• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$10.10 Minimum Wage Could Lift About 5 Million Out Of Poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

In the short run yeah it will lift 5 million out of poverty, after a few months when price raised, it will end up dragging people already making around $10 before the increase into poverty.

Why not just increase food stamp and rental assistance coverage instead?

Because if you have a full time job you should not be struggling hand to mouth. If that means companies and shareholders have to accept lower profit margins, I will shed no tears.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Actually, with more people earning money, you have more people spending money. Businesses then get more customers and clients and can expand their business, instead of struggling to protect what they already have.

Keeping cash flow at the top if not frozen is a form of austerity. Pumping cash to the middle and lower brackets is pro-growth.

Dead Man

Actually, with more people earning money, you have more people spending money. Businesses then get more customers and clients and can expand their business, instead of struggling to protect what they already have.

Keeping cash flow at the top if not frozen is a form of austerity. Pumping cash to the middle and lower brackets is pro-growth.

Yeah, but the people who make the decisions don't think that is the case.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

This is the reason why I've always found arguments against welfare to be so silly. Because it's ALWAYS getting pumped in the economy even if some scrooge is using it exclusively to fund his video game playing habits.

Valnen

I come from a family that absolutely refused to accept to live in the circumstances in which we were born in, we have all pick ourselves from our bootstraps, we know firsthand what hard work and perseverance can do. It happens every day, everyone in the end reaps what they sowed.

Difficult but not impossible, I am not stating that people who work hard will be as wealthy as the next hedge fund manager overnight, but they certainly have a shot at getting themselves out of any situation with enough conviction.

It's very easy for lazy people to try and brush off that hard work will get you ahead in life, I understand everyone wants to get more money for nothing and are unwilling to persevere those are the kind of people that are stuck at minimum wage.

And there it is. Hahahaha.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
not when the cost of living goes up for some strange and unexpected reason

THIS IS A MYTH

I have to bold it, because people need to stop repeating this.

Most poor people have no discretionary income, they can only pay obligatory expenditures, sometimes only by accumulating debt. Increasing the minimum wage will not cause obligatory expenditures to rise in prices since everyone, not just poor people, pay for those expenses, but poor people will have either more money to pay off their debts or more discretionary income, so it's a win-win situation for the economy since discretionary spending is one of the best economic stimulants.

The only thing that might go up is rent, and that's why you need regulations to protect poor tenants from unjust rent increases, because landlords should not be allowed to increase rent just because a poor person has had a pay increase.

/thread

Valnen

But... how can it be a "right"? I mean, a "right" isn't something you're allowed to do - it's something that no one can stop you from doing; The right to free speech, free association, the right to vote etc. How can something like a living wage be a "right" - what if no one wants to employ you for that much money?

Then they should be punished for not meeting the minimum, which should be a living wage. It shouldn't be a choice for them to hire people for less than a living wage.

It's pretty amazing how many people feel comfortable simultaneously taking the moral high-ground whilst personally insulting people.

It is insulting that a poster continues to trot out the "If you work hard, you will have more opportunities in life" meme.

It's a harmful, inimical belief that is one of the root causes of the U.S.' inability to get its economy jumpstarted - namely our inability to help the unemployed. After all, "IF THEY ONLY WORKED HARD, THEY WOULD HAVE MORE OPPORTUNITIES IN LIFE." So let's cut their benefits, BECAUSE THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR THEM TO WORK HARD.

So yes, I think this is one fucking case where people can take the moral high ground while personally insulting people.

Probably very few? Do you have proof for that? Also why do you keep calling the 33% greedy when your only proof is that Walmart (a large, publicly traded company with stockholders) is greedy?

Walmart isn't my proof, I'm simply saying they have the similar reasoning.

Also, I find it humerous to think one needs proof to accept that owners are greedy.

If you don't directly ask a specific number, people will assume that you are talking about a general increase or the idea in general. It's a type of bias. In Canada, if you poll Queckers on if they thinking "Quebec should become a sovereign country", you usually get 50% saying yes, but if you ask if they want to "separate from Canada", support drops to the mid-20s. How you phrase a question changes people's answers. Once you start talking in terms of dollars, people will hold on more tightly to their wallets. I mean, ask yourself "Do you want an iPad"? And then ask yourself "Do you want to pay $600 for an iPad"? Two entirely different questions to me.

Of course, but this really isn't the case here and you know it. You're trying to turn this into an argument over semantics but the reality is most Americans support a minimum wage hike to 10.10: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/01/minimum-wage-poll_n_3691118.html

So unless that 20% is entirely small business owners when 2/3 of them support a "minimum wage hike" without a stated number, it's pretty safe to assume most, if not all, that 2/3 support a $10.10 wage hike. I think it's safe to assume they all assume a $10 minimum wage hike.

Why don't we need to hear from them? Do they know employ a large number of people? IF their reasons include inability to pay, why would that not be relevant?

If their reasons are "inability to pay," then they're going to go under very soon regardless of a minimum wage hike. This often gets lost on people.

Their reason is "it will cut our profits" to which I have a small violin playing (oh, and yes, I've experienced in small businesses).

So you agree that those 66% agree to pay because they can afford to pay, and don't lose any competitive edge when the wage is increased. That's called an ineffective price floor. To those businesses, having a higher minimum wage and no minimum wage are one in the same (ignoring competition). These businesses are usually hiring skilled workers, whose wages are already determined by market forces. These aren't restaurants, speciality stores and the like, those who are more likely to be affected by a minimum wage increase.

Yeah, and minimum wage workers earning more means more money to spend on their good, which is good. The point is that small businesses have to compete for skilled labor and rarely employ unskilled labor outside the food sector (who is already exempt from the minimum wage law). That's why only 15% of small businesses pay someone minimum wage or less and with most of those being restaurant jobs exempt, the actual percentage of those paying out minimum wage is almost irrelevant. And the same goes for near minimum wage.

It is the big businesses who fear a minimum wage hikes because it will eat their profits in addition to making their products less desirable (income effect!).

Most evidence shows that increase in minimum wage is negligible, non-existent effects on poverty, but has a negative effect on youth unemployment. Card/Krueger found a different result, albeit they compared the minimum wage increases of a more manufacturing based economy (Pennsylvania) to a more service-based one (New Jersey). Regardless, they took they compared the employment rates the moment the increase took effect to the period of time afterwards. They didn't start their data points from a period of time before the increase took effect. One could argue that businesses do their layoffs before the minimum wage hike took effect, the Card/Krueger study did not account for that.

This is completely wrong. Most evidence shows huge positive effects on poverty and nearly non-existent effects everywhere else. Card/Krueger was only the first in a long line of studies demonstrating this. Your argument is nothing but Neumark's BS argument (I'll mention him again later) which Card/Kruger addressed in a later paper and refute.

Regarding youth employment, this has also been refuted. Neumark's study was directly refuted by this paper: http://www.irle.berkeley.edu/workingpapers/166-08.pdf

In fact, some studies show it increases youth employment: http://moya.bus.miami.edu/~lgiuliano/minwage_prepub.pdf

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=654069 or www.cbc.ca/​bc/news/​bc-110429-fraser-institute-minimum-wage.pdf
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=961374[/QUOTE]

The first link is Canada and I'm not bothering with it. The second link doesn't work and you're liking the Fraisier Institute, a libertarian think tank. The final is from Neumark and Wascher (the latter is a complete schill for conservative think thanks and corporations, btw) and Neumark is pretty much the only current American economist pushing the minimum wage is bad argument (besides when Wascher pops his head up from the sewers) and his own papers have been thoroughly refuted numerous times to the point that he goes back and re-does them after they've been refuted. There is no reason to take Neumark's research seriously as anything he's done before 2012 has been destroyed and sent to waste bins. Neumark himself, when confronted with the data he found, admitted the effects are negligible but essentially argued it didn't matter because basically if it has a negative effect of 0.00000000001, then it shouldn't be allowed regardless of the positive effects.

If you want to read stuff not being pushed by an agenda, I'd start here: http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/min-wage-2013-02.pdf

casabolg

Banned

That is not a flat rule, however. It depends on the size of minimum wage regulation. We'd have to see which is more efficient for businesses and consumers, especially since the money they spend isn't guaranteed to come back to those individual businesses at all.

Dead Man

That is not a flat rule, however. It depends on the size of minimum wage regulation. We'd have to see which is more efficient for businesses and consumers, especially since the money they spend isn't guaranteed to come back to those individual businesses at all.

But the money lining the pockets of 'job creators' is guaranteed to come back to the people it came from? Of course not. But if the overall situation improves, then that is good enough. Unless you only want systems to change when no party to the system may be worse off with the changes :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're right the money won't immediately find it's way back to certain businesses. Hedge funds for example, won't be seeing any new customers. Clothing stores, small businesses, restaurants, grocery stores, big chain stores, movie theaters and that sort of thing are going to see most of the immediate benefit from an influx of new consumers with more money to spend on their products. Eventually that money will work it's way back up the chain, creating more spending as it does, until it reaches the top. Then it'll get taxed or used as payment for workers and find it's way back down again.

The flow of money through an economy is like the circulatory system. If the economy is healthy that money will flow through the economy and everyone will get their hands on it eventually, if it isn't healthy the money will stagnate and that causes problems. The longer it goes on the worse the problem gets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
UP the minimum wage to $10?!?!? Jesus, how do people live?! Our minimum wage is double that.

Basically? The social safety net.

Businesses can get away with paying so little because we as a nation decided that we should try and help the poor. Businesses are taking advantage of our kindness towards each other and using that kindness to fuck us up our collective ass with no lube and a sandpaper condom.

casabolg

Banned
But the money lining the pockets of 'job creators' is guaranteed to come back to the people it came from? Of course not. But if the overall situation improves, then that is good enough.

The overall situation needs to account for hurting businesses that may not receive benefits from a potentially small boost in spending and what exactly those hurt businesses are doing in reaction to being hurt by legislation.

You're right the money won't immediately find it's way back to certain businesses. Hedge funds for example, won't be seeing any new customers. Clothing stores, small businesses, restaurants, grocery stores, big chain stores, movie theaters and that sort of thing are going to see most of the immediate benefit from an influx of new consumers with more money to spend on their products. Eventually that money will work it's way back up the chain, creating more spending as it does, until it reaches the top. Then it'll get taxed or used as payment for workers and find it's way back down again.

I have very little faith in it properly trickling upward to all the places or most of the places that are affected by this. We just need to find a fair balance.

UP the minimum wage to $10?!?!? Jesus, how do people live?! Our minimum wage is double that.

Probably cheaper goods + government benefit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have very little faith in it properly trickling upward to all the places or most of the places that are affected by this. We just need to find a fair balance.

The people who benefit from this increase aren't going to be able to sit on that money, they'll have to use it to survive. To pay bills and put food on the table. The money won't stagnate because there won't be enough there to stagnate. There will always be someone to buy or pay for at that income level. All this will do is increase their purchasing power, which will lead to them buying more things, which will eventually lead to more profits.

The reason money can stagnate at the top is because eventually you run out of things you can spend it on. Imagine being paid 10 million a year for 3 years. The first year, you'll find plenty of things to buy. Houses, cars, planes, jewels, vacations and that sort of thing. The next year you won't have as much to buy because you've already bought so much, so you will still be spending money but not nearly as much as your first year. The third year you'll be spending the same or maybe even less. There's only so much you can spend it on, a lot of what's left will stagnate. The people who benefit from this hike will not have that problem. That's why it won't stagnate and will eventually find it's way back up.

benjipwns

Banned
Why not raise it to $35 an hour? More economy juicing spending, more taxes from people moving into higher brackets, higher average wage rankings, more Recovery Summers, fewer non-competitive businesses. Where's the downside?

This kind of pussyfooting is why I don't vote.

Why not raise it to $35 an hour? More economy juicing spending, more taxes from people moving into higher brackets, higher average wage rankings, more Recovery Summers, fewer non-competitive businesses. Where's the downside?

This kind of pussyfooting is why I don't vote.

Because the minimum wage is an attempt to try to adjust for a assymetric information and monopsony power.

In a perfectly competitive market, no one would be earning something as low as our current minimum wage.

We cannot raise the number to any hyperbolic number. The number does matter.

Dead Man

The overall situation needs to account for hurting businesses that may not receive benefits from a potentially small boost in spending and what exactly those hurt businesses are doing in reaction to being hurt by legislation.
The overall situation is one vague condition.
Probably cheaper goods + government benefit.
We have much better welfare than the US. It is still busted, but at least it is better than the US.

casabolg

Banned
The people who benefit from this increase aren't going to be able to sit on that money, they'll have to use it to survive. To pay bills and put food on the table. The money won't stagnate because there won't be enough there to stagnate. There will always be someone to buy or pay for at that income level. All this will do is increase their purchasing power, which will lead to them buying more things, which will eventually lead to more profits.
Yes, yes, I understand it on a collective level. As long as you generalize businesses as a whole and just mention "the economy" it becomes very simple to work with but if you charge some of these businesses within that collective more money that they may not see returned to them they will have to do something to make up that cost, which may in turn affect the amount of income workers there receive. If the business is not directly affected by the spending on "bills" and "food" then the cost per worker per hour definitely does add up.

Dead Man

Yes, yes, I understand it on a collective level. As long as you generalize businesses as a whole and just mention "the economy" it becomes very simple to work with but if you charge some of these businesses within that collective more money that they may not see returned to them they will have to do something to make up that cost, which may in turn affect the amount of income workers there receive. If the business is not directly affected by the spending on "bills" and "food" then the cost per worker per hour definitely does add up.

You seem quite happy to collectivise the working poor, but not happy to collectivise the businesses.

casabolg

Banned
You seem quite happy to collectivise the working poor, but not happy to collectivise the businesses.

?
Your comment is pretty strange to me. It sounds more like an attack to character but if I were to defend your judgement on me - businesses are a lot more varied than the demographics that are involved in minimum or low wage work, which are studied often so we can make larger statements about the group as a whole and the demographics within them.

Edit: Far too late. Heading out. You all have a nice night.

You did it again in this post. Individual businesses compared to demographic groups rather than than individual people.

...and I just justified it too by saying we have the data to correctly judge the working poor collectively and by their individual demographics. However, I'm not judging businesses individually either. I'm just breaking the whole collective of "businesses" into smaller demographics. Now goodnight.

Dead Man

?
Your comment is pretty strange to me. It sounds more like an attack to character but if I were to defend your judgement on me - businesses are a lot more varied than the demographics that are involved in minimum or low wage work, which are studied often so we can make larger statements about the group as a whole and the demographics within them.

Edit: Far too late. Heading out. You all have a nice night.

You did it again in this post. Individual businesses compared to demographic groups rather than than individual people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The money will eventually find it's way back up the chain though. These businesses that won't benefit immediately are the sort that tend to cater to the rich already. If this is really going to drive them out of business then they haven't been doing a good enough job.

Stores like Sears and Walmart are going to see more customers spending more, so they'll be fine. McDonald's will be the same, people will have more money to spend on their crap food. Before you say anything about the dollar menu let me just say they've phased it out already, last year. Movie Theaters will see more customers because people will have more money to spend on leisure. Book stores will be the same as will airlines, as now people will have money to go on vacation with. All the shops on your main street will start seeing more traffic as a result of the hike. What businesses won't benefit at all? Hedge funds? Investment banks? Yacht shops? I think they'll be fine.

benjipwns

Banned
Because the minimum wage is an attempt to try to adjust for a assymetric information and monopsony power.

In a perfectly competitive market, no one would be earning something as low as our current minimum wage.

We cannot raise the number to any hyperbolic number. The number does matter.
Why can't we correct the market to be even more competitive? Just phase it in over time if you can't do it right away which should be the only complaint. Denmark is at $20 or something without any ill effects, so moving to something even more sane and humane just makes rational sense.

What should the number be then if it has to be harsher and leave more in relative poverty?

Why can't we correct the market to be even more competitive? Just phase it in over time if you can't do it right away which should be the only complaint. Denmark is at $20 or something without any ill effects, so moving to something even more sane and humane just makes rational sense.

What other countries are at is irrelevant. What matters is purchasing power within a given country. $10 here could be higher than 20 euro in germany, for example.

What should the number be then if it has to be harsher?

That's a hard thing to answer, but it should probably be industry specific.

All I know is we're well below the number right now.

Dead Man

Where's that? Sounds like there has to be a catch.

There is. Property is unaffordable. Food is a bit more expensive. Petrol(gas) is much more expensive. Clothes are more expensive. But most of those are the result of distance from other markets and fucked up government policies with the real estate market rather than high wages.

Edit: LOL, just realised I didn't answer your question. It is in Australia.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't understand how people are claiming the minimum wage is directly correlated to rental home prices. It's just not true.

The high price for rental units is largely an issue of supply and demand. When the housing crash occurred and the barrier to home ownership was raised, many owners became renters after they lost their homes and the poverty rate rose across the board, supply could not keep up with demand and rental prices rose in most of America.

There are other reasons such as young professionals that tend to move away from their hometown and are renters for an extended period of time. the same also goes for the workforce in general where longterm employment at one company is less normal then in the past. Add to that the downward pressure on wages occuring all over the country and the result is many people can't afford the down payments or the credit requirements to buy a home in today's economy. Then you throw in the return on investment of rental units versus stand alone homes along with the large ownership conglomerates in many areas that dont want to build new properties and make it difficult for new devlopers to move into the market and there isn't a large rush to meet the growing rental demand.

Taking into account all of that and I really don't see how raising the minimum wage is going to be the determining factor for higher rental prices. In fact if anything a raise in the minimum wage could actually alleviate some pressure on individuals trying to meet rent and governments having to subsidize living expenses for the poor.

rCIZZLE

There is. Property is unaffordable. Food is a bit more expensive. Petrol(gas) is much more expensive. Clothes are more expensive. But most of those are the result of distance from other markets and fucked up government policies with the real estate market rather than high wages.

Edit: LOL, just realised I didn't answer your question. It is in Australia.

Bringing up the catches was kind of a question so I appreciate both answers. :p

Still though, had a mini-daydream about the possibility of $20 minimum wage in the dirt cheap area of the US I grew up at. No way I would have went to university.

GatorBait

Does anyone know if an increase in the minimum wage to the proposed $10.10 an hour would have any type of significant affect on the amount of public assistance paid through welfare programs? Are there any studies that try to quantify this amount?

This is true, problem is there is less than zero political will to enhance any of these. We live in a country where ANYONE who takes any of these transfers, including and especially those who are duly employed, are lazy welfare cheat bums stealing from the righteous Real Americans and are probably commies too. Raising the minimum wage doesn't have that political baggage to it.

Shit, there are kids going to bed hungry tonight, in the USA.

The food that people can afford is crap, while we are at it....

oneils

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2012.htm#2

By and large, that woman doesn't exists. But...but...here is this example. The country has more than 300 million people. We have to deal with abstracts when setting policy.

People under 25 make up about half of the minimum wage earners. Only 1.6 million American's earn the minimum wage which is .005% of the population. The fact that she's unmarried means she is 4x more likely to earn the minimum wage than if she was married.

Want to know something else? Most minimum wage earners tend to be white and middle class. They are either kids or people who are earning supplementary income.

It wouldn't just raise the wages of 1.6 million people. It would raise the wages of all the people making under 10.10 an hour and not just those making the current minimum.

That would change the demographics affected.

Also, the impact would be minimal. Over the last 15 years, minimum wages has gone from 6.85 an hour to 10.50 an hour in the province I live and it's impact is minimal. Cost of living increases are hardly impacted by minimum wages.

Do most people opposed to a minimum wage increase realize that, when someone is getting minimum wage, there's really good odds that everybody ends up paying for that person's wages, instead of just the business owner?

Basically? The social safety net.

Businesses can get away with paying so little because we as a nation decided that we should try and help the poor. Businesses are taking advantage of our kindness towards each other and using that kindness to fuck us up our collective ass with no lube and a sandpaper condom.

But we do that too and still have a minimum wage that you can live on.

Shit, there are kids going to bed hungry tonight, in the USA.

Maybe that's another problem. I would say that fast food here (Aus) is more expensive than healthier options.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Misnomer, while many poor as fuck areas have atrocious produce selection, if you have even the most basic of culinary skills you can cook semi healthy stuff for dirt cheap.

Problem is we don't teach those skills to kids in America so when they grow up poor as fuck they think the dollar menu is a replacement for cheap meals at home.

I've had teammates on sports teams who had NEVER seen raw chicken until they came over for dinner. Think about going 18 years and when someone says chicken your first thought is a fucking chicken nugget.

Shit like this makes me proud that at my work we never pay anyone minimum wage just out of principal. Even though legally we don't have to pay them anything (the home for them originally offered to PAY us!) we even pay the mentally challenged people who come for a few hours a week with a supervisor to learn job skills more than minimum wage.

Minimum wage = You're worthless I'd pay you less if it wasn't illegal. Minimum wage/minimum effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom