• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up PDZ Review- 9

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Honestly, I think he just gave that score to curry favor with people on the GAF.

Ryck

WOW 9up I guess, and after playing the single player last night and some live this morning I totally agree.... 9.0 imo as well

I like the sound of Che's praise for the co-op. Damn it! I want my system here now! FUCK EB, MS, all those people in line in front of me at Fry's Electronics, that line full of people at Wal-Mart, and anyone else for keeping me from next-gen goodness!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I still think playing single player story mode alone sucks balls. But dammit if co-op isn't totally fun and dark ops is currently pwning me.

This really is one of those games that's love/hate... and most unusually, this is one of those games that's both love and hate AT THE SAME TIME.

For the 1UP Show this week (all of which was shot on location from the Zero Hour party), you'll see me talking to Ken Lobb about PDZ and he had some really insightful things to say about why they designed the single-player like they did.

Prine

Banned
chespace said:
I still think playing single player story mode alone sucks balls. But dammit if co-op isn't totally fun and dark ops is currently pwning me.

This really is one of those games that's love/hate... and most unusually, this is one of those games that's both love and hate AT THE SAME TIME.

For the 1UP Show this week (all of which was shot on location from the Zero Hour party), you'll see me talking to Ken Lobb about PDZ and he had some really insightful things to say about why they designed the single-player like they did.

cant wait! Whens is it going up??

chespace

Prine said:
cant wait! Whens is it going up??

Thursday afternoon. It's also going to be a long show again. Lots to show and talk about from 360 Zero Hour.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Dark Ops!

Call this game what you want, killer ap, just another launch game, whatever.

All I know is that it was HARD to stop playing last night, and now I'm just sitting looking at the clock like a damn 8 year old waiting for recess... This game OWNS on Live.

I am super happy with the 360, day one impressions; never been more satisfied with a day one, and in this case, I spent over $1000! Couldn't be happier, and it's really easy for me to see that if there was no PD, I would still be thrilled, but it would be VERY different.

Of course, that difference would have included actually PLAYING a few of my unopened games, and getting more time on CoD, Kameo, PGR, and Madden. PDZ though has all my thoughts at the moment, and I am dying to get home, park my ass in front of Live, and play till I drop sometime really really late tonight. Tomorrow, turkey with friends, and show off the new toy:)... then MORE dark-op.

DAMN!! the sword owns. Sniping from MILES with the shockwave. Plasma fun (slow ass bullets, one hit kills:)

Back to "work"... what's the clock say now, damn, only a few minutes after the last time I checked:(

chespace

Dr_Cogent said:
I am really stumped as to how it deserves a 9 if the story mode sucks balls. It just seems out of place.

I explain so in my review actually.

Oh and BTW: are we all in agreement now that Kameo actually deserved the 7.0 that 7up.com gave it? :)

Mifune

Mehmber
Dr_Cogent said:
I am really stumped as to how it deserves a 9 if the story mode sucks balls. It just seems out of place.

The key here is SINGLE PLAYER story mode. Which is one mode out of many. Co-op rocks, and multiplayer rocks. And if you add up all the different modes and options, single player probably makes up about a tenth of it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I've found a couple of negatives about the game from reading impressions and such...

-only 15 bots MAX in any match
-no bots in dark ops
-no bot personalities (don't know why they aren't in after Ken Lobb confirmed them on GameTrailers)
-no unlockables what so ever
-some people are having trouble entering online matches of 20+ players (some connection errors, I've seen lots of complaints on this)
-aiming seems to be troubling alot of people

IJoel

chespace said:
Oh and BTW: are we all in agreement now that Kameo actually deserved the 7.0 that 7up.com gave it? :)

Almost 4 hours into it I disagree with it. Not a big deal, since I had initially commented I disagreed with that particular reviewer most times.

I'm having a LOT of fun with Kameo. I currently own PD0, PGR3, Kameo, CoD2 (unopened) and Condemned and out of the 4 I've played, Kameo is the one that has me hooked at the moment. Interestingly enough, out of the ones I've played, PD0 is the one i've liked the least (definitely haven't played it long enough to be fair.)

At the moment I'd give Kameo an 8.5, which obviously can go either way by the time I'm done with it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
chespace said:

Ok, I will read the entire review later on today.

snatches

chespace said:

Played the first 3 levels last night......FUCK YES.

But I like PD0 single player.....

B0002JZT5U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

chespace

puebla said:
so if there was no co-op or online features, what would u have given it??

The game would have gotten no higher than a 7.5 and probably would have gotten closer to a 7. The single-player level design is very old school Rare.

hellfire

chespace said:

i think it's worth 8+-ish at least. it's better than Gun or amped 3, IMO, though i do enjoy gun.

putting kameo in the same league as amped3 is a sin, methinks.

john tv

chespace said:

I haven't played the full game yet, but I downloaded the demo the other night on Live, and judging from that, I'd say you guys were being generous. :p

quetz67

Banned
chespace said:
The game would have gotten no higher than a 7.5 and probably would have gotten closer to a 7. The single-player level design is very old school Rare.
So if you rate the multiplayer a perfect 10 that means you weight multiplayer double as much as singleplayer.

Or if you rate multiplayer 'only' 9.5 (which you probably dont because Multiplayer sure is perfect in every single aspect and wont be beaten by any game this gen) that means you weight the multiplayer 4 times as much as the single player.

shpankey

not an idiot
Kameo looks like the type of game where you have to play it for a long time to really get it. Also, where you want to get in that "chill" mode where you just really kick back and take your time and have fun. I think I could get into it if I was in that certain type of gameplaying mood.

snatches

quetz67 said:
So if you rate the multiplayer a perfect 10 that means you weight multiplayer double as much as singleplayer.

Or if you rate multiplayer 'only' 9.5 (which you probably dont because Multiplayer sure is perfect in every single aspect and wont be beaten by any game this gen) that means you weight the multiplayer 4 times as much as the single player.

review = one man's opinion. you're reading too much into this.

puebla

chespace said:
ok

thanks

shpankey

not an idiot
snatches said:
review = one man's opinion. you're reading too much into this.
He reminds me of a lawyer. In this case, a lawyer against PD0. He's in every PD0 thread gathering as much data that favors his case as possible.

I love how he's now "lawyering up" that information and representing it to us, the jury, in a way that only a lawyer can do.

IJoel

quetz67 said:

dorio

Banned
quetz67 said:

Can you give it a rest already. Find somewhere to play the game.

chespace

quetz67 said:

I don't even understand what you just said, but we'll just have to agree to disagree quetz67.

dorio

Banned
chespace said:
Thursday afternoon. It's also going to be a long show again. Lots to show and talk about from 360 Zero Hour.
Any footage from the Gears of War presentation, Che? Thanks.

Top Bottom