• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Days of E3 - Day 7: Microsoft 2010

Microsoft 2010 had better foreshadowing than most films. For half an hour, it started off pretty strong. After that, we entered a hellish vision of what Microsoft would eventually become (temporarily) in 2013. The conference continuously built up, from sending off there biggest guns at the very beginning, to the turning point of the conference at ~30 minutes in. For now though, let's concentrate on that first, wonderful segment.

Microsoft2010KojimaB.png

Starting with Call of Duty: Black Ops, which depending on your outlook on Call of Duty was either acceptable or fucking despicable, was sensible enough with the new three-year early DLC contract. We then get that damn traitor Hideo Kojima talking about Metal Gear Solid on Xbox. Of course I'm only joking, but I'm still convinced that Microsoft refuse to let Japanese developers speak Japanese with translators at their conferences, because Kojima pretty much always has a translator at western conferences. Anyway Metal Gear Solid: Rising looked fucking great so fair enough.

After that, Gear of War 3 was announced fully unveiled, featuring a co-op campaign which was pretty cool, especially with a live demo taking place. They are few and far between, so it was exciting to actually see one. Of course, this was only one of the many live demos at the conference. Yeah, those too. I guess Fable 3 was also shown off, but I was more fixated on Peter Molyneux sounding more and more like a Monty Python character that has escaped fiction. Then there was Project Kingdoms, which was apparently Ryse and so doesn't count as a 360 game. They topped it off with some campaign footage of Halo: Reach, which I suppose was exciting enough. This came after Reach's multiplayer beta was running though, so I don't think anybody was anticipating new gameplay.

Microsoft2010Whitten.png

Then, in Marc Whitten's following talk, his microphone broke, and I feel there is some weird coincidence here because the entire conference went to shit immediately after this happened. Kinect was certainly here, because the rest of the conference, just under an hour, was entirely dedicated to it. We weren't allowed games though, not until we sat through 15 minutes of Ron showing us how to use our magic hands and voice to watch Alice in Wonderland and listen to terrible music*, thanks Ron. We also were informed that a camera with a microphone had the ability to do live video chat, and that Xbox is the best sports console in the world. This may ring some bells for anybody that watched the Xbox One reveal. That was just the utility side of things though, we had some exciting games to look forward to following that.

*Note: this a subjective opinion held by Cheat Code. Your opinion may vary.

Microsoft2010Kinecti.png

Well shit. Kinect isn't off to a great start. Kinectimals was a difficult watch, with the annoying little girl, weird movements and animal abuse culminating in a sign of things to come for Kinect, except it was abusing humans instead of pretend tiger cubs. Then it was Kinect Sports doing exactly what Wii Sports did four years prior. Okay maybe it had running too, but if you want to run, go for a damn run outside. In this, I guess, short demo compilation, we finished with what I am certain is the only time Kinect Joy Ride ever worked properly. This was all weak shit though, Kinect Adventures was the game that was packaged with Kinect, this is gonna be the one that makes us shit ourselves.

While it was probably the most impressive game they showed off, which honestly wasn't that difficult, Kinect Adventures was almost a confirmation that nothing truly impressive would ever be released for it. These avatar based games made up the majority of Kinect titles, and none of them had the same groundbreaking appeal that the Wii in 2006. It didn't help that the two women they had demonstrate the river game annoyed pretty much everyone with their constant screaming. I would imagine they were told to be over-enthusiastic, but tone it down a bit.

Microsoft2010DanceBa.png

I've already spoken about Fitness Evolved when I did Ubisoft 2010, but considering Ubisoft wanted to go for a double I'll take the piss again. Your Shape tried to make doing standard exercises more fun by putting pretend boxes around that you kick the shit out of. After that, perhaps the most infamous Kinect demo started up, Dance Central. Dance Central probably ended up being the most popular Kinect game, by a significant margin. However, the guy that demoed the game a second time didn't really help the game. Honestly, he was a better dancer than I ever will be, but once the GIF wizards get involved, you'll be immortalized on the Internet forever.

dancing.gif

They had to end on something big though, so they saved the big demos for last. It's just a shame one was completely fake and one was completely stupid. Star Wars Kinect sounds like a good concept on paper, but when they decided to show off the game with a CG demo masquerading as a real game, it was easy to work out the game wouldn't turn out well. If you played Star Wars Kinect when it came out, you would know that is absolutely did not. We finished off with Dan Greenawalt with hair giving us the big finish of the game, playing Forza with an imaginary steering wheel. Not only that, but you could look at the car in a really in-depth, including some really sexy headlights. Goddamn those headlights were sexy.

That was it! Sort of. I suppose they actually ended with the new 360 model, an annoucement I don't fully understand the crowd's response to. Even with a wireless and a bigger hard drive, surely after four years the 360 would be cheaper. Also you can buy a better model of a thing you already bought really soon. Maybe people would cheer for anything after that hour of nonsense. Maybe people were just happy it was over. Maybe they were genuinely excited about a new 360 model. Maybe they all got one for free (thanks Jase). Maybe I don't care.

That guy demoing Star Wars screaming "Lightsaber.... ON!!!" still makes me laugh to this day

I remember hearing on the Bombcast that year that apparently that wasn't planned, and it became a huge discussion/panic at Terminal Reality because of it possibly confusing people. Lmao.

Edit: That was actually E3 2011, though, not 2010.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh did they.

Yeah:

Gamespot's live blog said:

Naturally, the move lead to a lot of "Microsoft tried to buy E3" talk. I can't help but wonder if history will repeat itself when the "X1 Slim" is ready to be unveiled.

Megatron

Are you going to show a good Microsoft conference? I imagine 2013 will be coming, will there a good one also?

Are you going to show a good Microsoft conference? I imagine 2013 will be coming, will there a good one also?

Of course there will be a good Microsoft conference, I would be a big anus otherwise.

Their 2013 E3 conference actually wasn't bad, it was their reveal that fucked everyone off.

Gurish

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoy reading this series, really set the mood for E3 and giving it a sense of history, well done man!

Ridley327

Yeah:

Naturally, the move lead to a lot of "Microsoft tried to buy E3" talk.

Was it that effective, though? It seemed like that websites were pretty much on the same wavelength as the rest of the internet in the outright derision of the conference, even if they did get something out of it in a physical manner.

But man, I don't think there's ever been a conference with such amazing gif material before. There are so many classics that came out of that.

And, of course, this pic:

miya1.jpg

Majine

Banned
Started off strong, but then it sorta died when Kinect came into the picture.

That 360 slim sure looked great tho.

I didn't like the direction MS was going from here, when the Kinect stuff came in I was very worried. But, Xbox managed to some how survive the Mattrick era and the Xbox One is on track.

I can hate on Don all I want, but the way he revealed the new Xbox 360 was smooth as fuck.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was it that effective, though? It seemed like that websites were pretty much on the same wavelength as the rest of the internet in the outright derision of the conference, even if they did get something out of it in a physical manner.

But man, I don't think there's ever been a conference with such amazing gif material before. There are so many classics that came out of that.

miya1.jpg

Bill Trinen's face absolutely makes this picture. I laugh every time I see it.

Neifirst

miya1.jpg

Bill Trinen and Shigeru Miyamoto's expressions are priceless!

legacyzero

Banned
That year, I was thinking to myself: "Ugh... Nowhere to go but UP from here." And then 2013 happened.

So glad Xbox fans dont have to look at Mattrick and Whitten's smug faces anymore.

And even though I dont feel compelled to own an Xbone at the time being, I sure hope MS has a good year, and sells me on it, finally.

Ridley327

We also got this gem from that conference.

cOiKX.jpg

All the reports that came out of that event were extraordinary. It all sounded so unreal, and yet you couldn't make that shit up even if you were tripping on shrooms while having a high temperature.

I have always felt like Microsoft's E3 conferences were strongest from a pacing standpoint. Unless someone can refresh my memory, I don't remember them dragging on for too long on a certain subject during their conferences like, say, Ubisoft's Shaun White game or Sony's Wonderbook segment.

I have always felt like Microsoft's E3 conferences were strongest from a pacing standpoint. Unless someone can refresh my memory, I don't remember them dragging on for too long on a certain subject during their conferences like, say, Ubisoft's Shaun White game or Sony's Wonderbook segment.

Their pacing is usually pretty excellent. They definitively had the best conference flow in 2014.

It's just the content that fucks it all up.

Ridley327

What was up with those robes anyway? Some sort of failed attempt at a Kinect cult?

From what I remember from the reports, MS had set up some kind of fancy lighting fixture in the conference hall for that event and the robes played a part in the light show. I have no idea what the hell any of that has to do with motion tracking cameras, but it was clear that Mattrick and co. scored some REALLY good coke.

The final half the 360's life was long and unsatisfying, and this conference was like the symbol of that, they're in a better place now.

Megatron

Of course there will be a good Microsoft conference, I would be a big anus otherwise.

Their 2013 E3 conference actually wasn't bad, it was their reveal that fucked everyone off.

Well they had already revealed most of the bad stuff by then, they were trying to get it out of the way before e3. But man, if they had used e3 to announce the xb1 the way it is now (no Kinect, no drm, no bullshit used games policy), that could have completely changed everything. They might still not be in first. But it would be much closer.

I still want to play that first version of Rising. Other than that, it was another one of those conferences where I was left shaking my head and wondering how much worse the industry could get.

Terrell

Who could forget this conference where Microsoft spent so much time trying to appeal to people who likely already had a Wii?
I remember people talking about Kinect like it was a natural positive evolution for motion control and would make the Wii irrelevant. Except it very quickly became apparent that it wasn't. And now here we are, where I still get use out of my Motion Plus Wiimotes but Kinect and Move died slow deaths. So I kind of giggle at the talk of Hololens and Morpheus being game-changers, because I've heard this song and dance before.

Beyond the content being awful and the banter being painful there were just so many lies and faked demos in this one.

It really is amazing that they continued on this path for so long. Almost another 4 years before they turned things back around.

RowdyReverb

miya1.jpg
Dat URL

MAtgS

Wasn't there a Kinect focused event the day before? That was the most insane part of it all: they announced a Kinect conference & the regular conference & the regular one was still 66% Kinect anyway.

Top Bottom