• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo -2: Marathon 2

Matlock

Banned
Seeing as how it still seems that the Marathon series is the precursor and the very series that Halo belongs to, I decided to pick up and play Marathon 2 to see how it was.

gh.

First off, the controls are atrocious, even if you set them the way you want. Physics were almost nonexistant, with your character being able to run over water easily...The same floatiness was there, so I dunno if I could blame low gravity or not.

But still, it gets more and more obvious as you go along...who you're playing. With the Master-Chief looking armor, a taste for scoped pistols, and a range of enemies that mostly look like sprity palette swap Covenant Elites...well, it's kinda cool. Also of note is the fact that there's no AI to be found...yet. There are some flying robots here and there, but nothing Cortana-level. Graphics and sound are servicable: nothing too good, but they're a-ok.

Overall, it's an interesting little game, but poor gameplay drags it down. I doubt I'd even keep on trying playing it if it weren't related to Halo. :p

Matlock

Banned
mara5.gif

mara7.jpg

That arm, those bad guys! They all look oddly familiar! ;)

Also, a retread to the soundtrack--it has some butt-rock similar to that in Halo.

Joe

i remember playing this game years ago on my friends mac and thinking it was the coolest game. little did i know then that bungie would go and kick my ass down the road.

is there a marathon that will run on windows xp??? those screenshots brought back some memories and i need to play it now!

Mrbob

Haha, damn you, now I'm going to have to play Marathon 2 again! :D

I've been trying to piece this together in my head. If all this is related or just one big coincidence. My memory is a bit fuzzy with Marathon 2, need to see whats in store once more.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Joe said:
is there a marathon that will run on windows xp??? those screenshots brought back some memories and i need to play it now!

http://www.calormen.com/mwd.htm has a guide to getting all of the Marathon games running on Windows with the help of Aleph One. Unfortunately, it looks like the $10 Bungie Mac Action Sack containing all Marathon games has been stricken from Bungie's online store, so various shady Froogle stores or eBay might be your only option there.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
I was under the impression that just the Aleph One multiplatform engine was open source, and that's why http://source.bungie.org/ had links to the Marathon Infinity demo data files -- to give you something free to play with to entice you into buying the complete versions, but maybe things have changed since I was last paying attention.

Matlock said:
Also of note is the fact that there's no AI to be found...yet. There are some flying robots here and there, but nothing Cortana-level.

The first terminal of the game has Durandal talking to you.

durandal.gif

Top Bottom