• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up.com has annoying pop ups!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Apologies if this is inappropriate, lock if so, just that i know people on here read 1up.

Does anyone else get that horrible winfix ad which pops up multiple times and makes one of those other pop ups where you have to click ok/cancel/x ?

This is terrible and morally wrong! No advertisers should be forcing this pain on us innocent gamers. totally unethical!

Anyway how do I block this with firefox? :D

p.s. No slight on 1up, you guys rock.

Sho Nuff

Banned
1up also does not work under Internet Explorer.

The next person to say "URR DURRR WHY DUNT U USE FIREFUX HUHUHU" gets my nads teabagging their face.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sho Nuff said:

The next person to say "URR DURRR WHY DUNT U USE FIREFUX HUHUHU" gets my nads teabagging their face.

How does it not work under IE?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
kaizoku said:
Apologies if this is inappropriate, lock if so, just that i know people on here read 1up.

Does anyone else get that horrible winfix ad which pops up multiple times and makes one of those other pop ups where you have to click ok/cancel/x ?

This is terrible and morally wrong! No advertisers should be forcing this pain on us innocent gamers. totally unethical!

Anyway how do I block this with firefox? :D

p.s. No slight on 1up, you guys rock.

Question. Do you have Firefox 1.5?

Borys

Banned
Sho Nuff said:

URR DURRR WHY DUNT U USE FIREFUX HUHUHU

L8MR

E-Nature

hmm I dont have any popups on 1up.com [firefox]

...... and I don't have any banners either [adblock+ plugin for firefox]

kaizoku

Yes Firefox 1.5

and block pop up is already enabled. This seems to be a supe duper pop up. Does no one else have this problem? Winfix my ass suckers!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
kaizoku said:
Yes Firefox 1.5

and block pop up is already enabled. This seems to be a supe duper pop up. Does no one else have this problem? Winfix my ass suckers!

I'm not familiar with Winfix.

My advice would to not be to install such things on your PC. That sort of software is usually just a waste, does little to nothing for you, can sometimes actually fuck up your machine,...

Get someone you know who knows computers well to help you. Software like this is usually going to do nothing good for you and just suck up RAM and CPU cycles.

Check out the Adblock extension for FF too. I'm not getting the pop ups you are getting, so maybe that is doing something to help. I'm not sure though.

MomoPufflet said:
who the fuck uses ie anyway

Unfortunately most still do.

kaizoku

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not familiar with Winfix.

My advice would to not be to install such things on your PC. That sort of software is usually just a waste, does little to nothing for you, can sometimes actually fuck up your machine,...

Get someone you know who knows computers well to help you. Software like this is usually going to do nothing good for you and just suck up RAM and CPU cycles.

Unfortunately most still do.

I don't think it is installed....unless it was pre-instaleld with the laptop. I was under the impresion a pop up ad was doing this. Certainly don't see the prog in my programs folder or in uninstall menu.

i get an ad telling me how I should fix my pc with winfix etc.

edit - whats more, once I click "cancel" popup, a little window stays on top of the firefox window which I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CLOSE!!

So basically its getting in my way of browsing 1up and I can't close it. Even clicking on it doesn't close it, it does however starttrying to download a file ^^

Dr_Cogent

Banned
kaizoku said:
I don't think it is installed....unless it was pre-instaleld with the laptop. I was under the impresion a pop up ad was doing this. Certainly don't see the prog in my programs folder or in uninstall menu.

i get an ad telling me how I should fix my pc with winfix etc.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I've tried and tried, but I can't reproduce your problem. Sorry.

I disabled adblock, disabled blocking pop ups in Firefox, disabled my NoScript from blocking Javascript. Maybe there is some other extension interfering. Sorry.

kaizoku

Tigerriot said:
I don't see any popups with my Mac. :D

I should add it doesn't happen everytime. But like 6 or 7 times out of 10. Also happens when I go to PSP/DS/PS2 section etc.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
This may sound nuts, but as a programmer I have seen this a lot. I can't guarantee it's going to help though.

Go uncheck the Block Popup Ads in your options and click ok. Then come back the check it and click ok. Sometimes apps will show something clicked, but for some reason, there can be a bug in the logic and the option isn't really turned on. I've seen it happen time and again.

Give it a shot at least.

kaizoku

lol i will try that, i know its on cos it just blocked one though.

Anyway thought I'd mention this as these kind of ads tend to be frowned upon by web designers as well as users.

Tiktaalik

1up badly needs some sort of option that disables every image and flash and renders the website in clean CSS.

1up is pretty much the only website I know that is so slow that it's hard to use.

kaizoku

Thanks for your help anyway guys! Maybe its something on this laptop >_>

Top Bottom