• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13th |OT| Ava DuVernay's Netflix documentary on mass incarceration — 98% RT | 91 Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Didn't know this existed. Will definitely be my next thing to watch once I'm not super busy.

Also, not that it matters that much, but I just searched for "The 13th" on netflix and nothing came up. It's just "13th"....maybe title should be updated?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Too bad it seems to be a Netflix-exclusive as concise material for the subject matter ought to be more freely available to the internet video generation that could benefit from all of the solid entry points into the general topic that they can get.

I don't know anyone who is a part of the "internet video generation" who doesn't have Netflix.

Lemaitre

Banned
I watched this documentary earlier today and it was quite well made. It highlighted a host of major issues with mass incarceration along with tracing its development throughout our political history and presidencies (Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Bill Clinton).

It amazes me how much damage has been made in just the last half century from fear mongering and playing on long hold stereotypes. Though not much as changed at this point, at least awareness of these issues is at an all time high.

I recommend everyone give it a watch when they can. I picked up a few good book recommendations from it too.

Ploid 3.0

The US needs to let go of using people as slaves. One of my biggest fears is being put in jail never to get out of that vacuum.

lol at the one rotten tomato being from the New York Post

And look at what he says in his review:

DuVernay constructs her film around the fatuous notion that the 13th Amendment, which outlawed slavery, was deliberately constructed with a loophole that was meant to continue the mass enslavement of black people using indirect means.

Maybe I missed something, but I got the impression that they were implying that people took advantage of the loophole. Not that it was intentionally put in place to be exploited. Although, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was actually the truth.

Barzul

Holy fuck this was good and very informative. I cried at the end watching that supercut. Watch this people, you will learn something.

I watched this documentary earlier today and it was quite well made. It highlighted a host of major issues with mass incarceration along with tracing its development throughout our political history and presidencies (Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Bill Clinton).

It amazes me how much damage has been made in just the last half century from fear mongering and playing on long hold stereotypes. Though not much as changed at this point, at least awareness of these issues is at an all time high.

I recommend everyone give it a watch when they can. I picked up a few good book recommendations from it too.

Man I really want to watch it, but I know I will be really pissed off after watching it.

I'm going to add this to my watchlist.

I don't know anyone who is a part of the "internet video generation" who doesn't have Netflix.

Maybe above a certain income level in more developed and urban areas, I can see that. Stuff like this would also be useful for people directly affected by the very issues this documentary covers.

Watched it last night, was incredible viewing. Not going to lie, when Killer Mike came on I was headbanging along. A good companion piece to this would be The House I Live In, which I think is also on Netflix, which focuses more on the 'war on drugs'.

Finally watching this and whew if Ava doesn't fucking get Best Documentary this year. This is 2016's Act of Killing but even better, more required, and more important.

gdt

This is incredible.

But goddamn Grover Norquist is driving me up a wall with his bullshit.

"Liberals let you know Willie Horton was black"

Fuck you dude. Fuck you.

Just finished watching this and... wow. I'm shivering right now. So many things are clear to me now. I'm sharing this with literally everyone I call friend.

I thought I was very informed about this topic before watching, but the entire segment that breaks down ALEC was a new revelation to me. I like how the documentary ties it all together from Reconstruction to the resurgence of the Klan to the "war on crime", then the "war on drugs", then mass incarceration.

The most infuriating part was the story of the kid wrongly incarcerated for 3 years. Gets out of jail with PTSD then hangs himself. Its hard to escape the conclusion that America has spent centuries being a fraud to its Black citizens.

LionPride

Banned
Just watched this with my mom, reaffirmed my dislike of just about every president after JFK tbh. The end with the compilation of videos...tore me to shreds. Too many of us to name.

Apt101

This is one of the best docs ever, and immediate. It's relevant as of this month. Very rare for a doc.

It lays things out succinctly and is absolutely engaging. I love this. I hope Netflix commissions more docs this good.

Incredible Doc, left me and my dad speechless by the end. Feel like it should be required viewing in schools across the usa.

Required viewing. Too bad it seems to be a Netflix-exclusive as concise material for the subject matter ought to be more freely available to the internet video generation that could benefit from all of the solid entry points into the general topic that they can get.

It being on netflix doesn't mean anything (necessarily). A number of Netflix funded series/shows have been released on disc later

Skilletor

I tapped out at the end when they were showing footage of all the shootings. Couldn't handle it.

The rest was very informative, and both sad and infuriating.

The language of the republican party, and the footage of protests overlaid with Trump talking...chills.

Fucking America.

RulkezX

Can't believe a documentary like this has only gotten 2 pages.

Anyway watched it tonight with the wife, and it was a huge eye opener. It helped ( as a white Scot from a small town) understand the context that leads to so much of the conversation around race in the US.

LionPride

Banned
Can't believe a documentary lime this has only gothen 2 pages.

Anyway watched it tonight with the wife, and it was a huge eye opener. It helped ( as a white Scot from a small town) understand the context that leads to so much of the conversation around race in the US.

People don't wanna confront it

Can we talk about how shitty of a rep the ALEC guy was, I mean damn dude was bad

RulkezX

People don't wanna confront it

Can we talk about how shitty of a rep the ALEC guy was, I mean damn dude was bad

He was so far out his depth it was verging on comedy. The way he tried say he didn't understand what people actually had issue with.

Who was the guy throwing the "liberal" stuff around like it was the answer to every criticism ?

Con_Smith

Banned
Documentary is amazing. Simply put it lays the claims with such clarity and little fluff that I was straight captivated the whole time (didn't check my phone once, which is my new barometer for entertainment on TV).

My son will watch this every year just to understand how and why the game is rigged.

Soule

Watching right now but the home wifi dropped. Pretty confronting so far, the portrayal of black men in that movie was horrendous and my girlfriend from the US was very surprised to hear the US accounts for 1/4 of prisoners worldwide, crazy stat. Net should be back up now divimg back in

entremet

This is incredible.

But goddamn Grover Norquist is driving me up a wall with his bullshit.

"Liberals let you know Willie Horton was black"

Fuck you dude. Fuck you.
One of vilest creatures in modern politics. His influence on the modern GOP has been massive and for the worst.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finally was able to get around to watching this. Holy fuck, this documentary needs more views and love. It was is an eye-opener for sure. It was fucking saddening.

Watching footage from Birth of a Nation, seeing the propaganda of Willie Horton, and hearing about ALEC hit me the hardest.

This should be required viewing for all.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Jesus.

45% of the prison population in the U.S. in 2001 were African Americans.

Only halfway through the documentary, it's troubling to say the least.

sqwarlock

Just finished this documentary. I want to scream it from the rooftops that everyone who can should watch this.

Absolutely eye-opening stuff, especially concerning the Clinton-era I grew up in. Living life in a sheltered, lower-middle-class, mostly-liberal family in the suburbs of Phoenix, things didn't seem so bad. There are so many things coming out now that destroy the innocence I had back then, and I'm thankful for it. Our notions need to be challenged. Constantly.

I've always had a rebellious heart—my flower-child, feminist mom created it—and it took a lot of years to get up the courage to stand up against the racist, hate-filled, conservative trends my friends and family were starting to show. And then I spent a few months in Brooklyn in 2005, living and working with a family that experienced racial hatred and violence themselves. I went back to Arizona, changed, forever.

Ever since that moment I've sought out stories and documentaries and novels and memoirs and everything about the injustices served against people of any color but white. I'm not entirely surprised this only had a few stars on Netflix when I went to play it. People still like to ignore that this stuff happens. People still like to think this isn't a systemic problem. People still like to think that "racism is over".

People need to stop, sit down for a couple of hours, and watch this film. And then go watch some more. And read some books, watch interviews, go educate yourselves about this problem that continues to plague our country.

I finally was able to get around to watching this. Holy fuck, this documentary needs more views and love. It was is an eye-opener for sure. It was fucking saddening.

Watching footage from Birth of a Nation, seeing the propaganda of Willie Horton, and hearing about ALEC hit me the hardest.

This should be required viewing for all.

Quoted for my exact feelings.
Required viewing.

I was already fairly informed on mass incarceration and the dog-whistles of racism in politics, but this is the ideal primer for the less informed. This movie needed to exist.

Sunster

fck what I knew about the prison system before watching this was just the tip of the most fcked up iceberg.

Saw this a few days ago and glad to say I did. Great documentary and as many have said before it's def required viewing for everyone.

I watched this last night. It definitely is infuriating and shows how insidious racism and profiteering is in this country. You could literally make a movie on illegal aliens jumping off of this. All people of color should be aware of the deceptive societal constructs in place to persecute them and benefit the modern plantation owners i.e. Corporations.

Watched it last night, was incredible viewing. Not going to lie, when Killer Mike came on I was headbanging along. A good companion piece to this would be The House I Live In, which I think is also on Netflix, which focuses more on the 'war on drugs'.

Thank you for the recommendation. Sadly, for being an old film, it's not on Netflix (or didn't find it).

However, The House I Live in is a powerful film as well. I was surprised that the director was white. Some of the floating heads in 13th were in here as well. It's almost like she used it as a foundation/jumping point. But most of the information is out there.

ALEC, the prison system, the weapon/gun industry, police force, politicians...they're all in on it. Class warfare with a colorful icing called racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom