• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show 7.14 (Aquaria, GT5:P, No More Heroes)

hauton

The hate-on for GT5:p makes me D:

Seriously, what the hell do you expect from Polyphony? They aren't Turn 10, stop trying to make them rush everything. I'd rather have no damage than joke damage.

Salazar

Expecting upcoming shows to rip the piss out of "Amphibian Man", announced for PC and PS3. I hope that is the title for all regions. I also hope it comes to 360 - nobody wins with embarrassing console exclusives.

Ynos Yrros said:
There's millions of people who love different cars, that, and GT has always been a car encyclopedia of sort. You seem to be really bitter because GT5 is turning out to be what GT1 and then GT3 have been.

Prologue is released for fans who are ready to spend the money to get into the game early, and know what to expect. Yes, for most people, being able to drive those perfectly crafted cars around amazing tracks and comparing their times is worth the price, those people will also buy the full product. They see GT5P for what it is, only to them racing those amazing cars in GT holds more value than to 1up staff, that didn't even feel like getting through the lowest class of racing and even buying a second car.

When I'm hooked on a racing gam, I can play it for hours upon hours straigh, even though I'm not an exceptional gamer when it comes to them. I could play GT1 and 2 for 12 hours straight (with eating brakes of course) as a kid, I played PGR2 for hours using GT2 on Nurburgring just to cut seconds off my time. I'm playing GT5P right now, still didn't get too the car I wish to test, but I'm hooked, if I didn't have other things to do I could be playing for hours upon hours, because the game just fel great.

To me, 49 something € I had to spend on it feels like nothing, because I'm getting so much enjoyment out of it. I don't expect someone who haven't played it to understand.

The funny thing is, all your "sincere opinions" revolve around things you don't know much about. You started by "so, did they fix that?" to "but it doesn't have...". What will you do when GT5 comes out? Seriousl man, if you're not buying the game anyways, why do you feel obliged to put it down on fronts you know nothing about?

Hi! Hi friend. It's pretty clear you are on a mission so I won't spend too much time with logic and reason, but it's quite possible that just because the footage we captured was with early cars doesn't mean that's all anyone played with! But by all means, sally forth, you've already made up your mind and anyone else you can convince gets you that much closer to heaven.

FightyF

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
There's millions of people who love different cars, that, and GT has always been a car encyclopedia of sort. You seem to be really bitter because GT5 is turning out to be what GT1 and then GT3 have been.

Prologue is released for fans who are ready to spend the money to get into the game early, and know what to expect. Yes, for most people, being able to drive those perfectly crafted cars around amazing tracks and comparing their times is worth the price, those people will also buy the full product. They see GT5P for what it is, only to them racing those amazing cars in GT holds more value than to 1up staff, that didn't even feel like getting through the lowest class of racing and even buying a second car.

When I'm hooked on a racing gam, I can play it for hours upon hours straigh, even though I'm not an exceptional gamer when it comes to them. I could play GT1 and 2 for 12 hours straight (with eating brakes of course) as a kid, I played PGR2 for hours using GT2 on Nurburgring just to cut seconds off my time. I'm playing GT5P right now, still didn't get too the car I wish to test, but I'm hooked, if I didn't have other things to do I could be playing for hours upon hours, because the game just fel great.

To me, 49 something € I had to spend on it feels like nothing, because I'm getting so much enjoyment out of it. I don't expect someone who haven't played it to understand.

The funny thing is, all your "sincere opinions" revolve around things you don't know much about. You started by "so, did they fix that?" to "but it doesn't have...". What will you do when GT5 comes out? Seriousl man, if you're not buying the game anyways, why do you feel obliged to put it down on fronts you know nothing about?

There's no need to justify your purchase. I would agree that Prologue is a bit bare bones compared to the competition, but I find the game (well, I only played the demo) to be an enjoyable experience. It's fun, what more reason is there to buy it?

At the same time, you have to recognize that the competition has set some benchmarks. It looks like GT5 will address all of those features (and more), but until then it shouldn't get a free pass. There has to be some sort of middle ground I suppose, and judging from the reactions it looks like 1Up went too hard on it. I'm going to watch the ep in 5 minutes here...

Luckyman

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
- graphics accuracy that kills anything else

GT5:p graphics don't kill anything even if we ignore all the tearing and slowdowns.

It just isn't that impressive. Forza 2 does not pale in comparison.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
The writing in that indie Ecco the Dolphin clone-thing sounds like something Shawn Elliott would read on GFW Radio.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
FabCam said:
Why are they so hating GT5:p? And why did they let someone preview it who "isn't a car fan".

its 1up, seriously. you should stop expecting anything from this crew. I just watch it for the footage and the chance to laugh at shane.

1up has been marketing burnout for months and now they used gt5:p as another chance to market burnout.

"oh burnout does this, gran turismo doesn't". its like that gerstman crap only stealthier.

still enjoy the show but don't value their opinions at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nino said:
The writing in that indie Ecco the Dolphin clone-thing sounds like something Shawn Elliott would read on GFW Radio.

It's not an Ecco the Dolphin clone.

otake said:
its 1up, seriously. you should stop expecting anything from this crew. I just watch it for the footage and the chance to laugh at shane.

1up has been marketing burnout for months and now they used gt5:p as another chance to market burnout.

"oh burnout does this, gran turismo doesn't". its like that gerstman crap only stealthier.

still enjoy the show but don't value their opinions at all.
Ya they're opinions are useless to me.

Station42

damn!...Kathleen is leaving...nooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu T_T

well, Kathleen, good luck! wii fit episode will remain in history, awesome.

byebye ;_;

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
jett said:
WTF? The game is nothing like Ecco the Dolphin.
It does. But that's ok, it's lines like 'my heart aches for answers' that should be banned from video games.

tanod

when is my burrito
todayzee said:
Fyreball is a web 2.0 link/content sharing app. We're working on many of the features, but basically we're trying to create a richer, cooler, more playful way of sharing and filtering stuff on the internet with your friends.

xxoo

Sounds a lot like Home for PCs.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Scotch said:
ruh roh, here comes sporsk!
Japanese stuff can't be crap? Is stuff like Eurotrash and Americrap bannable as well? What if I told Sp0rks I have a copy of God Hand?

Scotch

Nino said:
Japanese stuff can't be crap? Is stuff like Eurotrash and Americrap bannable as well? What if I told Sp0rks I have a copy of God Hand?
'Jap' was used a racial slur in world war 2, and most Japanese people still find it offensive. I don't think it's bannable by the way.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Scotch said:
'Jap' was used a racial slur in world war 2, and most Japanese people still find it offensive. I don't think it's bannable by the way.
Yeah but Japanese Crap doesn't have the same ring to it. I'll edit though.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Polyphony spends TONS of money on GT5. What's so wrong with releasing a prologue version to make a few bucks to help fund further development? Its certainly enough gameplay to warrant the $40 price tag, and for GT fans its most certainly worth the cash.

alisdair

The personal attacks in this thread are an embarrassment. Anyone involved, including mods who are not banning these people, ought to be ashamed of themselves.

rod furlong said:
Hi! Hi friend. It's pretty clear you are on a mission so I won't spend too much time with logic and reason, but it's quite possible that just because the footage we captured was with early cars doesn't mean that's all anyone played with! But by all means, sally forth, you've already made up your mind and anyone else you can convince gets you that much closer to heaven.
Hi there. What would I be supposed to make up my mind about? If you could find a reasonable and logical explanation as to why the guys commenting GT5P didn't mention the features and improvements that are there, and even outright spoke on the contrary, other than "they didn't know" then I'm all ears.

Saying that the only improvement is presentation just won't fly. There have been drastic changes in physics engine (working at 360-600 frames, more than competition), AI, new penalty system.

I didn't expect anyone to justify my purchase, or agree with my opinion on the game, that's why bitching about price might be justified, but I just don't like listening to BS.

There's no need to justify your purchase. I would agree that Prologue is a bit bare bones compared to the competition, but I find the game (well, I only played the demo) to be an enjoyable experience. It's fun, what more reason is there to buy it?

At the same time, you have to recognize that the competition has set some benchmarks. It looks like GT5 will address all of those features (and more), but until then it shouldn't get a free pass. There has to be some sort of middle ground I suppose, and judging from the reactions it looks like 1Up went too hard on it. I'm going to watch the ep in 5 minutes here...
What GT5P is lacking when compared to competition is online element, ammount of cars and tracks and tuning (that's big). On the other hand it offers new amazing physics system (Golf drives just like the real one), new graphics, new interface, new AI and GTR09 to race against EvoX. It has it's shortcomings, no doubt, but to not mention all those improvements, and concentrating on the flaws isn't fair, and outright lying about stuff isn't fair either.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
For the record. I think everyone is aware that the PS3 has two wracks of 256 MB Ram in the system. Garnett was speaking specifically about main system memory. However, to say that it has 512 MB available to it at all times is ridiculous. I know developers can write there own instructions for sharing between the system and video memory, but you have to take into account that the PS3 always has 100 MB of memory locked up by the OS compared to the 360 whose OS only takes up about 35 MB. I don't care who you are (I own a PS3 and am loving it BTW), but that is a substantial difference in available memory for the system. Finally the amount of available memory in addition to the inefficacy of having to author instructions for sharing memory ,IMO, negate any benefit the lower latency of XBR affords the game devs.

PLEASE, Xbots don't take what I've written as an excuse to make fun those that only own a PS3. It's ridiculous and serves absolutely no point whatsoever. Have a great weekend everyone.

lybertyboy said:
For the record. I think everyone is aware that the PS3 has two wracks of 256 MB Ram in the system. Garnett was speaking specifically about main system memory. However, to say that it has 512 MB available to it at all times is ridiculous. I know developers can write there own instructions for sharing between the system and video memory, but you have to take into account that the PS3 always has 100 MB of memory locked up by the OS compared to the 360 whose OS only takes up about 35 MB. I don't care who you are (I own a PS3 and am loving it BTW), but that is a substantial difference in available memory for the system. Finally the amount of available memory in addition to the inefficacy of having to author instructions for sharing memory ,IMO, negate any benefit the lower latency of XBR affords the game devs.

PLEASE, Xbots don't take what I've written as an excuse to make fun those that only own a PS3. It's ridiculous and serves absolutely no point whatsoever. Have a great weekend everyone.
Actually PS3 OS has been taking out 64MB when we last heard about it. Even so, when you look at games like Uncharted, RCFToD, Lair, HS and GT5P, you won't notice that.

GauntletFan said:
Posts like this make me wonder about this place. I thought it was a site for intelligent discussion about games.

288yul3.gif

BobsRevenge said:
Polyphony spends TONS of money on GT5. What's so wrong with releasing a prologue version to make a few bucks to help fund further development? Its certainly enough gameplay to warrant the $40 price tag, and for GT fans its most certainly worth the cash.

you could argue the time and resources they spent on polishing the demo, then the prologue (and gthd as well) could have been better spent on the actual game (gt5). if it wasn't for all these preview/demo/beta/whatever versions, maybe they'd be able to finish the darn thing before the end of the console life cycle.

that time translates into money. whether it's more or less than they'll make on the prologue is hard to say (they'll probably profit from it). but it surely cost them time in the development process of gt5.

i think that's what a lot of people are bitter about. we don't want a prologue version, we want the final version, but we want it asap, not 3 years from now.

SeaOfMadness said:
you could argue the time and resources they spent on polishing the demo, then the prologue (and gthd as well) could have been better spent on the actual game (gt5). if it wasn't for all these preview/demo/beta/whatever versions, maybe they'd be able to finish the darn thing before the end of the console life cycle.
GT5 has a very modular development cycle, once they've test driven the cars it takes 3 days in man hours to build one car in the game and get it rigged correctly. The whole game is modular, they can have 10 tracks, 20 tracks, 5 cars or 50 cars, online or no online- the development cycle remains the same.

There might be a slight crunch effect on shipping a Blu Ray disc, but at the moment Polyphony is mostly working on the same stuff that they will be right up until GT5 ships, it's a very content intensive game as Turn10 staff will tell you.

The nature of digital distibution allows them to work a bit more freely, they can simply upload cars, tracks and online play. By doing pre-release stuff they're not hurting the game's development, in a way they're helping it because the feedback and stress tests they can perform.

It's not like a normal game where demos have to be representative of the final product, Polyphony are over the major humps of their engine, there's tearing and frame drops to work on and the tracks aren't as polished as some would like.. but I don't think this is holding them back more than a month on GT5.

Some goods points Visualante.

I'm curious to know if those of you that have purchased GT5:p, would you have done so if online capability was not going to be added?

BobsRevenge said:
what's wrong with saying it's BOHICA and not worth money and saying it should be $20 or free and saying time should have been spent on the real game instead and saying the prologue is out but online isnt ready?

nothing's wrong with releasing it.

and nothing's wrong with criticizing it either.

Woo-Fu

Banned
First, if you think GT5P is too expensive, DO NOT BUY IT. They offer GT fans the opportunity to get some GT love instead of waiting forever and a day for GT5 and you complain about it? Cry more.

I miss John Davidson, especially whenever 1up tries to cover any driving game.

watership

hauton said:
The hate-on for GT5:p makes me D:

Seriously, what the hell do you expect from Polyphony? They aren't Turn 10, stop trying to make them rush everything. I'd rather have no damage than joke damage.

They wouldn't have to rush if they just made a game instead of doing a HD demo then a demo to prologue, then Prologue, then the game.

Woo-Fu said:
First, if you think GT5P is too expensive, DO NOT BUY IT. They offer GT fans the opportunity to get some GT love instead of waiting forever and a day for GT5 and you complain about it? Cry more.

I miss John Davidson, especially whenever 1up tries to cover any driving game.
Yes, lots of people are not buying it, and voicing their opinion on it.

It seems that many GT fans don't want to buy it and are also saying that they wish the real game was worked more on instead of diverting team members onto this.

so now that Garnett 'Mangod' Lee has come out saying the same thing, John Davison is the new next hope for a favorite son giving mindless praise to GT5P?

and what if he says the same thing, then who is next in line to carry the torch?

Escalation said:
Wow, you would this was the first time Polyphony came up with the idea of a GT Prologue game.

Wow, you would think this was the first time people complained about the idea of a Prologue game.

inner-G

Banned
Woo-Fu said:

Exactly.

I know I'd get my $50 out of it, even without online.

It was funny on the show how they bitched about Prologue not having online play day 1, only to downplay it later and say he didn't want it until GT5. I think he called the Prologue online play a Beta test.

Shit, I'm a big GT fan, I think its cool having a chance to participate in GT online early in the process.

FightyF

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Saying that the only improvement is presentation just won't fly. There have been drastic changes in physics engine (working at 360-600 frames, more than competition), AI, new penalty system.

Actually after watching it, I agree with their assessment. They actually demonstrated the whole bumper cars aspect of the "racing" with a couple of video clips, it's not being "made up" as you put it. Penalties are band-aid solution and really don't help if someone is knocked off the track and lose a few positions.

The collision physics should definitely be re-evaluated. I think it's a perfectly valid complaint. Hopefully after testing online play with Prologue, they can figure this out and adjust collision physics.

Also, improvements are one thing, but how does it compare to other games? That's what really matters in the end.

What really stuck out at me in the 1Up preview was the fact that it was $40 for Prologue, compared to $60-70 for GT5, which will have 5 times the features of Prologue. Looking at it from that perspective, GT5 is the better buy, and spending $40 for Prologue, and then $60-70 for GT5 7-8 months later isn't a viable thing for most gamers, and only for the die-hard fans of the series. (I mention $60-70 because I think PD/Sony CAN sell the game at a higher price, it offers a whole lot and IMO would be worth a higher price).

1Up was right about Prologue being a slight upgrade to GT3/4. Upgraded graphics, physics, AI, and not much beyond that. GT5 is going to be the true sequel that surpasses GT3/4 in every single way. GT5 is going to be the game that can compare to games like Forza 2. GT5 is going to be the complete racing/tuning/social experience.

I think people are confusing "hating on Gran Turismo" with "hating on Prologue" in this particular situation.

I think I've spent about $50 on Guitar Hero 3 downloadable songs (through various silly means). So even if a "prologue" for a racing game seems insane to me, I know that if I was a fan of GT I'd be all over it, so it's all relative. A game is worth what you get from it, and even if GT:5P is a bit pricey I'm sure some people will get hours and hours out of it.

FightyF said:
Actually after watching it, I agree with their assessment. They actually demonstrated the whole bumper cars aspect of the "racing" with a couple of video clips, it's not being "made up" as you put it. Penalties are band-aid solution and really don't help if someone is knocked off the track and lose a few positions.

The collision physics should definitely be re-evaluated. I think it's a perfectly valid complaint. Hopefully after testing online play with Prologue, they can figure this out and adjust collision physics.

Also, improvements are one thing, but how does it compare to other games? That's what really matters in the end.

What really stuck out at me in the 1Up preview was the fact that it was $40 for Prologue, compared to $60-70 for GT5, which will have 5 times the features of Prologue. Looking at it from that perspective, GT5 is the better buy, and spending $40 for Prologue, and then $60-70 for GT5 7-8 months later isn't a viable thing for most gamers, and only for the die-hard fans of the series. (I mention $60-70 because I think PD/Sony CAN sell the game at a higher price, it offers a whole lot and IMO would be worth a higher price).

1Up was right about Prologue being a slight upgrade to GT3/4. Upgraded graphics, physics, AI, and not much beyond that. GT5 is going to be the true sequel that surpasses GT3/4 in every single way. GT5 is going to be the game that can compare to games like Forza 2. GT5 is going to be the complete racing/tuning/social experience.

I think people are confusing "hating on Gran Turismo" with "hating on Prologue" in this particular situation.
Here we go again. Thy said that bumping into other cars is the way to play the game correctly, and that the game doesn't penalize that, which is a lie.

How does GT5P compare to other games? It has more advanced physics system which feels better to me, amazing cockpit view, it has presentation that kills everything else, it has AI that at least matches other games, and it lets me drive GTR09. It lacks 3 important features, which are online racing, car tuning and license tests. Still, what it offers is more than enough to justify the price tag, to see the excellence that can't be rivaled by anything else.

Obviously GT5 for 60$ (saying that it will cost more cause it's GT5 is laughable) is the better buy, but do you see GT5 anywhere? It's goin to be out in a year. With that logic appled, I would wait for GT6 or GT7 on next PS, or better yet GT8.

How is it a slight upgrade? It has completely redone physics, AI and presentation, how is that slight in a racing game, when it's everything that makes the game? It's GT5 Prologue, a taste of things to come, for people who are ready to shell out the money. Obviously not everyone finds fun in cutting seconds of their times, or gawking at amazing car models, I do, and seeing the sales many other people do as well.

BTW Are you FfF? Cause you sure sound like him, and I sure remember FfFs tirades in previous GT topics, now he got disproven by GT5P.

FightyF

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I think I've spent about $50 on Guitar Hero 3 downloadable songs (through various silly means). So even if a "prologue" for a racing game seems insane to me, I know that if I was a fan of GT I'd be all over it, so it's all relative. A game is worth what you get from it, and even if GT:5P is a bit pricey I'm sure some people will get hours and hours out of it.

I agree. I really want Prologue myself, I found the demo to be fun and I can see Prologue, with all the features it is lacking, to still be fun. I'm prepared to spend $100 on GT next year, and then $200 more for the G25. For me it's a worthwhile purchase.

But that doesn't really make 1Up's POV or point invalid or "hateful" towards the series, as some people here are claiming.

FightyF

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
BTW Are you FfF? Cause you sure sound like him, and I sure remember FfFs tirades in previous GT topics, now he got disproven by GT5P.

The one and only.

Disproven? I really want to hear this! *grabs popcorn*

-edit-
Damn, all I got is President's Choice popcorn. I'll have to make do with that.

Top Bottom