• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

JayDub

Ashhong said:
anybody have any idea what the prices are like for a new ninja 250 in socal? i know retail is 4000 now, is there still a shitload of markup? talking to dealers is fucking useless, i cant get a straight answer

I gauge the motorcycle market by the prices these $250s go far.

Ninja 250 for 5-6k last summer = Motorcycle market BOOMIN
Ninja 250 for 4k = Economy?

check out otdmotorsports.com They give you an OTD quote online, you go to the dealer and buy it. Thats it. All prices are final and includes tax, fees..etc. No negotiating but most of the time they charge below or a couple hundred over retail.

In other news...I've been out of the loop for a while. So while we're talking about safety, anyone know about those airbag jackets? I know Dainese were working on them *last I checked*, but I dont know where the development of these are at. They seem so useful. I'd be willing to pay whatever price for it.

I see the majority of riders here in Santa Barbara with nothing more than a helmet. I don't care if I look like a dingus in full gear though--I'd rather not die. I've been wanting a bike for years and have spent a lot of that time reading up on them. In that time I've decided that I'm not going to start on anything bigger than a 250 and I'm going to wear gear when I ride. I know that for my commute (about 8 minutes, 3 miles of highway), I will probably neglect to wear my overpants every day, but I absolutely don't plan on riding without jacket, gloves, and, of course, helmet. I hope that I keep up with the pants too though... It helps that I really like this jacket though.

Also, I'd totally roll with a gaf sticker on my helmet. And even ride to a meet up (SoCal, oh yeah!).

I just shouldn't get too far ahead of myself--I won't even own a bike until next week. =P

JayDub

Flo_Evans said:
Glad to see more GAFers joining our ranks! Haven't rode anywhere of note lately. Just around town and to work a few nice days. I need to plan another trip (expedition!) into the wild. :D

This reminds me, earlier in the thread I was daydreaming about a huge GAf 2 wheel rally. IDK how realistic that is since we are all pretty spread out over the country (and the world) but how about a sticker we could make and all put on our bikes/helmets?

I kind of hate the neoGAF logo but the pokeball is prime for a 2 wheel logo treatment. Just a thought! I could work up some logos and get them printed and mail off stickers or we could do it more open source and just post the art files then you can make a t-shirt or whatever you want out of it.

Hmm, there is a bunch of local graphics shops here, I can get the stickers. I just need a design, I'll let you know what the req specs are.

How big should we get em? Clear with the logo outline, or a straight up bumper sticker? :lol

And WTF, we havent had a 2 Wheel meet up?! All the mc forums I frequent have the meetups all the time, and they're all over the place. They usually meet at the dragon tail, or here in Cali near the beach or in Florida. But Im sure we could split it up east coast/west coast.

Flo_Evans

JayDub said:
Hmm, there is a bunch of local graphics shops here, I can get the stickers. I just need a design, I'll let you know what the req specs are.

How big should we get em? Clear with the logo outline, or a straight up bumper sticker? :lol

And WTF, we havent had a 2 Wheel meet up?! All the mc forums I frequent have the meetups all the time, and they're all over the place. They usually meet at the dragon tail, or here in Cali near the beach or in Florida. But Im sure we could split it up east coast/west coast.

Well I'm not sure what it would be yet. I had the idea of doing a simple B/W euro-style country of origin sticker, kimd of like this...

350t2ly.jpg

Excuse the quick mock up but you get the idea. Then I thought it would kind of be cool to do a more 'biker club' style logo, maybe even some illustrations of the different kind of bikes we all ride all fanned out real cool. I'd probably need to get some help with the illustrations and maybe something like that would work better for a t-shirt.

IDK we could get the simple one going real fast then make cooler shit later. :D

As for the meet-up, we are a pretty small group but yeah if everyone could coordinate a trip to the dragon that would be pretty bad ass. My bike is pretty low on range and sucks on the highway though so I would need to trailer it anyplace more than 500 miles away...

daw840

Oh man, I don't know if I trust the old antique Nighthawk on a really long road trip. That and my ass will probably fall off after 8 hours.

JayDub

Flo_Evans said:
Well I'm not sure what it would be yet. I had the idea of doing a simple B/W euro-style country of origin sticker, kimd of like this...

350t2ly.jpg

Excuse the quick mock up but you get the idea. Then I thought it would kind of be cool to do a more 'biker club' style logo, maybe even some illustrations of the different kind of bikes we all ride all fanned out real cool. I'd probably need to get some help with the illustrations and maybe something like that would work better for a t-shirt.

IDK we could get the simple one going real fast then make cooler shit later. :D

As for the meet-up, we are a pretty small group but yeah if everyone could coordinate a trip to the dragon that would be pretty bad ass. My bike is pretty low on range and sucks on the highway though so I would need to trailer it anyplace more than 500 miles away...

Before we put these to the printers we have to have pre-orders, as I wont be getting a price quote unless I have number of units. Plus price breaks at whatever bulk quantity they do it at. Also, we shouldnt rush the design just so that we could get these rep stickers out. Lets finalize a design that all of 2 wheel gaf can agree on, and then off to the printers.

I do have one idea though:

-I dont think country of origin would be a great idea, as each different country need to be printed separately, not counted in initial bulk order..so no price break + more units then necessary. One unified (pun?) icon.

GAF, feel free to pitch in with design ideas/mockups. Anyone know any printers or graphics shops could get a quote also. Need to shop around :)
daw840 said:
Oh man, I don't know if I trust the old antique Nighthawk on a really long road trip. That and my ass will probably fall off after 8 hours.

What happened to those ass warmers for riders? Thought some company in china were making those..:lol

If you havent gone on a trip with your bike or attend a long distance meet up, you havent experienced the culture!

daw840

JayDub said:
GAF, feel free to pitch in with design ideas/mockups. Anyone know any printers or graphics shops could get a quote also. Need to shop around :)

We should make a thread about designing a GAF sticker. Get some input from everyone who comes to the OT, not just us select few who come to this thread.

What happened to those ass warmers for riders? Thought some company in china were making those..:lol
It's not the cold that bothers me, it's the 25 year old seat!

If you havent gone on a trip with your bike or attend a long distance meet up, you havent experienced the culture!
Does 3 hours count?!?

JayDub

daw840 said:
We should make a thread about designing a GAF sticker. Get some input from everyone who comes to the OT, not just us select few who come to this thread.

A general GAF OT sticker, or one specific to 2WG just enlisting the help of the rest OTG?

daw840 said:
It's not the cold that bothers me, it's the 25 year old seat!

I hear ya. Did you buy it new or used? Worn seat means you rode the shit out of your bike. Badge of honor :D When you replace it, be sure to keep it. Frame it!

daw840 said:
Does 3 hours count?!?

Yes.

EDIT:

My original question still stands: Any news/info on those airbag jackets?

daw840

JayDub said:
A general GAF OT sticker, or one specific to 2WG just enlisting the help of the rest OTG?

Just a simple GAF sticker would suffice I think. Then again, we could just do a 2WG sticker, but not many people would buy I don't think.

I hear ya. Did you buy it new or used? Worn seat means you rode the shit out of your bike. Badge of honor :D When you replace it, be sure to keep it. Frame it!
I bought it used from a friend of mine. I am the third owner, the bike has ~55K miles on it.

Yes.

EDIT:

My original question still stands: Any news/info on those airbag jackets?

As for the airbag jacket, that sounds awesome and scary all at the same time. Have you ever witnessed an airbag going off? It sounds like a damn shotgun. Furthermore, how would the bags trigger? I mean, in a car you have a split second from when the bumper hits something to when your body slams into the steering wheel or dashboard, that's when the bag deploys. Once your body hits something it's a little late, no?

JayDub

daw840 said:
As for the airbag jacket, that sounds awesome and scary all at the same time. Have you ever witnessed an airbag going off? It sounds like a damn shotgun. Furthermore, how would the bags trigger? I mean, in a car you have a split second from when the bumper hits something to when your body slams into the steering wheel or dashboard, that's when the bag deploys. Once your body hits something it's a little late, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

Looks like the end of broken collar bones and greatly reduce head trauma/neck injuries. I might ste it off just to go to sleep in my jacket :lol

Anyway, this was announced long ago, and I've been wondering if theres been any new developments...

Very nice, Snakes. Just try not to test it out :)

SnakeswithLasers said:
How in god's name does it know when you're crashing?

I really do not know. I've tried to figure that out, but eh. I usually give up and go find something else to do. Though searching for a moment on Google found this:

An airbag jacket designed with inflatable pockets in strategic areas that are pressurized when a wire attached to a key is pulled out during a crash.

So maybe it's similar to the way those jet ski engine cutoff systems work where you fall off and it yanks the safety key out and the engine cuts off.

Took them 10 years of development. Dainese could very well be onto something.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Heres my bike.

The 2009 black 250r, wrecked it in May. totaled. Car cut me off (some small suzuki suv). Did not have enough time to get out of the way. I hit it's tail light with my shoulder going about 40mph. Bike did a flip sideways, i slid on my back for about 10 feet and hopped on my feet and ran off the road as quick as I could to avoid any cars that may of been behind me.

250rblack.jpg

Two weeks later after insurance took care of everything. I was back on a 250r, this time red with some mods. Lowered an inch, two brothers slip on, frame sliders, fender eliminator kit. I'm learning the maintenance on my own, screw expensive dealerships. Heres the red on, sitting next to a couple big boys.

250rred.jpg

I do miss the black. But I think I'm going to paint it white and powdercoat the wheels gold to match the exhaust. That is, if I don't move to a bigger bike. But for now, I'm content with the speed and control I get with the 250r.

Sorry about the quality, the pics are from my phone.

ChanHuk

Banned
Started on an SV650SF, then moved on to my current 09 Triumph Daytona 675. I currently don't have my D675 because it's sitting at Jardine getting retrofitted with their RT-1 exhaust. Can't complain, getting a $700 exhaust for free. I think I might just sell that and my Two Bros exhaust and get one pimped out rear shock from Elka or something.

One thing for people interested in getting a motorcycle. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then it is to ride a fast bike slow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting on a USED 250. Even then, I'd take off all the fairings and what not. I also really don't know how someone can "outgrow" a 600cc supersport as well. They'll hang with liter bikes up to about 90-100mph, thats when the extra hp kicks in from the 1000cc club. You going that fast on the streets is just crazy.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
it's raining like crazy here - i fucking almost cleared myself up today - moving across a lane on the scoot simply to avoid a large bump in the road, crossed a white painted line on the approach to the freeway, i feel the wheels slipping out to the left from under me.

bike starts wobbling like crazy as i try to get control and a few seconds later i'm fine (after shitting myself that i was gonna die and end up under the cars a few metres behind me). all good but reminds me how careful you have to be on two wheels. anyway, had the whoel freeway + bridge ahead of me so i caned it :p

ChanHuk

Banned
julls said:
it's raining like crazy here - i fucking almost cleared myself up today - moving across a lane on the scoot simply to avoid a large bump in the road, crossed a white painted line on the approach to the freeway, i feel the wheels slipping out to the left from under me.

bike starts wobbling like crazy as i try to get control and a few seconds later i'm fine (after shitting myself that i was gonna die and end up under the cars a few metres behind me). all good but reminds me how careful you have to be on two wheels. anyway, had the whoel freeway + bridge ahead of me so i caned it :p

You take those things for granted in a car. On two wheels though, paint is extremely slippery and especially those bumps.

Ollie Pooch

ChanHuk said:
You take those things for granted in a car. On two wheels though, paint is extremely slippery and especially those bumps.

yeah - think i got a bit complacent. reminds me : don't fuck with painted lines on the road :p

I went to the Carlisle Bike Fest today in PA. PA not requiring helmets, there were quite a few stupid fuckers out in their sunglasses. I had a pretty good time overall. I did a demo ride on a Kawasaki ER-6n, which has a 650 parallel twin. It's a fun little bike to ride.

One bike there (not part of the show, just an attendee's bike) really impressed me to take a picture. Some bikes were just plain stupid looking, but this one was epic.

watermelon_bike.jpg

It looks like a watermelon :lol

ChanHuk said:
Started on an SV650SF, then moved on to my current 09 Triumph Daytona 675. I currently don't have my D675 because it's sitting at Jardine getting retrofitted with their RT-1 exhaust. Can't complain, getting a $700 exhaust for free. I think I might just sell that and my Two Bros exhaust and get one pimped out rear shock from Elka or something.

One thing for people interested in getting a motorcycle. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then it is to ride a fast bike slow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting on a USED 250. Even then, I'd take off all the fairings and what not. I also really don't know how someone can "outgrow" a 600cc supersport as well. They'll hang with liter bikes up to about 90-100mph, thats when the extra hp kicks in from the 1000cc club. You going that fast on the streets is just crazy.

Very nice, the Daytona is a sweet ride. The engine makes a nice howl.

No doubt that I could go just as fast on a middleweight on the backroads as on my 1000. However, it is considerably easier to ride a 1000 in the twisties and stay quick. Middleweights need to be kept up high in the rev range, so more downshifting (or just riding in 2nd and 3rd gear) is required. This became apparent to me when I was riding my K7 GSX-R750 with a friend. I was on some empty twisty country backroads with him. He was on his '06 RC51, a 1000 V-twin. From riding with him in the past, I knew in a straight line my 750 could take his bike. As I was following him on this amazing road, something became apparent to me. His twin had so much more pull that that thing fucking demolished the corners! As we were going through the turns I'd enter in at around the same speed, braking at the same spot and all. However as I'd try to follow him through the turn, he'd put some distance through the corner and into the straight. This continued on for a few more turns until eventually he disappeared around the next corner. Determined to catch him, I clicked down into 2nd and gunned it. I was riding at around 9 grand and up. Next thing I knew I he started reappearing on the straights and I eventually caught him. Fast forward past the GSX-R's death and arriving at my R1. I had done little to no riding (since I didn't own a bike) for a few months and I was still getting used to my bike. We went on another great ride (long one, too). Through the corners I had to actually slow up because the engine made the task feel effortless. Compared to the two middleweights I've owned I like my R1's pull off the bottom and low/mid range grunt out of the corners a lot more.

Still, you're right. There's no way a non-racer could outgrow a 600. I wasn't going to sell my 750 or anything, I was content with wringing it out when the situation called for it. It was just taken from me :(

Bad_Boy said:
5 foot 8. About 155lbs.

Unless you have less than, say, a 28" inseam, why lower it?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
thesoapster said:
Unless you have less than, say, a 28" inseam, why lower it?
Well I bought the bike lowered. It actually is more comfortable even though I'm plenty tall enough for stock height (I rode my black one bone stock just fine). The bike still handles like a dream so losing handling was not a problem.

ChanHuk

Banned
thesoapster said:
Very nice, the Daytona is a sweet ride. The engine makes a nice howl.

No doubt that I could go just as fast on a middleweight on the backroads as on my 1000. However, it is considerably easier to ride a 1000 in the twisties and stay quick. Middleweights need to be kept up high in the rev range, so more downshifting (or just riding in 2nd and 3rd gear) is required. This became apparent to me when I was riding my K7 GSX-R750 with a friend. I was on some empty twisty country backroads with him. He was on his '06 RC51, a 1000 V-twin. From riding with him in the past, I knew in a straight line my 750 could take his bike. As I was following him on this amazing road, something became apparent to me. His twin had so much more pull that that thing fucking demolished the corners! As we were going through the turns I'd enter in at around the same speed, braking at the same spot and all. However as I'd try to follow him through the turn, he'd put some distance through the corner and into the straight. This continued on for a few more turns until eventually he disappeared around the next corner. Determined to catch him, I clicked down into 2nd and gunned it. I was riding at around 9 grand and up. Next thing I knew I he started reappearing on the straights and I eventually caught him. Fast forward past the GSX-R's death and arriving at my R1. I had done little to no riding (since I didn't own a bike) for a few months and I was still getting used to my bike. We went on another great ride (long one, too). Through the corners I had to actually slow up because the engine made the task feel effortless. Compared to the two middleweights I've owned I like my R1's pull off the bottom and low/mid range grunt out of the corners a lot more.

Still, you're right. There's no way a non-racer could outgrow a 600. I wasn't going to sell my 750 or anything, I was content with wringing it out when the situation called for it. It was just taken from me :(

You bring up the point that it just takes more skill to ride a middleweight fast and inherently what blows about the I4 (Which doesn't include your crossplane R1), they just blow in the low-midrange powerband.

ChanHuk

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Well I bought the bike lowered. It actually is more comfortable even though I'm plenty tall enough for stock height (I rode my black one bone stock just fine). The bike still handles like a dream so losing handling was not a problem.

I'm the same height as you and the D675 has the tallest seat height and have no problem with just leaning the bike over on 1 foot or being on the balls of my feet. I say if you're comfortable with doing that to raise it back up to stock height.

Scarecrow

julls said:

Rain hit me one the way to work yesterday. All was fine and dry until I was half way there on the interstate when I saw the wall of water coming straight at me. I was soaking by the time I got to work.

Passed basic rider training today! The first day was tough--slow speed maneuvering is a bitch, the second day was a lot more fun.

The absolute shit thing is that I just found out that I'm taking a 5% paycut at work (hooray for working for a CA University). That 5% was going to cover my bike payments (I have about a grand saved up for a down, and would finance the rest) and hopefully some insurance; I now have to seriously reconsider how feasible it is for me to buy a bike.

So the same economy that has graced me with plenty of 250s in the shop, has made it hard to justify paying for it. =/

But I did just spend $400 on a jacket, gloves and pants...I mean...I can't just send it back, y'know?

ChanHuk said:
You bring up the point that it just takes more skill to ride a middleweight fast and inherently what blows about the I4 (Which doesn't include your crossplane R1), they just blow in the low-midrange powerband.

I was originally going to get a twin sportbike, but I couldn't find one that felt practical to me. Duke Superbikes are kinda brutal ergos-wise, are $$$, $$$ to maintain. They are unique and cool, though. The KTM RC8 had my mouth watering. Until you have seen one up close it's hard to appreciate the art of that design. It's quite stunning to look at. I had my hopes up for that thing when I heard it was less than the 1098 in EU. However, it was being sold for around $20k here and you had to reserve the damn thing. I had not even seen one in person at that time. That and getting parts for that bike would've been horrid as it simply had a poor launch in the U.S. (and it's a KTM anyway). The SV1000S was kinda bleh to me. The Aprilia RSV1000R did not have the performance for its weight and the closest true Aprilia dealer is about 2.5 hours away. The 09 R1's engine down low and in the mid reminds me of a sporty twin, but up higher it seems to go back to that more I4 rush feeling. It's a blast :)

Speaking of mid-range, I've heard so many rave that the Daytona's triple has a nice bit of grunt way before a traditional i4's power kicks in. I'd love to ride one someday. It was my dream bike for quite some time.

ChanHuk said:
I'm the same height as you and the D675 has the tallest seat height and have no problem with just leaning the bike over on 1 foot or being on the balls of my feet. I say if you're comfortable with doing that to raise it back up to stock height.

Have you sat on a current-gen R6? Not only are they very aggressive, but the seat height is way up high.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
100_5248.jpg

Guys. I think I'm in love. GSX-R 600 K6, Alstare replica. I just picked it up from the seller yesterday, but I won't be able to ride it again for another week or so due to finals. Throttle response, suspension and handling are the snappiest/tightest I've ever felt on a bike. Unfortunately, I didn't even have time to take my own pictures, this is the seller's. I can't wait for this week to be over with. :D

Oh my God. That bike is HOT!

Love it. The K6/K7 GSX-R 600/750 are great (I had a K7 750).

Please get an equally awesome, crazy helmet to go with it :D (and post pics)

Glubags

Banned
Oh, wow.

This is exactly the thread I was looking/hoping for.

I'm off work now, so I've gotta make the quick ride home, but I'll be back with pictures of mine. :D

Going to take the MSF beginner rider course this September hopefully and then decide on a bike based on what's available in the used market. I have my fingers crossed for an '08 ninja 250. I really dig the overhaul.

My partner just returned from a 3 week bike trek across the country.

Chicago to Paducah, KY to Lexington, KY to Deals Gap, TN for the Dragon's Tail run to Macon, AL to Daytona Beach, FL to Tallahassee, FL. Then from there 300 miles to Birminghom, GA then another 300 miles in the same day back to Paducah, KY for the Little Surgis Rally.

Crazy!

He posted his Dragon's Tail run here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qCMOL5p9Q

Ghostmate

Neo Member
thesoapster said:
Oh my God. That bike is HOT!

Love it. The K6/K7 GSX-R 600/750 are great (I had a K7 750).

Please get an equally awesome, crazy helmet to go with it :D (and post pics)

The only thing I could pick at was that the GP shifting took a little time to get down, but after that first couple of minutes it was second nature. I can't wait to drop a knee on this beast and see how the shifting fares. :D I was thinking about the 750 also because some of the 600s have anemic low end power off the line, but this deal was too good to pass. Was the 750 a happy medium between your R1 and other 600s?

Glubags

Banned
All right, here we go. Bought this brand new 2 months ago; already have 1800+ miles on it... been absolutely riding the hell out of it as it's my only form of transportation at the moment. It's also my first street bike. I'd only spent any substantial time on a dirtbike beforehand, though that was more than enough to have the basics engrained, as I was used to this bike in less than 5 minutes. Grew up riding BMX, so motorcycles seemed like the natural progression, but instead I found myself very heavily into cars. Had my motorcycle license for 4 years before buying this thing. All my friends had bikes, but I just never jumped for one. Now that my S2000 is upstate under the knife, I figured it's as good a time as any to finally get a bike.

ninja250tb2.jpg

It's an '09 Ninja 250R. I see a few of you own one as well. :D My friends all told me to get a bigger bike, but I'm 100% happy with this as my choice for a starter. I've been in some hairy situations, and it has been forgiving enough to get me out of them with the shiny side up. I'm more than certain that if I'd been on a 600cc supersport, I'd have gone down.

Mods so far: rear fender gone, full Two Brothers VALE M-2 exhaust, rear seat cowl on the way... and I've had a K&N filter and jet kit waiting until I have more free time to install them.

The TB full exhaust sounds fucking GREAT.

The bike is pretty wimpy when it comes to power of course, but it's got more than enough oomph for me for now. My only real complaint is the slim tire widths. I'm kinda beginning to wish I had a bit more rubber under me. I'm wearing the stock tires down right to the edges... hard to trust them for more aggressive cornering.

Can't wait for an open track day... hopefully we'll have one nearby soon.

I love finally having a bike... absolutely love it. :D

Bad_Boy said:
The 2009 black 250r, wrecked it in May. totaled. Car cut me off (some small suzuki suv). Did not have enough time to get out of the way. I hit it's tail light with my shoulder going about 40mph. Bike did a flip sideways, i slid on my back for about 10 feet and hopped on my feet and ran off the road as quick as I could to avoid any cars that may of been behind me.

Damn, I hate reading stuff like this, because you know it could happen to you at any time.  *knocks on wood*

Ghostmate said:
The only thing I could pick at was that the GP shifting took a little time to get down, but after that first couple of minutes it was second nature. I can't wait to drop a knee on this beast and see how the shifting fares. :D I was thinking about the 750 also because some of the 600s have anemic low end power off the line, but this deal was too good to pass. Was the 750 a happy medium between your R1 and other 600s?

The 750 is really not all that much faster than the 600. They're both relatively weak below 8 grand. The 750 has a decent bit more top end. It is nicer to ride than a 600, but if you can get a better deal on the 6, I'd take it (plus that color scheme is irresistible).

So, the 750 isn't really much of a medium because its power band is strong and weak in more or less the same spots as a 600. That's why I like my R1; it's strong just about everywhere.

Ashhong

hm, how does one go about lowering the height of a ninja 250? when i got mine the dealer said there was no way to do it and i never bothered to look further online.

as it is right now i can just almost almost stand flat with both feet. its not hard to lean over and balance on one foot but im a pretty skinny guy and would be a lot more comfortable if i was able to stand with both feet.

daw840

Ashhong said:
hm, how does one go about lowering the height of a ninja 250? when i got mine the dealer said there was no way to do it and i never bothered to look further online.

as it is right now i can just almost almost stand flat with both feet. its not hard to lean over and balance on one foot but im a pretty skinny guy and would be a lot more comfortable if i was able to stand with both feet.

Sometimes a custom seat from Corbin or Mustang (or any seat maker) will lower the seated height just a bit. Also, there are companies that will shave some foam off the stock seat to put you down a little.

Damaged

Ashhong said:

Im not sure how its works on the kwak but I know you can get different length linkages to connect the bottom of the rear shock to the chassis which will change the rear ride hight on most bikes. Obviously this will alter the handling though.

garath

Ashhong said:

If you are that close, just shave the seat. You can remove some of the foam and get about half an inch off the height just from that. Lowering the bike will mess with the geometry and you would be better off keeping it normal.

pyrealnova said:
Going to take the MSF beginner rider course this September hopefully and then decide on a bike based on what's available in the used market. I have my fingers crossed for an '08 ninja 250. I really dig the overhaul.

Good luck man, those are really tough to come by, at least in my experience--be prepared to snap it up quick if you see one.

I've just been trolling craigslist, cycle trader and the local auto-trade magazine since I passed the MSF course. Every day that passes I break down just a little bit more though and am that much closer to walking into a dealership and picking up an 09.

Glubags

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Every day that passes I break down just a little bit more though and am that much closer to walking into a dealership and picking up an 09.
Do it... I browsed used listings forever and couldn't make up my mind... went to the local Kawasaki dealer and sat on an '09... that was all it took. You won't regret it... it's a stellar first bike.

Ollie Pooch

some asswipe knocked/kicked my GP1 over today in the carpark after work - big dent on one side whre its been kicked/hit and the other side, all the panels are cracked, and the mirrors are bent. its a closed carpark so i doubt anyone knocked it with a car.

FUCK, i hate people. so much.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Good luck man, those are really tough to come by, at least in my experience--be prepared to snap it up quick if you see one.

I've just been trolling craigslist, cycle trader and the local auto-trade magazine since I passed the MSF course. Every day that passes I break down just a little bit more though and am that much closer to walking into a dealership and picking up an 09.

Thanks! I've been searching Craiglist, Ebay, and Cycle Trader like a fiend the past couple weeks. Surprisingly, I've seen a fair amount of new(ish) ninjette's and GS500f's. I plan on hitting up the local dealer this weekend to sit on a few and get a feel for what fits me. Anyone have experience with Camrod in NYC??

Also, I know the 250/500cc class is preferred for beginners, but is the 650 twin class completely out of the picture. I have a feeling I'm going to sit on the Ninja 650r and fall in love. (5'10ish, 135lbs).

No, I would not say the 650 parallel twin is completely out of reach for a new rider. If you take and pass the MSF course (so you have the basics down) and don't rush yourself I think you'd be OK. I've ridden the '09 Ninja 650R and ER-6n (both 650 parallel twins). Compared to the other bikes I've ridden (mostly supersport) they're plush and easy to ride. However, learning to ride on the road and being able to operate the bike in a parking lot are two different things.

Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with starting on a 250. If staying small and buying new I would say the 250R is a great bike. If/when you want to move up in size you'll have zero problems reselling it, and you should be able to get a good return.

thesoapster said:
No, I would not say the 650 parallel twin is completely out of reach for a new rider. If you take and pass the MSF course (so you have the basics down) and don't rush yourself I think you'd be OK. I've ridden the '09 Ninja 650R and ER-6n (both 650 parallel twins). Compared to the other bikes I've ridden (mostly supersport) they're plush and easy to ride. However, learning to ride on the road and being able to operate the bike in a parking lot are two different things.

Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with starting on a 250. If staying small and buying new I would say the 250R is a great bike. If/when you want to move up in size you'll have zero problems reselling it, and you should be able to get a good return.

Thanks for the insight. I think my biggest hesitation with the 250 right now is highway riding. I've read reviews and opinions that mention its lightweight contributing to getting blown across lanes.

kylej

Banned
Ghostmate said:
100_5248.jpg

Guys. I think I'm in love. GSX-R 600 K6, Alstare replica. I just picked it up from the seller yesterday, but I won't be able to ride it again for another week or so due to finals. Throttle response, suspension and handling are the snappiest/tightest I've ever felt on a bike. Unfortunately, I didn't even have time to take my own pictures, this is the seller's. I can't wait for this week to be over with. :D

Good choice on the 600, that thing is a real trackslut. Wish I had the money for a custom tailored leather suit right now. Next year I'll buy something bigger and hit the track more.

Top Bottom