• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 FIFA Club World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL MONTERREY OLOLOLOLOLOLOL

First shot by Espérance, first goal. ololol what the fuck

stop shaming Mexico's football goddammit

neoanarch

Hopefully Monterrey lose so that their humiliation is utterly complete.
EDIT: What the fuck is wrong with Chupete Suazo this year.

Embarrassing goal Monterrey just let in

Suazo has been playing with a shoulder problem since before the WC. He should have had surgery to fix the problem. I'm not sure why he decided to keep playing like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah, but he's had that problem since the spring or something. He's really an idiot.

P.S. It sounds weird hearing the "puto" chants in Japan. lol

neoanarch

2ND GOAL for Monterrey. Esperance is kind of terrible. Monterrey keeps bombing down the left flank and they can't stop them.

xbhaskarx

How did a team from Tunisia manage to win Africa anyways... and why does their name sound more like Spanish than Arabic?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How did a team from Tunisia manage to win Africa anyways... and why does their name sound more like Spanish than Arabic?
Espérance is the French word for hope, dude.

Reysol, now, that's Sun King in Spanish. Japanese football teams are in love with Spanish, like it should be.

neoanarch

WTF is wrong with Mier he's usaully fantastic under pressure.

Also, I guess this seals Orozcos chances at breaking into El tri as the #3 keeper. Horrible at penalties.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There's still chance for an ignominious Monterrey choke! Damn Espérance almost had it!
WTF is wrong with Mier he's usaully fantastic under pressure.

Also, I guess this seals Orozcos chances at breaking into El tri as the #3 keeper. Horrible at penalties.
Corona > Ochoa > Talavera. But we all know Talavera is Chepo's favourite (and he kinda earned the position if you ask me).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And thus another failure for Mexican teams in international tournaments ends. Maybe Tigres won't suck shit in 2013; 2012 is already a lost cause.

Now changing my gears. GO KASHIWA REYSOL

A problem is the huge gap between qualification to champions league -->> Winning champions league ----> CWC

Its simply not the same team.

neoanarch

A problem is the huge gap between qualification to champions league -->> Winning champions league ----> CWC

Its simply not the same team.

Qualify by Clausura results, so June 2010, Group stage of the CCL ends in October 2010 the final in April 2011 , and the CWC in December 2011. So a 1 & 1/2 year process for the Mexican sides. Concacaf should really be pushed into making the CL more like the Libertadores with a tighter schedule. The group stage has been over since October we could have had the knockout round over and done by the time the CWC started.

Concachafa ends in April; Champions League and Libertadores end in May.

Lets compare apples to apples.

CONCACAF teams lose to Asian and African teams.

Asian competition begins February 2011 and ended 5 November...a month before the CWC
Africans teams end their tournament on 13 November 2011.... half a month before the CWC
The Japanese team qualified on....December 3 just days before the tournament.

Meanwhile, Monterrey was a champion on April 27, 2011, a world away.

As for Barcelona and Santos? Those teams have much less turnover in players than CONCACAF teams.

When Barcelona wins in June, they go shopping for even better plays in August.

Meanwhile, when the CONCACAF team wins in April, all their best players are picked off in August.

neoanarch

I also think there is something to be said about the Clausura/Apertura format and why the Brazilian sides have dominated the Libertadores in the last decade. With sides being forced into looking at short term solutions instead of thinking about the long run.

And now we wait.

If Santos doesn't improve it's defensive awareness (lots of long balls, slow defensive line, too much space), might as well enter the field and handle Barça the trophy.

Chuckie

I've never heard of this tournament before.

Is this to replace the match between the Europa Cup winner and the South American Cup winner? For how long has it been like that? And is it still as meaningless as it used to be?

I've never heard of this tournament before.

Is this to replace the match between the Europa Cup winner and the South American Cup winner? For how long has it been like that? And is it still as meaningless as it used to be?

"The first FIFA Club World Championship took place in Brazil in January 2000. It ran in parallel with the Intercontinental Cup, contested annually since 1960 by the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the South American Copa Libertadores, until the two merged in 2005. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup

Meaningless? About as meaningless as the regular World Cup, the UEFA Champions league and so forth.

It's just a game where people run around after a ball hoping to win a shiny trophy. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it's meaningless.

bjaelke

"The first FIFA Club World Championship took place in Brazil in January 2000. It ran in parallel with the Intercontinental Cup, contested annually since 1960 by the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the South American Copa Libertadores, until the two merged in 2005. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup

Meaningless? About as meaningless as the regular World Cup, the UEFA Champions league and so forth.

It's just a game where people run around after a ball hoping to win a shiny trophy. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it's meaningless.

Except it (roughly) goes like this:

Champions League
Euro Cup
World Cup
Europa League
Carling Cup
Club World Cup.

Except it (roughly) goes like this:

Champions League
Euro Cup
World Cup
Europa League
Carling Cup
Club World Cup.

Actually, no. For most of the world, the CWC is the most important tournament...because it is. Theres no higher contest on the club level.

You win this, youre the worlds best club, indisputably.

Seems like literally a good amount of people in this very thread care. Bro.

Feel free to troll in the mega-football thread, where games are not discussed because it would distract from transfer rumors.

Lets keep this thread focused on the games, yes?

Al-Wadd is holding up, but as soon as the floodgates open...

Im predicting 4-1.

bjaelke

The tournament is good fun, but that's about it. That's also the reason it gets almost no recognition in the official football thread. Not trying to bash this thread in anyway.

Easy goal for Adriano...

Chuckie

Actually, no. For most of the world, the CWC is the most important tournament...because it is. Theres no higher contest on the club level.

You win this, youre the worlds best club, indisputably.

I really doubt that. I didn't even know it existed. I don't even know if I can see this on television in the Netherlands.

For Dutchies I think its like this:

1. World Cup
2. Euro Cup
3. Champions League
4. National Honorary League (I put this on 4 but I think for a lot of people its more important than Champions League)
5. National First League
27. Womens League
99. The CWC.

I can also tell you why nobody gives a shit. It's because it is for clubs. And the smaller the selection of clubs the less people give a shit.
I care about Feyenoord in our own league, I care about Orange in Euro and Worldcup.
Beyond that I care maybe a slight bit for another Dutch team in the Champions League, but I reaaaaallly couldn't care less for some random European team, let alone a random Asian or Southamerican team.

Almost nobody outside of some Barcelona supporters will care how they will do in some obscure tournament.. That makes it a relatively small fanbase. (On an international global scale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom