• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Out Now (Movie about esports gamers, by Kyle Newman, stars Paris Barelc, Ruby Rose, & a Chris Farley brother...)

CamHostage

Anybody watch this yet? Came out last week, was directed by Kyle Newman (director of that movie about Star Wars fans trying to steal an early copy of Ep 7 because one of them has cancer.) GAF had a topic about it a few years back when it was greenlit under different casting circumstances, otherwise I haven't heard much talk about it. Available free as part of Amazon Prime Video.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TJ641P4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The movie is about pro gamers (or rather, college esports gamers enrolled on scholarship to learn how to go pro... I guess that's a thing?), but there doesn't seem to be much entrenchment of esports on GAF so I'm not surprised that the buzz level is low on this... and I'm about 1/4 through, but I'd say the movie itself won't do much to drive your esports interest to the next level.

(And no, this isn't a movie about Shane Bettenhausen, Garnett Lee, & Sam Kennedy getting the band back together...)

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is it about girls beating boys at esports? That is what it looked like on Netflix. So a fantasy. The one all girl DOTA team lost every match.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've seen previews while binge watching The Boys but I haven't watched it yet. I say I want to watch it every time I see the preview but then I forget about it.

I'm sure this is supposed to be like a game version of Cool Runnings, but it just comes off as more girl power, "fight the establishment" garbage. eSports is also entirely uninteresting to the vast majority of people.

It's like a woke AI was modelled with twitter and gaming press article statistics during a gate-esque protest event and shat out a corporate approved clipboard wish list story and cast. WTF is this dead on arrival crapola?

What a wet noodle foot to put forward for esports into the mainstream.

Should have been a movie about the rise of esports and the GOAT -

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
jurassic park deal with it GIF

CamHostage

I've seen previews while binge watching The Boys but I haven't watched it yet. I say I want to watch it every time I see the preview but then I forget about it.

I'd personally recommend, if the impulse ever hits you again to watch it, to instead queue up video game documentary instead. There's some great docs out there about games and pinball and even of game players, whereas IMO there probably still is not a good fiction story about gamers (depending on how you count Wreck-it-Ralph 1 or Tron... and The Wizard hits a soft spot, but its gaming scenes are updog.)

eSports is also entirely uninteresting to the vast majority of people.

...And unfortunately, 1UP doesn't do much to make eSports any more sporting to the unconverted (and I'm not sure if even eSports fans would be into it?) If the characters weren't constantly shouting commands and complaints at each other, I'm not sure I'd have any idea what was actually going on in the actual game matches? It's a simple bomb-the-base type game they all play, but outside of the final assault (where every player on the team swarms, for some reason,) the map layout is left obscure and character ability sets aren't explained. The Wizard at least had an animated scoreboard showing who was winning or losing (as did the doc King of Kong,) but this movie (which is otherwise filled with superfluous graphic effects) leaves you unguided to figure out what's going on.

Last edited:

killatopak

What's wrong with her? Seems I'm out of topic and should know something.
Same.

A little bit of google-fu and the only negative thing I’ve seen were that she was part of Batwoman who unfortunately did not get well received.

Is her acting bad or something?

I "watched" it in the background while playing Monster Hunter a few days ago. If it wasn't for Netflix's Resident Evil, this movie would have been the worst videogame-related movie/show of the year. Compared to RE, this is at least directed competently (the director previously directed Fanboys, which was a mediocre but serviceable film). The writing is total amateur hour, though.

It's basically a sexist Mighty Ducks ripoff except the girls and the coach don't actually learn or teach anything; they just win in the end because girl power.

Not only is the writing amateurish, but it's also hypocritical. As an example: Ruby Rose's character is a professor, talking about videogame history early in the movie, and says something like "Lara Croft was designed with big boobs because men". She then pleads to the class to design their female characters with pants (what's wrong with shorts? It's not like Lara wears a skirt).
The trans character then yells out "or regular-sized tits!", while sitting RIGHT next to the main character:
UwuEYPs.jpg

"Regular-sized tits" btw

How can the script disparage big breasts, when the main actress herself appears as stacked as Lara Croft is? It just comes off as hypocritical to me, because large breasts are clearly a natural occurance - there's no need for this "male gaze" bullshit to explain why a character has big breasts. That kind of thinking only serves to further drive us apart. But then again, this IS a Buzzfeed Studios production, so it's no surprise that kind of messaging is in this film.

But anyway, as I said with Netflix's Resident Evil: do not follow my example. Don't give Amazon the wrong idea by watching this, even as a curiosity. I watched it so you don't have to.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do you even make playing esports exciting to watch? It's all mouse twitches and AWSD button pressing!

But if they don't have a scene like this to "play faster" I'd be sorely disappointed :p

Mr.ODST

I work in esports full time ... this is aload of shit, the american system for esports is absolutley fucked

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Apparently the main antagonist is an all boys esports team (or just known as an esports team) which are called "The Betas". Man what amazing subtle writing... you can tell its going to be great from the description alone... hard pass.

Last edited:

Shifty

If you aren't already checked out by the time the trailer thumbnail traverses your visual cortex and reaches the brain proper, seek neurological assistance.

Top Bottom