• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, how do you feel about The Simpsons Movie then and now?

I thought spider-pig was the stupidest most random unfunny joke, and they used it so much in the marketing and even had a song in the end credits. I remember just thinking 'How is this even a joke?'

Kurdel

Banned
I thought spider-pig was the stupidest most random unfunny joke, and they used it so much in the marketing and even had a song in the end credits. I remember just thinking 'How is this even a joke?'

Yeah, same here.

Boring movie, 10 years too late.

It was fine I guess. I liked it at the time and saw it multiple times. Saw it recently and didn't hate it like I do newer Simpsons episodes. But holy fuck Homer is just an awful awful trash person.

It gets worse every time I watch it. It was on tv recently and the ratio of jokes that hit compared those that miss is poor. I agree OP, Homer is terrible in the movie. He lost that loveable idiot thing he had going on which just leaves him being an idiot, and not one I could warm to. It's the same problem that the later series had.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why the fuck do you have your Arnold Schwarzenegger parody playing Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Bugged me way more than it should.
Arnold should have been Wolfcastle, and the bad guy (Who was played by the guy who was Hank Fucking Scorpio) should have been Hank Fucking Scorpio.

It should have been written with these two facts in mind. There was no reason to change the character name or make a new character.

Imagine if it was more of a reunion of Homer and Hank. Hank loves Homer so much, but he's such a bad guy. It's up to Homer to figure out a way to stop him or something while Hank tries to convince Homer to join him. I dunno. The city could still be destroyed somehow, I dunno. Maybe that would be what convinces Homer to try and stop Hank. (Who cares if Hank destroys France or Italy?
Nobody ever picks Italy.
But don't you touch my hometown of Springfield!)

What we got was okay. But it could have been better. Also it was way too late. But it's fine. I did like that the opening to the next season referenced the destruction of the city, but hated that it was only the intro and not mirrored in the episodes themselves. Also, it took way too long for the show to go HD after the movie. Like 3 years. Not until season 20. Then the show got the same art style as the movie had.

I'd still go an see a sequel if one ever came out. It took 17 years for the first movie. Maybe in season 34 we'll get the next one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Yeah I never understood how that became the signature joke from the entire movie, was never funny. I did think I was getting out of touch though

tJ8smuY.jpg

Madness

Why the fuck do you have your Arnold Schwarzenegger parody playing Arnold Schwarzenegger?

True but now there is a President who was elected to lead not to read...

Honestly a lot of it was fan service, but it also felt like a caricature of old Simpsons at times. But I agree with you. They created McBain to parody Schwarzenegger but then actually wrote Schwarzenegger because they believed some of the audience was either too stupid to see what they were parodying with Arnold being Governor then or they thought some watchers were too young to remember McBain I guess from the show.

The movie was fine. It was weird it finally happening after so much of my childhood was spent wondering when there'd be a Simpsons movie, and it didn't come until I had stopped really watching the new episodes.

I enjoyed it fine when it came out, but haven't felt compelled to rewatch it. I rewatch the first 9 seasons or so a couple times a year.

rec0ded1

Elon musk is right, we are in a simulation. How the fuck has it been 10 years already? Just felt like a long meh episode with Eskimo titaysss.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
All I remember that people couldn't shut up about Spider Pig for awhile after the movie hit cinemas.

That was the only sorta odd thing. Only bit of the movie I didn't find funny

I really enjoyed the film, although to be fair I have not seen it in forever

Wait no, now I'm remembering how that STUPID FUCKIN SPIDER PIG was everywhere. That joke was horrible. Fuck this movie. I hate it when I remember Spider Pig.

About the same.

It's about as funny as a Season 10 or 11 episode. Nowhere close to as good as the show was in it's prime, but a Hell of a lot funnier than whatever it is now.

Also, the sausage joke was the funniest bit and they cut it out of the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
the simpsons literally arent even a thing that exists in my world

never saw the movie and never hear anyone even mention the existence of the show

Didn't like it at the time. It was just too late. If they would have made it in the mid to late 90's it could have been great, but everyone was so checked out by the time that movie came out that there was no way for it to be good. I haven't gone back to watch it again...I guess it can't be much worse than what the show has subsequently turned into, but I have no interest in finding out.

The only good joke in the movie is when everyone in town saw the apocalypse come and everyone in Moe's went to the church and everyone in the church went to Moe's. That felt like solid Simpsons.

7Th

It had decent jokes but the main story was just a longer version of your typical "Homer is an ass but eventually learns his lesson" plot that makes up like 80% of the modern episodes.

jstripes

Banned

Those are my feelings towards modern Simpsons in general.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Under The Dome came out and made it look amazing.

Thought it was decent enough when I saw it in theaters. Watched it again a couple months ago to discover it's actually quite terrible. Bart and Lisa's story arcs are especially boring.

I believe this is due to a rights issue; they aren't allowed to use the McBain character anymore.

Randam

Only remember spider pig.
It was so stupid, that I thought it was funny.

And Arnold.
Why the fuck did they need Arnold when the show has Rainier Wolfcastle?

Top Bottom