• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

19 months later: The DS's best

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
thefro said:
What's important is that NSMB is more fun to play than SMB3 and SMW right now, and not less fun than your nostalgatic memory about how fun those games were.

I totally disagree, though I love NSMB and think it's a "buy". Those are legitimately classic games that haven't lost any of their playability. To a new or old audience. They seem like better games than NSMB even today.

Amir0x

Banned
Haleon said:
Weren't you the guy that kept complaining that they couldn't zoom in Trauma Center though?

no, wasn't me

my current list of justice:

BUY:

Kirby: Canvas Curse
New! Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: DoS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Sonic Rush
Tony Hawk: AW
Meteos

CONSIDER:

Mario and Luigi 2
Mario Kart DS
Mario 64: DS
Wario Ware: Touched

BUY SUPER CHEAP:

Zoo Keeper
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Metroid Prime: Hunters

PASS:

Trace Memory
Lost in Blue
Feel the Magic XY/XX
Rub Rabbits
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

JUNK, and then BURN:

Brain Training
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Asphalt: GT
Ridge Racer DS

aku:jiki

Amir0x said:
You weren't. Trauma Center was hella lame, and I'm not a fan of Phoenix Wright either. They're current GAF lovebirds, though.
I didn't like Phoenix Wright either, but I didn't dare post that in my last post for fear of being eaten alive by the GAF hordes. :(

I also hate Trace Memory.

And I first played Kirby about a month or two ago and I absolutely loved it. Beat it with every character and everything. That's how you do a fun DS game, that actually uses the DS' strengths.

Amir0x

Banned
aku:jiki said:
I didn't like Phoenix Wright either, but I didn't dare post that in my last post for fear of being eaten alive by the GAF hordes. :(

I also hate Trace Memory.

And I first played Kirby about a month or two ago and I absolutely loved it. Beat it with every character and everything. That's how you do a fun DS game, that actually uses the DS' strengths.

Yeah, Kirby: Canvas Curse is rad. I usually HATE Kirby, but Canvas Curse was a total :eek: for me.

aku:jiki

Hey, why the Brain Training hate?

I'm on my fourth day right now and I really like it. I love how it feels accurate, Kawashima kept asking me if I was tired today and he's right -- I'm exhausted today. (The game blows at voice recognition though! I don't know how many times I have to shout "BLACK!!" into it for it to register.)

Amir0x

Banned

I'm on my fourth day right now and I really like it. I love how it feels accurate, Kawashima kept asking me if I was tired today and he's right -- I'm exhausted today. (The game blows at voice recognition though! I don't know how many times I have to shout "BLACK!!" into it for it to register.)

a thread for another day, friend!

jgkspsx

Amir0x said:
Asphalt: GT
Horrible bugs, but dammit it's fun. If you don't have a PSP and you want a portable 3D racer that isn't infected with Mario, it's the best you'll do.

Also, Polarium is a strong "buy if cheap" or even a "consider."

Gio_CoD

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Horrible bugs, but dammit it's fun. If you don't have a PSP and you want a portable 3D racer that isn't infected with Mario, it's the best you'll do.

Also, Polarium is a strong "buy if cheap" or even a "consider."
Good point. Polarium is fun, if limited in gameplay. For instance, it's the first game EVER that my girlfriend has completely beaten.

Amir0x

Banned
jgkspsx said:

i'm sorry, that's like saying "I'll accept Sudeki because there's not that many jRPGs on Xbox."

Asphalt GT is just a terrible racer and it deserves to be mocked, not least because it's a ****ing port of a game that was already awful on Ngage. That should speak volumes!

But opinions, etc ;)

rafman400 said:
is "mario and lugi partners in time" worth a buy?

Definitely strongly worth considering. I enjoyed it, although it's clearly not as good as the first Mario and Luigi. It does a lot of neat things.

ZeoVGM

Banned
suaveric said:
Ugh. How could you have Kirby over NSMB? Kirby is an ok game that happened to come out when the DS had next to nothing worth playing.

very untrue. Kirby is one of the best 2D platformers since Yoshi's Island. not even close to "ok"

but yeah i know this whole thread is just an advertisement for your site or whatever but i think the list is horrible (of course i own like 25 ds games)

BUY
Bomberman (ONLY if you intend to get your DS multiplayer on)

CONSIDER
New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Metroid Prime: Hunters

SKIP
WarioWare Touched
Nintendogs
Super Princess Peach

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Buy

Trauma Center
NSMB
Mario Kart
Castlevania
Ouendan

Strongly Consider
Metroid
Advance Wars
Sonic Rush
Kirby

Consider Somewhat
Brain Age
Sonic Rush
Phoenix Wright (I'm sorry, it's a text based "game")
Mario 64

Skip
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing

ZeoVGM

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Really? Hmmm...

yep i got it last night. really nice price imo. and the if you still like the gameplay of the series, it's a great game to grab at that price.

out of my collection, here we go.

MUST BUY
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Animal Crossing
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Castlevania: DoS
Feel the Magic
Kirby: CC
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi
Meteos
Metroid Prime Hunters
New Super Mario Bros.
Sonic Rush
Tetris DS
Trauma Center
Viewtiful Joe
Wario Ware

CONSIDER
Mega Man: BN5
Metroid Prime Pinball
Nintendogs
Polarium
Puyo Pop Fever
Resident Evil: DS
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach

SKIP
Asphalt Urban GT
Madden NFL 05
Spider-Man 2

(already traded those crappy games in. the only DS games i got rid of)

and really, a game like Puyo Pop should actually be a must buy thanks to the fact that you can get it for like 12 bucks now.

Beowvlf

Banned
BUY
Trauma Center (disagree, should only be a consider)
Kirby Canvas Curse (good choice)
Advance Wars DS (solid choice, but a bit too similar to the GBA titles)
Tetris DS (big time disagree, multiplayer is worthy of a consider at best)
Pheonix Wright (sorta disagree, but still a decent choice)
Mario Kart DS (Personally dislike it, but I agree on it's inclusion)
Bomberman (A consider at the very best)

CONSIDER
Yoshi Touch & Go (Definite skip; game is trash)
Rub Rabbits (Fun for less than 5 minutes; another skip)
New Super Mario Bros. (WTF? Easy buy on this one. Very poor choice)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Solid choice)
Metroid Prime: Hunters (Solid choice)

SKIP
WarioWare Touched (Good call)
Nintendogs (Great call)
Super Princess Peach (Nah, this is a consider for sure; great for girls and casuals)
Worms: Open Warfare (Yup, it's crap)

Huge mistake on not including Meteos BTW. Tied with NSMB for the best game on the system.

Belfast

Not as interesting once you realize Kawashima has about 4 reactions. :p You do crappy, yeah he's gonna tell you your tired. It's only natural for you to do worse if you're not at your peak. I think I gave Brain Training about a week-and-a-half (playing only the few minutes a day ascribed to the software). Didn't even unlock the last two or three activities...

Jiggy

I want to hate your (Modojo's) list because it puts Peach in the Skip category, but I can't because it shills for Advance Wars.

Papi said:
Does DS have any decent RPGs right now?
Mario and Luigi 2.
Also Castlevania if that counts.

Other than that, hold out for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Final Fantsay III, possibly Tales of the Tempest, possibly Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, possibly Children of Mana, and possibly ASH. Load up on GBA RPGs in the meanwhile.

Jiggy37 said:
Mario and Luigi 2.
Also Castlevania if that counts.

Other than that, hold out for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Final Fantsay III, possibly Tales of the Tempest, possibly Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, possibly Children of Mana, and possibly ASH. Load up on GBA RPGs in the meanwhile.

Lost Magic is a pretty good RPG, too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Papi said:
Does DS have any decent RPGs right now?

Yeah, the ones that go in the GBA slot :lol

On an unrelated note, Brain Training should be a consider. Millions of Japanese can't be wrong!

Top Bottom