• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Minutes of New Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Gameplay

Lokimaru

I really don't look for Games like this to have Great Combat since it's more about the Story for me. A game with shitty game play and a great story will keep me playing a lot longer then a game with great game play but a shitty story. I can smack mooks around in any game, It's all about the Why for me. Give me a good enough reason why and I will shake the pillars of heaven to see it through.

Stygr

Banned
I really don't look for Games like this to have Great Combat since it's more about the Story for me. A game with shitty game play and a great story will keep me playing a lot longer then a game with great game play but a shitty story. I can smack mooks around in any game, It's all about the Why for me. Give me a good enough reason why and I will shake the pillars of heaven to see it through.

I'm the opposite, i put gameplay over the story in some games.

xclaw

I liked what I saw, the only complain I have is how close the camera is to her. Hope there's a way to make it zoom out a little more.

Harlequin

who said every? there should be at least SOME feedback there though. instead she's basically pirouetting around an enemy that's randomly doing attack animations but having no impact on the scene at all. it's just gash.

There is some feedback, just not on every strike.

ArjanN

all enemies should react though. nothing she did paused or delayed it's animations or anything, she may as well have been hitting him with a feather it would have had the same results. .

The first enemy in the video is clearly a bigger bruiser type, that type of enemy generally also doesn't stagger easily in other action games, it's a gameplay balance thing that makes it so you actually have to dodge and can't just wail on everything stunlocking it to death. Pretty much all of Platinm games/DMC etc also have enemies like that.

drotahorror

There is some feedback, just not on every strike.

Regardless of the big boss or w/e not being staggered by most attacks (which wouldn't make any sense anyway), it does look like nearly every attack leaves a wound which is definitely cool. Most games don't dare even think of leaving that kind of feedback.

We need more knife/sword and gun wounds. Shit looks dumb as hell now a days when you blast someone with a 45 and nothing happens but a puff of blood. Or you slice someone with a chain whip full of blades on it and not even leave a mark.

All complained about GOW and its new over the shoulder close camera fights. Here it is very excessive and we can barely see enemies and the secenery. I hope it won't affect the gameplay and the fights, getting hit by enemies not possible to be see on screen.
Anyway. I hope the PS4 PRO will get maxed out graphics and we get a demo to try this out.

Risev1

All complained about GOW and its new over the shoulder close camera fights. Here it is very excessive and we can barely see enemies and the secenery. I hope it won't affect the gameplay and the fights, getting hit by enemies not possible to be see on screen.
Anyway. I hope the PS4 PRO will get maxed out graphics and we get a demo to try this out.

Seems the game has an interesting workaround to it though. At some point, while she was about to get hit by an enemy behind her, one of the voices whispered "behind you"

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yeesh the combat looks weightless. How did they go from making DMC's awesome combat to this?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
"I've never heard of this game, I wonder if it any -- Oh it's one of 'those' games where the gameplay is an afterthought and all the developers care about is cramming their shitty story down our throats. Yay".

Oh my. At one point I was actually looking forward to Hellblade. There is nothing about this game that looks 'fun'. The combat is boring, and there is something really off with the camera movement that I can't quite put my finger on.

The small nature of the game is also showing because it appears to be padded with a lot of filler. We've got wave based combat. Check. We've got 'find the symbol in the environment'. Check.

Luminaire

I want to like the combat but it looks like she's stuck in quicksand/mud the entire time with how slow she dodges and rolls and steps back. :(

PulseONE

I don't know why, but the sound of the door opening not matching the movement of the door at 4:40 really bothered me for some reason xD

Probably because the rest of the sound design seems pretty decent

Jedi2016

From what I've seen in the dev diaries, I'm far more interested in the story and what they do with the subject matter than I am in the combat.

This strikes me as a game where it's going to be much better for the people that actually kept up with development and know what they're going for, rather than those going in completely blind expecting a game just like NT's other games. I predict that critical reviews will be good, but user reviews are going to be very split.

Hmmm...combat doesn't look too shabby in my book. Just some enemy knockback might help...along with less time needed to kill them...that way, the combat and the animations for the combat don't get repetitive. Graphics look nice to me, and the light puzzle gameplay look nice to me as well. This definitely seems to have potential in my book...some other things I'm not too sure about are the music and that demonic voice? Ehh...but still, this game isn't nearly as bad as some posters on GAF are making out to be in my book.

Neith

Banned
I'm having a great time with Enslaved on PC. Runs fantastic at high resolutions and the story is very cool to me.

This looks a little different. I hope it's a good game.

That 4 minute combat encounter at the beginning of the video felt like it went on at least twice as long as it should have.

Just when I thought she'd beat the big guy there's sudden two more just appear, and then some more, and then at least one other.

If that's indicative of the combat encounters it'll have throughout the game I think I'd get a little exhausted playing it.

Spaghetti

Dragged a bit while watching. Might be more engaging to play, though.

The voices as a contextual hint for combat/puzzles is kinda neat, but might get grating after a while.

Great use of UE4.

Kazuhira

I dunno,after rewatching it and paying attention i think the combat feels very tight and each attacks has weight thanks to the great animations imo.
FOV during combat is better now but it would be cool to have a slider in the settings.
My only gripe is the lack of a soft lock-on by the look of it,maybe there is one..i dunno,the only way to know is by playing it.
I wonder why i'm interested in this game all of a sudden,never cared about it until now.

a.wd

Looks weak, love the premise, if the story is good and the atmosphere holds up then i'm in, but they have some time to tighten up the combat.

eXistor

Never liked the look of this game and this is doing it very little favors. It just looks completely unengaging. The game always felt like a mobile game to me, like Infinity Blade or some shit.

r8er34

Here's a GamesRadar preview. I think there are mild spoilers for the opening of the game (I skipped all sections that seemed like they might be spoiler-y so I'm not 100% sure).

http://www.gamesradar.com/hellblade...&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

giphy.gif

Wensih

I was going to say this gameplay reminded me of the GoW reveal and how I'm really not fond of the close behind the shoulder camera. The character begins to obstruct the environment.

The combat looks like it could be fun, but for people who always demand triple-A polished combat, this might not look ''good'' to them.

Same goes to Witcher 3 combat, looks clunky and stiff from the videos, but actually not so bad when you get to play it.

well its about the portrayalof mental illness ... i would say they are on point

I don't understand why would any developer portray mental illness in a video game, it only makes player feel uncomfortable and I doubt their intention is to spread awareness for these illness.

If anything It feels like they just want tell the story in the very edgy way.

GavinUK86

I don't understand why would any developer portray mental illness in a video game, it only makes player feel uncomfortable and I doubt their intention is to spread awareness for these illness.

If anything It feels like they just want tell the story in the very edgy way.

You're completely missing the point of this game and the teams intentions. Watch a couple of their dev diaries to understand.

Jesus those voices are annoying as shit.

Isn't that the point?

Yes it is.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I was hesitating earlier, but I'm sold now. The game is doing too many interesting things to ignore:

- theme rarely tackled by any game, and never done well (mental illness)
- sincere attempt to understand mental illness and translate it to a video game
- binaural audio (never knew about this prior to the thread)
- striking visuals
- AA model, with price point to match (rare)

I like the emphasis on story and character. I doubt I'll be playing it for the combat. I hope it's serviceable, that's all.

I don't understand why would any developer portray mental illness in a video game, it only makes player feel uncomfortable

Yes, heaven forbid people should feel uncomfortable.

Top Bottom