• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 leaked Joker clips - major spoiler + gore

sol_bad

Tell that to the critics of Knives Out. Look at their comments about why they love the movie. They love how it is a middle finger to white people of privelege. I see quotes from critics saying the movie is brave for "not even being subtle in it's attack on the MAGA crowd".

Not really the right thread but maybe you should read more than out of context cherry picked quotes, maybe read some actual reviews.
;)
The majority of reviews say that it is a comedy/thriller that pays homage to Agatha Christie like murder mysteries, it is self aware, pokes fun at the genre and "defies expectations". There is also the topic of Marta the nurse and there are jokes surrounding immigration, social satire is in line with Agatha's work as well. There are alt-right and SJW characters.

But thank you for proving my point, you are complaining about a film (or the critics praising) that is allegedly left leaning making fun of the right rather than judging it on it's on merits..

I gotta say I saw those clips and man... this is going to be my movie of the year, I feel. I got more out of those two clips than I did from entire movies this year.

pel1300

Not really the right thread but maybe you should read more than out of context cherry picked quotes, maybe read some actual reviews.
;)
The majority of reviews say that it is a comedy/thriller that pays homage to Agatha Christie like murder mysteries, it is self aware, pokes fun at the genre and "defies expectations". There is also the topic of Marta the nurse and there are jokes surrounding immigration, social satire is in line with Agatha's work as well. There are alt-right and SJW characters.

But thank you for proving my point, you are complaining about a film (or the critics praising) that is allegedly left leaning making fun of the right rather than judging it on it's on merits..
This above is a textbook example of someone who doesn't bother to try to have a conversation but just "win" on internet forums.

The above poster has no idea to what extent I looked into reviews of Knives Out but comes to the conclusion that I did not read the reviews but only "out of context" quotes that were apparently cherry picked.

And everyone - notice how I never actually judged the movie itself? But more rather commented on the way the critics talked about it?

"But thank you for proving my point" - Yeah totally the type of thing someone arguing in good faith would say.

And while you are at it tell me the correct context behind those quotes instead of resorting to the tired old "out of context talking point"

sol_bad

This above is a textbook example of someone who doesn't bother to try to have a conversation but just "win" on internet forums.

The above poster has no idea to what extent I looked into reviews of Knives Out but comes to the conclusion that I did not read the reviews but only "out of context" quotes that were apparently cherry picked.

And everyone - notice how I never actually judged the movie itself? But more rather commented on the way the critics talked about it?

"But thank you for proving my point" - Yeah totally the type of thing someone arguing in good faith would say.

And while you are at it tell me the correct context behind those quotes instead of resorting to the tired old "out of context talking point"

Again, wrong thread for this but you said yourself:
"I see quotes from critics saying the movie is brave for "not even being subtle in it's attack on the MAGA crowd". "

If you did more than read quotes from the Knives Out trailer thread, maybe you should say as much because if you say that you read quotes than yes I am going to come to the conclusion that that's all you read. I don't even understand why Knives Out was brought up in here. I had read at least 30 of the reviews for that film on RT and I already said above what the majority of critics are saying about the film. I'll add something extra that they mention, the film pokes fun at the rich and wealthy.

pel1300

Again, wrong thread for this but you said yourself:
"I see quotes from critics saying the movie is brave for "not even being subtle in it's attack on the MAGA crowd". "

If you did more than read quotes from the Knives Out trailer thread, maybe you should say as much because if you say that you read quotes than yes I am going to come to the conclusion that that's all you read. I don't even understand why Knives Out was brought up in here. I had read at least 30 of the reviews for that film on RT and I already said above what the majority of critics are saying about the film. I'll add something extra that they mention, the film pokes fun at the rich and wealthy.
Still didn't provide the context behind those comments from the critics....because most likely there is no context behind the comments that would change anything.

The critics have made it clear they have an agenda. And to pretend that that agenda isn't more biased towards the left is just ignorant. Even when I was a staunch lefty (as opposed to just being mostly left like now) I knew it.

sol_bad

Still didn't provide the context behind those comments from the critics....because most likely there is no context behind the comments that would change anything.

The critics have made it clear they have an agenda. And to pretend that that agenda isn't more biased towards the left is just ignorant. Even when I was a staunch lefty (as opposed to just being mostly left like now) I knew it.

I told you that there are alt-right and SJW characters that the movie is having fun with...

*EDIT*
If you don't understand that sentence, from what I've read of the reviews, the film pokes fun at the current political spectrum as a whole.

Last edited:
Is this a logical choice if they do another Batman villian movie?
deppriddler.jpg

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly love to see more takes on other villains from Batman's rogue gallery to a similar approach on what they are doing with Joker. I am really fascinated to see where this can go. Joker looks to be phernominal.

interesting choice of music

i think that's part of his first suit up as joker

before this is probably the scene where he's walking down his apartment hall all swagged out

and before that he's dying his hair and all that

Last edited:
Is this a logical choice if they do another Batman villian movie?
deppriddler.jpg
im not so sure about this

the only two characters widely known from the batman universe is batman himself and joker

nobody else besides maybe avid readers care about the riddler or black mask or ras al ghul or scarecrow or penguin

when you think batman or joker you immediately recognize what you might expect

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd honestly love to see more takes on other villains from Batman's rogue gallery to a similar approach on what they are doing with Joker. I am really fascinated to see where this can go. Joker looks to be phernominal.

They could do a few individual films for the different villains and then put them all together in an Arkham Asylum movie.

I've been saying for a while thay I'd welcome a Batman Cinematic Universe but fuck it, I'd happily just take a Batman villain cinematic universe.

the only two characters widely known from the batman universe is batman himself and joker

nobody else besides maybe avid readers care about the riddler or black mask or ras al ghul or scarecrow or penguin

I think Two-Face, Riddler, Penguin, Bane, Robin and Harley Quinn are all pretty popular among general audiences at the very least. Enough for standalone movies? I don't know, maybe not, but they seem to be trying it with Harley.

I think Two-Face, Riddler, Penguin, Bane, Robin and Harley Quinn are all pretty popular among general audiences at the very least. Enough for standalone movies? I don't know, maybe not, but they seem to be trying it with Harley.
TWO-FACE

okay

i think two-face could actually work almost as well as joker, didn't think of him

i'd bet that if they plan the next "elseworld's DC" movie it's gonna be him

the look, the name, it's known and it's pretty distinguished from the rest of the villains

and i mean the look by itself is huge incentive for digging into in and fleshing out in a more real-world way

womfalcs3

Banned

Batman: Arkham [Blank] series really helped push some of the obscure Batman characters into the mainstream. I love the Batman universe now, since playing those games.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
The look he throws after pulling the trigger followed by the laugh is pure insanity. I love it. The watery eyes and his voice breaking too.

Those two minutes were as intense as anything Heath Ledger done in TDK.

Last edited:
The look he throws after pulling the trigger followed by the laugh is pure insanity. I love it. The watery eyes and his voice breaking too.

Those two minutes were as intense as anything Heath Ledger done in TDK.
i'd say it was more intense

heath ledger's joker was violent too but his violence in comparison to joaquin's joker feels more along the lines of entertainment violence, it was closer to action movie violence

plus, heath ledger's joker is a bit of a mary sue because anything he plans comes true with a cool elegance (until the director wants to switch things up AKA 2 boat sequence)

joaquin's joker's assassination of murray franklin was straight out of a liveleak video and all the emotions he goes through in that sequence has a a pretty high level of honesty to it

joaquin's joker is vulnerable and makes mistakes and so when he does something terrible it's like a real-world person did that terrible thing which hits so much closer to home than anything heath ledger's joker has done

you can see in joker's eyes after he shoots murray for a second "what have i done" before looking away from murray's destroyed head

he's shaking his feet nervously and is looking around in complete anxiety

and then seconds later he looks back at murray and possibly due to his pathological illness mixed in with the anxiety he starts to laugh

Last edited:
Top Bottom