• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2005 Famitsu Top 100

verplant

i've updated my homepage... it's a german page, but you will understand the charts ;-)

Famitsu Top 100 (ds/gba/psp games marked in different colors): klick

verplant said:
i've updated my homepage... it's a german page, but you will understand the charts ;-)

Famitsu Top 100 (ds/gba/psp games marked in different colors): klick

Thanks for all your work !
A little note: LTD for Sawaru is wrong, i think it didnt reach 8 million units sold ;)

Scott

Naked Snake said:
Did Final Fantasy IV bomb?
No. It was released on December 15th, so there are only 10 days of sales counted here, and it sold 134,418 copies. It's no blockbuster hit, surely, but it's pretty much in-line with how the previous ports performed.

ioi

Banned
littlewig said:
Any guess how well Animal Crossing DS will sell in 2006?

About 750k

It'll get close to 2m. Very close.

Also, while everyone seems to be making websites at the moment and plugging them, the best (obviously in my opinion) although also incomplete can be found here:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2005

And before people start moaning that numbers are much higher, this chart uses the more sensible dates of 03 Jan 05 - 01 Jan 06 and not the 52 week period a week before that as Famitsu have for some reason chosen (which as pointed out is silly as their 2004 chart ended 2nd Jan 05 so if you use their 2004 and 2005 chart you get the week 26th Dec 04 to 02nd Jan 05 twice!! oops).

ethelred

ioi said:
About 750k

It'll get close to 2m. Very close.

Also, while everyone seems to be making websites at the moment and plugging them, the best (obviously in my opinion) although also incomplete can be found here:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2005

And before people start moaning that numbers are much higher, this chart uses the more sensible dates of 03 Jan 05 - 01 Jan 06 and not the 52 week period a week before that as Famitsu have for some reason chosen (which as pointed out is silly as their 2004 chart ended 2nd Jan 05 so if you use their 2004 and 2005 chart you get the week 26th Dec 04 to 02nd Jan 05 twice!! oops).

I hate to disagree with you, but it seems to me like Animal Crossing will have a lot more momentum than you're giving it credit for. Even with a very conservative estimate, I can't see it selling so few copies in 2006; the strength it's been showing thus far shows no sign of abating any time soon, and it should top 750k, I would guess, within three months.

Seeing how Brain Training, Gentle Brain Training, Tamagotchi, and Nintendogs have managed to keep their sales momentum, I don't see Animal Crossing -- which is proving drastically more popular, hyped, and in-demand across the board -- failing to match them in longevity. It'll go over 2m.

ziran

verplant said:
Publisher Top 10

1. Nintendo 11,030,000 19
2. Bandai 5,540,000 11
3. Konami 5,080,000 7
4. SCE 4,090,000 8
5. Square Enix 3,580,000 9
6. Namco 3,360,000 8
7. Capcom 3,330,000 9
8. Sega 2,770,000 5
9. Koei 2,370,000 3
10. Pokemon 2,290,000 7
Nintendo (and The Pokemon Company) are really strong publishers in Japan. Over 13 million games sold in 2005, ~2.5 x the nearest competition, is very impressive!

ioi

Banned
ethelred said:
I hate to disagree with you, but it seems to me like Animal Crossing will have a lot more momentum than you're giving it credit for. Even with a very conservative estimate, I can't see it selling so few copies in 2006; the strength it's been showing thus far shows no sign of abating any time soon, and it should top 750k, I would guess, within three months.

Seeing how Brain Training, Gentle Brain Training, Tamagotchi, and Nintendogs have managed to keep their sales momentum, I don't see Animal Crossing -- which is proving drastically more popular, hyped, and in-demand across the board -- failing to match them in longevity. It'll go over 2m.

Agreed. I was being conservative.

I could see Animal Crossing and both Brain Trainings doing around 2.5m when all is said and done.

Animal Crossing is comparing pretty well to Donkey Kong Country on SNES which did 3m in total and had DKC2 a year later to eat into its sales etc so yep 2m is a lock really, 2.5m quite possible.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org...rossing:+Wild+World&name2=Donkey+Kong+Country

And the legs of Brain Trainings are just impossible to try and put numbers to, could even do a Pokemon yet:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org...n+Your+Brain&name2=Pokemon+Red+/+Green+/+Blue

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
ethelred said:

Come on now, let's stick to reality. 750k is not "little". 2 Million total isn't either. Only games lile dragon quest and final fantasy perform better than that.

ethelred

elostyle said:
Come on now, let's stick to reality. 750k is not "little". 2 Million total isn't either. Only games lile dragon quest and final fantasy perform better than that.

I wasn't implying that 750k in yearly sales are bad, or 2 million LTD is bad -- both of those are amazing, and I think any (non-Pokemon/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest) game would be thrilled to have sales like that. I'm not disparaging the quality of those numbers at all.

I'm just saying that by looking at the numbers the game has accumulated so far and looking at the demonstrated momentum that it (consistent #2 seller on the weekly charts) and other DS games (BT, GBT, Tamagotchi, Nintendogs, etc.) have demonstrated means it's almost certain that AC will surpass 750k YTD pretty easily and quickly and therefore go over 2m LTD. I'm only calling 750k "little" as an estimate -- it is a very, very conservative number. And I think ioi has pretty much agreed with me.

That's all.

ioi

Banned
If we don't include Pokemon / Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, what's the last game in Japan to sell 2m?

GT3? Nope, no other PS2 game did 2m (FFX, FFX-2 and DQVIII only)

GBA game? Nope, only one other game (apart from Pokemon R/S, FR/LG and E) did over 1m and that was Super Mario Bros

What then?

Yugioh IV back in 2001 on GBC which was huge and did 2.18m.

Before that?

Dragon Quest Monsters on GBC back in 98 which did 2.35m and again was huge at the time.

Before that you get Everybody's Golf (2.13m), Mario Kart 64 (2.24m), Resident Evil 2 (2.03m) and Gran Turismo (2.55m) before going pre 96 to the SNES.

So the prospect of Animal Crossing doing well over 2m (it's on 1.5-1.6 now) and Brain Training 1&2 being hot on it's tail shows just how well these games and the DS are doing. They really are dominating at the moment and putting out some enormous numbers, likely better than anything on PS2 apart from FFX and DQVIII and of course with the likes of Mario Bros and Pokemon still to come.

And past those big three I don't think it's much of a stretch that Mario Kart DS, Gentle BT and Nintendogs will all do 1.5m which again is better than any PS2 game but FFX, FFX-2, DQVIII and GT3.

Impressive indeed and sales are going to be strong for a long time yet, this is only the beginning. Just imagine how many new DS games got the greenlight these last couple of weeks in Japan!

ethelred

ioi said:
Impressive indeed and sales are going to be strong for a long time yet, this is only the beginning. Just imagine how many new DS games got the greenlight these last couple of weeks in Japan!

THAT right there is the very best part. You can bet that almost every single developer/publisher in Japan was taking very heavy notice of just went on, sales-wise, during the month of December. And they're going to react accordingly. Strong system sales are one thing, but the sales the DS experienced in December were unprecedented, and publishers are probably initiating a ton of new projects based on that.

That's the main reason why I'm figuring that the DS and PSP will sell evenly for the first half of 2006 and then the DS will pull ahead -- in about six, seven months or so, that's when all these projects borne of the DS's amazing December are going to start hitting the US, too (aside from all the previously announced high profile titles).

It's amazing, though, to think about what might be in the pipeline now because of the last month.

Top Bottom