• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2004 Olympic badminton rant by Mary Carillo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allforce

This has to be from NBC's "after hours" coverage that comes on after the 11 PM news.

I can just heard the director in the control room barking into her ear: "Mary, we need ya to fill 3 minutes before we go to the badminton coverage, we're having an issue with the uplink. STALL STALL STALL".

Consummate professional Mary Carillo sticks the fucking landing.

kmfdmpig

I've never seen that before. I think it's funny and well done by her. Some of the responses in this thread seem to take it a bit too seriously as she was trying to be funny/interesting, not having a meltdown of flashback to some real trauma.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I loved every second of that story and I don't even have kids.

Majine

Banned
Why is the year 2015 in the title? It was uploaded 2016, and the original is from 2004. What is 2015 about it?

Is what I'm wondering.

statham

It all lead back to badminton? This would be a great adventure game." well now the football, stuck in the tree, you have a pool stick and a bagel" "GO:"

Ninjimbo

Why is the year 2015 in the title? It was uploaded 2016, and the original is from 2004. What is 2015 about it?

Is what I'm wondering.
It's Olympics time again and people are probably just feeling a little nostalgic. Mary Carillo has been around forever.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
jZaC0do.jpg

stretch it stretch it

EulaCapra

"Now there are kids from all over the neighborhood that have come to your backyard, and they're emptying out your garage throwing stuff at your tree."

"You've got Colleen Clark up in the tree trying to get down a SpongeBob Squarepants beach ball with a hockey stick."

"Then you see Christopher Burr--and it's always Christopher Burr--he takes a rollerblade, throws it up at the tree, hits your car; you've got a dent in your Jeep."

Now that's how you stretch coverage.

Diablos

This is amazing especially because it's before the time where a lot of people would just do this for the Internet fame. It's genuine. I love this.

I felt at the very end her voice cracked from sadness and she looked actually on the verge of tears.

Amazing.

Also I've always loved her voice when she's on TV.

Edit:

So this Deadspin article has her explain it:

http://deadspin.com/lets-relive-mary-carillos-great-american-badminton-ra-1520537732/1520820915

Mary Carillo said:
Can't believe that thing's still around. I was hosting a morning show in Athens that covered a lot of badminton—some table tennis too, but badminton, I'd been assured, was going to be "the curling of the Summer Games." (!) There was no script for that rant—just a little dead time—but it got some chuckles and a head shake from my producer. It was a pretty loose show—I'd already explained a team handball's size by comparing it against various members of the melon family, and when I found out that equestrian horses were listed as "equipment" I did a rant on the fact that horses needed passports to get into the country and dramatically produced one, so surely they needed an identity upgrade..

That sort of nonsense got me a hosting gig on Torino's Olympic Ice show, which is still one of my all-time favorite scams. Don't know if it's still kicking around, but maybe my salute to Guido The Zamboni Guy is still out there from that wackadoodle show..

Don't know how I stay employed,
carillo

Guido the Zamboni Guy:

https://youtu.be/mzF4l7Mgujs

Ivan 3414

Her voice is so deep

At first I thought she was talking about how cheaply made badminton equipment is for recreational use

Then I thought the whole tree metaphor was about how spending money on badminton is sucking up money from other Olympic sports like basketball or some shit

Then it just ended

Apoc29

Thought this was going to be belittling the sport of badminton, which is most exciting racket sport, IMO.

That said, I played a lot of backyard badminton as a kid and the tree thing is too real.

RangerBAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom