• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“They wouldn’t go union” – Troy Baker on why Gearbox didn’t use him for Rhys in Borderlands 3.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We recently got a chance to talk to Baker during a fan event for Retro Replay, a Let’s Play series the actor hosts alongside the other Troy Baker, Nolan North. During our chat, he was openly disappointed that he didn’t get a chance to play Rhys again in Borderlands 3.

“So they came to me, and they were like, ‘Do you want to do this?’,” Baker explained. “Which I said, ‘Absolutely.’ And then they made it impossible for me to do the role. It had nothing to do with money, it had nothing to do with money. They just simply would not go about doing it the way that we needed it to be done. So then it was like, I never said no.”

We asked Baker to clarify what he meant by this, be it scheduling conflicts or something else.

“No, it was simply a matter of they wouldn’t go union,” he replied. “And I can’t do a non-union gig. And without getting too deep into the weeds of that, we had long conversations about this. We always knew going into it, that this was going to be the thing. They were going to take these characters, and put them from the Tales from the Borderlands series from Telltale, into Borderlands proper. I’ve been waiting for this call. They were like, ‘Do you want to do this?’ And I said, ‘Yes’. They never, because they would never move from that position. I’m not mad. It’s invariably a completely different character, but it still stings.”

What's the difference between a unionized Voice Cast and a non-unionized Voice Cast?

Seriously replies only.
It has to do with the payment status of the project.

A “Union” production follows the guidelines of any contracts for actors, musicians, technical staff, etc. There are specifics about what type of work can be done, for how long, and how much they’ll be paid. There are union rates (called “Scale”) which is the minimum amount someone will be paid under contract. An A-List star would receive many (many!) times greater than scale, but once you join the union, you are guaranteed scale rates.

It has to do with the payment status of the project.

A “Union” production follows the guidelines of any contracts for actors, musicians, technical staff, etc. There are specifics about what type of work can be done, for how long, and how much they’ll be paid. There are union rates (called “Scale”) which is the minimum amount someone will be paid under contract. An A-List star would receive many (many!) times greater than scale, but once you join the union, you are guaranteed scale rates.

This is fantastic, thank you!!

Graciaus

I'm all for hating on gearbox for the decisions they made about BL3. But this particular story should be ignored since it's being spread around the internet with false information.

The game has union actors even from his same union. They just didn't go 100% union workers. That is where the issue with his contract is but no one knows the specific reason.

FranXico

“So they came to me, and they were like, ‘Do you want to do this?’,” Baker explained. “Which I said, ‘Absolutely.’ And then they made it impossible for me to do the role. It had nothing to do with money, it had nothing to do with money. They just simply would not go about doing it the way that we needed it to be done. So then it was like, I never said no.”

We asked Baker to clarify what he meant by this, be it scheduling conflicts or something else.

“No, it was simply a matter of they wouldn’t go union,” he replied. “And I can’t do a non-union gig. And without getting too deep into the weeds of that, we had long conversations about this. We always knew going into it, that this was going to be the thing. They were going to take these characters, and put them from the Tales from the Borderlands series from Telltale, into Borderlands proper. I’ve been waiting for this call. They were like, ‘Do you want to do this?’ And I said, ‘Yes’. They never, because they would never move from that position. I’m not mad. It’s invariably a completely different character, but it still stings.”

"It's not that I said no, but I said no".

Carna

Banned
Literally the "you took my only food now I'm going to starve" Patrick meme from SpongeBob. But with any popular voice actor since 2005.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Last edited:
I'm all for hating on gearbox for the decisions they made about BL3. But this particular story should be ignored since it's being spread around the internet with false information.

The game has union actors even from his same union. They just didn't go 100% union workers. That is where the issue with his contract is but no one knows the specific reason.

SAG-AFTRA won't really make a big deal if someone that's not a big name takes a job that's mixed with non-union talent. Especially with voice acting. Your not really technically "supposed to" but it happens.

However since Troy Baker is one of the biggest names in the industry talent wise I'm betting the union made a big deal about this and told him not to do it unless Gearbox went 100% SAG-AFTRA.

It also could just be Troy Baker's own political stance that made him not want to do it.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I remember one over-worked programmer saying it’s ridiculous that the voice actors make far more money than the developers do - and in a fraction of the time.

I’ve no idea how much these actors make, but if I had to work 12 hours a day on a game, and some voice actor came in and made in two weeks what it took me two years to earn, I’d be pissed.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
must be nice to have the privilege of refusing work. that only comes with having a long career full of high profile gigs. im sure the person taking his place is glad.

IMO he's a lucky hack who fails upwards. i've never found him that interesting, he sounds like a generic white dude in every game and film he's in. no doubt this clout chasing is good for his brand. will probably just make him more money in the long run.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
He has like over 50/100 voice roles under this belt, why it matter if he couldn't repraise one? Are voice actors simply that greedy......

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember one over-worked programmer saying it’s ridiculous that the voice actors make far more money than the developers do - and in a fraction of the time.

I’ve no idea how much these actors make, but if I had to work 12 hours a day on a game, and some voice actor came in and made in two weeks what it took me two years to earn, I’d be pissed.

Same thing happens with film as well.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
funny, I will never work for a union... So I guess I would never cross paths with this dude.

Miles708

Everyone has different roles and every work is different. A normal person most probably couldn't do voice work for 12 hours a day anyway, because he would soon hit his physical limits.
That said, if your work requires you to stay 12 hours a day to earn a respectable amount of money, where others make the same money working sane hours, maybe you're mad at the wrong people.

DiscoJer

In Star Trek Online, they actually had to stop using development people (who were non-Union) to do voices because the union for the other voice actors objected.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Be pissed then, or better yet put that energy into learning to be a more specialized and in demand talent. What do you think is more common, a high skilled A level VO talent or a Average:high skilled programmer?

That’s like complaining a Hollywood A lister makes more than a Hollywood A list Editor. It’s silly and completely throws out the idea of specialized in demand talents that are limited and valuable.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
What do you think is more common, a high skilled A level VO talent or a Average:high skilled programmer?

I think you’ve no understanding how difficult it actually is to graduate from university with a computing degree - even getting accepted to a good university is extremely difficult.

Voice acting? Pfffft. I know a half a dozen people in my circle who are outstanding actors. Acting is cake, dude.

Enjay

Banned
I think you’ve no understanding how difficult it actually is to graduate from university with a computing degree - even getting accepted to a good university is extremely difficult.

Voice acting? Pfffft. I know a half a dozen people in my circle who are outstanding actors. Acting is cake, dude.
There are thousands upon thousands of programmers out there. Oversaturation is a bitch.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Lol, I think you have a warped sense of reality if you think difficulty of degree or job equals higher pay/more in demand skill. And the fact you think acting is cake shows a complete lack of respect or understanding for what a great actor can do and the skills they develop. Is it as hard as being a programmer? No likely not, but is being a Great voice actor a less common, more desirable and worth more pay skill? You best believe it.

Again, the exact same metaphor, do you think a A list Hollywood editor makes more than a A list Hollywood actor? I promise you us editors go through a hell of a lot more school than those actors ;). None of us are complaining we are making 200k vs 2.5 million. We know which skill is more rare and in demand and who is easier to replace.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Lol, I think you have a warped sense of reality if you think difficulty of degree or job equals higher pay/more in demand skill. And the fact you think acting is cake shows a complete lack of respect or understanding for what a great actor can do and the skills they develop. Is it as hard as being a programmer? No likely not, but is being a Great voice actor a less common, more desirable and worth more pay skill? You best believe it.

Again, the exact same metaphor, do you think a A list Hollywood editor makes more than a A list Hollywood actor? I promise you us editors go through a hell of a lot more school than those actors ;). None of us are complaining we are making 200k vs 2.5 million. We know which skill is more rare and in demand and who is easier to replace.

The thing is, great voice acting is not in high demand in videos games. If it were, Gearbox would have moved mountains to get Baker.

Most game companies would jump thru 100 hoops to get a great coder.

Actors simply have unions that some companies have to deal with and that's why some of them have leverage. It has nothing to do with where voice actors sit in the food chain when it comes to decisions about where to spend money in development.

Do game companies want the best voice actors they can get? Sure. But what they bring pales in comparison to- for ex- a fantastic coder who can improve the rendering engine so the visuals look 10% better or an animator who can make the lead character feel like a bad ass.

So your theory of 'the most in demand gets the most money, regardless of skill' is 100% correct. But it's wrong to apply it in this situation. Especially since- as we see- Troy ISN'T working on the game as Gearbox refused to go 100% union because (clearly) they didn't feel it would be worth the cost.

Jaffe

Enjay

Banned

Reality will hit programmers even harder in a few more years as kids are being taught program in elementary school. How cheap do you think it'll be for programmers when you can hire one that dropped out of high school?

Bkdk

Yes normally programmers do take more skill but every project they are looking for a few particular voice actors, it’s like top 0.1% of the entire field. Of course their earnings will be higher then most of the programmers. If you are top 0.1 % within the programming field, your earnings will easily top the voice actors. Problem for programmers is you have to compete with people around the world, while voice actors’ usually only have to beat other native English speakers.

Siri

Banned
Reality will hit programmers even harder in a few more years as kids are being taught program in elementary school. How cheap do you think it'll be for programmers when you can hire one that dropped out of high school?

The vast majority of people would never get through an undergrad in computing science. Typically there are one or two courses that exist specifically to filter students out. In my day, at my university, there was a requisite mathematical proofs course, which in the prof’s own words ‘could not be taught’. You could either do the proofs, or you couldn’t.

But anyway, this is all just a digression from the main point. When a voice actor earns in two weeks what it takes a hard working dev two years to earn, then something is wrong.

Top Bottom