• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Holy shit! Glad you're alright. Don't give up hope. The emergency braking portion got me the first time (my practice I thought was good since they said it was, but apparently not enough for the test) and so I had to re-take. It sounds like the bike began doing something unexpected that you maybe had not felt before (the quick takeoff) and then you had a bit of a panic moment. That's hard to deal with because you're still brand new, and it will last for a while even when you're licensed (for some it never goes away). I'm speaking of the ability to not relax. Most will say to be safe you always have to be on edge. This is partially true. You should always be alert and scanning with your eyeballs. However, I've found being and feeling in control of the bike allows much greater relaxation and the ability to shift your focus to the road. Like I said, you're brand new. No one can just know the bike starting out. I'm a bit shocked like you that they have it right next to a main road. Just glad you're safe, ultimately. Hope that rash isn't too deep and heals quickly and cleanly.

CFMOORE!

thesoapster said:
Holy shit! Glad you're alright. Don't give up hope. The emergency braking portion got me the first time (my practice I thought was good since they said it was, but apparently not enough for the test) and so I had to re-take. It sounds like the bike began doing something unexpected that you maybe had not felt before (the quick takeoff) and then you had a bit of a panic moment. That's hard to deal with because you're still brand new, and it will last for a while even when you're licensed (for some it never goes away). I'm speaking of the ability to not relax. Most will say to be safe you always have to be on edge. This is partially true. You should always be alert and scanning with your eyeballs. However, I've found being and feeling in control of the bike allows much greater relaxation and the ability to shift your focus to the road. Like I said, you're brand new. No one can just know the bike starting out. I'm a bit shocked like you that they have it right next to a main road. Just glad you're safe, ultimately. Hope that rash isn't too deep and heals quickly and cleanly.

thanks! yeah, I wasn't so shook up when it happened (which surprised me) but when I got right back on to press forward, I could tell, and the instructors too, that I was a bit more frazzled than I thought. It didn't help that the replacement bike had a different quality about its clutch that I wanted to get used to but they couldn't slow the class down for me to get that time in.

Everyone who I told about the accident wants me to quit right there and take this as a sign that I shouldn't ride. I am not sure where I land on it though, my interest is still high and I really did want to get right back on yesterday and press onward. I saw it as an error made on my part, like you said, the bike did something unexpected even while under my "control".

I am sore as fuck today though, my left hip hurts like a bitch and the rash is stinging from the stuff I've put on it. I play the incident back in my head a lot but I try not to think about it and only think about getting back on and taming these things. When it was going good I was really enjoying the whole ride and idea of being in control and riding a motorcycle. I wasn't too thrilled with the cruiser type bike I had though. It's not a position I'd ride in as I have no intentions of buying something like that.

I do want to maybe buy something really lame like a 125cc that is somewhat in a cafe race/Thruxton position that I can "learn" on while I recover and get more used to riding. I'd seriously drop the cash on something like that while I take time to finish up the class. I know I have what it takes to control it, I just need more time.

Oh, and I see the need for proper gear. The helmet definitely saved me from major injury and possible death yesterday, but boots, a jacket and pants would have pretty much meant no injury.

Well on the bright side, you now know the importance of gear lol.

You could always look at the Ninja 250 once your out of the class to learn and get comfortable on motorcycles with, then move up from there.

daw840

CFMOORE! said:
thanks! yeah, I wasn't so shook up when it happened (which surprised me) but when I got right back on to press forward, I could tell, and the instructors too, that I was a bit more frazzled than I thought. It didn't help that the replacement bike had a different quality about its clutch that I wanted to get used to but they couldn't slow the class down for me to get that time in.

Everyone who I told about the accident wants me to quit right there and take this as a sign that I shouldn't ride. I am not sure where I land on it though, my interest is still high and I really did want to get right back on yesterday and press onward. I saw it as an error made on my part, like you said, the bike did something unexpected even while under my "control".

I am sore as fuck today though, my left hip hurts like a bitch and the rash is stinging from the stuff I've put on it. I play the incident back in my head a lot but I try not to think about it and only think about getting back on and taming these things. When it was going good I was really enjoying the whole ride and idea of being in control and riding a motorcycle. I wasn't too thrilled with the cruiser type bike I had though. It's not a position I'd ride in as I have no intentions of buying something like that.

I do want to maybe buy something really lame like a 125cc that is somewhat in a cafe race/Thruxton position that I can "learn" on while I recover and get more used to riding. I'd seriously drop the cash on something like that while I take time to finish up the class. I know I have what it takes to control it, I just need more time.

Oh, and I see the need for proper gear. The helmet definitely saved me from major injury and possible death yesterday, but boots, a jacket and pants would have pretty much meant no injury.

My wife got done with the MSF, came home to her brand new V-Star 650, rode for 2 hours, and then proceeded to eat it all over the road at about 20-25 MPH. As soon as the bike was healed (she still wasn't) she jumped right back on and kept going. It's her favorite thing to do now. Don't let a little incident scare you off it.

CFMOORE!

daw840 said:
My wife got done with the MSF, came home to her brand new V-Star 650, rode for 2 hours, and then proceeded to eat it all over the road at about 20-25 MPH. As soon as the bike was healed (she still wasn't) she jumped right back on and kept going. It's her favorite thing to do now. Don't let a little incident scare you off it.

i am fairly certain i won't let it affect me. I hope your wife was okay and didn't get hurt too badly.

East Lake

CFMOORE! said:
A lot of people hear motorcycle horror stories and make up their mind from that. Once they see you and realize you don't zip around like a madman with a only a helmet, wife beater, and shorts they'll warm up to it.

I kinda want a beater bike too even though I have a new one. :)

CFMOORE!

i was toying with the notion of making an offer on this:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcd/2598563772.html

as something simply to putt around my neighborhood on in an attempt to get more familiar with riding as I warm more up to it after the accident. I figure I can talk the price down a few hundred bucks and have something kind of neat that I can maybe give to my brother since he has expressed interest in learning (thought i haven't told him about the accident).

Thoughts? As I mentioned before, I want a Thruxton ultimately and I've liked the cafe racer style since before it became a big movement. Yes, I just went kind of hipster with that quote, but it's true. Seems like they're all the rage now and I've liked the smaller simple nature of them for quite awhile, though admittedly, I didn't know the term "cafe racer" till maybe about 4 years ago.

CFMOORE! said:
i was toying with the notion of making an offer on this:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcd/2598563772.html

as something simply to putt around my neighborhood on in an attempt to get more familiar with riding as I warm more up to it after the accident. I figure I can talk the price down a few hundred bucks and have something kind of neat that I can maybe give to my brother since he has expressed interest in learning (thought i haven't told him about the accident).

Thoughts? As I mentioned before, I want a Thruxton ultimately and I've liked the cafe racer style since before it became a big movement. Yes, I just went kind of hipster with that quote, but it's true. Seems like they're all the rage now and I've liked the smaller simple nature of them for quite awhile, though admittedly, I didn't know the term "cafe racer" till maybe about 4 years ago.

Well, if safety is a priority, you might want to consider something a little younger since motorcycles truly have come a long way since 1982. Brakes and tires are light years better now than the stuff on that classic honda.

Still, a bike with a cafe racer look that falls into that category is likely to be more expensive.

Apart from that, don't be afraid of bigger displacements, a 5 or 600cc 2 cilinder won't kill you (once you've mastered all the subtleties or riding ;) ) and they often don't have the ridiculous power of something like an S1000RR or an R1. They do however have the brakes, suspension, and rubber that belongs on a proper bike (which is important if you ask me).

Fallout-NL said:
Well, if safety is a priority, you might want to consider something a little younger since motorcycles truly have come a long way since 1982. Brakes and tires are light years better now than the stuff on that classic honda.

Still, a bike with a cafe racer look that falls into that category is likely to be more expensive.

Apart from that, don't be afraid of bigger displacements, a 5 or 600cc 2 cilinder won't kill you (once you've mastered all the subtleties or riding ;) ) and they often don't have the ridiculous power of something like an S1000RR or an R1. They do however have the brakes, suspension, and rubber that belongs on a proper bike (which is important if you ask me).

Truth right here. The motorcycle I rode in MSF was a POS old Nighthawk with shitty ass brakes. Hydraulic disc setups, fuel injection, suspension...all that stuff is nice. More updated bikes are arguably easier to ride, too, not just easier to live with.

Muddimar

thesoapster said:
Truth right here. The motorcycle I rode in MSF was a POS old Nighthawk with shitty ass brakes. Hydraulic disc setups, fuel injection, suspension...all that stuff is nice. More updated bikes are arguably easier to ride, too, not just easier to live with.

I had to use a shithawk also...Oh boy...poor throttle response, brakes were slow to grip, sounds like we used the same bike haha.

Muddimar said:
I had to use a shithawk also...Oh boy...poor throttle response, brakes were slow to grip, sounds like we used the same bike haha.

Mine had irregular braking, kept dying, had jerky as shit throttle (worse than the others). So when I came back to redo the test I found out that bike had been decommissioned hahaha. The one I passed on (flying colors btw!) was so much better. Still a horrible bike for me. I'm not that tall - 5'11 with 31" or so inseam. I swear that bike was so cramped it felt like my knees were hitting my elbows. The instructors kept asking me why I'm putting my leg out in turns. It wasn't because I was trying to be a racer or something...I pretty much had to! :p

Amagon

Sup Bike-Gaf! Can anybody recommend me good (used) cafe racer style bikes. My price range is up to two grand and doesn't need to have alot of CCs. Just looking for a bike that I can practice on. Already have my licence and took the MSF course back in the Spring.

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Sup Bike-Gaf! Can anybody recommend me good (used) cafe racer style bikes. My price range is up to two grand and doesn't need to have alot of CCs. Just looking for a bike that I can practice on. Already have my licence and took the MSF course back in the Spring.

Ehm, so affordable ones:

Yamaha XS650
Honda CB500 or CB750

Sometimes these don't look as cool when they're stock, so you might want to look for one that has had some modifications done.

Triumph Bonneville or Norton Commando type bikes are more expensive than the 2grand you're looking to spend.

OK, trying to get as much help as possible, so I'm reposting this question I posted today about bug stains on leather.

Before I get going, I have searched and I see many use Lexol cleaner and conditioner, saddle soap, etc. I have been trying the Lexol and now have tried saddle soap. I'm getting a bit worried. It doesn't seem to matter that I've cleaned the bugs off immediately after each ride. They leave behind a mustard yellow mark, and now the white on the jacket is showing all sorts of dots. I have ridden in it maybe 5 times now and it looks like absolute shit. I also tried using the polish cleaner in my Spidi leather cleaning kit. My Spidi kangaroo jacket (which had white on it in the same area) did stain a little but nothing like this...and it took a great deal of time for it to start looking worse.

6192986485_a2a4117f44_b.jpg

Worse, the saddle soap seems to have left a bit of a yellow tinge on the white that does not seem to come off. Any way to get this off? I'm freaking out a bit here. I just ****ing bought this thing. I know white is harder to keep looking good, but goddamn my suit and past jacket still look pretty good and I've been able to clean them. I have seen some used the Pledge wipes...worth a shot?

Haven't cleaned my leathers in years. I wear the bugs like a badge of honor, makes you look like a man.

Honestly Soapster, don't worry about the bugs, it just goes with the territory. Pristine white and highways don't really mix. If it keeps you up at night though, maybe contact the manufacturer? Could be that they're skimping on leather or dye quality or whatever and the fault is theirs.

entremet

So a friend is recommending a scooter--Vespa--instead of a Ninja 250 since I'm a pure beginner. Good idea? I live in a big city so a Vespa would be handy me thinks, while getting comfortable with riding.

daw840

No, I wouldn't recommend it. I feel like it will teach you bad habits. Plus it's just a twist and go type of situation. You need to get muscle memory down with the clutch and brakes.

daw840 said:
No, I wouldn't recommend it. I feel like it will teach you bad habits. Plus it's just a twist and go type of situation. You need to get muscle memory down with the clutch and brakes.
Yeh, I would agree. Scooters just aren't really the same.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
entrement said:
So a friend is recommending a scooter--Vespa--instead of a Ninja 250 since I'm a pure beginner. Good idea? I live in a big city so a Vespa would be handy me thinks, while getting comfortable with riding.

bah check out a honda cbr250 they are pretty cheap for a good bike, good reviews from what i've seen. And ABS option .

Dougald

Hey 2-Wheel GAF, I've been semi-following this thread for a while and thought I'd jump in with my experiences.

I've always loved classic style bikes and in March I jumped in and got my Direct Access license. To be honest I was always going to start small with a little 500 commuter like the GSX500 similar to what I had learnt on for a few years, but ended up trying out a Bonneville and loved it! Spent a little (okay a lot) more than my budget but I've loved every second of it, the bike is a dream to ride and I've had no problems cruising around the countryside or riding through town on my way to work. I'd say it's actually a pretty great first bike (if you've had tuition on a larger bike first) - it's fairly heavy, but so effortless to turn..

J4RsT.jpg

Just a pity that the last few days have made it all too apparent that winter is on its way..

Dougald said:
Hey 2-Wheel GAF, I've been semi-following this thread for a while and thought I'd jump in with my experiences.

I've always loved classic style bikes and in March I jumped in and got my Direct Access license. To be honest I was always going to start small with a little 500 commuter like the GSX500 similar to what I had learnt on for a few years, but ended up trying out a Bonneville and loved it! Spent a little (okay a lot) more than my budget but I've loved every second of it, the bike is a dream to ride and I've had no problems cruising around the countryside or riding through town on my way to work. I'd say it's actually a pretty great first bike (if you've had tuition on a larger bike first) - it's fairly heavy, but so effortless to turn..

J4RsT.jpg

Just a pity that the last few days have made it all too apparent that winter is on its way..
My god man......I was just out with my friend today who just passed his MSF course and has been itching to get a bike. We were out looking at several dealerships and he was wanting to test drive something and it ended up being that exact bike in your picture.

The dealer dude asked him how long he's been riding and my friend told him he just passed his course but he's been on his girlfriend's dad's Harley before. So the guy says, "Normally I'm pretty apprehensive about letting new riders test drive things," but my friend insisted that he knew what he was doing.

Lo and behold, I see him coming back from his test ride and for some reason the headlight is angled like 45 degrees to the left. Dude ended up panicking during a turn and dropped it. I don't even know how he got the bike back afterwards.....the gearshift lever was broke off and the key broke off while inside the ignition.

Sucks so much for him. He has some nasty road rash and now has to pay for all the damage (no motorcycle insurance yet). Luckily the dealer guy was pretty nice about it and they worked out some deal where he would sell the bike to him at cost and they would just do the necessary repairs to make the bike street legal again. What a fucking day. His girlfriend is going to kill him.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
My god man......I was just out with my friend today who just passed his MSF course and has been itching to get a bike. We were out looking at several dealerships and he was wanting to test drive something and it ended up being that exact bike in your picture.

The dealer dude asked him how long he's been riding and my friend told him he just passed his course but he's been on his girlfriend's dad's Harley before. So the guy says, "Normally I'm pretty apprehensive about letting new riders test drive things," but my friend insisted that he knew what he was doing.

Lo and behold, I see him coming back from his test ride and for some reason the headlight is angled like 45 degrees to the left. Dude ended up panicking during a turn and dropped it. I don't even know how he got the bike back afterwards.....the gearshift lever was broke off and the key broke off while inside the ignition.

Sucks so much for him. He has some nasty road rash and now has to pay for all the damage (no motorcycle insurance yet). Luckily the dealer guy was pretty nice about it and they worked out some deal where he would sell the bike to him at cost and they would just do the necessary repairs to make the bike street legal again. What a fucking day. His girlfriend is going to kill him.

Since he's not seriously injured....you should mock him repeatedly for this. lol.

RapidCancel said:
This. That was pretty smart thinking of him to forcefully buy himself a bike when he was on the edge about it.
Haha, yeah he really didnt have the money for it, especially this bike, so I kind of feel bad for him. I was giving him shit that he was going to finish the day buying a bike because he would ride one and then not be able to go another day without having his own. Never expected it to go down like this though.

After he worked out the deal at the dealer, we went back to the corner where he crashed and found the broken off key and gear shifter for him to keep as souvenirs.

Mighty

Went for a ride into the city a couple weeks back and parked next to some sweet, sweet bikes. Mine's the baby 250 on the end. :) I've been riding for almost a year now and am looking to upgrade to either a Yamaha FZ6R, Ninja 650R, or Suzuki GSX650f as soon as one becomes available (gonna buy used). Or maaaaybe a BMW 650GS if the price is right.

ReedF.jpg

PBmu8.jpg

Rf2BV.jpg

Mighty

doitlive said:
I miss my baby ninja and riding.
and Mighty, change those stock tires when you can. The difference is staggering.

Any suggestions what to change to? I've been considering it for a while now... the tires currently on there are starting to show light cracks along the sides due to weather/age I'm guessing.

I do get out on the twisties somewhat regularly (bit of a weekend warrior, but I do commute every day to work through the city). I don't have anything to compare to since this is my first bike, but I'd love to test out a new set of tires to see if I can notice the difference.

Mighty

Ahhh yeah, I forgot about the ninja250 wiki. That thing is gold.

I've actually done a decent amount of highway riding on the 250 and most of the time I don't mind it. Some days are exceptionally windy, but once I learned to relax and always wear earplugs, the ride can be quite peaceful. The only thing that sucks is the poor little engine has to run at 10-11k rpm just to go with the flow of traffic. It probably helps that I'm only 5'8" and 155lbs.

If you're commuting, I'd advise against the BMW650. It doesn't have a BMW engine, but a Rotax engine. If you're using it to do a little off-roading you won't be bothered by it. But when I test drove the F800R (same exact engine) it literally shook my hands to sleep at commuting speeds (maybe due to it being a parallel twin instead of a v/l/boxer twin. Not a whole lot of power either.

Go with the Yamaha.

Or an older BMW GS(1100?) adventure.

And if your tires are so old they're actually showing cracks, it's a great idea to change them. Bridgestone's will do you fine. Or Pirelli.

Dougald

Dahellisdat said:

Damn, sounds really nasty! What does the MSF course involve? I have to say I never had a single problem controlling my Bonneville in the last 6 months, but I found it a lot easier to ride than the 500cc bike I rode during my DAS course, which is weird because I only tried it out on the advice of my instructor. I swear the Triumph could turn on a penny.

Dougald said:
Damn, sounds really nasty! What does the MSF course involve? I have to say I never had a single problem controlling my Bonneville in the last 6 months, but I found it a lot easier to ride than the 500cc bike I rode during my DAS course, which is weird because I only tried it out on the advice of my instructor. I swear the Triumph could turn on a penny.
Oh I believe you man. I just think this guy thought he was on an entirely different level of experience than he actually was. I mean for the most part, the only experience he had on a bike was in the MSF course which he finished like 3 weeks ago and hadn't been riding since. I can speak well of Triumph nonetheless. I tried a Harley out earlier in the day and then a Thunderbird out at the Triumph dealer. Pretty sure that Thunderbird is going to be my next bike. Soooooooo smooth compared to the Harley. Thing was vibrating like a motherfucker and just didnt have the finesse that the Thunderbird did.

MSF course, by the way, is mostly just doing different types of drills. Stopping drills, throttle control, swerving, riding on curves, etc. and its all done in an empty parking lot. Its definitely a worthwhile thing to do, but I don't think it entirely prepares you to take a bigger bike out into actual city traffic for the first time without doing some other type of practice or preparation on your own.

Dougald

Dahellisdat said:
Oh I believe you man. I just think this guy thought he was on an entirely different level of experience than he actually was. I mean for the most part, the only experience he had on a bike was in the MSF course which he finished like 3 weeks ago and hadn't been riding since. I can speak well of Triumph nonetheless. I tried a Harley out earlier in the day and then a Thunderbird out at the Triumph dealer. Pretty sure that Thunderbird is going to be my next bike. Soooooooo smooth compared to the Harley. Thing was vibrating like a motherfucker and just didnt have the finesse that the Thunderbird did.

MSF course, by the way, is mostly just doing different types of drills. Stopping drills, throttle control, swerving, riding on curves, etc. and its all done in an empty parking lot. Its definitely a worthwhile thing to do, but I don't think it entirely prepares you to take a bigger bike out into actual city traffic for the first time without doing some other type of practice or preparation on your own.

Ah right, MSF sounds like the CBT we have in the UK, but that only qualifies you to ride up to 125cc.

I've always loved Harley's, but they're just not practical (or affordable) for this country. Though I do think the Triumph Rocket is an incredible bike, but I would never own one just because I don't think I could handle it! I'd love a Thunderbird, but my current plan is to ride the Bonneville for a few years, then pick up something completely different. The main problem I'm finding with Bike ownership is that my garage looks so empty - the number of decent bikes I see for under £1000 makes me want to waste my money on filling it up!

Dahellisdat said:
I tried a Harley out earlier in the day and then a Thunderbird out at the Triumph dealer. Pretty sure that Thunderbird is going to be my next bike. Soooooooo smooth compared to the Harley. Thing was vibrating like a motherfucker and just didnt have the finesse that the Thunderbird did.

I'm pretty sure that makes you un-American.

daw840

Fallout-NL said:
You ride a Harley for different reasons though.

Handling comes last on the list of its priorities.

That explains why every HD rider had to "just put her down" at least once!

daw840 said:
That explains why every HD rider had to "just put her down" at least once!

:lol

That's just because riding skill is not necessarily prized in the H-D camp. I've seen the most ridiculous riding errors from the straight pipe crowd. Bar none the best Harley riders, though, are the cops on the Ultraclassics. They can whip those things around like crazy. Then again they also get to practice this a lot, and do drop the bike in the process often (so I'm told).

The other reason handling is not up on the list of concerns is because as long as a motorcycle doesn't have a serious chassis problem, taking corners going the speed limit is not of much concern. That, and they seem to fucking love riding in straight lines on the highway in packs.

To be fair, when I rode my dad's Vulcan 900 (with windshield...ugh) it scared me at 75 mph. Cornering was OK I guess. Sportbikes and standards do all of the above much better, though ;)

My helmet search should be over.

Arai's Signet-Q (which I've been looking at...it's going to be available in a few months) is replacing the Arai Profile. I had not tried the Profile on until today. I wanted a new helmet that had better fit for a potential upcoming track day. The Profile is more of a long oval, but not quite as long as the original Signet. The RX-Q was almost perfect but after about 15 mins got a little bit of a hot spot on the forehead. The Profile I wore for about 15 minutes without any hotspots, it has good, even pressure. I'm excited. I got a discount on it, also. I'll have it next week.

o9uaq.jpg

I'd rather ride a loud-ass Harley any day. My Dad has a 2001 FatBoy that's bored out to 95ci from 88ci, with a custom exhaust. It's beautifully built, It's the best sounding bike I've heard (it's not just loud), and easier to ride than I expected. I would buy it from him if I had the money. My dad usually rides his Goldwing now because he takes my mom with them and they like to talk while on long rides.

daw840

QualityPixel said:
I'd rather ride a loud-ass Harley any day. My Dad has a 2001 FatBoy that's bored out to 95ci from 88ci, with a custom exhaust. It's beautifully built, It's the best sounding bike I've heard (it's not just loud), and easier to ride than I expected. I would buy it from him if I had the money. My dad usually rides his Goldwing now because he takes my mom with them and they like to talk while on long rides.

It's cool if you like the 2nd best american made motorcycle.

Here's a hint, Victory is far superior in almost every way. Just leave out the one that looks like a spaceship though. That thing is butt ugly. lol

daw840 said:
It's cool if you like the 2nd best american made motorcycle.

Here's a hint, Victory is far superior in almost every way. Just leave out the one that looks like a spaceship though. That thing is butt ugly. lol

3rd. Top is now Erik Buell Racing! He has made one badass bike - one i'd be damn proud to own (if only I had $40k or so).

daw840

thesoapster said:
3rd. Top is now Erik Buell Racing! He has made one badass bike - one i'd be damn proud to own (if only I had $40k or so).

Yeah....if crotch rockets are your thing those are pretty fucking sweet. I rode an R6 for about 8 hours in Hawaii. I don't think I want anything that aggressive. It was fun, but my back was fucked for like a week.

Top Bottom