• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 foot, 400 pound alligator caught in downtown Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstories_story_004065657.html

4045956.jpg

4045957.jpg

4046163.jpg

4043684.jpg

4043489.jpg

It was "about the last place you'd expect to see an alligator of any size," said licensed trapper Todd Hardwick. Alligators are much more common in suburban canals and lakes.

Hardwick and others wrapped a rope around the middle of the gator and attached the other end to a ladder fire truck, which hoisted the reptile out of the water, over a 4-foot fence and a row of parked cars.

Then Hardwick and two wildlife officers sat on the gator while an assistant secured its jaws shut with duct tape. "He used the entire roll," Hardwick said.

The spectacle attracted a crowd of more than 200 and forced the city to temporarily close the street, he said.

The alligator likely swam downtown years ago, when it was smaller, and lived the canal system draining the Miami Civic Center, emerging only to snatch raccoons and opossums from the bank, Hardwick said.

But most of the food was delivered straight to the gator. Hardwick said the reptile likely grew fat on carcasses of animals tossed into the creek as religious sacrifices.

"They farm-raised this big boy on Santeria and voodoo," Hardwick said.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I love when alligators have their jaws taped shut. They look so pissed at how easily their abilities have been thwarted.

Iceman

Man, all they had to do was sick a polar bear at it and all that would be left is the cleanup... and the runaway polar bear loose in the densely populated streets of Miami. But there wouldn't be an alligator I promise you that.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
4043489.jpg

You... mutha...fuggaz...

Is it true about crocs in NY sewers? I always thought is was urban legend, but who knows.

Mzo

That canal is right in front of the Cedars Medical Center. I work at the next building over, the Jackson Medical Towers.

Good times.

Mzo said:
That canal is right in front of the Cedars Medical Center. I work at the next building over, the Jackson Medical Towers.

Good times.

At least a person wouldn't have to go too far to get their leg sewn back on if the gator took it off.

Iceman said:
Man, all they had to do was sick a polar bear at it and all that would be left is the cleanup... and the runaway polar bear loose in the densely populated streets of Miami. But there wouldn't be an alligator I promise you that.

That's worthy of debate ...

Shinobi

The alligator likely swam downtown years ago, when it was smaller, and lived the canal system draining the Miami Civic Center, emerging only to snatch raccoons and opossums from the bank, Hardwick said.

But most of the food was delivered straight to the gator. Hardwick said the reptile likely grew fat on carcasses of animals tossed into the creek as religious sacrifices.

"They farm-raised this big boy on Santeria and voodoo," Hardwick said.

Heh, Lord...I'm not sure which part of that story is scarier.

thefit

most of the food was delivered straight to the gator. Hardwick said the reptile likely grew fat on carcasses of animals tossed into the creek as religious sacrifices.

Yeah I too was really interested in his part. What else did they feed it?

Crocs and alligators are the sexiest animals on the planet. I would make love to one if given the opportunity....

Furries includes reptiles? Scalies maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom