• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Matrix Resurrections’ Would Have Moved On Without Lana Wachowski If She Didn’t Volunteer To Direct

SJRB

Gold Member

If you’ve watched The Matrix Resurrection, you might remember a scene where the character Smith (played by Jonathan Groff) takes a jab at Warner Bros possibly leaving Lana and Lilly Wachowski (the originators of The Matrix franchise) behind to direct another Matrix film. Well, turns out that’s not just hyperbole.

They mistakenly use "film" in this quote but it should be "videogame".

Anyway, this explains SO much.

SJRB

Gold Member
The movie probably would have turned out better without any of the Wachoswkis involved.
But it does kinda explain the crappy self-deprecating meta-commentary sh*tting all over the trilogy.

I'd rather see a new director who actually wants to do it than this movie by a director who very, VERY clearly didn't want to do it.

This project was doomed from the start with a premise like this. Forcing someone to do something they don't want to only to prevent someone else taking a swing at it is not a very healthy creative environment, and it shows.

I also wonder how much shit was mandated by WB, like putting in Morpheus and Smith at all costs.

ManaByte

I'd rather see a new director who actually wants to do it than this movie by a director who very, VERY clearly didn't want to do it.

This project was doomed from the start with a premise like this. Forcing someone to do something they don't want to only to prevent someone else taking a swing at it is not a very healthy creative environment, and it shows.

I also wonder how much shit was mandated by WB, like putting in Morpheus and Smith at all costs.
If WB did their reboot it would‘ve been written by the guy who write X-Men: The Last Stand and Elektra with Michael B. Jordan as Neo.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This movie should be used as a study case on how these Hollywood people don’t bother reading scripts, watching dailies, or whatever really.

Just stick two names together and hope for the best. Well congrats, you just spent a hundred million dollars on a kickstarter fan movie.

Article buries the lede that apparently WB still wants Lana Wachowski to make a fifth movie, but after this one flopped so hard at the box office, I'm wondering if they're going to change their tune.
Since the release of The Matrix Resurrections in theaters and on HBO Max, the critical and fan reception has been mixed. Despite this, WB wants to keep the franchise going with a fifth movie and they want Lana Wachowski to return as confirmed by the studio’s CEO Ann Sarnoff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So who wrote this movie? The suits over at WB or Lana?

I just dont see the suits making a pretentious piece of shit like this. They would make something big and dumb, yes, but nothing so meta and boring.

So they will make this movie that flopped and is not well liked and still want to do another one with the same director, but WB won't get Zach Synder back to do more DCEU movies or a sequel to his Justice League even though his movies made money?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I saw an interview with her where she said she came up with the idea to do it as a way to handle some grief and that’s why the movie exists at all. Was that a lie?

Dream-Knife

Banned
It should have ended at the first one; left open to be a metaphysical question. This newest movie is basically a parody of the first film.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Its meh with, would've been meh without. There was no win situation for watchers either way. Keanu should've said no.
Keanu pretends he doesn't care about money, but he cashes every paycheck they offer him. He should have said no to 2 and 3, but he did those too.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It's amazing how suddenly Reloaded and Revolutions are regarded as flawless masterpieces.

I guess it's like how people now think the Star Wars Prequels are good after screaming for six years how George Lucas raped their childhoods and driving the cast members to attempt suicide.

0234215.jpg
20_69.jpg

perhaps_i_treated_you_too_harshly.png

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Has there been a worse actor in the history of cinema that has made it big than keanu reeves? His acting is legit terrible, always has been.
Sean Penn. John Wayne. Stallone has dropped his share of turds. Steven Seagal.

Excess

A thought just popped into my head after watching Dune, and I think Denis Vellnue could've done a good job. He seems to at least unserstand source material well, and his film aesthertic would work well for a new Matrix film, a film that was originally very dark and melancholy.

Also, I think the Wachowskis are one-trick ponies. Other than V for Vendetta, much of their work is boring and overly pretentious crap, even the original Matrix sequels. It's as if, like George Lucas, they lost sight of what made the original a masterpiece.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Has there been a worse actor in the history of cinema that has made it big than keanu reeves? His acting is legit terrible, always has been.
Yeah but he's an upstanding human being without wanting the attention for it so he gets the pass and I hate the normies who think he's the GOAT for John Wick movies.

It justifies the meta handling of shitting on WB but it ain't gonna save a bad movie at least.

Last edited:

Konnor

WB fucking sucks.
A thought just popped into my head after watching Dune, and I think Denis Vellnue could've done a good job. He seems to at least unserstand source material well, and his film aesthertic would work well for a new Matrix film, a film that was originally very dark and melancholy.

Also, I think the Wachowskis are one-trick ponies. Other than V for Vendetta, much of their work is boring and overly pretentious crap, even the original Matrix sequels. It's as if, like George Lucas, they lost sight of what made the original a masterpiece.

They didn't even direct V for Vendetta, they just produced it.

The problem is one of the brothers/sisters wrote great stories….the other could direct and had an eye for great action scenes….we got the first one but as a result of not having the other one we got the mess that was resurrections

I think the story was an interesting idea but it was executed poorly

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm confident the film would have been better with a different director involved and a more coherent story. I had low expectations for this film when I found out Lana Wachoswki was involved. The Wachoswkis have directed a decent film since the original Matrix. Actually surprised Lana was even considered for the job.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As soon as I heard the line in the movie I thought, "have they intentionally tanked this?" but I just don't think they're that smart when you look at their entire filmography. I think it's just bad.

They didn't even direct V for Vendetta, they just produced it.

They wrote the screenplay. Also, the director was the assistant director on The Matrix and even directed that new UE5 thing with Lana.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The Rock. Arnold. Most of the big action stars can't act their way out of a shithouse. Arnold has charisma for days though so that helped him.

TheTurboFD

I mean it wasn't a good movie. They would have been smart to give such a movie to Denis Villeneuve, other than him I'd say throw the whole movie away.

GloveSlap

The Rock. Arnold. Most of the big action stars can't act their way out of a shithouse. Arnold has charisma for days though so that helped him.
Keanu used to have charisma too, but its rapidly fading for me as he gets older. Ever since like John Wick 3 he just seems tired and bored.

SJRB

Gold Member
Keanu used to have charisma too, but its rapidly fading for me as he gets older. Ever since like John Wick 3 he just seems tired and bored.

In fairness, the dude had nothing to work with in this movie. Literally 75% is him stumbling around looking scared or confused.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If they are to do a fifth movie, they have to do it right away.

I have a feeling it's gonna end up like The Neverending Story 3 though.

Flutta

Banned
Glad i didnt watch this garbage. Could smell the stink from far. These two brothers and WB can go fuck themselves for all i care. Everything thats comes out of Hollywood is basically garbage and poison to your brain.

wondermega

Blomkamp might have had an interesting take on this, maybe even Josh Trank if his own history had gone differently. I guess there really aren't many well-known names out there who could successfully tackle something like this nowadays. At least it didn't end up feeling like an off-the-shelf Marvel thing.

Top Bottom