• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

A Shoei Neotec. This one:

3d2b375585ee683096decwvkkh.jpg

I do like the helmet, just yeah, bit heavy. 1650 gram versus I think 1350 of my old helmet. Also Shoei.

Flo_Evans

Helmet before my current one I had for 10 years. The old one still comes in handy sometimes. I do notice the extra weight of the new one, which is one of those flip-up helmets. I like being able to ride open face around town, but the extra weight... not sure if the next one I'll buy will be of the flip up variety as well. Perhaps if they've managed to keep the weight down some more.

I forget where I saw this, but something like 75% of impacts on rider helmets are in the chin area. Kind of put me off the flip up ones.

edit:

Zx8HgvH.gif

this is what I was thinking of... not sure whats up with the percentages but its safe to say "most" impacts are in the chin area.

Yeah, to be honest, I feel a bit apprehensive / guilty when I have the front part up. It's very nice to feel a bit more 'outside', but it might not be worth it, no. Might be a good reason to go conventional full face next time round, then I won't be tempted.

Dougald

A Shoei Neotec. This one:

I do like the helmet, just yeah, bit heavy. 1650 gram versus I think 1350 of my old helmet. Also Shoei.

That was also on my list as I have a shoei right now. I wish Arai did a flip, I found my old Chaser just a bit more comfortable, if less well-equipped than my GT Air

I forget where I saw this, but something like 75% of impacts on rider helmets are in the chin area. Kind of put me off the flip up ones.

The UK governments SHARP testing site lists the percentage of impacts where a flip helmet remained fully-locked. From what I've seen there, it's one case where paying extra really helps. Some of the cheap flip up lids only stay locked 1/3 of the time! I shudder to think how the £30 modular helmet I saw at Lidl last year would fare...

Edit: lol, that diagram shows how protected those Harley riders with their tiny skull cap helmets are...

The UK governments SHARP testing site lists the percentage of impacts where a flip helmet remained fully-locked. From what I've seen there, it's one case where paying extra really helps. Some of the cheap flip up lids only stay locked 1/3 of the time! I shudder to think how the £30 modular helmet I saw at Lidl last year would fare...

Yeah, one of my buddies was convinced that all of the extra money I paid for my helmet was just marketing nonsense as all of them have to pass safety tests anyway. Needless to say, I did not agree.

Dougald

Yeah, one of my buddies was convinced that all of the extra money I paid for my helmet was just marketing nonsense as all of them have to pass safety tests anyway. Needless to say, I did not agree.

For a full-face there is 'some' credence to that argument, but the pricier helmets are a thousand times more comfortable

For the flip-ups, you're trusting your face to a locking mechanism that cost only a few pence/cents. I'll spend the extra money thanks!

For open face, wear whatever you want lol

Personally, I wouldnt want to test your friends theory. Ive been a pretty staunch Shoei guy for a while but might mix it up with the Bell Star for my next lid. Those seem pretty sweet.

Flo_Evans

Modular helmets are not SNELL tested/approved either.

Can of worms but I'll go with more certifications than less if I can...

Stevey

I've seen some of my friends helmets who have had big crashes and I wouldn't entertain the idea of a flip up helmet.

Dougald

Any concern about the internal visor on the GT Air in a crash? I believe Snell didn't test that helmet either though I might be mistaken.

I did have some. Shoei claim that the visor is outside the main shell and therefore it's safer than regular helmets with a visor, so I don't worry about it.

Snell won't test any helmet with an internal visor, so that would be why. It's ECE certified which is good enough for me

Oh man...

Co-worker has a 2006 R6 (not R6S) in Anniversary Yellow/White that he's finally ready to sell. I've seen it a few times, and it's clean - he's original owner, just had the fork seals replaced, never dropped. I trust him when he says he's taken care of it through all ~12k miles. Has brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso front and back. He said he's looking for $3750 for it; he has a newborn now and doesn't have the time to ride, and he doesn't feel like listing it online unless he can't sell it to someone he knows.

Looking at KBB and NADA average retail, this looks like a good deal. But if I get this, I won't have the money for the 2017 R6 which is what I want (at least $12k probably).

I would like the ABS of the 17, but the price of the 06 is tempting, and since I've known the owner for a few years now, I trust the history. I'd have to drop $450 immediately for a GPR damper, so figure $4200?

I'm going to look at it tonight after work and will upload pictures.

Thoughts?

Oh man...

Co-worker has a 2006 R6 (not R6S) in Anniversary Yellow/White that he's finally ready to sell. I've seen it a few times, and it's clean - he's original owner, just had the forks rebuilt, never dropped. I trust him when he says he's taken care of it through all ~12k miles. Has brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso front and back. He said he's looking for $3750 for it; he has a newborn now and doesn't have the time to ride, and he doesn't feel like listing it online unless he can't sell it to someone he knows.

Looking at KBB and NADA average retail, this looks like a good deal. But if I get this, I won't have the money for the 2017 R6 which is what I want (at least $12k probably).

I would like the ABS of the 17, but the price of the 06 is tempting, and since I've known the owner for a few years now, I trust the history. I'd have to drop $450 immediately for a GPR damper, so figure $4200?

I'm going to look at it tonight after work and will upload pictures.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a rare opportunity. The 2017 R6 is obviously a beautiful looking bike. But that 2006 one is very pretty as well. Especially in that color combo. Low mileage and well treated, you know the owner... I'd probably go for that and save 8 grand. (Unless you really, really want all those kick-ass driver aids the new bike has).

Sounds like a rare opportunity. The 2017 R6 is obviously a beautiful looking bike. But that 2006 one is very pretty as well. Especially in that color combo. Low mileage and well treated, you know the owner... I'd probably go for that and save 8 grand. (Unless you really, really want all those kick-ass driver aids the new bike has).

hahaha no offense but you were affirming me going to the 06 until that last line!

Being off of a bike for 2 years, ABS is the main thing that I have no issue justifying. The other aids would be nice though.

Coming from an 08 Honda 600RR, the slipper clutch of the R6 will be nice, regardless.

Maybe I pull the trigger on the 06 and sell it next year to get a 17 leftover or 18?

Hehe, yeah I edited that line in there.

Problem with new bikes is that, as soon as you drive that thing off the lot, you've lost 2 grand right there. And more of them soon follow. I'd say: don't buy new bikes unless you're either absolutely swimming in money or are positive that you'll want to hang on to that bike for years to come.

As for driver aids, I would definitely have ABS on my Buells if I could, but it's not an option, so yeah. Trying my darnedest to avoid situations where you need ABS :p

If you really want that new bike down the line, buying that '06 bike now and trading it in or selling it and putting the money towards a leftover bike is probably a much better idea. You'll save a lot of money and you can find out how badly you need that new bike over the '06 bike. Maybe the answer is you don't really need it after all. That anniversary R6 presents an interesting opportunity, while those newer bikes will still be there if you really want them.

Dougald

A coworker of mine had that same bike (though not in that cool colour combo). Great machine, you couldn't do wrong. Really it just comes down to budget, IMO.

As for ABS, I like the security it provides, but I've actually never triggered it. Though I did once put a LOT of rubber down on the road locking the rear wheel in my non-abs Bonneville, heh

OraleeWey

I've been out and about and I found some new roads! Nothing too technical. It's all smooth sailing fun. Some easy twisties. I'll be visit em again for sure.

Also, I took my GoPro out again after a long time. I had another close call with another driver. Maybe I should keep it at home since it seems to bring bad luck any time I'm recording. If you guys want I can upload the footage later.

Still had lots of fun though. Damn, I just love my bike. I don't regret my purchase decision.

UMGAWA

Thoughts?

For the price the 06 is a mighty fine deal, its practically brand new!
As for the damper, is it really necessary?

For the price the 06 is a mighty fine deal, its practically brand new!
As for the damper, is it really necessary?

Previous bikes were an 02 Honda F4i (no damper), 99 Ninja ZX-6R (no damper), then an 08 Honda 600RR with HESD.

I only ever tracked the F4i without damper and the 600RR with damper, and the difference in confidence and smoothness was night and day.

I'm looking to do 3-4 track weekends per year and street duty, so I wouldn't go without one.

Watevaman

I've been out and about and I found some new roads! Nothing too technical. It's all smooth sailing fun. Some easy twisties. I'll be visit em again for sure.

Also, I took my GoPro out again after a long time. I had another close call with another driver. Maybe I should keep it at home since it seems to bring bad luck any time I'm recording. If you guys want I can upload the footage later.

Still had lots of fun though. Damn, I just love my bike. I don't regret my purchase decision.

Keep it on at all times in Nova. So many uninsured drivers.

Dougald

Glad to know you're loving the bike!

Dougald

ABS and Battlax Tyres? Looks really well equipped and practical compared to the regular 300 sportbikes.

I am a fan of the matt black and white logo too, it looks quite classy. That snowflake decal is cool too

We visited the marina today

That's a funky tailpack you've got there - is that standard?

nico1982

Any concern about the internal visor on the GT Air in a crash? I believe Snell didn't test that helmet either though I might be mistaken.
The mechanism does definately allow more energy to transfer to the head, probably due to the thinner padding at the side. That combined with the narrow width does not help, I guess. Still, 3 SHARP stars is not a bad rating.

That said, it is my main helmet and it is awesome. Plush and quiet, and I wear it without the ear pads. The liner quality is excellent and still quite decent after 3 years (about 60K km).
The only downside, albeit a minor one, is that the ventilation is not as good as it seems, especially on the face: the single port on the chin push all of the intake air onto the visor.

The X-Lite 702 is similar and is a 5 stars helmet for SHARP.

OraleeWey

Strongly considering selling my PCX150 and upgrading to a Ninja 300 Winter Test edition. I love the PCX as it's super easy and practical, but the Ninja WT is sooooo sexy IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M3G6h9W3NU&t
That's a great looking bike. That guy reviewing the bike, Albert, he really has a way of selling bikes doesn't he? I really like his reviews.

ABS and Battlax Tyres? Looks really well equipped and practical compared to the regular 300 sportbikes.

I am a fan of the matt black and white logo too, it looks quite classy. That snowflake decal is cool too

That's a funky tailpack you've got there - is that standard?
Yeah, those Ninja bikes can be very well equipped.

The bag I've got on my bike I had to buy myself. It serves me well. Only thing is that it's got no lock. Just a simple zipper. It's this one if you're wondering. Not sure if you're thinking about buying one for your bike but IMO side bags/panniers would be better. With how tall my bike is plus with the bag, I can't get my leg over the bike at all. I have to climb on the left foot peg and then throw my right leg over. Minor inconvenience though, at least it allows me to carry items and some fuel.

So looked at the 2006 Anniversary Yellow R6 last night...

Found out there are 2 (!!) 2006 Anniversary Yellow R6 owners in my building and I mixed them up. They park on different sides of the building, and the one I see most days is perfect, but I don't know the owner of that one. The one I looked at last night had the 12k miles, but the owner did drop it once on each side (different instances). The engine covers were clear, but the upper right cowl is scraped, both lower fairings scratched and scraped, original chain and sprockets looked great for ~12k miles, still the fresh Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires, and the fresh fork seals/oil. He replaced the clutch lever with a CRG adjustable, but the front brake lever is still bent out from the drop on the right side. Both mirrors are scratched as well. Tail is clear of scratches, and exhaust is also clear (stock exhaust).

Forgot to take pictures because I was so surprised when I was talking to the owner, and couldn't believe there were two of them. He's still looking for $3750 for

Overall the bike is still solid and starts right up, but with it being the 06 Anniversary with scratched fairings, I really want them to be clean. The scrapes are noticeable. It seems hard to find those exact replacement fairings on Bike Bandit, and it would cost around $600 for the 3 replacement pieces. Buying a chinese fairing kit from eBay is not an option - tried one out on my 600RR and the fitment was awful and horrible.

I'm now torn more than ever.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to go for the 2017 bike. It's not worth 3750 after having gone through all that.

Another bonus is that the rest of us get to marvel at the many pictures you're going to share of that beautiful MY17 R6.

I was so surprised when he told me that, they are literally identical, except the one last night had a clean fender eliminator on it, and the one I always see parked by me still has the stock rear fender.

I still have time to search before the 17 R6 comes out, so let's see if I can find anything else!

This 07 R6 is near me, might go check it out (are we allowed to post these links?)

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5957953554.html

Would change out those gaudy grips and the heel guards asap, and I love the color.

I was so surprised when he told me that, they are literally identical, except the one last night had a clean fender eliminator on it, and the one I always see parked by me still has the stock rear fender.

I still have time to search before the 17 R6 comes out, so let's see if I can find anything else!

This 07 R6 is near me, might go check it out (are we allowed to post these links?)

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5957953554.html

Would change out those gaudy grips and the heel guards asap, and I love the color.

Exhaust on that bike alone is worth a fortune. Though yeah, definitely 86 those heel guards :D.

Yeah I just want to check to make sure it has the Akra headers - alot of people try to pull a fast one and say that it's a full exhaust when it's just slip-on. Akra sounds soooo good, only second behind my dream 848 with a full Termi : D

Dougald

Yech, that bike is a prime example of why you should always keep the stock parts (except the exhaust of course). You'll always get more money for something that's as close to stock as possible. Nice and cheap to swap out just the grips/guards though. Bet you could get both of those for 1/3 of the price of my carbon fibre keyguard
sob

Oh, and I agree with the sentiment to drop the Anniversary R6. When you're buying a limited edition, you want those fairings to be perfect/near-perfect, not scuffed up.

The bag I've got on my bike I had to buy myself. It serves me well. Only thing is that it's got no lock. Just a simple zipper. It's this one if you're wondering. Not sure if you're thinking about buying one for your bike but IMO side bags/panniers would be better. With how tall my bike is plus with the bag, I can't get my leg over the bike at all. I have to climb on the left foot peg and then throw my right leg over. Minor inconvenience though, at least it allows me to carry items and some fuel.

I was thinking of getting one of the Kriega tailpacks for a bike holiday. I agree panniers are better, but go google the cost of Ducati panniers for my bike (about a thousand pounds!) to see why I'm not bothering

Yeah I just want to check to make sure it has the Akra headers - alot of people try to pull a fast one and say that it's a full exhaust when it's just slip-on. Akra sounds soooo good, only second behind my dream 848 with a full Termi : D

If you're thinking about spending money on a new R6, a lightly used 848 should be well within range, right? (Even the stock cans on an 848 sound great by the way.)

If you're thinking about spending money on a new R6, a lightly used 848 should be well within range, right? (Even the stock cans on an 848 sound great by the way.)

Unfortunately, there aren't many lightly used 848s around me. The only one that is, has been on the market for quite a few months and the guy won't budge on the price (not a bad price). It's just more than I want to spend for a Euro bike that I know nothing about, and the nearest dealer/service shop for European bikes is over an hour away.

Behold - my dream - http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5970559567.html

Maybe I'm crazy, but I just feel much better paying a bit extra for the Yamaha?

Unfortunately, there aren't many lightly used 848s around me. The only one that is, has been on the market for quite a few months and the guy won't budge on the price (not a bad price). It's just more than I want to spend for a Euro bike that I know nothing about, and the nearest dealer/service shop for European bikes is over an hour away.

Just go straight to the 1098. Ive been kicking around the idea of selling mine for around $7k, its got about 13.5k miles on it....but I live in California.

Dougald

A friend of mine had nothing but praise for his 848, apart from practicality (duh), and how much replacing the clutch cost him. Used it for both road and track riding.

With Termi pipes they sound *nasty*. But then every Ducati sounds great with them.

For a new bike with a warranty and everything? No, I would probably do the same. I underestimated how much those 848s are still worth I guess. At least in the States. They seem to be going for less here in The Netherlands, starting at 7,5k, reasonable mileage.

OraleeWey

I was thinking of getting one of the Kriega tailpacks for a bike holiday. I agree panniers are better, but go google the cost of Ducati panniers for my bike (about a thousand pounds!) to see why I'm not bothering

Yikes, that's a lot of money for some
panniers, definitely. I looked into those Kriega tailbags you posted and I gotta say, they're pretty cool. I like the fact they're modular. Then on my recommended videos I saw this video. Some side bags for my KLR I didn't know existed. I'm going to have to get some now. If I didn't already have a tank bag, I would probably have gotten some Kriega bags instead. They take a little less space that my future set up.

OraleeWey

So I asked two cops who were parked near a church if they'd pull me over for my modulating brake light. They said that they wouldn't as long as it stays solid. So I guess I don't have to worry about it too much. I know they aren't the judge but still... I was also recording so I have it on video.

Wolfe

Yeah I really wouldn't worry about it, a brief second or less rapid flash followed by a solid isn't likely on any cops radar.

Watevaman

Supposed to be 50+F on Saturday and nearly 70F (21C) on Sunday. I ordered a front brake rebuild kit yesterday that should be here by the weekend along with a brake piston puller to get them fully apart. So, if I can get the whole brake system overhauled (SS lines front + back, new rear pads) and a new rear tire put on during the day on Saturday, I'll take the bike out for the first time in three months on Sunday. Crossing my fingers it all goes smoothly.

Scotch

Meanwhile, it's lightly snowing in the Netherlands again. :( Not that it matters, can't get to my bike atm because it's at Fallout's and he's in the Alps.

The withdrawal symptoms are starting to hit.

Top Bottom