• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11th Anniversary of the Xbox One Reveal

TrippleA345

It all started here

xb-ghome.png

It's been over a decade and we're still using this argument to justify Phil's incompetence ?
95uWMxa.gif
You’re the clown that has no reading comprehension. Nowhere in that statement do I even mention Phil. If you actually look at my posting history you’ll see that I despise Phil and the entire leadership, and I blame him and his cult if followers as the primary reason for Xbox’s failures over the years. Stop making stupid assumptions and misquoting me.

Last edited:

H-I-M

You’re the clown that has no reading comprehension. Nowhere in that statement do I even mention Phil. If you actually look at my posting history you’ll see that I despise Phil and the entire leadership, and I blame him and his cult if followers as the primary reason for Xbox’s failures over the years. Stop making stupid assumptions and misquoting me.
That's a lot of energy and anger.
cat-gif-atrl-distressed.gif

Try Betterhelp.

You'll thank me later :)

That's a lot of energy and anger.
cat-gif-atrl-distressed.gif

Try Betterhelp.

You'll thank me later :)
Take your own advice. I don't know how saying an obvious fact that 11 years ago was the beginning of the disaster for Xbox is making "excuses" for Phil.

You definitely have some unresolved issues you need to take care of. Seek help.

Topher

Gold Member
I partly agree with this sentiment, but it's unfair to put the entire blame on that one launch.

Other companies (PS with PS3 and Nintendo with WiiU) also recovered from their failures successfully. And Xbox One actually sold really well for the first 2 years or so.

We were reading headlines like this one even in 2016, three years after the Xbox One launch. Most of the Xbox's self-inflicted problems came after that launch, I believe.

No I'm not saying all of Xbox's problems are due to that launch. I'm simply saying it was the moment Xbox started going downhill and so it was very pivotal time in Xbox history. The problems didn't stop there though, I agree.

Sales of Xbox One were ok the first year, but after that they tanked. Sales were so bad that in 2015 Microsoft announced they would no longer announce sales numbers for the console. Obviously there were some bright spots along the way, but a 20-25 million dropoff in sales from Xbox 360 was huge.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I reserved the Day One edition at MSFT official webstore and got the Day One achievement. I then canceled my order.

I still have the achievement.

Overall the Xbox One was terrible for games but the Kinect stuff was actually pretty cool. Xbox Fitness was awesome and was an insane deal.

An utter fuck up by MS. The inclusion of Kinect at the expense of power, the online only and the TV / entertainment focus took a steaming shit on the success that the Xbox 360 had and basically put Xbox where they are today. A true lesson in misreading your target audience and trashing your brand.
It wasn't misreading. It was utterly shitting on their target audience and not giving a tot. They used the money from the 360 owners to make the One and said thank you and fuck you to the latter.

Don Mattick can choke on a bag o' dicks.

Last edited:

Damigos

MS first dropped the ball toward 2nd half of 360 era when they killed off bun ch if their internal studios and focused on Kinect. That worked for a bit, but then casual audiences dried up and by the time Xbone released a lot of hardcore audiences didn’t have much to look forward to besides Halo, Gears and Forza (and TV, TV, TV).

So MS started to turn victory into defeat before Xbox One even released and before their awful always online strategy.
True,. it started then. But the reveal on One was apalling

Xbox Series X suffers because of the problems that Xbox One introduced. An entire lack of confidence in Xbox.
Sorry but I feel like this is mostly nonsense. Most customers have never heard of/ don’t care about this. “I’m not buying this console because Xbox staff lack the confidence I feel is necessary in today’s modern console business.”

It’s just silly, to be honest.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sorry but I feel like this is mostly nonsense. Most customers have never heard of/ don’t care about this. “I’m not buying this console because Xbox staff lack the confidence I feel is necessary in today’s modern console business.”

It’s just silly, to be honest.

Yeah....that quote you made up is silly because obviously I'm speaking generally about the perception of Xbox, not the specific reasons. No idea why you think I'm suggesting those are the exact thoughts of customers. Quite silly indeed.

Whatever man. Xbox One was a pivotal moment in the downfall of Xbox. That makes it a pivotal moment in the history of gaming.
Yeah. Like I said tho, totally different issues between the two generations. Series X’s issue isn’t a wild left field focus on Xbox-branded TV, or cable box functionality, or forced Kinect bundle, or or no functionality without internet that makes your console a brick.

It’s just straight up weak first-party lineup.

Yeah....that quote you made up is silly because obviously I'm speaking generally about the perception of Xbox, not the specific reasons. No idea why you think I'm suggesting those are the exact thoughts of customers. Quite silly indeed.
My point was no one cares nor doesn’t buy Xbox because of a perceived “lack of confidence” in the brand, outside of the bubble of the gamer online forum community. Obviously.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah. Like I said tho, totally different issues between the two generations. Series X’s issue isn’t a wild left field focus on Xbox-branded TV, or cable box functionality, or forced Kinect bundle, or or no functionality without internet that makes your console a brick.

It’s just straight up weak first-party lineup.

My point was no one cares nor doesn’t buy Xbox because of “lack of confidence”, outside of the bubble of the gamer online forum community. Obviously.

Yeah, but all these different issues still build negativity around the Xbox brand. If you don't think the negativity surrounding Xbox all these years has bearing on people not buying Xbox then we will just have to disagree.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh, for sure. It was hilarious how quick Sony turned around that sharing video after the disastrous reveal. They were probably popping champagne in celebration. 🎉

It was like the perfect storm. Between releasing PS4 for $100 less than Xbox One and the whole "this is how you share games on PS4" video......that's got to be one of the all-time great E3 beat downs.

StereoVsn

It was like the perfect storm. Between releasing PS4 for $100 less than Xbox One and the whole "this is how you share games on PS4" video......that's got to be one of the all-time great E3 beat downs.
Yep, and by then Kinect was over for the public AND Xbone was weaker hardware.

That was just so badly planned by MS, it’s mind boggling. What a fuckup.

DeVeAn

End of the 360 era is where is started. The Xbox One reveal was terrible and I skipped it until I got a cheap One X. Problem after that has been 1st party exclusives and the last few games haven't delivered. I feel the only hope now is for them to lock down something with GTA 6 otherwise I don't see a comeback.

nial

Gold Member
I partly agree with this sentiment, but it's unfair to put the entire blame on that one launch.

Other companies (PS with PS3 and Nintendo with WiiU) also recovered from their failures successfully. And Xbox One actually sold really well for the first 2 years or so.

We were reading headlines like this one even in 2016, three years after the Xbox One launch. Most of the Xbox's self-inflicted problems came after that launch, I believe.

The true demise of the Xbox brand as a whole arguably started in 2017, and the Xbox One X wasn't enough to save them at that point.
It did manage to remain competitive in 2021 and 2022 with the Xbox Series (mostly thanks to the S), when PS5 was heavily supply constrained, but oh boy, when we finally got to 2023, it *fucking* died, with no signs of recovery.

Last edited:

bosnianpie

Those were the days. Sony was doing everything right with the announcement of PS4 and MS came up with this. Riding that wave up until release of both consoles were really fun times.

DryvBy

People assume the "death of Xbox" started with this console. I however believe it started with this. At the tail end of the 360 era was nothing but kinect.

Shit like this (chat gpt in years to come)

And this

360 era really did it for me and I don't think they could have won me back over it. RROD and then years of this worthless crap.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
People assume the "death of Xbox" started with this console. I however believe it started with this. At the tail end of the 360 era was nothing but kinect.

And this

That was more hilarious to me than embarrassing. They were trying to go after the Wiis audience, since they didn't feel threatened by PS3. In the end, the PS3 still outsold the 360 and Microsoft had to take it deep, despite the spending spree against the Black Behemoth. in 2024, we're coming full circle, down the toilet. That is.

Shin-Ra

To be fair, this is common for pre-release hardware to run on PCs.

At e3 2006 all the “Wii demo stations” with all the big Wii games were all just modified GameCubes. The Wiis on display at all the demo stations were just shells.

It’s common industry practice prior to the final retail hardware being ready
To be fair, a GC is weaker than a Wii and whatever PC MS was running Forza Motorsport 5 on didn’t attempt to match up to real XBO hardware.
The Mac Pro tower (PPC) hardware they used pre-release for 360 did attempt to match the console’s specs apart from the dev build double RAM.

The first few years of XBO, each month or two there was a big discount or the latest major games bundled in, which at the time wasn’t typical.

It's been over a decade and we're still using this argument to justify Phil's incompetence ?
95uWMxa.gif
Can’t tell if poop or hairy crack.

And this

Xbox 3D Avatars signalled the internal transition to casual games for Kinect. The seed within Rare. :(

To be fair, a GC is weaker than a Wii and whatever PC MS was running Forza Motorsport 5 on didn’t attempt to match up to real XBO hardware.
The Mac Pro tower (PPC) hardware they used pre-release for 360 did attempt to match the console’s specs apart from the dev build double
Not sure why I’m tagged in this. You’re not refuting anything I’m saying. You’re just talking about other things that don’t contradict anything I’ve said.

Last edited:
No they aren't. That is just Phil Spencer making an excuse as to why he alone has fucked up Xbox. To say that it fucked Xbox is bullshit. For a while the Xbone was selling well and had some pretty good 3rd party exclusives. They dropped the ball by not releasing enough quality 1st party games and in that time, Playstation 4 really took over. Then Phil decided to stop talking sales numbers and released Game Pass. And THAT is what truly fucked over Xbox, as we are witnessing today...
You are correct indeed sir. Xbox one had some good games from 2013 to 2015 in terms of exclusives. It launched with a solid lineup and with Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and others it definitely had the games for the first few years of its lifespan. Then yes, Spencer went all in on gamepass later and that is what has ruined the Xbox brand.

I will always remember Resolutiongate and the 720p vs 1080p games comparisons between Xbox One and PS4. Good times indeed and filled with much drama.

Xbox used to be cool and it actually does suck how this moment legit killed them and they've never been able to course correct in over ten years since.

It's a also a reminder that even if Sarkeesian never happened and all the political in fighting never happened, the best days for gaming were still going to be behind us, which is an incredibly depressing thought.

You can see the shift in corporate attitude happening in real time, "core" gamers are boring, played out, who cares about those geeks? We want TV, SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS, TV and Grandma getting in on the action, Xbox and 360 had bad ass series like Halo and Gears of War, it was supposed to be the gamers gaming machine, instead it turns into this watered down crap with no real identity anymore and that's before politics made "gamer" be basically synonmous with the term "alt right" in the eyes of a lot of people, but already we can see companies like Microsoft simply stop giving a shit about us.

And the launch line up was so mid, the original Dead Rising is one of my all time favorite games, then 3 takes all the bright, colorful vibes that set it apart from other zombies games out?

Fundamentally, in the western sphere, gaming simply lost it's magic as we entered the 2010s, that's really all there is to it, the Woke brigade are akin to vultures coming to pick clean what was already a corpse.

Last edited:

And this

This is indeed where it starts, but post 2009 we had Halo Reach, Alan Wake (and it's DLC semi sequel), Fable III, Gears of War 3, Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgement, all Xbox games still very much within the classic wheelhouse.

But all that stuff was probably in the works already and it was running off momentum, what E3 2009 showed is that the leadership was already abandoning gamers, pure greed, rather than being happy with their audience they wanted MORE, MORE, MORE, not realizing the normie crowd would be 100% cannibalized by smartphones and tablets, Nintendo has success with it, but it was a trick that could only be pulled off in that pre iphone/ipad world and Microsoft were pure arrogant morons to not see that coming, no idiot was going to stand flailing their arms in front of a TV screen saying "XBOX TURN ON" after a point, they were going to be looking at their phone, in 2009 this should have already been obvious by 2013 this should have been REALLY obvious but leaders of a multi billion can somehow be pure fucking idiots with zero vision of the future.

Raven117

Gold Member
LOL, the collective meltdown of the internet that day was just incredible.

And, yes, that was the beginning of the end for Xbox. Sure, they could have made some saving throws coming down off the 360 high, but none of them panned out. And they lost the most important generation in decades....the jump to digital.

Top Bottom