• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2005 videogame industry breaks all previous sales records

vader01.jpg

Impressive!

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Only in JAPANS INCREASINGLY UNIMPORTANT MARKET...

...until Nintendo DS arrived!

Meh, they can do what they want and keep training their brains to their hearts content if it makes them happy. Just as long as they keep shooting us the RPG's I crave once in awhile and surprise us with occasional Katamari.

Amir0x

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Meh, they can do what they want and keep training their brains to their hearts content if it makes them happy. Just as long as they keep shooting us the RPG's I crave once in awhile and surprise us with occasional Katamari.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hmm, wonder why actually. Could it have been because of the DS? Cause there weren't any ridiculously selling console games like GTA and Halo this year. Other than Madden.

SantaC

Oblivion said:
Hmm, wonder why actually. Could it have been because of the DS? Cause there weren't any ridiculously selling console games like GTA and Halo this year. Other than Madden.

EA always got some games that sells really well.

cvxfreak

DS, PSP and 360 were responsible for this 6% increase. Remember, it's the money the NPD is reporting here - the 360 and its games were expensive, and the PSP was the most expensive hardware before the 360. While the industry might be making more money, the overall amount of units is probably down.

This is in contrast to Japan where both the revenue and total numbers of units have gone up thanks to the DS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, this isn't really too surprising. You got PSP, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Micro and even the new GBA SP backlit revision, then of course the X360. Then you got $40+ PSP games, good DS library + Nintendogs + NDS colors and $60 X360 games...

Ponn

Banned
cvxfreak said:
DS, PSP and 360 were responsible for this 6% increase. Remember, it's the money the NPD is reporting here - the 360 and its games were expensive, and the PSP was the most expensive hardware before the 360. While the industry might be making more money, the overall amount of units is probably down.

And to balance those out you had two consoles in their twilight basically throwing the towel this holiday (xbox and gamecube). And PS2 had some good games but nothing spectacular like a FFXII or KH2 or new GTA. Not even a PS2 price drop. When you near the end of a generation you generally expect a lull in the industry. This shouldn't be anything new to people.

yup, a bunch of launches and "killer libraries" rather than "killer apps" for the handhelds have saved us all from dooooooooooooom

cvxfreak

Ponn01 said:
And to balance those out you had two consoles in their twilight basically throwing the towel this holiday (xbox and gamecube). And PS2 had some good games but nothing spectacular like a FFXII or KH2 or new GTA. Not even a PS2 price drop. When you near the end of a generation you generally expect a lull in the industry. This shouldn't be anything new to people.

Did the amount of units sold in the US market in 2000 fall compared to 1999?

Ponn

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Did the amount of units sold in the US market in 2000 fall compared to 1999?

According to Jarrod's numbers, yes.

N64 1999 - 4.0 million
N64 2000 - 2.9 million

PSX 1999 - 7.4 million
PSX 2000 - 4.3 million

and even with Dreamcast and PS2 launching in Japan in 2000 the totals sales were

1999 - 12.9 million to
2000 - 9.5 million

cvxfreak

Ponn01 said:
According to Jarrod's numbers, yes.

N64 1999 - 4.0 million
N64 2000 - 2.9 million

PSX 1999 - 7.4 million
PSX 2000 - 4.3 million

and even with Dreamcast and PS2 launching in Japan in 2000 the totals sales were

1999 - 12.9 million to
2000 - 9.5 million

That's only hardware I assume? Portables included? What about software and accessories?

Ponn

Banned
cvxfreak said:
That's only hardware I assume? Portables included? What about software and accessories?

Hey, you only asked for units. I'm not going to do your footwork. If you wanna believe "Nintendo's pied piper" and say the industry is doomed or declining or whatever then that's your proof to substantiate. I showed hardware sales do dip on the twilight of consoles and right before/during launches. Hell, that should be common knowledge if you are a gamer.

The only people buying consoles in the twilight are cheap parents or people looking to pick up that second or third console. The fact that Xbox and Gamecube where all but abandoned certainly wouldn't help any. Sony at least supported the PSX during and after the transistion for a good year or more with price drops and PSone redesign. We still don't even have a PS2 pricedrop and i'm sure once we do you will see another spike in sales there.

Monk

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Thank god, let's put to rest this "industry is doomed/declining crap".

You have to consider inflation and the like. And even with that it isnt the problem with the industry. THe problem is that the game dev costs is increasing at a faster rate than the sales in $.

And with the introduction of new handhelds and the Xbox 360 it should have been a little higher.

EDIT Hmm i didnt take into acount the ps2 and gc twilight years into account. Just disregard my last statement.

cvxfreak

Ponn01 said:
Hey, you only asked for units. I'm not going to do your footwork. If you wanna believe "Nintendo's pied piper" and say the industry is doomed or declining or whatever then that's your proof to substantiate. I showed hardware sales do dip on the twilight of consoles and right before/during launches. Hell, that should be common knowledge if you are a gamer.

The only people buying consoles in the twilight are cheap parents or people looking to pick up that second or third console. The fact that Xbox and Gamecube where all but abandoned certainly wouldn't help any. Sony at least supported the PSX during and after the transistion for a good year or more with price drops and PSone redesign. We still don't even have a PS2 pricedrop and i'm sure once we do you will see another spike in sales there.

If you haven't noticed, I've been playing dumb the whole time. The NPD cited hardware, software AND accessories as key drivers to the industry's increased money earned. So by units, I asked for everything collectively. You're completely right; it's no secret that hardware sales fall by a lot but that's only part of the picture and hence I did not ask for those only. I don't have the totals for myself, but I personally find it hard to believe that total units in 2000 for everything (HSA) were less than in 1999. Maybe they were.

Hell, I could go even further back and compare 1999 to 1998 since that's when the DC launched (I honestly forgot, and only remember when you mentioned it). The truth is, even during previous transitional eras, the total number of sold units didn't drop like it did this did this time. I can see someone blaming Pokemon for that, but who cares.

Also, it's not wise to put words in people's mouths. :) I made no allusions towards Nintendo's claims, nor did I say the industry was doomed. My initial post was just the truth behind why the industry grew in 2005.

But, I don't have all the figures so this is all just drawing from my memory, so my arguement might be backwards for all I know. Sure sonycowboy can correct me if I'm wrong.

cvxfreak

Monk said:
You have to consider inflation and the like. And even with that it isnt the problem with the industry. THe problem is that the game dev costs is increasing at a faster rate than the sales in $.

And with the introduction of new handhelds and the Xbox 360 it should have been a little higher.

A 6% increase is about $600 Million more in revenue (I *think* this is revenue).

It's interesting to note that 2004, according to the first post, was actually lower than 2002 in terms of revenue despite the presence of GTASA and Halo 2. We probably have price drops to thank for that. I'm sure actual unit sales were higher in 2004 though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For those of you that clicked the link when it was still just a stub, the full story is up now, along with

*drumroll*

the top 10 best-selling games of 2005:

#1 Madden NFL 2006—PS2—EA
#2 Pokemon Emerald—GBA—Nintendo
#3 Gran Turismo 4—PS2—Sony Computer Ent.
#4 Madden NFL 2006—Xbox—EA
#5 NCAA Football 06—PS2—EA
#6 Star Wars: Battlefront II—PS2—LucasArts
#7 MVP Baseball 2005—PS2—EA
#8 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith—PS2—LucasArts
#9 NBA Live 06—PS2—EA
#10 Lego Star Wars—PS2—Eidos

Mashing

The play devils advocate for a second.... what did you expect? THREE new systems were introduced this year. Two of them were not really expected (read: new product lines). The only direction the market could move WAS up.

That is why this doesn't impress me as much than if it happened during 2004 or something.

Edit: beaten like a red-headed stepchild

Oblivion

Wow, suprised Pokemon emerald beat out GT4. For the last NPD we got, how much were to LTD sales? Does anyone know?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
6% increase in SALES.

This doesn't measure the actual profit companies made, the cost of products consumers bought (i.e. less units of more expensive commodities possibly?), inflation, or the fact that there were 3 new pieces of hardware released - one from each major hardware manufacturer.

If you think these figures prove the industry is in good shape I would suggest you think again. Then when you realise 5 of the top 10 selling games of the year are EA sports titles...The industry looks like it is still in a bit of a rut it, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 2-3 years following the release of PS3 and Revolution. This year's revenue will surely be surpassed in 2006 and 2007?

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
Wow, suprised Pokemon emerald beat out GT4. For the last NPD we got, how much were to LTD sales? Does anyone know?

As of November:

Pokemon Emerald Version 1,558,620

As of September:

GRAN TURISMO 4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. (SONY)Feb-05 1,390,620

Sonycowboy hasn't updated his 500K charts since then I believe.

Oblivion

cvxfreak said:
As of November:

Pokemon Emerald Version 1,558,620

As of September:

GRAN TURISMO 4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. (SONY)Feb-05 1,390,620

Sonycowboy hasn't updated his 500K charts since then I believe.

Thanks, dood. :)

But I must wonder, those GT4 sales seem pretty skimpy. Didn't GT3 do ridiculously well over here? Wonder what caused the slump.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
Alot of its sales came when it went GH.

GT3's don't include the bundle, either.

But when GT4 goes GH, it should get a nice boost but I doubt it'll reach anywhere near GT3 levels.

Andrew2

Banned
Again people, this is sales, not actual profits. Profit margins among people like EA, THQ, Activision and Take-Two are declining, even if sales are increasing.

Andrew2

Banned
Link316 said:
so much for a shrinking market...

considering the fact consumers are buying less of the sold product, I would say theres signs of a shrinking market. The fact people like EA, THQ, Activision and etc have been reporting low profit margins is enough.

Osorio

Why you guys are comparing this year to last year I have no idea. Sure, there were 2 system launches (1 a handheld and another a console in extremely limited supply), but of course software sales are going to come down compared to last year. Honestly, what games came out this holiday season that were absolutely huge? Last year there was San Andreas, Halo 2, and Half-Life 2 in the span of a few weeks. I'm sure the software sales would be way up if there was Kingdom Hearts, FF XII, Zelda, but they didn't come out. You guys can say its a declining market, but it just looked like a lackluster holiday season for me.

Ponn

Banned
Andrew2 said:
considering the fact consumers are buying less of the sold product, I would say theres signs of a shrinking market. The fact people like EA, THQ, Activision and etc have been reporting low profit margins is enough.

Time to start providing some numbers to back your claims up here.

Top Bottom