• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 of the Greatest Sports videogames

15. Pong - The first coin-op videogame was a sports game . . . a crude game of tennis. Or was it table tennis? No matter. It started it all. Pong was tested initially in Andy Capp's Tavern, a bar in Sunnyvale, California. After only one day the game's popularity had grown to the point where people lined up outside Andy Capp's waiting for it to open.
After a while the unit broke down, and the bar's owner called it removed. Upon opening the unit, the problem was discovered - the milk carton placed inside to catch the coins was overflowing with quarters, causing the coin switch to become jammed. According to the account given by Nolan Bushnell, the Pong cabinet at Andy Capp's broke down the day after it was installed.
250px-Pong.png

14. Mattel Football (1978)- OK it is stretching things to call this a videogame but it was so revolutionary that it gave us a taste as to how fun electronic sports game could be.
Mattel-Football.jpg

13. Blades of Steel - Back in the days when hockey was a pretense for a boxing match, Blades of Steel provided a game that was half-hockey game and half-fighting game. Pure bliss.
Blades_of_Steel_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

12. Madden NFL 2004 - One of the better years of this long running venerable franchise. It hasn't quite hit its stride on the current next-gen consoles yets.
madden04_ps2box_160w.jpg

11. NBA Street volume . . . ah just pick your favorite volume - A great arcade action basketball game that is real fun.
nba-street-v3-20050208023114647.jpg

10. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (or maybe 2?) - This was the high-water mark of the Tony Hawk games. Do amazing skateboard tricks that you could never dream of doing . . . and string them together in combos that Tony Hawk himself couldn't dream of doing. You could pull a 'Christ-air' . . . now that was a religious experience.
th3_24.jpg

9. MVP Baseball 2005 - It sucks that EA can't make a baseball game since they've made some great ones. But I guess some of the guys that made MVP 2005 are now over at Kush working on MLB 2K8, so hopefully it will improve.
mvp05_xboxboxboxart_160w.jpg

8. Dr. J and Larry Bird go One-on-One - One of the first times that real professional atheletes were used in videogames. Did you like to play to Dr.J and and go for the back-board shattering dunk? Or did you like the finesse of Larry Bird throwing 3-pointers? Either way, you loved it.
4.jpg

7. Punch-Out - Still the most talked about boxing game.
3.jpg

6. Sensible Soccer - A shout-out to our allies across the pond, sensible soccer was a break-through football over in the Britain like Tecmo Bowl was a break-though football game over here in the USA.
Sensible_soccer_MD.png

5. Atari Football (arcade) - Design simplicity at its best . . . Just Xs and Os on the field and a trackball and a single button for control.
118124219532.png

4. Tecmo Bowl - Well, I already gave away the fact that this game was one of the greats that would make the list. Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, L.T. The game had only four plays . . . AND WE LIKED IT!
TBH.jpg

3. Wii Sports - The most recently release game on this list . . . this is the game that has helped make the Wii the massive success that it has become. Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, Golf, and Boxing . . . all playable with motion sensing Wii-mote.
Ugh . . . I can't believe the best recent sports game can't even do HDTV!
250px-Wii_Sports_Europe.jpg

2. ESPN NFL 2K5 - Great gameplay, great announcing, The Crib, franchise mode, NFL License, ESPN license, online leagues, etc . . . all for low low price of $19.99! Probably the best value in sports gaming ever. It was nice to see Visual Concepts return to the gridiron with APF 2K8 but that game does meet their former greatness.
espn-nfl-2k5-20040716112605018-000.jpg

1. EA Sports' NHL '94 - You knew it was gonna win, didn't you? It made it into the movie "Swingers" for a reason.

NHL_Hockey_94_gen_ScreenShot2.jpg

Trent: I wish they still had fights in this game so I could bitch-slap Wayne.
Mike: What? They don't have fighting anymore?
Trent: Doesn't that suck?
Mike: Why'd they get rid of the fighting? It was the best part of the old version.
Sue: I think kids were hittin' each other or somethin', man.
Trent: Yeah but you know what, Mike? You can make their heads bleed in this one.
Mike: Make somebody's head bleed.
Sue: No man, we're in the playoffs.
Trent: I'm gonna make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed for super-fan #99 over here.

Phthisis

While I can't disagree with the greatness of almost all of those titles, any Best Sports Games Ever list that doesn't have NHL 2K3 on it is incomplete.

Fusebox

Banned
Good list, although I've never been into the NFL and NHL games, probably a regional thing.

Out of the older games I'd probably have Summer Games, Winter Games, NBA Jam, Lakers v Celtics, Hot Shots and 4-D Boxing on my list.

Fusebox said:
Out of the older games I'd probably have Summer Games, Winter Games, NBA Jam, Lakers v Celtics, Hot Shots and 4-D Boxing on my list.

Konami's track & field should have been up there. I was just spending too much time on that list.

Xtyle

I haven't played any of them, but shouldn't one of the Fight Nights make the list?

also, no Winning Elven/Pro Evolution Soccer????

Doel

I love that someone is finally recognizing hockey videogames :D

That's what 1up's sports podcast needs to do a lot more of. 1up/EGM has a huge Canadian following yet hockey seems largely ignored in that podcast. But I guess you can't fault them if no one on there is all that interested or into the sport.

Joei

I'm surprised not to see NBA Jam, as others have mentioned, as well as Bases Loaded for NES. Baseball Stars was pretty awesome too, as was Baseball Simulator 1.000. Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball was great too. There are so many good baseball games for NES and SNES. As for Punch-Out!, I'd take Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! instead. THPS2>THPS3 in case you were wondering.

And as much as I don't watch hockey games, the hockey video games back then were so awesome.

M3wThr33

Banned
1. Tony Hawk's Project 8
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
3. Tony Hawk's Underground
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
5. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
7. Tony Hawk's Underground 2
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
9. Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
10. Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX

M3wThr33 said:
1. Tony Hawk's Project 8

Dude . . . where is the love for aggressive inline skating?

my top sports games

Tecmo Super Bowl
Baseball for Gameboy
Hajime no Ippo 2
Hajime no Ippo GBA
NHL 98
NHL 94
Winning Eleven 9

others I cant think of right now

Doel said:
I love that someone is finally recognizing hockey videogames :D

That's what 1up's sports podcast needs to do a lot more of. 1up/EGM has a huge Canadian following yet hockey seems largely ignored in that podcast. But I guess you can't fault them if no one on there is all that interested or into the sport.

I think that hockey is the game that best translates to videogames. It is fast, violent, and stops only rarely. I'm looking foward to playing NHL 2K8 in 1080p and 60fps this year. Both the EA Sports & 2K Sports NHL games were good last year.

westical said:
Need SSX Tricky in that list.

And ET's Rugby League.

I almost put SSX 3 in there. SSX was a great series . . . what happened to it? All that has come out lately is SSX blur. I want SSX in HD.

M3wThr33 said:
1. Tony Hawk's Project 8

Herecy!

Pimpwerx

Wow! NFL2K5 made that list, but not Gameday 98? The game that made the first football move to 3D, embarassed Madden that year, and revamped running game controls? No, it certainly wasn't perfect, but this is the only (fine, it's at least the first) non-Madden football game to ever really make an impact on Madden since the 32bit gen. I know, Sega's Joe Montana and Sports Talk series gave EA a real run on the 16bit machines. Hell, I was all about Sports Talk Football over Madden. Better animations, controls and playbook IMO. But Madden turned it around bigtime after 1996, and GD98 is the only game I think that owned Madden in the modern era. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd add Hot Shots Golf and Baseball Stars to that list. How I forgot those is beyond me. But HSG is the best golf series ever (kills Lynx IMO) and Baseball Stars still haven't been topped by any ****ing sports title in the area of customization and flexibility. It might be nostalgia, but I remember that game being all kinds of awesome when making your own franchise and building players.

At least NHL94 got some love. I could list Joe Montana football for introducing live commentary to sports games too. But those 90+ yd bombs made the commentary pretty repetitive. :lol Kinda sad that racing is a genre seperate from sports, b/c then this list would be chock full of FZeros, Outruns and GT's for me. :D

EDIT2: OH MAN, who can forget about Lakers vs Celtics. I think it was the last "vs." hoops game EA made, but **** almighty weren't those games the be-all, end-all of hoops at the time. Damn, I'm on a nostalgia kick tonight or something. I'm just thinking about the defining moments in sports gaming for me. These are just a few.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-Hard for me to argue with the #1.

-I'm with the Tricky love; liked it more than 3, which was also a great game.

-Street Volume 2 was the best I believe, many fans seem to agree. The rubber-band AI was brutal but it was still quite a fun game.

-I'd include PES/WE (7 probably being the best for its time, the only metric you can use really) since it's hands-down the best sports series of the past five years.

-have been a lot of great golf games (HSG3 springs to mind).

-Virtua Tennis was another amazing game, ridiculously fun four-player experience.

Could go on forever (nods to Stunt Track Racer, Mutant League Football, Madden 92, NBA Jam, Road Rash, and countless others). Thread makes me realize how many great sports games there are. The genre rightfully gets a lot of heat for the annual updates, but it's provided me with probably thousands of hours entertainment over the years.

Mr Jared

Barkley's Justice said:
and OH MY GOODNESS how could you forget

yNBA_Jam.png

NBA Showtime destroys it though ... actually, up to about 2 years ago, people at my arcade STILL played NBA Showtime regularly. Myself included!

Pimpwerx

AstroLad said:
-Hard for me to argue with the #1.

-I'm with the Tricky love; liked it more than 3, which was also a great game.

-Street Volume 2 was the best I believe, many fans seem to agree. The rubber-band AI was brutal but it was still quite a fun game.

-I'd include PES/WE (7 probably being the best for its time, the only metric you can use really) since it's hands-down the best sports series of the past five years.

-have been a lot of great golf games (HSG3 springs to mind).

-Virtua Tennis was another amazing game, ridiculously fun four-player experience.

Could go on forever (nods to Stunt Track Racer, Mutant League Football, Madden 92, NBA Jam, Road Rash, and countless others). Thread makes me realize how many great sports games there are. The genre rightfully gets a lot of heat for the annual updates, but it's provided me with probably thousa-nds of hours entertainment over the years.
Ah, ****ing soccer. That's what I was trying to remember. PES deserves a shout. But I have no idea what the first game was that had through balls. That was an enormous improvement in soccer gameplay. FIFA took a long time to catch on with that and ball physics, so one of those Pro Evos/Winning Elevens needs to make the list as well. The world's #1 sports has a guaranteed slot or two on the list IMO. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

alkaline black said:
NBA Showtime destroys it though ... actually, up to about 2 years ago, people at my arcade STILL played NBA Showtime regularly. Myself included!
Yeah, but when Jamz came out, there was nothing else on the market like it. I think that sets it apart, eventhough followers have since upstages the series. Just my opinion. That's the beauty of them, we all have one. :) PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
Ah, ****ing soccer. That's what I was trying to remember. PES deserves a shout. But I have no idea what the first game was that had through balls. That was an enormous improvement in soccer gameplay. FIFA took a long time to catch on with that and ball physics, so one of those Pro Evos/Winning Elevens needs to make the list as well. The world's #1 sports has a guaranteed slot or two on the list IMO. PEACE.

Yeah, the list is a bit too North America biased. (Not USA-biased since it does give big recognition to the national sport/religion of Canada.)

speculawyer said:
Are those big-head baseball games?

no, those are boxing games (the best two boxing games)

the big headed baseball games are the Power Pro games or Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū. Those game are fun, but they are way too simple and easy, Baseball Stars 2 and more recently The Bigs are better baseball games.

FightyF

Banned
NHL '94 was great, but
198190_pc.jpg
was better.

Blades of Steel, NHLPA Hockey '93, and Powerplay '96 were some of the most important sports games to have ever come out.

I would agree with the 2K series being important, but the upgrades have been very gradual and while a few titles stick out in my mind...I can't compare one to the impact that a game like PowerPlay '96 has made.

IMG_1061.jpg

Sorry, it had to be mentioned. Sega just loaded this game up with too much win and awesome for it to get snubbed the way it did.

Lobster said:
Any sports games on the NES,SNES,GB were win..3d Sport games are average compared to 2d ones..

I think Soccer games got much better with the leap to 3D, but that might be the only sport

Boxing also, but they are kinda even.

Lobster

Banned
Linkzg said:
I think Soccer games got much better with the leap to 3D, but that might be the only sport

Boxing also, but they are kinda even.

Ye maybe Soccer..but dam 2d was great for sports, especially for baseball.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Yeah, the list is a bit too North America biased. (Not USA-biased since it does give big recognition to the national sport/religion of Canada.)

The lack of PES/Winning Eleven seriously damages the credibility of your list. The game is a ****ing phenomena in Europe/Asia.

Top Bottom