• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Game of Thrones” S8 Runtimes Revealed

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Gonna be so rushed. Why did they even introduce Theon's uncle so late in the game. What a useless character.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gonna be so rushed. Why did they even introduce Theon's uncle so late in the game. What a useless character.

It's rushed because homeboy can't be fucked to finish the book right now as far as I know. He's been working on so many side projects in the interim as well.

And now with all this prequel talk, WTF.

I'm definitely excited and looking forward to the final season, but it almost feels cookie cutter just to get it finished.

Yeah this isn't even as long as the combined LOTR trilogy and that felt rushed in parts.

I don't know guys. I'm afraid. Hold me.

It's rushed because homeboy can't be fucked to finish the book right now as far as I know. He's been working on so many side projects in the interim as well.

On top of this, he does his word processing/writing on a 1980's era computer and program, and touch types with two fingers.

Frankly he'd be better off with some paper and a pen, or a typewriter.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah this isn't even as long as the combined LOTR trilogy and that felt rushed in parts.

I don't know guys. I'm afraid. Hold me.

On top of this, he does his word processing/writing on a 1980's era computer and program, and touch types with two fingers.

Frankly he'd be better off with some paper and a pen, or a typewriter.

You can just get the Dragon software and just speak into the damn thing, like people have been doing for two decades now.

It even has dragon in the name. Holla at me G R R.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I guess it’s just going to be battles going forward and HBO didn’t give the budget for anything too large as per usual.

TheUsual

Gold Member
At this point, I'm ready to watch this rollercoaster come to an end. Maybe some day we'll get to read the books.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Now that they have discovered teleportation and travel huge distances without thinking about it, they dont need too many episodes.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Looking forward to see how the show ends. I am curious to see how different it will be from the books if they are ever finished.

Also do we know for sure if this is accurate? They specifically said that there would be fewer episodes, but that they would be much longer per episode.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I'm definitely excited and looking forward to the final season, but it almost feels cookie cutter just to get it finished.

^ On Point

Basically, the show went past the books and into the detailed outline that GRRM game the writers some time back which is why the show has sped up because the showrunners don't have much of anything to draw upon. If they tried to pad it out, peiople would equally complain so they're between a rock and a hard place tbh. I won't deny that they're made some missteps along the way, but at the same time, I'm not going to shit on them because GRRM turned out to be a humungous procrastinator the more famous he became. The show is what it is, and I'm excited to see how it concludes. Mayhap GRRM might finish the book series but given his current pace as well as the army of internet apologists eager to tell anyone that 'he isn't their bitch' (thank you, Neil Gaiman, for being GRRMs biggest enabler ) as well as the gruesome twosome for Westeros.org sucking up his precious time with their history of Westeros money spinners I think increasingly it's unlikely to happen.

Looking forward to see how the show ends. I am curious to see how different it will be from the books if they are ever finished.

Also do we know for sure if this is accurate? They specifically said that there would be fewer episodes, but that they would be much longer per episode.
Yeah, they said the episodes were "movie length", hence I'm a bit disappointed because this is not much different compared to season 7
  • Episode 1: 59 minutes
  • Episode 2: 59 minutes
  • Episode 3: 63 minutes
  • Episode 4: 50 minutes
  • Episode 5: 59 minutes
  • Episode 6: 71 minutes
  • Episode 7: 81 minutes

Last edited:

DKehoe

TV Euron is such a different character from book Euron. I really wonder why they brought him in since I can't see him playing any kind of significant role in the next season. I was looking forward to seeing how the show would portray him but they shouldn't have bothered. They really dropped the ball on a lot of the AFFC and ADWD stuff.

LOLCats

Banned
less and less episodes they calling a season now. This is why i dont sub HBO anymore. Good content is too short. And honestly new good content is few and far between.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
why doesn't grrm just dictate to some speed demon super processor editor person

For many years now, nearly all of his notablog and Facebook updates have been about the Jets, pizza crawls, book signings, HBO parties, and new Wild Cards books.

His writing process broke down with AFFC and ADWD, which he referred to as the Meereenese Knot. When we finally saw what was holding him up for the better part of a decade, it wasn't based in reason, and he effectively ruined several of his best characters to facilitate the serendipitous Meereen meeting. His original idea had been to do a five year time skip instead, which would've seen the series finished by now.

He doesn't *need* to only write on his ancient DOS computer at home. It's just an excuse. His blog posts would explain how he would get back to writing just as soon as football season finished, or just as soon as his six month worldwide book tour finished. Yet he would complete other projects regularly, editing Wild Cards books, writing ASOIAF lore books, writing Dunk and Egg stories. Anything but his true purpose.

The Meereenese Knot broke him, and he is having a good time with his success instead.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
For many years now, nearly all of his notablog and Facebook updates have been about the Jets, pizza crawls, book signings, HBO parties, and new Wild Cards books.

His writing process broke down with AFFC and ADWD, which he referred to as the Meereenese Knot. When we finally saw what was holding him up for the better part of a decade, it wasn't based in reason, and he effectively ruined several of his best characters to facilitate the serendipitous Meereen meeting. His original idea had been to do a five year time skip instead, which would've seen the series finished by now.

He doesn't *need* to only write on his ancient DOS computer at home. It's just an excuse. His blog posts would explain how he would get back to writing just as soon as football season finished, or just as soon as his six month worldwide book tour finished. Yet he would complete other projects regularly, editing Wild Cards books, writing ASOIAF lore books, writing Dunk and Egg stories. Anything but his true purpose.

The Meereenese Knot broke him, and he is having a good time with his success instead.

damn shame, glad he's having a good time with success though

fuck it bro, enjoy yourself

Valonquar

BOOKS. Not one, TWO books left. He released the 2nd book 2 years after the first, and the third 2 years after that. There was 5 year wait for the fouth book, and a 6 year wait for the last. A Dance With Dragons came out July 12, 2011. It's been nearly 8 years and still no The Winds of Winter. Following that trend, can we expect A Dream of Spring to come approx 10 years after the 7th book. I have zero faith he will actually release both books before his demise. He's going to take so long that either way I just don't much care anymore.

The HBO abridged version of the story is close enough to make do I suppose. I just wish they had more faith in the show in the first season. They really skipped a lot of scenes early on to save on budget and then focused more on showing T&A. The entire early Dany scenes with Drogo were so different in the books!

Don't even get me fucking started how they introduced Golden Company.

TV Euron is such a different character from book Euron. I really wonder why they brought him in since I can't see him playing any kind of significant role in the next season. I was looking forward to seeing how the show would portray him but they shouldn't have bothered. They really dropped the ball on a lot of the AFFC and ADWD stuff.

Not to mention completely different plot lines. With the entire plotline of Euron having the dragonbinder omitted. Plus the Old Town plotline as well with the geomancer assassin dude..

Instead we get "HARRRRRDDDY HARRR HARRR IM A FUCKING PIRATE THAT LIKES FUCKING" tv trope 101 Euron Greyjoy.

damn shame, glad he's having a good time with success though

fuck it bro, enjoy yourself

I mean it's whatever, but it is kind of a bummer that we'll never get to see the resolution of important plot lines that aren't in the show like Stone Heart.

edit: Like it's completely clear that the show writers have zero fucking ideas on what to do with certain characters now that so many plot lines have diverged from the books. With none more apparent than Brienne who's basically "just there" in the show ever since it passed the books. She's simply just there doing nothing and it's clear the writers had no idea what to do with the character.

Last edited:

As soon as GOT got real big on HBO I could tell he really dose not care about writing the books anymore. Makes me feel sorry for the book readers.

Top Bottom