• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

19 months later: The DS's best

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Over at Modojo I put together a DS buyer's guide to help out all the gamers just now coming into the DS fold thanks to the DS Lite:

http://www.modojo.com/features/87/

Took 16 hyped DS titles and sorted them into Buy, Consider, or Skip ratings, along with an explanation of our decision. I wanted to do this for a couple of reasons -

First, about once a month or so someone would make a GAF topic asking for DS game suggestions. The system's library has gotten extremely robust very, very quickly. If you haven't been paying close attention its hard to know what's worth buying. Luckily, I have been paying attention :) My DS library is now at like 33 or something crazy.

Secondly, when people hop onto a new platform after its been available for a while, I feel like sometimes some of the older games get forgotten, even though they shouldn't. Kirby Canvas Curse is a FANTASTIC game, for example.

In any case, I know the guide isn't perfect (no meteos, no M&L:piT), but I still feel good about it. I suggest Rub Rabbits over WarioWare, Kirby over Yoshi, etc. It's advice like that that new DS gamers need to know, IMO.

For those keeping track, here's the 16 games profiled, broken down:

BUY
Trauma Center
Kirby Canvas Curse
Advance Wars DS
Tetris DS
Pheonix Wright
Mario Kart DS
Bomberman (ONLY if you intend to get your DS multiplayer on)

CONSIDER
Yoshi Touch & Go
Rub Rabbits
New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Metroid Prime: Hunters

SKIP
WarioWare Touched
Nintendogs
Super Princess Peach
Worms: Open Warfare

Kuran

Banned
Kind of disagree about Peach... its a beautiful little traditional 2D platformer.. I'm really super happy that games like these are still being made.. :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
You put Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Bomberman and Kirby Canvas Curse over New SMB? Ummm....

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Your list is a failure since it doesn't include Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan.

Edit: Castlevania is in the wrong place too. (I haven't played NSMB yet, waiting for a black DS Lite)

Chiggs

Archie said:
You put Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Bomberman and Kirby Canvas Curse over New SMB? Ummm....

Yeah, I don't think that's right. NSMB is the system's must have title.

ant1532 said:
I diasgree with New Super Mario Bros in consider section. I would say BUY.

I agree. Anyone I know that is getting a DS will hear three things from me: get a Lite, get Trauma Center, and get NSMB.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil DS: Consider
NSMB: Buy
Castlevania: Buy

Also I think any of you skipped games could be considered at a reduced price.

suaveric

Ugh. How could you have Kirby over NSMB? Kirby is an ok game that happened to come out when the DS had next to nothing worth playing.

Busaiku

New Super Mario Bros and Castlevanai: Dawn Of Sorrow are definitely must buys.
Super Princess Peach is at least a consider.

GDJustin

The article breaks down the DS games into three categories:

Touch Screen Controls
Traditional Controls
Multiplayer-focused titles

That's why some of the things shook out the way they did. My thinking was that every new DS owner will probably want one or two touch-specific games, just to see what all the fuss is about. Longtime DS owners are "over it" and don't care about Mario Kart or Mario Bros. not being touch-focused, but I remember when I first got my DS I loooved the touch screen minigames in SM64DS, etc. So I wanted to suggest the best (and overhyped) touch-centric games first (Trauma Center, Kirby, Rub Rabbits, Nintendogs, etc). Which of those did and didn't hold up?

After that I moved on to the traditional games, which was a tough category. While NSMB is fantastic, I played it a lot for about 7-10 days, and I haven't had any desire to play it since. It's a great game, which is why its in the "consider" category. Platform fans should probably buy it. I just felt that AWDS, Tetris, and Pheonix Wright were overall better additions to a new DS owners' library. I've put an astonishing amount of time into all three.

For the record Castlevania and NSMB were by far the hardest calls to make. They were very close to being on the "buy" side, but I didn't want to end up suggesting like 15 games to buy, so I had to make some tough calls. I stand by Peach being crap :)

jjasper

Busaiku said:
New Super Mario Bros and Castlevanai: Dawn Of Sorrow are definitely must buys.
Super Princess Peach is at least a consider.
Granted I only own NSMB Meteos,and Castlevania at this point, but I really don't see how handheld games can get much better than this, how are they not buys?

Rlan

top_img04.jpg

Attaaaaaack!

GDJustin

jjasper said:
Granted I only own NSMB Meteos,and Castlevania at this point, but I really don't see how handheld games can get much better than this, how are they not buys?

I gave an explanation above, but there's a bit more to it, too. Not everyone is like me, with 33 DS games *already* in my library. They want the best of the best, across the genres they're into. Can't afford or don't want to pick up the "just good" titles.

So, with that in mind, remember there's another Castlevania coming out shortly, which looks to improve on DoS in a lot of key areas.

Also remember that there's a couple of 2D platformers coming out from Nintendo this fall. My hunch is that NSMB, while very good, is a far cry from brilliant or genius. My hope is that Yoshi Island 2 will be that full-fledged 2d DS killer app. Mario is good, but in MY opinion isn't a system seller.

Edit: I know there's another Bomberman coming out which invalidates some of the above, but cut me some slack ;) I was tempted to suggest Big Brain Academy in the multi category... but eh.

You say Bomberman is a BUY title, whilst still considering multiplayer... but, wait-wait a moment, is this a slip on your account? You're telling us to consider a title in the BUY column while having another column completely dedicated to titles you should consider? Pssh Tash!

And furthermore, consideration is needed to buy two of the DS' absolute best in NSMB and Castlevania?

Otherwise, nice lis--WHAT?! NO OUENDAN?

Please try again.

melvoin

Banned
BUY
Trauma Center (ok)
Kirby Canvas Curse (ok)
Advance Wars DS (ok)
Tetris DS (Should be consider. For multiplayer only)
Pheonix Wright (I think this game is very overrated, so I would move this to consider)
Mario Kart DS (Consider. For multiplayer only)
Bomberman (Consider. For multiplayer only)

Add: Super Mario 64 DS

CONSIDER
Yoshi Touch & Go(ok)
Rub Rabbits(Skip)
New Super Mario Bros.(ok - I wasn't particularly taken with NSMB either)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow(Definite buy)
Metroid Prime: Hunters(multiplayer only)

Add: Animal Crossing, Meteos, Magnetica, RE:DS, MMBN5 DS(only if you haven't played it on GBA), Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Touch Swing Golf, Pokemon Trozei, etc, etc.

SKIP
WarioWare Touched(Should be consider)
Nintendogs(This should certainly be consider. Just because you aren't into this type of game doesn't mean no one else will. I mean, it got 40/40 in Famitsu and has sold millions of copies)
Super Princess Peach(Consider only if you're new to platformers, otherwise skip)
Worms: Open Warfare(haven't played)

Though the skip list could go on forever, I would add Trace Memory, Polarium, Pokemon Dash, and any other unworthy Nintendo-released titles.

Deku

Banned
I would add Age of Empires -Age of Kings- for the DS on the Consider list.

It's an strong strategy game for those who want a change of pace from the Advance Wars games. Also it is really the only good TBS alternative to AW on the DS. It's also fairly comprehensive as an introduction to the historical backgrounds of each warring factions complete with essay length write-ups on the technology, and history. In turning AoE into a Turn based strategy game, the devs took elements of Civilization franchise and incorporated it into the game. It's an impressive game.

Shapermc

That's not a bad list. I agree with the placement of DoS, but I know that I am in the minority. I would like to recommend that you take a look at putting Lost Magic into the consider category. It highlights the touch screen and multiplayer experience really well and is also a stiff challenge.

Kudos to Kirby and Trauma Center being in the right spot.

GDJustin

melvoin said:
BUY
Trauma Center (ok)
Kirby Canvas Curse (ok)
Advance Wars DS (ok)
Tetris DS (Should be consider. For multiplayer only)
Pheonix Wright (I think this game is very overrated, so I would move this to consider)
Mario Kart DS (Consider. For multiplayer only)
Bomberman (Consider. For multiplayer only)

Add: Super Mario 64 DS

CONSIDER
Yoshi Touch & Go(ok)
Rub Rabbits(Skip)
New Super Mario Bros.(ok - I wasn't particularly taken with NSMB either)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow(Definite buy)
Metroid Prime: Hunters(multiplayer only)

Add: Animal Crossing, Meteos, Magnetica, RE:DS, MMBN5 DS(only if you haven't played it on GBA), Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Touch Swing Golf, Pokemon Trozei, etc, etc.

Read the article! Those games are for multiplayer only! There's an entire category devoted to which games are and aren't worth picking up for multiplayer. Someone else brought this up as well.

Also there's no Ouendan because it isn't a domestic release. I own it. I love it. Modojo gave it a very rare 5/5. But we simply didn't want to get into what imports were and weren't worth picking up, in this feature.

Tiktaalik

hmmmm personally I'd do these changes to your list:

BUY
-New Super Mario Bros
-Mario and Luigi 2
-Castlevania

CONSIDER
- Ouendan (if you like music games and are willing to import)
- Nintendogs (if it's cheap)
-Animal Crossing (I think everyone should consider trying this out, because eventhough I was unsure of the concept and I only picked it up because I could get it free, I played it every day for 4 months or something.)
- Meteos (if you've already picked up tetris ds, and you can get this cheap)

I picked up Nintendogs for $22. The first couple of hours, I didn't regret it. But now, I don't care if a nuclear bomb is dropped on my renovation-in-progress house and evaporates my puppy into microscopic dust particles. He's a little shit.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New Super Mario Bros is a reason alone to buy a DS Lite. Well, I learnt today even greatness can't make unanimity.

GDJustin

marc^o^ said:
New Super Mario Bros is a reason alone to buy a DS Lite. Well, I learnt today even greatness can't make unanimity.

I just don't get it. I'm not a "NSMB" hater by any stretch of the imagination... my own review was very positive, and I firmly suggest that all DS owners consider buying it. I just don't think its a "must own."

All the praise for the game seems to be extremely hyperbolic, and when someone awards the game with more realistic levels of praise they get pounced on.

The game is good, but it isn't as good as SMB3, Yoshi Island, or SMW. All three of those games struck like lightning our of a clear sky, in their own ways. NSMB didn't. It simply... exists. I'll probably play through it again in a few months or few years, because it is very good, but I'm *already* not playing it with the regularity that I play Mario Kart, Tetris, Trauma Center, Ouendan etc.

jjasper

GDJustin said:
I gave an explanation above, but there's a bit more to it, too. Not everyone is like me, with 33 DS games *already* in my library. They want the best of the best, across the genres they're into. Can't afford or don't want to pick up the "just good" titles.

So, with that in mind, remember there's another Castlevania coming out shortly, which looks to improve on DoS in a lot of key areas.

Also remember that there's a couple of 2D platformers coming out from Nintendo this fall. My hunch is that NSMB, while very good, is a far cry from brilliant or genius. My hope is that Yoshi Island 2 will be that full-fledged 2d DS killer app. Mario is good, but in MY opinion isn't a system seller.

Edit: I know there's another Bomberman coming out which invalidates some of the above, but cut me some slack ;) I was tempted to suggest Big Brain Academy in the multi category... but eh.
Yeah I was too late with my reply, must have been typing a little slower than you:) I can see where you are coming from. I am relatively new to the DS so like I said I don't have the best reference, but I do love the 3 games I have gotta stand up for 'em:lol

PS I really need to get trauma center.

Belfast

GDJustin said:
Read the article! Those games are for multiplayer only! There's an entire category devoted to which games are and aren't worth picking up for multiplayer. Someone else brought this up as well.

Also there's no Ouendan because it isn't a domestic release. I own it. I love it. Modojo gave it a very rare 5/5. But we simply didn't want to get into what imports were and weren't worth picking up, in this feature.

Oh Justin, you expected people to actually READ the article? That's not how we do things here at neoGAF!

Teasel

Belfast said:
Oh Justin, you expected people to actually READ the article? That's not how we do things here at neoGAF!
i readed the article... and i'm disappointed to see there is no Consider:pac-pix in the TouchScreen part... also i think that mario kart and advance wars ds aren't that good but that's just me. oh and kirby suck...

GDJustin

Teasel said:
i readed the article... and i'm disappointed to see there is no Consider:pac-pix in the TouchScreen part... also i think that mario kart and advance wars ds aren't that good but that's just me. oh and kirby suck...

If Pac-Pix would have been included it would have been in the "skip" category... the only reason I didn't do a write-up on pac-pix and why it should be skipped is because I didn't think enough new DS owners would even consider the game.

It's one of the DS games I regret purchasing the most. That, WW Touched, Dig Dig Digging Strike, and Nintendogs are the purchases I most wish I could take back.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Deku said:
I would add Age of Empires -Age of Kings- for the DS on the Consider list.

It's an strong strategy game for those who want a change of pace from the Advance Wars games. Also it is really the only good TBS alternative to AW on the DS. It's also fairly comprehensive as an introduction to the historical backgrounds of each warring factions complete with essay length write-ups on the technology, and history. In turning AoE into a Turn based strategy game, the devs took elements of Civilization franchise and incorporated it into the game. It's an impressive game.

I agree with this very much.

I'd have to move up NSMB and Castlevania to buys. I also can't help but feel that Phoenix Wright is massively overrated, but since these types of games are rarely done well on handheld, I'm sure many would enjoy it. The Peach game is shite, you nailed that.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Here's my list. It's highly official and acclaimed.

Buy:
NSMB
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Castlevania: DoS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Mario Kart DS

Consider:
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Animal Crossing Wild World
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Move to Buy list if you love Resident Evil)
Meteos
Tony Hawk: AW (If you love Tony Hawk games, move to Buy list)

Pass:
Nintendogs
Mario 64 (the controls really do hinder this game)
Wario Ware Touched
Pretty much everything else.

Teasel

GDJustin said:
If Pac-Pix would have been included it would have been in the "skip" category... the only reason I didn't do a write-up on pac-pix and why it should be skipped is because I didn't think enough new DS owners would even consider the game.

It's one of the DS games I regret purchasing the most. That, WW Touched, Dig Dig Digging Strike, and Nintendogs are the purchases I most wish I could take back.
why? i loved it and i see that someone that work there share the same feeling

svenuce

Phoenix Wright as a buy. I approve thist list.

NSMB - yawn.

That said, posting about this article at GAF makes GDJustin a glutton for punishment. No good could have ever come from it.

suaveric said:
Ugh. How could you have Kirby over NSMB? Kirby is an ok game that happened to come out when the DS had next to nothing worth playing.
Kirby is one of my favorite games on the system. It was one of the titles that sold me on the machine at a time when I had no interest in it, and I can still go back and have a blast with that game.

thefro

GDJustin said:
I just don't get it. I'm not a "NSMB" hater by any stretch of the imagination... my own review was very positive, and I firmly suggest that all DS owners consider buying it. I just don't think its a "must own."

All the praise for the game seems to be extremely hyperbolic, and when someone awards the game with more realistic levels of praise they get pounced on.

The game is good, but it isn't as good as SMB3, Yoshi Island, or SMW. All three of those games struck like lightning our of a clear sky, in their own ways. NSMB didn't. It simply... exists. I'll probably play through it again in a few months or few years, because it is very good, but I'm *already* not playing it with the regularity that I play Mario Kart, Tetris, Trauma Center, Ouendan etc.

What's important is that NSMB is more fun to play than SMB3 and SMW right now, and not less fun than your nostalgatic memory about how fun those games were.

I'll agree that Yoshi's Island is more fun than NSMB.

aku:jiki

How come I was the only one turned off by Trauma Center's ridiculous storyline and too over the top magic mumbo jumbo it had going on? I absolutely loved the first few levels -- and even showed my mom (who is about as technically literate as a monkey) who thought it was awesome -- but the more and more "GUILT" it had, the less fun it became.

Amir0x

Banned
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is the best DS game by a fair margin, so I can't agree with your list. But on the other hand, you cheerfully placed Nintendogs on the SKIP list - a wise beyond your years decision. If you had placed Animal Crossing there with the SKIP side, we'd be going places.

I would, however, reccomend adding Sonic Rush to the BUY, side, or at the very least CONSIDER side... that's a rad game. Rub Rabbits sucks, and New! Super Mario Bros. is like a billion times better so we disagree there.

Mario and Luigi 2 should be in the consider category.

aku:jiki said:
How come I was the only one turned off by Trauma Center's ridiculous storyline and too over the top magic mumbo jumbo it had going on?

You weren't. Trauma Center was hella lame, and I'm not a fan of Phoenix Wright either. They're current GAF lovebirds, though.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Amir0x said:
You weren't. Trauma Center was hella lame, and I'm not a fan of Phoenix Wright either. They're current GAF lovebirds, though.
Weren't you the guy that kept complaining that they couldn't zoom in Trauma Center though?

Top Bottom