• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1995-1997 born Gaffers, wtf are we generation wise

Kino_

'97 here, we're the millennials of the millennials. The not-so-90s kids. Our early childhood consisted of Newgrounds, fucking around on the PS2 GTAs, addictinggames.com, and more of the wonders of the pre-YT era.

We grew up with the internet before the smartphone era, so we're basically the middle child. No one will really give a shit about us until 5-10 years from now imo

'97 here, we're the millennials of the millennials. The not-so-90s kids. Our early childhood consisted of Newgrounds, fucking around on the PS2 GTAs, addictinggames.com, and more of the wonders of the pre-YT era.

We grew up with the internet before the smartphone era, so we're basically the middle child. No one will really give a shit about us until 5-10 years from now imo

spot on. damn

Neptonic

fuck, that's us

You're like everyone else born in the waning years between one gen and the next. The bridge.

Being born in the cusp between one generarion and the next is awesome. You get it both ways. I was 1984 so either the last or gen X or first millenials depending on who is defining.

Frimaire

Oh fuck, addictinggames...

Goddamn my ass is triggered after reading this. All the memories suddenly come flooding back to me now.

daTRUballin

Haha I was born in 1997 and I've always wondered what I am too. :p

Although I have absolutely no memories of 9/11 whatsoever and I was 4 when it happened. Though I'm not exactly sure why some people think it's crazy how you can remember something from when you were 6 years old. I still have memories of stuff from as early as 2000 and possibly even earlier!

EDIT: Funnily enough, despite being born in the late 90's and growing up in the 2000's, my childhood was like something straight out of the 90's. I didn't have any of the newer systems at the time and grew up with stuff like the SNES and N64 which were already old systems even at the time. The first time I got a newer console was the PS3 for my 13th birthday as late as 2010 and the first time I truly discovered and started browsing the Internet was in 2009 at 12 years old.

I mostly just used GameFAQs as my primary forum source of gaming news and discussion until I discovered GAF in 2012. Ever since then, GAF has been the primary forum I use and I haven't (or barely) looked back since. It's always interesting looking back and seeing how much things have changed over the years.

Komatsu

If you're post-95, you are definitively beyond the "Millenial" threshold. Strauss and Howe, the scholars who coined the term, initially used it to describe the cohort that crested with the soaring demographic boom of the mid-80s to the mid-90s. Generations are supposed to last 15 to 20 years, so 1981-1995 is a good rule of thumb.

I am a millennial and the fact that some of you describe the PS2 GTAs as part of fond childhood memories is rather jarring to me. I was in college when the PS3 came out and was most definitively a teen when GTA 3 came out for the PS2, one with three consoles under my belt.

Stop worrying about not being a millennial - we're not a particularly great generation. Growing up in the Clinton years only to be punched in the face with the Great Recession upon entering the job market wasn't a great experience.

In fact, it tracks quite closely with the experience of the Baby Boomers - growing up in a prosperous country, coming of age in a time of general crisis and political polarization. I have a low opinion of the boomers as a cohort and I don't think we will be a generation our children will remember fondly.

Maengun1

My favorite definition of the millennial generation is that it starts with people who graduated high school in 2000 and ends with people who were born in 2000.

Doc_Drop

I'm pretty sure anyone claiming to remember stuff when they were 2-5 are remembering the aftershocks or reverberations of the experiences and are helped by family retelling events.

9/11 for example - the event was retold and recounted after the fact. Though it being such a strong image may have left vivid memories for some sub 5 years olds. But I know when I look back to events I "remember" from that age it's the coverage after the fact that I remember. The 1990 world cup happened when I was 5, I don't remember it actually happening, I remember watching videos of it over and over which made me feel like I remember it happening at the time. Having been born in 85 I promise you I can't remember anything from the 80s vividly, only hints of memories. Anything I do remember is TV or film or music that has been repeated after the fact

K' Dash

DKNuEAeUMAAsnD6.jpg

This is spot on

daTRUballin

Despite being born in '97 as well, my childhood consisted of literally none of those things lol.

I first started using the Internet in 2009. YT was already a thing long before then.

I was born in 93. I remember jack shit from the 90s but remember doing all this.

Can I join you? I'm hip and down with the streets.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
If you need to be told who you are, and why that matters, and self identify with a consumer concept, by reference to an arbitrary nebulous term, then you are Millenial.

Yours truly,

Grumpy Gen X Man

Top Bottom