• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ delayed to Memorial Day Weekend 2022; ‘Mission: Impossible 7’ delayed to Fall 2022, 'Jackass Forever' to Feb 2022

SJRB

Gold Member
Spider-Man will be next. "Theater exclusive" won't go well for them considering the re-rise of the pandemic. Pretty sure everything will just move to next year in the summer when cases are a bit less.

Last edited:

Cravis

EdLz5xz.gif

Christ it looks like any movie worth seeing is going to be a cyclical thing going forward. Theaters may as well be closed September-May if this is how its gonna be, such bs. How long before the new Bond film follows suit yet again?

Last edited:
Damn. I was really looking forward to Jackass in theaters next month - they're (the Jackass movies) some of the most fun theater experiences to see on opening weekend . A few months isn't too bad though.

Mission Impossible isn't a surprise, I know they've had to start and stop production a couple times so they're going to make sure it gets it's money at the box office

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Spider-Man will be next. "Theater exclusive" won't go well for them considering the re-rise of the pandemic. Pretty sure everything will just move to next year in the summer when cases are a bit less.
Spider-Man might be the only one that actually does make it through because of the enormous amount of hype that is surrounding it. It's such a huge IP that it's hard to imagine it failing in any major way.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Disney decides to play it safe anyway.

Spider-Man might be the only one that actually does make it through because of the enormous amount of hype that is surrounding it. It's such a huge IP that it's hard to imagine it failing in any major way.

I'm sure it will succeed but not by the amount Disney hopes. Ppl will go see it but a lot of ppl will probably wait as well. It's a tough risk. I don't want it delayed, it's probably going to be the best thing to watch after such a dull cinematic year.

McCheese

No rush, it's not like Tom Cruise is aging or anything.

I wonder if this will delay the Flight Simulator DLC? I was really looking forward to getting a Tomcat to fly around in game.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm sure it will succeed but not by the amount Disney hopes. Ppl will go see it but a lot of ppl will probably wait as well. It's a tough risk. I don't want it delayed, it's probably going to be the best thing to watch after such a dull cinematic year.
True. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Spider-Man broke the Endgame trailer record. Sony doesn't want to delay what could be the first billion dollar movie after the pandemic.

kunonabi

Looks like just Fathom events for me until Ghostbusters then. I don't know how I'll cope if that gets delayed again.

NickFire

Son of a bitch and fuck me sideways, this sucks. I've been looking forward to Top Gun 2 since the first trailer I don't even know how long ago.

I'm starting to hope some of these movies bomb just because I am sick of getting excited and then let down when they worry they won't make enough hundreds of millions.

Fbh

If regular movies have been pushed forward 1-2 years, I wonder how many decades Avatar 2 has been pushed back by the pandemic

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. While streaming has siphoned off some of the early pandemic releases, there has gotta be a HUGE pileup of stuff just waiting to be released. How are studios holding on to all of that debt? Are they delaying filming/SFX work on a years worth of movies, will there be a post-pandemic flood followed by a year of nothing, or are they gonna try to milk what they have until the production pipeline is full again?

I gotta think this will bump Bond again :(

zeioIIDX

Weird as fuck, I was literally just thinking about Top Gun: Maverick today and I don't even know why. It popped into my head earlier and I kept thinking about how badly I wanna see whatever new tech he is flying (that black jet). Now, I get onto GAF and find out not only is there a thread about it, the movie is delayed. Again -_-

TheMan

Good god TG2 just keeps getting delayed massively. I was really looking forward to that one, but I guess paramount is hoping for near normalcy before sending it out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. While streaming has siphoned off some of the early pandemic releases, there has gotta be a HUGE pileup of stuff just waiting to be released. How are studios holding on to all of that debt? Are they delaying filming/SFX work on a years worth of movies, will there be a post-pandemic flood followed by a year of nothing, or are they gonna try to milk what they have until the production pipeline is full again?

I gotta think this will bump Bond again :(

Top Gun has been finished for years. The other studios are pretty much back to normal filming stuff again.

Paramount just is desperate for these to be "normal" theater hits.

I never liked the ultra-cheesy Top Gun, but strangely enough, I was anticipating the sequel...Covid has fucked us for more than 18 months straight...😐😐😐

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Fuck these movies.
Fuck the politicians who keep shutting shit down.
Fuck the movie theaters that won’t grow a pair and hold the producers feet to the fire.
Definitely fuck the producers.
Most of all FUCK COVID.

Ill now be watching these at home. All hype for new movies is just… gone.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I understand that Paramount are struggling and need a huge box office hit, but these delays still suck. When did the first Top Gun trailer land? Was it 2019? Three year delay from trailer to release must be a new record.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Christ it looks like any movie worth seeing is going to be a cyclical thing going forward. Theaters may as well be closed September-May if this is how its gonna be, such bs. How long before the new Bond film follows suit yet again?
We have Shang chi this month they wouldn’t dare to delay 007 again would they? They’ll reach Persona 5 level of delays here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Color me shocked that Disney plus and a lot of the streamer channels don't forcefeed trailers before shows. I think only Amazon and Hulu do this. So without cinemas to hype me or my kids on films, there is no desire to really see them. Makes it much easier to just wait. Viscious cycle for theaters.

SegaShack

I honestly think the studios need to give up on theatrical release money. It's clearly not coming back. People have too much to watch at home. Just release it for purchase on digital services, bluray, and theater release day one. Let the consumer decide.

Gp1

3 years of delay for Top Gun.

Almost 10% of Mavericks 30 plus years of service, Combat medals, citations...

It's one of life's mystery...

At this rate they are losing more money with inflation than anything :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
I wonder if this is part of the fallout between ScarJo and Disney. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a bunch of backend money at stake in the form of box office revenues.

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom