• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Soul and R&B Artists You Might Not Know But Should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next to Rap and video game music. I've been discovering a lot of Soul and R&B artists and wanted to share some with people who may not know these. Yo, hit me up with any you might have found.

240510044158_0reggieb-sheknows-detail.jpg
Reggie B

Reggie B funk and afrofuturism to R&B with his newest album DNA. His sound is reminiscent of 70's soul with 90's and a bit of modern R&B. I've only been introduced to him with DNA, but I love what I hear.

Notable Tracks: Do You Wanna Ride? Every Pharaoh Needs a Queen

Medium-Couch-glasses-down-Credit-Karen-Ishiguro.jpg

Aaradhna

The New Zealand artist brings the classic sounds of soul and R&B. She's been in the game for since 2006 and all three of her albums are strong. I love how "Lorena Bobbit" is a song about killing a motherfucker. It's been a little over two years since she dropped her last album. Here's hoping that she brings us something in 2015.
Notable Album: Treble & Reverb
Notable Tracks: I Love You Too, Wake Up, Let's Get It On

ladi62013_square.jpg

Ladi6 ♥

Another New Zealand artist, Ladi6 ♥ brings some estrange sounds to the genre. She also has three albums to her name and their all ok in their own right. Her last album Automatic dropped in 2013.

Notable Album:
The Liberation Of..
Notable Tracks: Diamonds (remix) feat. Oddisee, Ikarus, Walk Right Up

17264-212-7.jpg

Iva Lamkum

Gosh damn, these New Zealand Samoans won't just disappear. Iva Lamkum like Aaradhna has more of the classic sound to her music. She has two albums to her name, but her first one isn't that good to me. Funnily, I found her when I was looking for Jean Grae music. Saw Jean's track with Sala Rosa and Sola Rosa's track with Iva.

Notable Album: Black Eagle
Notable Tracks: Turn Around feat. Sola Rosa, Raise Your Glass

leefields.jpg

Lee Fields
The oldest singer in here, he's been hittin it since 1979. He is definitely motown in his sound and I love the brother. His music is just great feel good music and also good for baby making. He just dropped Emma Jean earlier this year and that shit is phenom. He has a huge discography and I've only listened to Emma Jean so far, but I'll get to the rest eventually.

Notable Tracks: Just Can't Win, You're the Kind of Girl, Talk to Somebody

Lady

I found this duo from an episode of True Blood, which has also contributed to a lot of new music I found. Lady is definitely an old school type duet. I've only listened to their 2013 album and it's moderately good.

Notable Track: Karma

Kelsey Lu

I'm cheating a little bit with this one, but Kelsey Lu is mostly a jazz artist, but she does a bit of R&B as well. She's from my home state of North Carolina and she used to go to school with one of my homeboys. I found her through L'Orange's Old Soul EP and I loved what I found with the girl since. She seems to have been acclimated with Nappy Roots for the past couple of years, but she has still yet to drop an album, which I find highly disappointing. Almost all of her features are pretty good, the only one I didn't like was her song with my girl Sa-Roc, not that she sounded bad, but it didn't sound like her.

Notable Tracks: Waiting, Lay Me Down feat. Drey Skonie, Lost Souls, Run

clip_hil_st_soul_new_2_crop-thumb-473x323.jpg

Hil St. Soul

The producer singer duo known as Hil St. Soul have been around since 1999 and she has three great albums to her name. Her sound is definitely reminiscent of 90's R&B.

Notable Album: Black Rose

Notable Tracks: Wash Away, For the Love of You, Goodbye

N'Dambi

A former back up singer for Erykah Badu N'Dambi also brings the flavor of 90's R&B to her music. Her music is hard to pin and sum of up, so I'll just let the music speak for itself.

Notable Album: Pink Elephant
Notable Tracks: Nobody Jones, Can't Hardly Wait, Stay

Alice Smith

Really an artist that branches multiple genres, Alice Smith brings the sounds of old rock, soul, R&B, and jazz to her music. She has become a recent favorite of mine this year and she only has two albums to her name. Her "Fool for You" cover is great and I'm really hoping she drops something next year.

Notable Album: She
Notable Tracks: Fool For You, The One, Fake Is the New Real

Honorable Mentions: Moria Moore, Professor Shyguy, Algebra, Drea D'Nur, Open Souls

RP912

Banned
I'm going to check some of those dudes out. Lately, I been listening to KING, D'angelo, Eric Roberson, and Thundercat for my soul fix.

RP912

Banned
Smh I tried to listen to one song from the "new" musiq soulchild..................I'm just going to leave it at that.

It pains me that dude decided to go a different route but to each it's own. Love is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

dbztrk

Kelsey Lu is the only one that stood out to me but will continue to listening to the others to see if they click for me.

Smh I tried to listen to one song from the "new" musiq soulchild..................I'm just going to leave it at that.

It pains me that dude decided to go a different route but to each it's own. Love is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

I feel the same way about Norah Jones sadly...

I've gotten Ladi6 - Automatic and The Liberation Of...
Heard of Lee Fields and some of his songs
Knew about Lady when they dropped their album initially *applies hipster glasses* before that True Blood episode
image.php

Was hip to them from following Nicole Wray
Knew about Hil St. Soul, N;Dambi, and Alice Smith. Got folks hip to her.

OP has great tastes

I'll throw in:
Mayer Hawthorne
Rochelle Jordan
Mara Hruby
Quadron
Joya Mooi
Lianne La Havas
Alice Russell <---- so much her
Giovanca
Goapele
I'll add links to names if someone else doesn't to it

see5harp

I was actually thinking about Jill Scott today. That Lady album is really good though. I remember hearing something about them on NPR last year.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Loved your Hip-Hop thread. I will be listening to some of the artists you listed. Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom