• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

Diablo 3 still has this tiny little stutter, I'm not sure how to explain it. Framerate stays about 140 fps, GSync enabled, SLI or single GPU, there's this slight stutter that I have a hard time ignoring now. It's very strange. I guess it's just something I'll always just have to deal with when I play that game.

Unai

It seems DSR stopped working when I enabled G-SYNC? I'm using a single GTX Titan. Does anyone knows if they are not compatible?

Assassin's Creed Unity really demonstrated how effective GSync is for me. 50-75 fps framerate and the motion stayed smooth with no tearing. It's pretty fucking awesome and the fact that the tech exists mean every display at some point needs to handle refresh rate this way. It makes so much sense that I always just assumed it didn't work this way because it wasn't possible with LCD panel technology.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I wish I knew someone with gsync and lightboosting monitors so I could compare things in person. I won't have the money to buy a new monitor for a while. :(

I think I'm psyching myself out, because every game looks bad to me even at 60fps. Looking at the OP with the Testufo UFO's, I want dat lightboost clarity so bad.

astraycat

Would anyone here know of a monitor/TV that can accept 1080p 120Hz over HDMI (especially one that actually lists this mode in the EDID info)?

Or of a HDMI -> DisplayPort adapter that would support 1080p 120Hz?

I wish I knew someone with gsync and lightboosting monitors so I could compare things in person. I won't have the money to buy a new monitor for a while. :(

I think I'm psyching myself out, because every game looks bad to me even at 60fps. Looking at the OP with the Testufo UFO's, I want dat lightboost clarity so bad.

Buy yourself a gsync screen and return it if you don't see the difference

Play a game you've already beat so that you have a reference

You'll end up keeping it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Would anyone here know of a monitor/TV that can accept 1080p 120Hz over HDMI (especially one that actually lists this mode in the EDID info)?

Or of a HDMI -> DisplayPort adapter that would support 1080p 120Hz?

I don't think HDMi supports 1920x1080@120, which is part of the reason why 3D on TV's is usually limited to 720p/60.

NeoFaff

Been using my replacement Eizo monitor for a week now and it hasn't lost signal so far. Pretty happy with the new monitor - as good as the first and it has slightly better colours out of the box too.

Oh and I just ran into a game which has a bug with high refresh rates for some reason. I was playing through The Room on steam, got to the final level and a piece of the puzzle refused to move. Had to set my desktop to 60hz so I could finish the game.

FoxSpirit

Been using my replacement Eizo monitor for a week now and it hasn't lost signal so far. Pretty happy with the new monitor - as good as the first and it has slightly better colours out of the box too.

Oh and I just ran into a game which has a bug with high refresh rates for some reason. I was playing through The Room on steam, got to the final level and a piece of the puzzle refused to move. Had to set my desktop to 60hz so I could finish the game.
Did you already correct the colours? Gets much better then.

NeoFaff

Did you already correct the colours? Gets much better then.
I played around with the colour sliders and colour temperature until the screen looked vibrant enough for me but I don't know how accurate it is. I use the default FPS1 and FPS2 modes for games anyway.

Shun

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for this but I'm looking for a monitor and my price range is no more than 100 bucks flat. This means I'm getting these used. That said, I found a deal for the ASUS LED IPS ML239H monitor and was wondering if it was worth 70 bucks.

71DF7dpcIQL._SL1500_.jpg
Anyone own this or have any testimonies or recommendations? This is mainly for photo editing and personal PS3/Wii U gaming.

I'm on a budget and making do with what I can do with Craigslist deals and what not.

dobbz

Neo Member
I have been looking for a new monitor now that I have a new computer, and I can't decide if I need gsync or not. Does gsync really make a difference? I have no way of seeing it in person.

Without gsync, I'm choosing between BenQ XL2411Z and Asus VG248QE. Is there a difference between them? I read that they use the same panel.

With gsync, I'm looking at 3 options at the same price:
Acer XB270H
BenQ XL2420G
Philips 272G5DYEB

Any recommendations?

Lunar15

Is it worth it at this point to get a 144hz Monitor without G-Sync? Or is it better to just wait until G-Sync is more affordable at this point?

Really unsure of whether or not to get one or not. I'm a stickler for image quality, so I feel like I might just want to move up to an IPS monitor instead, FPS be damned. Can't decide though.

Is it worth it at this point to get a 144hz Monitor without G-Sync? Or is it better to just wait until G-Sync is more affordable at this point?

Really unsure of whether or not to get one or not. I'm a stickler for image quality, so I feel like I might just want to move up to an IPS monitor instead, FPS be damned. Can't decide though.

It kind of depends on how long you want to keep the monitor. I buy monitors very rarely so I try to buy a really nice one and keep it for a while. My current one is going on 7 years now. I am going to wait until more G-sync options are available and prices come down a bit. Maybe Freesync will turn out to be good as well.

If you would be okay with a stop-gap monitor (plain 144 Hz) I don't think it would be a bad choice... but personally I think it's worth waiting for G-sync.

Lunar15

It kind of depends on how long you want to keep the monitor. I buy monitors very rarely so I try to buy a really nice one and keep it for a while. My current one is going on 7 years now. I am going to wait until more G-sync options are available and prices come down a bit. Maybe Freesync will turn out to be good as well.

If you would be okay with a stop-gap monitor (plain 144 Hz) I don't think it would be a bad choice... but personally I think it's worth waiting for G-sync.

I guess I can try it out and return it if I'm not feeling it.

hoserx

I just did it..... I don't plan on playing any games that cause me to deal with low framerates at 1080p with two 970s.......I'll be playing most of my FPS games on this screen, and other titles on my 30" hp zr30w.

Nekofrog

Banned
I plan on possibly snagging a 27" 144hz monitor at some point in the very near future. The only problem I can see is I'm currently gaming on a 42" tv on my desk, and I love having everything right there for me. I mostly just play League of Legends but I'd really rather have the responsiveness of a 144hz monitor at this point, I'm just not sure if I'd be sacrificing a lot of visual information by downsizing screen size that much.

Anyone done anything similar in size downgrades?

Mechazawa

So, if I just wanted to play a game at 60fps on a 144hz monitor, is that out of the question since it's not a natural divisor?

hoserx

So, if I just wanted to play a game at 60fps on a 144hz monitor, is that out of the question since it's not a natural divisor?

It's not.... 60 fps games play just fine on them. I play 60 hz console games on my benq 144hz screen all the time.

Mechazawa

It's not.... 60 fps games play just fine on them. I play 60 hz console games on my benq 144hz screen all the time.
But isn't there a judder associated with capping to a framerate that a monitor doesn't naturally halve by? Or at least that's what I've often heard, i've never actually bothered trying to cap a framerate to anything esoteric on a 60hz monitor.

riflen

But isn't there a judder associated with capping to a framerate that a monitor doesn't naturally halve by? Or at least that's what I've often heard, i've never actually bothered trying to cap a framerate to anything esoteric on a 60hz monitor.

You don't say what vertical sync mode you intend to use or what game you want to play on a 144Hz display.

2San

The monitor naturally displays at 60Hz for console games afaik. Since consoles can't output a 60+Hz signal anyway.

hoserx

Nope, no judder. The monitor can use all sorts of refresh rates, it isn't 144hz all the time. You can use it at 60, 120, 144, even 30 hz if you wanted to.

Mechazawa

I'm looking to pick up a different monitor than that BenQ, which seems to have some sort of scaling option with it's refresh rate? The Asus monitor im looking at doesn't seem to have anything along those lines.

Sorry, I'm still not clear what you're asking. Are you intending to play both console and PC games on this display?

Yes. So I would be running up against whatever kind of vsync a console game chooses to us on top of whatever I have to make due with on PC(triple whenever I can, adaptive when that's not actually functioning)

The ultimate point I'm making is that I've often read a consensus about how you shouldn't be locking anything down to a framerate that doesn't divide appropriately relative to your refresh. So for a 144hz monitor, those would be 72fps, 36fps, 24fps. Except there are plenty of games that cap out at 60fps even on PC and most console games obviously target 30 and 60.

The Llama

I'm looking to pick up a different monitor than that BenQ, which seems to have some sort of scaling option with it's refresh rate? The Asus monitor im looking at doesn't seem to have anything along those lines.

Huh? What do you mean with the scaling option?

Mechazawa

Huh? What do you mean with the scaling option?

The link hoserx put up for his monitor makes mention of some "GROM" functions which seems to let his monitor dynamically bounce between 144/120/100hz.

I don't know if that's what it actually does since it's utility is obfuscated in some marketing speak bullshit, but that's what I got the impression it does.

The Llama

The link hoserx put up for his monitor makes mention of some "GROM" functions which seems to let his monitor dynamically bounce between 144/120/100hz.

I don't know if that's what it actually does since it's utility is obfuscated in some marketing speak bullshit, but that's what I got the impression it does.

It actually seems like it would be good for you, if you wanna play console games on it. Per this review (http://monitors.reviewed.com/content/benq-xl2420te-gaming-monitor-review) it's really just some buttons that change between preset settings. So you can setup 1 button for 60Hz console gaming and another for 144Hz PC gaming.

Unai

Yes. So I would be running up against whatever kind of vsync a console game chooses to us on top of whatever I have to make due with on PC(triple whenever I can, adaptive when that's not actually functioning)

The ultimate point I'm making is that I've often read a consensus about how you shouldn't be locking anything down to a framerate that doesn't divide appropriately relative to your refresh. So for a 144hz monitor, those would be 72fps, 36fps, 24fps. Except there are plenty of games that cap out at 60fps even on PC and most console games obviously target 30 and 60.

You don't have to worry about that. The monitor will run in 60Hz mode when you plug your console. You also can set it to 120Hz when you want to play a 60 FPS PC game.

riflen

I see. You'll be fine, as others have said, console output will be at 60Hz anyway and you can run the display at 120Hz if you wish, for PC games limited to 60fps.

For those such games, triple buffering with Vsync would allow you to avoid tearing while keeping a 120Hz refresh rate. I recommend Borderless Windowed mode as a good way to force this if the game does not provide it. Using Adaptive-Vsync in this situation will be just the same as turning off Vsync.

For what it's worth, running games at arbitrary frame rates with a 144Hz refresh rate feels fine to me.

hoserx

All of your concerns are non concerns. Buy your 144hz screen and you'll be just fine playing 60 fps games.

mauldie

I was reading somewhere that the BenQ XL2420Z has a mode where you can utilize that strobing technology on console gaming. That's a big thing for me because I won't just be using the monitor for PC gaming but PS4 and Xbox One also. I haven't really heard about how effective this is for consoles. Anyone give this a shot? Are there any other monitors that use this feature on both console and PC?

TSM

A 144hz monitor is also a 60hz monitor, and a 120hz monitor. If you are having an issue running a game at more then 60hz, you can just set the monitor to run at 60hz until you are done. In fact you will have to do this with certain games. The Super Meat Boy physics break at more then 60hz for instance. Sega's Sonic PC games tend to run at more then double the speed when running in 144hz which makes them nearly uncontrollable. For these games I just set the game's refresh rate to application controlled in nvidia's 3D management settings for the game.

riflen

I was reading somewhere that the BenQ XL2420Z has a mode where you can utilize that strobing technology on console gaming. That's a big thing for me because I won't just be using the monitor for PC gaming but PS4 and Xbox One also. I haven't really heard about how effective this is for consoles. Anyone give this a shot? Are there any other monitors that use this feature on both console and PC?

You can use Blur Busters' utility to force strobing at 60Hz with that display.

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/

I would suggest you look at the forums over there to find some impressions. 60Hz with strobing wont suit everyone as the flickering might be distracting to the eye.
In my opinion for strobing to be effective, you will need the frame rate of the game to be synchronised with the monitor refresh rate at 60Hz. Games that don't run at a constant 60fps will feel nasty in this mode.

Water

Looks like Acer is also making 24" model with G-sync early next year:
Seems like they will have biggest range of g-sync displays soon:

24" 1080p 144Hz (preorder)
27" 1080p 144Hz (already out)
27" 1440p 144Hz (coming in Q1 2015)
28" 2160p 60 Hz (already out)

So that's a direct Swift competitor for Q1. Good! The faster the market gets saturated with the existing types, the sooner manufacturers will be forced to branch out to non-TN panels and new feature sets. What I really want is a Samsung SE790C but with G-Sync.

This, I can get behind!! - albeit will take some grunt to drive it to its potential, more than what exists without getting ridiculous, I guess the monitor is an investment.

That was my reasoning when I got the Rog swift with similar speccs. No way I'm driving current triple A games with those settings, but for older games, indies and anything Source it is damn pretty. As for the rest, the monitor will outlast all of my current hardware for sure.

d00d3n

I tried to search but didn't find an exact answer to my questions.

When displaying games in 120hz on my ezio fg2421, tearing is quite subtle even when vsync is disabled. I have recently been playing dark souls in 60 frames per second, but with the display updating in 120hz (dsfix has a special option for this), the tearing is still very subtle. So ...

Is the reduced visual impact of tearing from updating a display in 120hz preserved irrespective of how many frames per second the game is rendered in?
Is there any benefit in limiting the maximum frames per second at say 30 or 60 when updating the display in 120hz? (thinking about performance intensive games with variable fps like assassins creed unity)

Qassim

Assassin's Creed Unity really demonstrated how effective GSync is for me. 50-75 fps framerate and the motion stayed smooth with no tearing. It's pretty fucking awesome and the fact that the tech exists mean every display at some point needs to handle refresh rate this way. It makes so much sense that I always just assumed it didn't work this way because it wasn't possible with LCD panel technology.

Some of the most recent Ubisoft games that people have had problems with, I've had relatively few, and it's likely because of G-Sync.

Agree completely that this needs to be in everything, it's a fundamental fix for computer graphics, I think.

pottuvoi

Banned
I tried to search but didn't find an exact answer to my questions.

When displaying games in 120hz on my ezio fg2421, tearing is quite subtle even when vsync is disabled. I have recently been playing dark souls in 60 frames per second, but with the display updating in 120hz (dsfix has a special option for this), the tearing is still very subtle. So ...

Is the reduced visual impact of tearing from updating a display in 120hz preserved irrespective of how many frames per second the game is rendered in?
Is there any benefit in limiting the maximum frames per second at say 30 or 60 when updating the display in 120hz? (thinking about performance intensive games with variable fps like assassins creed unity)
Display changes image every ~8ms instead of ~16ms, this causes tearline and vframe drops etc. to be visible half the time when compared to 60hz monitor.

Top Bottom