister, it kind of loses the impact.

I legitimately couldn't stop laughing during the "stairs" scene.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't say they had to be, but when 2 guys are holding up their little bulletproof jackets and shooting point blank at each other for 5 minutes like they're playing nerf with their 4 year old sister, it kind of loses the impact.

I legitimately couldn't stop laughing during the "stairs" scene.

I mean, you are supposed to. It is levity during a tense situation.

I do think it went a little overboard with the suits and more fantastical elements, but rule of cool and all that. Shit was awesome. Same reason why I love watching Fury Road. None of it makes sense, but it looks freakin' awesome and that is all that matters.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I mean, you are supposed to. It is levity during a tense situation.

I do think it went a little overboard with the suits and more fantastical elements, but rule of cool and all that. Shit was awesome. Same reason why I love watching Fury Road. None of it makes sense, but it looks freakin' awesome and that is all that matters.

Fury Road is the best action movie in the last decade.

John Wick 4 isn't even close and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I wanted to like it. I love the first movie. John Wick 4 is quantity over quality. There were a handful of scenes I really liked, but it jumped the shark.

Also, Keanu's delivery was some of the worst I've literally ever seen in a movie. And I love Keanu. The Matrix is my favorite film.

I dunno. I was really disappointed.

Last edited:

Pejo

Fury Road is the best action movie in the last decade.

John Wick 4 isn't even close and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I wanted to like it. I love the first movie. John Wick 4 is quantity over quality. There were a handful of scenes I really liked, but it jumped the shark.

Also, Keanu's delivery was some of the worst I've literally ever seen in a movie. And I love Keanu. The Matrix is my favorite film.

I dunno. I was really disappointed.
Fair feelings to have. I wouldn't say you're wrong about any of it. Truth is though, there's genuinely so few 90s style action movies of man vs. army type action that I can completely shut off my "must make sense" part of the brain and just enjoy the spectacle, choreography, and stunts. This movie is like an entire movie of pretending you're a ninja as a kid and swinging your plastic sword around the house. It's just stupid cool fun.

YCoCg

Mixed feelings, 4 felt like it wrapped things up well and went out on a high note, it feels like a perfect ending.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

lol this movie will never stop being the best thing ever

Edit: this movie is on HBO One if you dare to find your better, more purer self

Edit 2: if you have not seen this movie, you really need to see it. Words cannot describe how awesome it is when Jet Li's various personas from other dimensions come on screen with Delray Lindo and the British guy

Last edited:
I'm torn.

The series is ending on an incredible high and this one is my favourite in the series.
Is there any more compelling stories to tell after this? There's still room to explore the inner workings of the high table.

BUT I don't want the series to become a cash cow pumping out sequels just to make a buck but risk ruining the story. Neither do I want any spin offs.

I think John's end in part 4 is a perfect conclusion to that character.

Keep going or end it here at part 4. I'm so torn.

One thing I think John Wick has stayed true to form with is not just going more bombastic with each release, like some Bruckheimer one-upmanship sequel run. Wick movies are generally different settings and styles being brought through the same treatment as the first movie's successes. It's an aspect I've really enjoyed about the series and wish gaming would do similar more often. Although I haven't seen the 4th entry yet, seeing it this weekend, so I could be talking out of my ass.

FeralEcho

Maybe its time to end some series on a high. Its possible people went to see this in droves BECAUSE it was the last one.

Kinda like Halo 3 Finish the Fight. 15 years later, we are still fighting the fight and no one cares anymore.
This.But nope milk milk milk and then wonder wtf went wrong.

pramod

Banned
Im not sure if we really need a John Wick 5 but we need more movies similar to it. Theres just been such a dearth of well written action movies with iconic characters.

Pejo

Hell yes, the first movie was brilliant.
I read an article a while ago that they were actually in talks for a sequel. Wonder if it ever panned out.

Im not sure if we really need a John Wick 5 but we need more movies similar to it. Theres just been such a dearth of well written action movies with iconic characters.
That and revenge movies. I am literally always up for a good revenge movie. Payback, the Punisher films, etc.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
It'd have to be a prequel if they went this route, right? They cannot continue the story as if it was still the future. It's such a perfect ending for his character. I'd be really disappointed if was a "gotcha"

Last edited:

The Skull

It'd have to be a prequel if they went this route, right? They cannot continue the story as if it was still the future. It's such a perfect ending for his character. I'd be really disappointed if was a "gotcha"

There's a few things to indicate that he's not actually dead. Fresh grass at the grave, not been dug up, Winston and kings chat about where he is (heaven or hell) "who knows?", The dog perking up looking offscreen. I think there's deliberately a certain ambiguity to it which is fitting. I hope they leave it as is.

they are shitting out these movies for fun. i liked the first two but it's basically just the same old thing. almost as bad as the crappy marvel super hero movies. it's just keanu reeves turning up to play keanu reeves and shooting people. of course he is the internet's crush and wet dream so nothing negative should ever be said about him! the guy is a hack and along for the ride.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
John wick is exciting they’ll dust off the franchise in a few years going the bond route would be a good way to go. I don’t think John wick is the only one.

Top Bottom