• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, how do you feel about The Simpsons Movie then and now?

shoelacer

Banned
I pretty much forgot it existed from the moment I left the theater until now.

I haven't regularly watched the show in fuck knows how long, so I can't really gauge the current quality, but the consensus I see is that it's generally pretty middling and flat compared to the golden years. What do you think it would take for people to stop watching the Simpsons? Replacing all the voice actors? Killing off Bart? World War 3?

Alienous

It really is forgettable. All I can really remember about it are things that this thread prompted me to remember.

The general plot was about a sinkhole, I think. People wanted the Simpsons dead... because...

Nope, blank.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
There were a couple of funny moments. But it was rather plain.

The Giant

Banned
I still remember when they said all the jokes in the trailer was only made for the trailer and will not be in the movie.

Well they lied.

It made me laugh at the time, and it still makes me laugh a bit now. Not much else I can say. It's not a great movie, and definitely reeks of the Scully and Jean eras, but it's still a good time.

arigato

I actually quite enjoyed the movie, and while I haven't watched it recently, there are still a few gags and scenes that I remember very well:

At the very end of the whole Bart's penis scene, Flanders and his kids are saying grace when Bart smacks into the window right in front of them, and Flanders says "thank the lord for this bountiful-PENIS?!" and the kids repeat "Bountiful penis, amen". My wife repeats this every so often exactly when you would expect.

Homer having a picture of his face taped over Michael Jordan in his wallet.

The whole thing with Bart bonding with Flanders, automatically choking when he thinks Flanders is going to be mad at him, Bart marking up a picture of Homer to look like Flanders and then taunting Homer with it(which I saw as a reference to Matt Groening's original idea to have every person Bart looks up to, like Radioactive Man and Krusty the Clown, resemble Homer).

There's a Flanders line my friend's and family never let die where he says to one of his sons "I wish you didn't have the devil's curly hair." Since I have curly hair I still hear that occasionally.

Bart marking up the wanted poster of the Simpsons family, and the store clerk noticing a ridiculous looking family that perfectly resembles the new wanted poster.

Homer giving double middle fingers as he slowly descends into the sinkhole is a gif I see a lot to this day.

The bomb refusal robot taking a gun and shooting itself from the pressure, mostly because Chief Wiggum's line "he kept talking about it but... I didn't think he'd do it!" Made me laugh.

When Homer and Marge get intimate in the log cabin, and a bunch of Disney style forest creatures help them undress, then react in horror when the act starts.

I'll agree that the writing could have been better and they definitely didn't strike while the iron was hot, but I still have good memories of it and suspect I would enjoy it reasonably well on a rewatch.

Edit: But yeah not having Brooks play Scorpio, and not having Wolfcastle was such a bizarre decision. Tom Hanks cameo was decent though.

Double edit: I just remembered a complaint I had upon first seeing the movie, that the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon that opens the film, while not devoid of humor, felt incredibly tame as far as violence, particularly compared to the stuff they get to do on TV.
Agreed, how I feel about the movie is it could've been much better and/or much worse.. The deleted sausage scene was actually good and explains an important plot point.

I remember liking it then but I've caught it recently on television and it's... whatever. Apparently Hank Scorpio was supposed to be the movie's antagonist and I honestly would rather have watched that movie. I don't know how else to put it but it just feels limited and is a missed potential.

Thread is sorta funny.

"What do you remember most?"
"Bart's dick!"
"Oh yeah, Bart's dick, I remember Bart's dick, can't believe they showed Bart's dick, that's really the only thing that sticks ou--
"What about Spider-Pig"
"Oh yeah, Spider-Pig!"
"Yeah, Spider-Pig, I remember now, it was everywhere, fuckin Spider-Pig, so dumb, like it was in the end cre--"
"Bart's dick tho"
"Oh yeah, that's right, Bart's dick!"

Anyway, did they do Klav Khalash callback in the movie, or no? I forget. It was kind of a hodgepodge of okayish gags.

That episode is in my top 5. That and Kamp Krusty

Kamp Krusty, the Simpsons Movie we deserved...

Didn't like the movie. Don't think penis jokes are funny and spider-pig was so heavily marketed that when people saw it everyone was like yaaayy spider-pig! But it was barely a joke.

Movie was very forgettable and was just a bunch of retelling of a bunch of their most tired plot threads all mushed together. Liked it a bit more on a recent rewatch but its about as good as a modern episode, just longer.

120v

it was a fine movie on it's own. 3/5 stars, if i have to give an off-hand 'review'

but man, can't help but wonder why after all those years they decided that was a good enough script to finally greenlight a simpsons movie. except for Bart's weewee, the movie's budget and length there's nothing that hasn't been done that the show did better. for example i thought Mr. Burn's blotting out of the sun was way more epic than a dome over Springfield by some rando EPA dude or whatever.

also plagued by a lot of the ho-hum "gags" that became the brand of post season 8. but i guess that's to be expected as those writers are long gone.

it was cool finally seeing simpsons in the theater but pretty forgettable in the gist of things

UberTag

The movie hasn't aged well. The plot itself was rather empty and soulless and had little to offer outside of fan service. There aren't even memorable jokes one can cite outside of the Spider Pig material which I could do without.

I've enjoyed a number of recent HD era episodes far more than I have the film. That said, I would still love to see another get made at some point down the road.
Both the animation and voice direction was top-notch.

Top Bottom