• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 Hot Takes: The Best Games Ever Made

#18: Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
(Remedy Entertainment - PC, 2003)

gx7o5pZ.png

"I was compelled to give Vlad his gun back. One bullet at a time."

Max Payne, dearest of all my third-person shooters, is one of the most memorable series of games around for countless reasons. There's a lot about the series you could potentially point to as the definitive Max Payne "thing," as almost every aspect of the game sticks with you, whether it's the endlessly quotable scripts, the stylish comic book cutscenes, the fake TV shows (a Remedy staple), or the insane Bullet Time-laden gameplay. Everything is a vital piece of the puzzle, and you can look no further than the uneven Max Payne 3 for proof of how important that balance is. That being said, there is one element that takes these games from great to some of the best ever made.

Let's be honest with ourselves for a moment. Video games are very likely the trashiest media out there. There have been some significant steps forward within the past decade or so, but despite its potential for unique narratives, gaming has a long way to go before its storytelling reaches the (relatively) consistent quality seen in film, television, or music. Maybe it's because developers feel that they have something to prove, but even the most earnest and focused of attempts to make a video game story you could consider profound often instead come across as either unwittingly pulpy laughingstocks or these overwrought tales that can easily fall apart the moment the player is given any control. The Max Payne series doesn't offer any real long-term solutions to this, but these pitfalls that are oh so common in many games are turned into assets thanks to one thing: the incomparable noir aesthetic.

Take the series' characterization, for example. When you really think about it, it isn't too different from most other games. Max himself could be mistaken for a standard "edgy" sad sack video game protagonist, his inner monologue sardonically quipping its way through the gameplay sequences and ruminating during cutscenes. The dialogue itself is excellent, but in any other game it would probably be just a little too overbearing. Here, the noir framing makes the dialogue work, fitting the style perfectly and winning the player over with clever lines delivered by a suitably deadpan James McCaffery, engrossing them in what would otherwise be a fairly standard story of a loose cannon cop with nothing to lose. So much of the game's story is rife with tropes you've seen plenty of times, but even so, the aesthetic makes it all stand out. The art of the graphic novel cutscenes (especially in the Fall of Max Payne) and the outstanding voice work make it impossible not to get invested in the story as you play.

One of the biggest issues that I believe plagues video game stories is player agency. So many games try to put on as straight a face as possible while the player is free to shit on whatever atmosphere the game's working to establish. There's a big moment in Borderlands 2 where the game's central settlement comes under attack by the villains (in the form of a satellite raining down explosions on the town), and there's an attempt to evoke a sense of urgency as the screen is rattled by each explosion and the townsfolk are panicking and running for cover. As much as it tries to do this, however, it can be rendered entirely inert by the player, since there isn't actually any urgency at all: you can choose to completely abandon the town in that moment, do side missions or level up and return to the town, still being devastated, whenever you see fit. It's outright comical, but unfortunately far from the only example of this that comes to mind.

Max Payne doesn't eliminate this aspect entirely, but instead has an acute awareness of it, playfully tying it to Max's inner monologue in a way that falls right in line with noir's characteristic fixation on narration. As you play each game, you'll find that Max will often comment after the player does things that aren't exactly crucial to the moment-to-moment gameplay or the story. Each game in the series has this manifest in different ways ("Karaoke never was my thing," Max remarks as the player interacts with a stage microphone in the first game), but it's a welcome constant, seen even in Rockstar's take on the series. It's not this huge, revelatory mechanic, but it addresses one of my biggest qualms about storytelling in games and makes the player's tendency to dick around a part of things, all in a way that strengthens the series' connection to film noir.

It's not all aesthetic with Max Payne, though. The Fall of Max Payne wouldn't be anywhere near as high on this list if it wasn't one of the most entertaining shooters to actually play. The entire series just goes for it, wearing its inspirations on its sleeve and featuring gameplay as frenetic as the movies that Remedy watched during development. Bullet Time is outright licensed from Warner Bros. (check the credits), so most of your time with these games is spent diving out of cover and dumping bullets into mafioso skulls in slow motion. It's not just an empty thrill or a bullet point cynically slapped on the feature list, though: it's damn well needed since the entire series is constantly challenging the player, incorporating classic PC shooter design (with painkillers standing in for medkits) to ruthless effect. Max Payne tests your reflexes on even the lowest difficulties, leading to gameplay that's equal parts taxing and exhilarating.

So far, everything I've said can apply to the series as a whole, but only one Max Payne game is on this list. All three games are great and well worth playing, but Max Payne 2 is the real standout. The original game comes close, but the story gets a little off the rails at times to support its allegories to Norse mythology, and is bogged down by gameplay sequences that slow the pace to a crawl (among these: a sniping setpiece that overstays its welcome and an obtuse dream sequence replete with uncalled-for platforming). Max Payne 3 is one of the best third-person shooters of the last generation, but the game's finest moments are relegated to being flashes of brilliance thanks to the overly intrusive storytelling, abandoning the graphic novel style of the previous games in favor of more traditional (and more frequent) cutscenes. Max Payne 2, on the other hand, has a consistency to its gameplay that the others in the series lack, while also featuring some of my favorite dialogue and art in all of video games.

Calling a game "cinematic" is often a death knell for a guy like me. I've been burned far too many times by games that just can't find the balance of gameplay, storytelling, and aesthetic to treat the term as a compliment. So many developers out there seem to make games that feel like you're watching a movie, but nobody really finds success in making a game that feels like you're playing one. Max Payne 2 not only accomplishes this with an aesthetic that is complemented by things that normally make a cinematic game fall to pieces, but it's also a God damn amazing shooter with unforgettable moments at each turn.

Thores

Calling a game "cinematic" is often a death knell for a guy like me. I've been burned far too many times by games that just can't find the balance of gameplay, storytelling, and aesthetic to treat the term as a compliment. So many developers out there seem to make games that feel like you're watching a movie, but nobody really finds success in making a game that feels like you're playing one.
This is a really great summation of why I could never get terribly attached to the Uncharted franchise.

#17: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
(Neversoft Entertainment - PC, 2001)

cDyTc42.png

The Tony Hawk series is the all-time greatest iterative design success story. I'll spare you the details of just how important each respective game is to the growth of the series, but rest assured that nobody else has done the impossible job of one-upping classic, monumental games better than Neversoft. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was both the first entry on the Playstation 2 and the last in the series to be built around 2-minute runs, and the game takes full advantage of this, pushing the traditional Pro Skater gameplay to its limits.

Above all else, the most important thing about THPS3 is that it rewrites the book on how the game controls and feels, establishing and perfecting a new standard for the basic movement of the series going forward. Your skater reaches their top speed much more quickly, and turning has lost any sense of stiffness it had before, so getting around is just unbelievably fluid, compounded by the unwavering framerate. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater has never been about being a technical showpiece, but THPS3 might be the first time I really appreciated the importance of a high, steady FPS in fast-paced video games. The game sports a crisp and clean look, but more importantly, it's locked to 60 frames per second for the first time in the series. It's astounding just how much it improves everything; the finest of movements all feel like a second nature and balancing your board during grinds and manuals feels leagues better than it did in the PSX games (in part thanks to actually having balance meters during grinds this time). These changes improve the moment-to-moment gameplay exponentially, resulting in a faster, tighter gameplay experience, and that's before even getting into what the game actually adds.

If you listen to Jeff Gerstmann explain why he gave THPS3 one of GameSpot's once-rare 10/10 scores, he'll tell you that it "completed" the series' gameplay loop. While I think that's arguable (there were still significant strides to be made later in the series), it's difficult to overstate just how big of an impact the revert makes to the series as a whole. One of the more gaping holes in the series to this point was that the potential for in-air tricks was limited compared to the myriad opportunities for manuals and grinds. If you wanted to go up a quarter pipe and do a more involved aerial trick for huge points, it meant that your combo was over. The revert, a 180-degree spin that's performed as you land, serves as the link between the vert style of skateboarding and the street style that dominated the scoreboards in the series to that point. After a revert, you can manual and preserve your combo, greatly expanding your repertoire and likely adding another zero to your high scores. In THPS2, you would often be in these "water, water everywhere" situations where you had to work around the designs of vert-heavy levels like the Skatestreet park or the Bullring. The revert not only completely eliminates this, but adds a considerable depth to old and new levels alike.

It's a bit of a moot point when you consider the PC modding element, but THPS3 has the most well-rounded set of levels in the entire series. The game's locations are gigantic, loaded with countless gaps, obstacles, and secrets to find, but the the real marvel is how masterfully these designs harmonize their size with the time limit imposed by the career mode. Levels like Canada and Los Angeles are large and complex enough to dwarf most of the PSX levels and offer seemingly endless tricking possibilities, yet are so concise and navigable that skilled players can still complete all of the goals in a single run. There's definitely the rare exception, but the vast majority of these levels flow beautifully, providing you with rails, quarter-pipes, and ramps everywhere you turn. Each of these clearly communicate where they lead to, which is typically to yet another object to trick off of. The best levels of the game (namely the Foundry, Canada, Tokyo, the Airport, and the Cruise Ship) are so densely populated with things to trick off of that your combos can practically run circuits around them, sometimes without ever touching the ground (Shit, did you think I was kidding when I said the levels were well-rounded?). My absolute favorite stages in the series wouldn't come until later, but a top 10 list of Tony Hawk levels would have at least three THPS3 stages in it, and that's a testament to the most consistent roster across almost a dozen games.

THPS3 is the third and final game to be designed around replaying the career with each skater, so you couldn't be blamed for assuming that the formula was maybe starting to get a little worn out. You can only take the same format so far, but thankfully, it does a fantastic job of keeping you on the hook. For starters, not every playthrough is identical: depending on the character you pick, the locations of SKATE letters, collectible stat points and decks will be shuffled around, encouraging further exploration on repeat runs through the game. Some trick/gap-based goals will also be different depending on your skater's style, appropriately expecting grinds or gaps out of street skaters and lip tricks or air transfers out of vert skaters. It keeps things fresh throughout your 22 (!) runs through the career, but even if it was the same thing the entire way through, you'd probably still want to play as much of it as you can, since it features the best and most ridiculous unlocks in the series. Firstly, THPS3 makes novel use of the increased storage space offered by DVDs with fun bonus videos showcasing the goofy culture of Neversoft employees. It's endearing to see how much fun the team had putting the game together (and even learning how to skate themselves), but more importantly, THPS3 also capitalizes on the licenses Activision had available to them in 2001. It doubles down on the absurdity of the prior game's Spider-Man cameo, letting you skate around as Darth Maul, Wolverine, and a bunch of weird original characters including the iconic Neversoft eyeball (who starts off with minimum stats, in a case of self-deprecating humor). I mean, shit, even the God damn Doomguy sneaks into Gearbox Software's PC port. 22 full runs is a lot to ask of anybody, but these unlocks and the tweaks to each run go a long way. It's easy to see why this was the last game to follow the 2-minute style: Where else was there to go?

Speaking of the PC port, it's easily the best way to play the game. Much like with Tony Hawk 2, mods have given it proper 16:9 support and a host of levels from the first four entries of the series. It's pretty insane to see just how seamlessly the revert applies to classic levels that weren't designed with it in mind, so I can't recommend LevelMod enough. You can even freely edit the soundtrack if you somehow dislike the iconic assortment of music included with the game: each of the songs are simply MP3 files with the file extension changed, so you can swap them out painlessly. It's all well worth the additional setup required to get your controller working with it.

So with the best group of levels, the most rewarding set of unlockables, and one of the most vital trick innovations in the entire series, it'd be all too easy to deem this the best Tony Hawk ever made. It's a very, very close call to make, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 comes just short of that title. Later games don't make THPS3 obsolete (it wouldn't be this damn far in the list if that was the case), but I just can't ignore the fact that those games play better. In addition to the revert, THPS3 introduced hidden combos that would allow you to modify flip tricks, change your grind trick without leaving the rail, and even do flatland tricks (a series first), but the implementation is questionable at best. Changing your grind trick involves inputting fighting game style button combinations with the both the d-pad and the face buttons, which is counter-intuitive when you're using that same d-pad to balance yourself. Flatland tricks are a great addition that give you more to do during manuals, but have the same issue and for some baffling reason require you to be in a special manual to even attempt. Future games would streamline these tricks with more sensible inputs, and better yet, actually inform the player of their existence.

It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make when composing this list, but there's only one game in the entire series better than Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. It sent off the original arcade structure in about as grand of a fashion as it possibly could have, and laid numerous foundations for the technology and gameplay that would support the series through the rest of its Neversoft days. Everybody has a different favorite Tony Hawk game, but I can't think of one more important to the series, and that makes it pretty easy to settle for second.

Figured THPS3 was coming after you said multiple games were coming after two. Not sure if I agree with it though. THPS2 and 3 are the only Tony Hawk games I've played and I really liked them both but I can't put 3 above 2. Three didn't hook me like 2 did and I honestly can't remember anything about it despite putting like 30 hours into it.

chashodges

Neo Member
I've loved reading all these entries, but THPS3 being beaten by a later iteration of the game feels like heresy to me.

4 was fine, but lost the focus of 3 - the open world / no timer combo meant it was less stressful to play. For me, much of the appeal was always the time pressure forcing your to really push yourself during every run.

THUG1+2 were just Jackass coattails riding nonsense, and the off the board stuff just doesn't work for me at all. There was a stealth mission in THUG. Could never forgive it for that.

American Wasteland was decent, probably the last entry I really enjoyed playing, but its just so unmemorable. I can recall almost every stage and song of 3 (no doubt helped by me finishing it twenty some times for the unlocks), but I grabbed every achievement in AW and still don't remember a single location.

Project 8? Shinier version of 4. Proving Grounds? Just felt so ugly. 5? Pfffft.

That said, I'm excited to see which of these made the cut for you. You reason things so articulately your post will no doubt have me thinking 'well I never thought of it like THAT', so I could still be converted to your way of thinking!

#16: F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon
(Monolith Productions - PC, 2005)

f2hzqYk.png

It's finally October, which means two things. First, it means that I've taken much, much longer with this list than I ever thought I would, so my apologies on that. More importantly, however, it means that it's prime time for some of that spooky shit. It's a fun season, even if I don't really go for horror in any form of media. Honestly, I'd probably say I outright dislike it more often than not. It's often intentional, but most of it is usually too schlocky and predictable for me to enjoy even ironically, which is why you wouldn't be blamed for balking at F.E.A.R.'s placement if you didn't know any better. It may have heavy horror themes, but F.E.A.R. is kind of a misnomer considering how much of it is an insane power fantasy. Then again, I guess T.E.N.S.I.O.N. doesn't roll off the tongue quite as much.

Not to say that its aesthetic is ineffective, but scaring the player is secondary to the game. While it's true that F.E.A.R.'s visuals have aged tremendously, preserving the immersion felt by players in 2005, and the sterile environments provide an intriguing contrast to the paranormal horror surrounding them, the atmosphere doesn't shine because it's unsettling or disturbing. The dark, quiet Armacham offices are no doubt foreboding, but the anxiousness that comes with traversing them is more out of excitement than dread. Normally, I'd chalk this feeling up to my jaded reluctance to fully buy into fictional horror, but it honestly feels like it's by design. The way F.E.A.R. builds up to its jumpscares and gun fights is far from an innovation, but its unique pacing makes this feeling work better than any other game that has attempted it.

There's no middle ground in F.E.A.R.; it's a game about peaks and valleys, completely binary in its design. Only two things are ever happening while you play it: nothing, or everything. When the shit isn't hitting the fan, you're making your way through the ominous environments, peaking around corners in suspense. Once something happens, however, it happens, as Alma (an admittedly tired "scary child" stereotype) causes everything to go sideways almost on sight, flooding the halls with blood, explosions, or otherwise just startling the shit out of you. If the game's not trying to rattle you with scares, you're in combat, letting bullets, your feet, and body parts that aren't attached to any bodies fly. Having only two gears ("zero" and "FIREWORKS FACTORY") makes the low-key moments that much more fraught with anticipation, since any silence is guaranteed to be broken with crazy shit popping off at a moment's notice. With only two core gameplay elements, however, it wouldn't take much for F.E.A.R. to fall victim to repetition, letting boredom settle in quickly. Thankfully, that can't exactly happen when you're taking part in the very best gunplay video games have to offer.

The game's downtime may evoke Japanese horror, but the combat emulates Hong Kong action flicks to the fullest extent, recreating not only the action but many of the visual flourishes common in the genre. Much like Max Payne, F.E.A.R. is a disciple of the Woo (not to be confused with the Wu, who are in turn disciples of the Woo themselves now that I think abou-), but the action here is both more engaging and more of a spectacle than even Payne's best outing, going a step further than slow motion and dives. There's no "shootdodging," but instead you're given a bevy of kick-ass melee moves that feel more at home in one of Max Payne's kung-fu mods. The scissor kick, baseball slide, and spinning roundhouse all are incredible to pull off and send enemies flying. Not content with just taking Hong Kong cinema's martial arts, even the most minute of details serves to make the combat some of the most extravagant action you can ever have in a game. Debris and particles of dust fly every which way in combat. Hanging ceiling lights are rattled by explosions, dynamically changing the room's lighting as they swing back and forth. Glass shoots out from windows when they break instead of just dropping straight down. Slow-mo causes bullet trails and sick explosive ripple effects to occur. Offices look like war zones by the time you're finished a fight, and it's incredible. At its best, F.E.A.R. makes you feel like an unstoppable killing machine, causing enemies to scream out "HE'S TOO FAST" in fervent panic as you turn their squadmates into literal clouds of blood. Do you remember that part in Metal Gear Solid where you're in the hallway full of soldiers that Grey Fox killed, and you're wondering what the hell happened? The gameplay can be best described as trying your hardest to be on the giving end of that.

F.E.A.R.'s most impressive accomplishment may be how its entire arsenal feels immensely powerful. I don't know how they did it, but even the weakest of the game's weapons feel great to use. The dual pistols are endlessly fun to unload and absolutely destroy with well-placed shots, the rail gun turns people into skeletons, and the nail gun actually nails people to walls, throwing poor bastards around with such force that they swing around for a bit after they're pinned. There's not a single weapon that I don't want to use, but there's one that stands above the rest, and anybody that's played the game knows damn well what I'm talking about.

So much of the player's authority is derived from the Vollmer VK-12 Combat Shotgun, maybe the best shotgun in any game short of Doom II's Super Shotgun (and even then, it's a close call). It's one of those rare video game shotguns that maintains its value at medium range, and if I may take a moment to sound like a complete fucking psychopath, the way it dismembers, ragdolls, and even decapitates soldiers with a commanding BOOM is simply a thing of beauty. Just look at this. It cuts enemies in half.

Then again, maybe F.E.A.R.'s crowning achievement is in its enemies. The way I've described the game so far probably gives the impression that it's a cakewalk, but part of why blowing these saps to pieces is such a good feeling is because they make you work for it. There's been a lot said about the game's artificial intelligence over the years, and I'm inclined to agree with almost all of it. It's not like you're fighting against Deep Blue, but the genome soldiers feel like an actual unit, cooperating and communicating with each other in a way that feels natural and keeps you on edge. Soldiers will call out grenades, request sit-reps, and command each other to throw grenades or flush you out of hiding spots (which is actually a benefit to players, cluing you in to their actions). They also have acute awareness of their surroundings, and will coordinate to flank you, move and knock over objects to make their own cover, and, in what feels like an evolution of the classic "Whose footprints are these?!?" moment from Metal Gear Solid, even detect your flashlight if you're not being careful. Soldiers in F.E.A.R. come as close to feeling like your equal as any FPS AI has, and truthfully, it's a little bittersweet. It's true that it's some of the best, most dynamic AI in any FPS, and that it makes no two battles feel the same, but this is a twelve year old game we're talking about. Why aren't all AAA shooters at least this good with their enemies at this point?

One of the hokiest tricks in the book when it comes to talking about a video game (or anything else, really) is describing it as a "thrill ride" or "a roller coaster," but the yin-yang design of F.E.A.R. really does fit the bill. The moody, dreary moments aren't just hollow filler for the sake of it: like a ride's uphill incline, they're an outright necessary breather, and a primer for the screams and the adrenaline rush that awaits. It takes two polar opposite styles and makes them fit perfectly together, forming an unmatched experience that any FPS fan owes it to themselves to play.

And there aren't any God damn loot crates, either.

This one took me a bit longer than I wanted to, so sorry for that. I've been a bit busy and frankly, something about writing about how good guns and explosions feel in a video game felt kind of weird for the past week.

Thores

This one took me a bit longer than I wanted to, so sorry for that. I've been a bit busy and frankly, something about writing about how good guns and explosions feel in a video game felt kind of weird for the past week.
That last point is seriously understandable.

Also I'm just glad you're still updating! These are some quality write-ups, so they're worth the wait.

Love your writing - so articulate and informative, even with the games I think are too high up on your list or those that would never appear on my top list. Seriously makes me want to revisit some of these games that I didn't enjoy as much as you did.

#14: Spelunky
(Mossmouth, LLC - Xbox 360, 2012)

2Rkm2vP.jpg

It's exceptionally difficult for a roguelike to pique my interest these days. As if it wasn't enough that my preference for expertly-crafted levels leaves me rolling my eyes whenever the dreaded phrase "procedurally generated" rears its ugly head, I find that there's a cruel, cruel irony to the subgenre as a whole. How did a style of gameplay so invested in randomization and unpredictability become so rote, so fast? Think about how many roguelikes (or whatever you want to call them) commit to the same well-worn tropes without ever putting any thought into making them unique or memorable. You'll have your permanent deaths, your consumable items, your convoluted true endings, secret bosses, hidden items, rinse and repeat until you're scanning the Steam tags of every new indie game that looks interesting, anxiously hoping the game is free of any Rogue stench. There have been some exceptions over the years, but the deluge of indie roguelites has just burned me out. Then again, maybe I'm still waiting for the next game to do it as well as Spelunky.

There's some excellent design in Spelunky even before we get into its roguelike qualities. For starters, you have a perfect degree of control over your actions. You can lightly tread dangerous territory or brazenly dash and jump about with the greatest of ease thanks to the precise physics and movement, and the usage of items and weapons is strikingly intuitive. Vital tools like bombs and ropes are smartly given their own face button assignments, and interaction with almost everything else is done with the attack button (which may sound like it could cause issues, but it really doesn't). You can immediately notice the difference in control between this game and the 2008 original, and the Game Maker incarnation is almost impossible to go back to as a result. The controls don't just make the game feel great to play, however: they're one of the many vital pieces of what makes the roguelike element work for me in the first place.

Once. In my 1000+ runs of the game, there has been one time where I died and there was nothing I could've done differently to prevent it. Despite all of the variables and wildness that can occur during gameplay, despite any anger (and depending on how far you make it through a run, despondence) you may feel when it happens, death is always on you. Spelunky was meticulously designed to have death not only always be a result of the player's actions, but also be an essential teaching tool for the game. The best advice you could give a novice is in the description of the original release on the official website: "Don't be afraid to die! But also don't be afraid to live!" So much of your time spent with Spelunky is about experimentation, seeing what items do, how hazards work, and death is a natural part of that. It's a big part of why you can die hundreds and hundreds of times and never tire of the game.

I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the "level design" contributing to the timeless nature of the game. If you've been reading up to this point you might assume that my love of linear, focused obstacle courses in platformers (seen in Crash Bandicoot 2, Super Mario 3D World, games yet to come in this list, among others) would conflict with the open levels of Spelunky, which are literally thrown together at random. Normally, you'd be right, but Spelunky makes it work in more ways than one.

With most roguelikes, quality environmental art is often incidental. Even the few roguelike games with visual styles I especially enjoy still have moments where the art just cannot outshine the jumble of a level design (and consequent lack of cohesion) in front of you. In Spelunky, however, the theme of subterranean caverns and ancient temples makes sense of the haphazard-by-design level layouts, but this was about as far as I got before everything happened. I'm going to bow out of GAF and ask for my account to be wiped, and I doubt I will be going to any replacements that pop up. I never had much attachment to this place to begin with, and now seems like a good time to wash my hands of any of it. I was about halfway through writing this entry when all this shit went down, and I think I'm just going to leave it at that and scrap the rest for the time being. I suppose it's for the best, since while I've enjoyed writing these so far, I got other shit to worry about.

Over the course of about seven months, I wrote 56,698 words about video games I liked, way fucking more than I ever intended. That's a small novel's worth of inherently meaningless (at least, if you ask me) opinions and prose that was started simply because I thought it'd be fun to do. It's been a lot to read, and frankly, you don't really have a good reason to be invested in my opinions, so regardless of whatever it was kept you around, know that it's appreciated. If you want to know what the remaining 13 games in the list are, they are as follows:
13 is Fallout: New Vegas, 12 is Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 11 is Dead Rising, 10 is Super Mario Maker, 9 is The Ultimate Doom, 8 is Rock Band 3, 7 is Serious Sam (episodic, so both the First and Second Encounter), 6 is Tony Hawk's Underground, 5 is Worms Armageddon, 4 is Skate 2, and the top 3 are Quake, Saints Row 2, and Super Mario World, respectively.

If you want actual hot takes, you can find me on Twitter, which is where I'll likely post an archive of my entries/any new ones if I end up doing that (just know that I'm much more curt on there than I am in my entries). If you don't have a Twitter and want to get in touch, I'm going to keep this account around for a little bit before I have it taken care of. Otherwise, I'm out. Thanks.

Top Bottom