• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

mhi

I wanna start a fantasy league for everyone who isn't in the other one.

PM me your e-mail and ill send the inv (i'll be on espn, rottiserie)

pilonv1

There's another one? I asked yesterday so I will ask again now, who's doing the main Best Gaf league and why wasn't I invited?

charsace

Wes Johnson unleashed

I still think its hilarious that the wolves had to trade a first with him just to dump him. The 4th pick in his draft and only 2 years in the league and they had to trade a first with him to get rid of him. How down on him was the team to do that?

pilonv1

I still think its hilarious that the wolves had to trade a first with him just to dump him. The 4th pick in his draft and only 2 years in the league and they had to trade a first with him to get rid of him. How down on him was the team to do that?

It was part of Kahn's Team Whitey edict.

giri

who would win out of this field playing first to 21

Henderson
DeRozan
Wes Johnson
Emo Turner
G-Tyme

G-Tyme, easily. Thats not even close.

Change G-Tyme for someone that can't shoot so they fit the rest of them. I hear earl clarke is available.

Ken Berger says that NBA PA shit is just a formality.

Berger said:
While it may seem that the union is opposing something almost everyone else is in favor of -- flopping is the bane of our basketball existence -- the move by the NBPA was expected and largely procedural. Union officials are not necessarily opposed to putting rules in place to curtail flopping, but are prepared to argue that monetary discipline cannot be imposed outside of the fine schedule for various offenses already contained in the collective bargaining agreement.

Player reaction Wednesday was strongly in favor of the new flopping guidelines, however -- at least at Lakers camp, where Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash all gave their approval for the concept, if not the execution.

"I'd love to see it have an impact on the game itself," Bryant said. "In international play, they give you a technical foul, a free throw and you get the ball back. I like the rule, though. Shameless flopping is just a chump move. We're familiar with it, and Vlade [Divac] kind of pioneered it in the playoffs against me and Shaq."

Nash said it's "good, actually, to try to keep the game honest and penalize guys for trying to trick the referees." Moments later, he was accused by his own teammate of flopping in practice.
no comment from Pau.

Matt Bonner weighs in.

Bonner said:
Spurs forward Matt Bonner, a vice president of the National Basketball Players Association, had not heard about the anti-flopping policy the NBA formally introduced Wednesday.

Apprised of the details — a system of escalating fines for serial offenders — Bonner said he didn’t think the new rules would pass muster with the players union.

“I don’t think it will hold up,” Bonner said. “If it does, I’m curious what the collateral damage will be. It’s too extreme in my opinion.”

Though many players across the league were outspoken Wednesday in their support of the NBA’s anti-flopping attempts, the National Basketball Players Association announced its intention to file a grievance arguing any new economic forms of discipline must be collectively bargained.

“Obviously, flopping isn’t a good thing for the game,” Bonner said. “The question is, how do you police it? Fining seems a bit extreme, to say the least.”

Bonner is a proponent of the system employed by FIBA, international basketball’s ruling body, which allows game officials to assess a technical foul to a player suspected of flopping.

“”You look at what they do in Europe, with the technical, that seems more in line,” Bonner said. “It’s enough of a deterrent to keep guys from flopping. Fining guys, I don’t think is necessary.”

Omega

Banned
the fines weren't even that much.

wasn't a first offense 5k? even the bench warmers in the league can pay that without worrying about taking a huge financial hit. the last offense wasn't even that much either.

one would assume after three offenses you would learn and not flop anymore..so what's the fuss about? either man the fuck up and learn how to properly play the game or keep trying to win an Oscar

So I just found out the Celtics are coming to play over here in Milan this weekend. I'm seriously thinking about showing up in my heat gear just to troll lol.

linsivvi

the fines weren't even that much.

wasn't a first offense 5k? even the bench warmers in the league can pay that without worrying about taking a huge financial hit. the last offense wasn't even that much either.

one would assume after three offenses you would learn and not flop anymore..so what's the fuss about? either man the fuck up and learn how to properly play the game or keep trying to win an Oscar

I think they are make the fine as little as possible for this season and see if the shame approach will work. This is pretty much an official way of labeling a player a flopper.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Wait if they call it as a technical doesn't that mean there will still be a fine? If its called a tech I think it will be even more harsh if the flop tech's add up instead of the vague "5 or more" flop penalty the NBA is trying to install.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

He's among the worst players I've ever seen. He has no purpose on a basketball court.

Before he's willing to start training camp, Houston Rockets rookie Royce White wants the team's permission to travel to some games by private bus, the former Iowa State star told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Busing to games, he said, is a vital component in the treatment of his anxiety.

White, who missed the team's media day on Monday and the start of training camp in McAllen, Texas, on Tuesday, said he hopes to reach an agreement with the team soon. He said he expects to join his teammates within "a week," if talks with the Rockets continue to progress.

"What it's going to look like is every game that's drivable, I'm going to get a bus for myself," White said. "And I'm going to make that bus feel like home so that there's a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. I'm going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule.

"People with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, 'Can I travel by bus to close enough games?' "

Earlier Wednesday, White released a statement that detailed his refusal to join the team until a plan to address his "long-term health" was in place.

"There are often negative consequences to mental illness when not given the proper support," said White, according to a statement released through his publicist, California-based China Myers. "Often, those consequences are more severe for the surrounding people than the sufferer him/herself. I am not willing to allow those consequences to befall on myself or others close to me.

"It causes me anxiety to know that serious consequences could happen if I do not express what I deal with, or if I am not truthful enough to ask for what I need to be healthy. For me, hiding is no longer a healthy option in treating my anxiety or OCD, so I have asked for some help from the organization to ensure long-term health for myself.

"It has been determined that without a specific plan in place, the current workplace is not healthy for me. I feel that it is essential to formulate the right plan for a better chance of execution, despite other timelines or agendas. The most important agenda to me is a plan that is healthy. Therefore, a plan has been requested that will support a healthy work environment. In addition to this, it has been requested that the standard requirements for players in regards to this plan be voided because it is not a standard situation.

"It is regrettable that I cannot be currently present, but long-term health obviously should be the most important thing. I will continue to champion the cause for mental illness being met with understanding; if not, the ramifications are dangerous.

"Mental illness is a very individual-based disorder -- very unique for each person. So for those who come forward and ask for help, a very unique support plan should be the solution, given the nature of mental illness.

"No blame is being placed on the Rockets organization."

This doesn't sound like it's going to end well...

Royce does know that flying is safer than driving right? Does he also know that he won't ever be flying commerial while on the job?

He needs to get over his fear by embracing it. When I first started to drive I was absolutely terrified everytime I got behind the wheel, but I forced myself to fight through it. Royce needs to fight his fear of flying head on if you ask me.

Doctors need to up his zoloft dosage or something. It's not a good situation though.

Anxiety disorders range in severity. That's like telling someone to just get over their depression.

Yep. As someone who dealt with it some years back the only thing that can help heal is for you to put in the work to get better (working out, possible therapy), proper medication and time. I think it's going to be a bad year for him but he'll get over it eventually. He can't just flip a switch though. It's pretty much impossible with true anxiety disorder.

Triple U

Banned
Anxiety disorders range in severity. That's like telling someone to just get over their depression.

Yeah im pretty sure I've seen all the ranges of severity. You ever hear of PTSD?

Some things come with the territory. Im pretty sure he knew what he was getting into when he decided to be a basketball player.

Blablurn

proxy.jpg

Behind the scenes pic of @kingjames from today's intro video shoot.

not sure what to expect :D but i loved last seasons intro!

Smokey

At least Royce cut that ugly growth on his chin and looks to be more presentable.

I dunno about that bus thing tho...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Houston obviously misjudged the situation with Royce. There wont be a quick fix to this.

this Laker channel on TWC is like crack. I actually have not stopped watching it since launch.

So much good stuff. Every night they have given me hour long updates from practice. The launch party was truly amazing. I am so sorry for those of you that can't get it. I was about to switch to Direct TV, but between this and the NFL network finally coming, I just can't leave.

There was a segment where Mitch said that a deal was done for Pau, but the other team pulled out last minute. After it had some fan backlash. Does anyone know what team or player he might be talking about?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Got a chance to watch FT this morning, and the show is so much better without Stephen A. No one was talking over each other, they were actually discussing the topic instead of going on some tangent about how beautiful some woman was or how "disrespectful" Skip is. Eddie House was great too, and should replace Stephen A on the show.

The flopping fine sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Is flopping an issue? Yes. But fines should be reserved for infractions that actually cause harm to the game like fights, touching an official, etc.

Flopping is more of a strategic move; you could even say that it's an entirely valid defensive strategy. Do people like flopping? No. But it's entirely harmless.

I'm pretty convinced that this was a bargaining move by the NBA to go to one extreme so that they can settle on a more tolerable outcome (which they were planning all along). There is no way this stays.

The flopping fine sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Is flopping an issue? Yes. But fines should be reserved for infractions that actually cause harm to the game like fights, touching an official, etc.

Flopping is more of a strategic move; you could even say that it's an entirely valid defensive strategy. Do people like flopping? No. But it's entirely harmless.

I'm pretty convinced that this was a bargaining move by the NBA to go to one extreme so that they can settle on a more tolerable outcome (which they were planning all along). There is no way this stays.

Clipper fan?

Top Bottom