• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Muslim women ordered off American Airlines flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravidee

Not that Muslims don't face a huge issue of prejudice at airports...

... But I've experienced this stuff myself and I'm white. On my honeymoon just a month ago, I asked a passenger if he wouldn't mind switching seats with me so I could sit next to my wife - who has a phobia of flying - for the trip to Italy and be next to her.

The flight attendant stopped by, began yelling at me "SIR! You are disrupting the plane and causing a commotion! Sit down IMMEDIATELY!" I hadn't raised my voice. I was very calm. I tried to explain the situation to her and she interrupts, "I will have your removed if you don't comply!" My wife broke down in tears and I didn't want to get us both tossed off on our honeymoon, so I reluctantly took to my seat.

As the attendant walked past us, she turns to another attendant and says "You handle this one. He's a problem passenger. I can't deal with him," just loud enough for me and others to hear.

... Thankfully, my father was our pilot on the flight back. It was much more enjoyable.

But, yeah, these things happen, regardless of gender, age, religion, skin color. Doesn't excuse it, of course. I was livid about the whole thing for days (still am thinking about it).

That sounds awful. Did you file a complaint afterwards?

Hale-XF11

... But I've experienced this stuff myself and I'm white. On my honeymoon just a month ago, I asked a passenger if he wouldn't mind switching seats with me so I could sit next to my wife - who has a phobia of flying - for the trip to Italy and be next to her.

The flight attendant stopped by, began yelling at me "SIR! You are disrupting the plane and causing a commotion! Sit down IMMEDIATELY!" I hadn't raised my voice. I was very calm. I tried to explain the situation to her and she interrupts, "I will have your removed if you don't comply!" My wife broke down in tears and I didn't want to get us both tossed off on our honeymoon, so I reluctantly took to my seat.

As the attendant walked past us, she turns to another attendant and says "You handle this one. He's a problem passenger. I can't deal with him," just loud enough for me and others to hear.

... Thankfully, my father was our pilot on the flight back. It was much more enjoyable.

But, yeah, these things happen, regardless of gender, age, religion, skin color. Doesn't excuse it, of course. I was livid about the whole thing for days (still am thinking about it).

Ugh, I don't think I'd have the will to withhold a massively scathing retort after that part. That would just totally set me off the rails.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Why the hell is the cop walking around with an AR-15 with three 30 round mags on his vest ? I've never been to an airport before, so that could be just standard.

-d0hv

jerry113

Banned
Why the hell is the cop walking around with an AR-15 with three 30 round mags on his vest ? I've never been to an airport before, so that could be just standard.

-d0hv

I fly domestic in the US all the time and never seen that. I'm assuming the cops only pull out the heavy artillery when they're called in to deal with "problem" muslims such as the ones pictured above.

Garlador

What the fuck? I would have complained about her to the airline. You got Adam Sandler'd from Anger Management
We hadn't even left the runway yet either.

Ugh, I don't think I'd have the will to withhold a massively scathing retort after that part. That would just totally set me off the rails.
I had other things to worry about at the time, like my wife. Jetlag hit her extremely hard, but honestly I didn't have time to worry about it. I just needed us to get there and start our honeymoon.

And I HAVE been kicked off flights when I was a child with my father before and watched planes take off with us literally on the tarmac over very, very mundane issues, so I didn't want to risk ruining the trip before it even began.

That sounds awful. Did you file a complaint afterwards?
No, though my father worked for the company so he was able to arrange some benefits for us on the flight back (like upgrading to first class and flying us back home himself).

Which airline was it?
Should've filed a complaint after something like that.
Didn't have the time or energy. I had two-week honeymoon in a foreign country to take care of and a wife travelling out of country for the first time. By the time we got to our destination, I was already worried about other arrangements. My father helped us out though and ensured our return trip was significantly more pleasant.... even if he had to broadcast our honeymoon over the intercom to the whole plane...

Just reading this makes my blood boil. Please tell me that you filed a complaint and got that shitty attendant fired.

Jeels

Any member of any race or sex can believe in any ideology.

Are you that dense? Even if they were Sikh or Hindu or an Arab or south Asian Christian (or hekk, a westernized agnostic/athiest from that part of the world) ,they could be targeted as "Muslim" because of their race.

5 hours on the tarmac will do that to anyone. Flight attendant was probably just in a ridiculously bad mood and snapped hearing someone else complaining.

Muffdraul

Are you that dense? Even if they were Sikh or Hindu or an Arab or south Asian Christian (or hekk, a westernized agnostic/athiest from that part of the world) ,they could be targeted as "Muslim" because of their race.

They could be, and that's the result of ignorance.

But my post was in response to "Most terrorists are men, so let's stigmatise men" which is also ignorant. Terrorism is always tied to ideology.

Jeels

They could be, and that's the result of ignorance.

But my post was in response to "Most terrorists are men, so let's stigmatise men" which is also ignorant.

I think the poster was trying to make a point about how silly it is to stigmatize a group of people because of individual actions.

And terrorists are less about ideology and more about disenfranchisement and lack of economic and educational freedom.

The role of flight attendants has seemed to evolve into a service+security hybrid role. And there are always some people power-tripping in security roles.

This was most likely not racially motivated, it was coincidence that those people were removed from the plane.

OK.

After five hours on the tarmac, during which passengers were given water and pretzels, a white male passenger behind the women initiated a conversation with Ms. Khalil’s friend “about the lack of customer care,” she wrote.

*snip*

Ten minutes later, the women were told to take their belongings to the front of the aircraft, where they were informed that they were being removed because the male flight attendant “felt threatened,” Ms. Khalil wrote, quoting a customer service representative.

“However, the white male passenger my friend was speaking to was ironically not removed from the plane with us,” she wrote.

In May, an Italian economist from the University of Pennsylvania was removed from an American Airlines flight in Philadelphia after his seatmate became alarmed, thinking that the math he was scribbling on a piece of paper was Arabic, The Washington Post reported.

What is this

It was unclear whether the flight attendant heard the white male who sparked the initial conversation, moreover, it doesn't say if the white male engaged with the flight attendant directly or not, nor does it say that that white male took a picture of a flight attendant.

It seems here, that the women did considerably more than the white male did.

Two Words

I wonder how people who are so afraid would feel about this solution. Everybody on a flight will be strapped to their chairs. No meals. Your chair will act as a toilet with special seating. That way everybody is safe from everybody else and we can all feel dehumanized together.

jerry113

Banned

In May, an Italian economist from the University of Pennsylvania was removed from an American Airlines flight in Philadelphia after his seatmate became alarmed, thinking that the math he was scribbling on a piece of paper was Arabic, The Washington Post reported.

What is this

I mean, if it was Al Gebra then technically it was Arabic.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Has there even been any well known terrorist attacks caused by muslim women? Not that discriminating against muslim men is alright, but it doesn't even seem like there are any major incidents for racist pricks to point to in their discrimination of muslim women.

Kinyou

Has there even been any well known terrorist attacks caused by muslim women? Not that discriminating against muslim men is alright, but it doesn't even seem like there are any major incidents for racist pricks to point to in their discrimination of muslim women.
There were multiple involved in the hostage situation in the Moscow theatre

The airline argues that the it was the taking off the picture that crossed the line.

dakun

this sounds more like an asshole flight attendant than a racism incident.
Could of course be also part of the reason the attendant was an asshole. Looking at the picture nothing screams to me that they are muslim in particular, so i don't know how that could've played a role in it since apparently it wasn't mentioned either.

Still a shitty situation.

Hyun Sai

You guys noticed this I hope.

After five hours on the tarmac, during which passengers were given water and pretzels, a white male passenger behind the women initiated a conversation with Ms. Khalil’s friend “about the lack of customer care,” she wrote.

*snip*

Ten minutes later, the women were told to take their belongings to the front of the aircraft, where they were informed that they were being removed because the male flight attendant “felt threatened,” Ms. Khalil wrote, quoting a customer service representative.

“However, the white male passenger my friend was speaking to was ironically not removed from the plane with us,” she wrote.

Yeah, not racist at all lol.

“The attendant responded by once again threatening my friend, ‘Well, I can have you removed for instigating other passengers,’ ” the attendant said, according to Ms. Khalil.

I've seen this episode before.

30rock-matt-damon.png

Kinyou

You guys noticed this I hope.

Yeah, not racist at all lol.
It doesn't seem like the white guy was taking pictures, which according to the airline was the reason for their removal

An American Airlines spokeswoman, Alexis Aran Coello, said on Friday that the order to remove the women was in line with the airline’s “noncompliance” policy, which, in this case, was related to their being asked to stop taking the photograph of the flight attendant.

That flight attendant will probably show up in a Trump Rally in the future, talk about how he prevented a hijacking or something stupid.

But yeah, shitty people are still a plenty.

oneils

Fuck me, last time I flied a simple 40 minute flight turned into a seven hour event. Getting kicked off for complaining? What a load of bull.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

What is this

You don't remember this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215813

Something she’d seen had been her seatmate’s cryptic notes, scrawled in a script she didn’t recognize. Maybe it was code, or some foreign lettering, possibly the details of a plot to destroy the dozens of innocent lives aboard American Airlines Flight 3950. She may have felt it her duty to alert the authorities just to be safe. The curly-haired man was, the agent informed him politely, suspected of terrorism.

The curly-haired man laughed.

He laughed because those scribbles weren’t Arabic, or another foreign language, or even some special secret terrorist code. They were math. Yes, math. A differential equation, to be exact.

Dunlop

5 hours on the tarmac will do that to anyone. Flight attendant was probably just in a ridiculously bad mood and snapped hearing someone else complaining.
He caused a scene, misinformed his customers about "federal laws" to make sure his picture was deleted and cause them hardship and to miss work.

Poor cranky pants attendant, he should be suspended at the minimum

I thought there was some new rule where if a plane is stuck on a runway for more than 2 hours passengers could elect to go back to the terminal or something

being stuck in an airplane on the ground on a runway for 5 hours, that is hell

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Terrible. Racist fuckery.

But this part you bolded: "In February, a Sikh American actor, Waris Ahluwalia, was blocked from boarding a flight in Mexico City because he declined to remove his turban during a security check."

What's wrong with that? It's a security check. People have to remove their shoes and all kinds of stuff. Your religious beliefs do not exempt you from having to oblige to that if you want to get on the flight. Let the security personnel check your damn hat or stay on the ground.

I imagine it's the same if someone is wearing some other type of large hat? Seems reasonable.

Muffdraul

What is the Islam ideology that 1.6 billion subscribe to? Can you describe it?

Oh sure, let me sum up the Quran, the Hadith and the Sira for you in one message board post. I'll get right on that.

As with all religions, thankfully the majority of the followers cherry pick (as directed by their local religious leaders) and ignore tons of "problematic stuff" in the doctrine. One sect cherry picks this. One region cherry picks that. Based on various respected sources like Pew Research, saying that 25% of its followers are "hardcore" is probably a conservative estimate. That's close to 400 million people in the world who do believe and support the "problematic stuff." IMO it's nothing to sneeze at. Personally I'm thankful that the only Muslims I'll ever meet in my lifetime will (hopefully) be part of the nice 75%.

Again, I don't think this is particularly relevant to this specific case. I agree with the person who said the flight attendant was probably using "omg i'm threatened by these scary girl muslims!" Islamophobia simply to get back at them for complaining about the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom