• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1998 was the year of platformers, Which Platforming game from 1998 is your favorite? (Read OP)

The best platforming game from 1998?

• Total voters
1998 is often considered the year f the platformer. While there have always been top platform games every year this was the first time we got multiple quality entries of a wide variety across a single year. From cartoonish to more realistic, from vibrant to dark, from hand animated, painted, or 3D modeled, this was the most variety we've ever gotten.

It's also when a lot of the common mechanics that are in platformers 2D, especially 3D ones, were finally fine-tuned. Some of the top 3D and 2D platformers all in one year.

This will be a hard decision, but if you had to pick your favorite platformer game from 1998 what would it be?

There are many many quality platforming games games during this time, there may be some that from this year I never even played (mention it in a post below and I'll add it to the second list), let's go over a few of the more popular games:

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
crash_bandicoot_warped.jpg

Spyro the Dragon
Spyro-The-Dragon-PS1-PS2-Complete-Playstation.jpg

Banjo-Kazooie
banjokazooie_gst.jpg

Sonic Adventure
MV5BZThmMTI5MmYtNTFiNS00NmEzLWE4ZTMtMWE5MmNlMWQ2MGUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2OTk4MzI@._V1_SY400_SX400_AL_.jpg

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
oddworld_abes_exoddus.jpg

Gex: Enter the Gecko
GuofZPUD_400x400.jpg

Bomberman Hero
1988_front.jpg

Tomba!

Tomba-usa-psn-coverart.jpg

Jazz Jack Rabbit 2
jazz_jackrabbit_2_by_liaher-d4lu4pp.png

Other notable games:

• Skullmonkeys
  • MegaMan & Bass
  • Glover
  • Heart of Darkness
  • Wario Land II
  • Goemon's Great Adventure
  • Montezuma's Return
  • Space Station Silicon Valley
  • Jersey Devil
  • PitFall 3D
  • Wild 9

Belmonte

1998 wasn't the year of platformers. It was the year of almost every kind of game. Lots of classics in many genres.

Crash 3 was my jam but I can't vote because Neo member. :(

You do seem to like Polls though.

First Post made me chuckle a lot as I was expecting it somehow.

Last edited:
Hmm...I don't think I like a single platformer that came out that year.

Xenogears. Babel Tower. Oh yeah baby.

Oh dear lord. Jank platforming with a high random battle encounter rate and if you got into a random battle while standing on a ledge you'd suddenly be falling once the battle ended...Ugnn...

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I was playing basically anything but platformers in 1998. MGS, Xenogears, Saga Frontier, Parasite Eve, Einhander, StarCraft, Half-Life, and so on were what I was playing that year.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is not a hard one. Quite a few quality choices, but Banjo-Kazooie is the only all-time great in this list.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
*sigh* Ok this actually a decent poll. Your opinions are not infused in the choices. So I suppose this is a half step in the right direction. However it should be pointed out that you are literally asking folks to think back more than 20 years. I still have pole fatigue of the greatest magnitude.

Edit:
Frickin' Banjo...i don't know man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom