• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Defending Champions- Louisville Cardinals
louisville-ncaa-title.jpg

GIF Semi Recap of the 2012-2013 Season:
marshallhenderson_original.gif

chickenfgcu_medium_zps5f1d8444.gif
miamifloorslap_original_zps0804a6c2.gif

CRYING-UNC_zpsb493ccdb.gif
Z2t3Hee_zpsc0ffe96b.gif

Off-Season Headlines:

1. Rules Changes Galore

In an effort to encourage offense and scoring, several new rules and new implementations will be in effect this season. Chief among them is the redefinition of the classic "block-charge" call which has altered to greatly benefit the attacking player. The other most notable change in officiating will be with elbows. In recent years, the rule on elbow contact was much harsher with almost any elbow contact with the head resulting in a flagrant foul, whether it was inadvertent or not. This rule has been slightly relaxed this year to allow for more of the referee's judgement of intent and severity in deciding whether and how much elbows should be punished.

2. Great Class? Or Greatest Class

Led by Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and the UK superclass, this year sees one of the greatest influxes of young talent in recent college basketball memory. Year of the Freshman indeed.

3. New Faces in New Places

Several high-profile coaching changes have been made this year. Most notable among them are Steve Alford and Andy Enfield leaving their jobs at mid-majors to take on the cross-town rivals UCLA and USC respectively, while Richard Pitino (son of Rick) takes over for Tubby Smith in Minnesota.

4.New Faces in New Places II

This offseason has seen one of the biggest conference realignments in NCAA history with 49 teams joining new conferences this year. The biggest change is the end of the old Big East. The seven Catholic basketball-only schools have formed their own conference taking the Big East name with them while Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame leave for the ACC this year, with Louisville joining them in 2014. The remaining schools have regrouped themselves into the new American Athletic Conference (AAC), adding Temple, Memphis, Central Florida, Houston and SMU.

Early Contenders
usual_zpse483062b.jpg

Pivotal Early Season Games

Kentucky vs MSU-November 12 (Champion's Classic)
Duke vs Kansas- November 12 (Champion's Classic)
Oklahoma State vs Memphis- November 19
Duke vs Michigan- December 3
Syracuse vs Indiana-December 3
UNC vs MSU- December 4
Florida vs Kansas- December 10
Michigan vs Arizona-December 14
UNC vs Kentucky- December 14
Memphis vs Florida-December 17
Kentucky vs Louisville-December 28

Karakand

Wow can't believe they cancelled college hoops this season, that's real sad. I mean I'm going to make the most of Steve Alfraud earning money for doing nothing, but some of you had seasons to look forward too. :(

Amory

new-uconn-logo.png

Checking in.

What a terrible year it's been for Connecticut athletics overall. Fucked in conference realignment, worst football team ever (though at least we fired our coach).

But we look to be very good on the hardwood this year.

Silkworm

Should be a great season. Hoping UK can improve on last year. Shouldn't be too hard!

Hopefully UF can give UK a run for the SEC regular season championship title (you guys look stacked). Of course they need to get healthy, get players off of suspension, and get Chris Walker on campus by hopefully sometime in December, but there's still time for all of that to happen *fingers crossed*

Fjordson

Hopefully UF can give UK a run for the SEC regular season championship title. Of course they need to get healthy, get players off of suspension, and get Chris Walker on campus by hopefully sometime in December, but there's still time for all of that to happen *fingers crossed*
Yeah, Florida and Tennessee will hopefully be good. Outside of those two and UK, the SEC is a bit barren right now.

Silkworm

Yeah, Florida and Tennessee will hopefully be good. Outside of those two and UK, the SEC is a bit barren right now.

It can only get better after last year, right? Hate to see another down year for the SEC overall. Figured most of the problems last year had to do with most of the SEC fielding young teams so I'm hoping they'll be better this year (looking at SC, Bama, Arkansas, Georgia).

Edit: Maybe the Big 12/SEC Challenge will give a better feel for how the SEC will shape up this season.

Nesotenso

from seeing KU's late night scrimmage, lots of athletes on this team. might be more depth than last year, just lack the experience.

Fjordson

Champion's Classic is going to be insanely good this year. Wish I could have gotten tickets, but just couldn't swing the trip out East.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
miamifloorslap_original_zps0804a6c2.gif

Miami has to know that we're going to beat the absolute fuck out of them this year. But their run does bring up a good point. Nobody expected them to be a factor at all last year and when they came out of nowhere, they played really well for the most part. However barring another out of nowhere Miami team, I expect Duke to roll the fuck out of the ACC. UNC and State may compete, UVA I think will be a factor, but talent wise, its not close, not by a long shot.

This should be a great year for fans of college basketball played by people with actual athletic talent. All the top teams have ballers on em.

Miami has to know that we're going to beat the absolute fuck out of them this year. But their run does bring up a good point. Nobody expected them to be a factor at all last year and when they came out of nowhere, they played really well for the most part. However barring another out of nowhere Miami team, I expect Duke to roll the fuck out of the ACC. UNC and State may compete, UVA I think will be a factor, but talent wise, its not close, not by a long shot.

This should be a great year for fans of college basketball played by people with actual athletic talent. All the top teams have ballers on em.

I actually expect the biggest challenge to come from Syracuse. UNC may be slightly better than they were last year, but they're still a year away from mounting another serious challenge for the title. State's going to take a big step back this year after losing 4 starters and a huge chunk of their production at every position.

Miami should be dogshit, but Larranega's a coach who can make something out of nothing, so you never know.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan adds 6'9 shooter DJ Wilson from California to it's 2014 class. He had offers from Cal, USC, Gonzaga, Harvard, and Columbia. Columbia was actually one of his 3 visits along with Gonzaga,

Now let's see if we can snag Devin Booker, James Blackmon, or Jonah Bolden to take this from a solid class to a really good class.

Fjordson

Kelly Oubre says he's going to decide on a school shortly after his visit to UK for Big Blue Madness. Going to be either Kansas or Kentucky.

Seems like Kansas is the safe bet right now, but BBM has been known to sway people. I remember Julius Randle saying in an interview that once he saw Big Blue Madness he started leaning towards Kentucky.

This could be a huge get for UK. Karl Towns is our only consensus top 10 recruit right now, so sort of a B-Tier class for Calipari unless we can land 1-2 more.

UCF revealed their new white uniforms today. Pinstripes. Should go nice with the black-stained basketball court.

Going to be an interesting year for BB. The American got fucked in football realignment but it will still be a strong basketball league. Even after this year when UL leaves for the ACC.

UNC tutor quits over Hairston saga

"Roy, after 23 years as an academic tutor, and after going through the devastating football scandal, I am resigning in protest of your disgraceful decision to allow P.J. Hairston to remain on the team," Halperin's letter read. 'If I were arrested driving with no license, illegal drugs and a gun in a felon's car, my employment at this university would end immediately. Hairston's [Daily Tar Heel] headline quote was, 'I will play this season.' Since when does the criminal decide his fate?

Fjordson

Just saw on some UK forums that Kelly Oubre is announcing "big news" tomorrow (technically later today I guess).

Hopefully it's just him officially cutting his list down to UK and Kansas, but I'm afraid it could be a sudden commitment after his Kansas visit this weekend.

Big dawg Cliff Alexander set to announce his decision on ESPN November 20th. Kansas have been rumored to be the frontrunners for the last several months, but Chicago insiders insist Illini are in it. I have learned not to count out Groce, he will get it done even if we don't land Cliff.

Cliff Alexander @humblekid11
Change of date November 16th my birthday I will make my college decision

Kelly Paul Oubre Jr. ‏@K_Ctmd22 41m
Blessed to say that I have Committed to Kansas University !! #RockChalk

I guess that's that

Fjordson

Cliff Alexander @humblekid11
Change of date November 16th my birthday I will make my college decision

Kelly Paul Oubre Jr. ‏@K_Ctmd22 41m
Blessed to say that I have Committed to Kansas University !! #RockChalk

I guess that's that
Yep. Sucks we couldn't get Oubre to stick with his visit.

Stanley Johnson is the only small forward UK really has a shot at now I think and Arizona is the favourite there. Definitely going to be a step down this year for Calipari's class.

bachikarn

Hopefully UF can give UK a run for the SEC regular season championship title (you guys look stacked). Of course they need to get healthy, get players off of suspension, and get Chris Walker on campus by hopefully sometime in December, but there's still time for all of that to happen *fingers crossed*

We are going to be really good this. Unfortunately, rumors are that three players besides Scottie (DFS, Harris, and Prather) will be suspended for the first three games. We play @Wisconsin for the third game, so that's going to be rough without them.

Fjordson

We are going to be really good this. Unfortunately, rumors are that three players besides Scottie (DFS, Harris, and Prather) will be suspended for the first three games. We play @Wisconsin for the third game, so that's going to be rough without them.
What, really? What the hell happened?

Fjordson

Oubre is a really nice get. As much as it pains me to say it, Self may own everyone outside of Coach K this year (assuming K gets Tyus Jones and Okafor). He got Oubre to straight up cancel his Kentucky visit and commit early. If he gets a few other guys that Kansas is high on like Cliff Alexander and Myles Turner then that's going to be a monster class.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Stanley Johnson is the only small forward UK really has a shot at now I think and Arizona is the favourite there. Definitely going to be a step down this year for Calipari's class.

Booker is pushing 6'6. He could play the small forward position if need be. Might not be ideal but you could do a lot worse. I mean you're already going with a hobbit at the PG position. :)

wiggins-cover.jpg

Poor dude

First 9 point, 2 rebound 0 assist mediocre game he has and the media is going to eviscerate him.

They've ballooned this guy's hype so high, there's no way he's going to be able to match it.

I mean...
BWG4-GeCYAA__RY.jpg

...Really?

DominoKid

nah he'll be fine. Self will put him in better spots to look good than Roy did for Barnes. plus he's better than Barnes.

in other news Oubre's dad threw a bomb at Cal explaining the KU decision.

The elder Oubre, who is a special-education teacher, said: “That’s one of the reasons behind choosing Kansas. Coach Self doesn’t kick you out if you are not ready. I don’t care too much for it (one-and-done) because if you look at it over the last couple drafts, the success of the guys one-and-done is few and far between. Every once in a while you find guys who can make it through. I’m more concerned about his education after maybe a two-year stint or three-year stint. How close is he to that degree and having a greater business mind going into the next level, whatever that is?” added Oubre Sr. “I think the first year in college as well as the pros, maybe two, is a learning curve. That learning curve can be cut considerably if he stayed and developed in college.”

nah he'll be fine. Self will put him in better spots to look good than Roy did for Barnes. plus he's better than Barnes.

in other news Oubre's dad threw a bomb at Cal explaining the KU decision.

Is he wrong tho?

You go to UK knowing that before you've even touched the court Cal's already recruiting your replacement and your replacement's replacement.

Fjordson

Kind of a lame sentiment. Some of our most important players during Cal's time at UK have been non-freshmen. Our latest commitment and main PG recruit for 2014 isn't exactly lighting up the mock drafts. And is Kansas really that far behind at this point with one and dones? Especially if they get a few more 2014 recruits like Cliff Alexander or Myles Turner.

And a three-year stint in college for Kelly Oubre? What? I'll eat my UK t-shirt if Kelly Oubre is in college for three years.

Anyways, I'm starting to feel a bit doom and gloom about this year's class. Which is probably overreacting, but at this point I'm expecting Blackmon, Booker, Stanley Johnson and Trey Lyles to all go elsewhere (especially Stanley Johnson).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
At this point I'd be shocked if Booker ends up anywhere but UK. Sounds like Michigan might still have a shot at Blackmon though.

Fjordson

At this point I'd be shocked if Booker ends up anywhere but UK. Sounds like Michigan might still have a shot at Blackmon though.
There's a thread on UK's Rivals board saying that Blackmon is announcing on the 22nd. Not sure if it's been confirmed or not, don't see a quote from Blackmon himself.

Kind of a lame sentiment. Some of our most important players during Cal's time at UK have been non-freshmen. Our latest commitment and main PG recruit for 2014 isn't exactly lighting up the mock drafts. And is Kansas really that far behind at this point with one and dones? Especially if they get a few more 2014 recruits like Cliff Alexander or Myles Turner.

And a three-year stint in college for Kelly Oubre? What? I'll eat my UK t-shirt if Kelly Oubre is in college for three years.

Anyways, I'm starting to feel a bit doom and gloom about this year's class. Which is probably overreacting, but at this point I'm expecting Blackmon, Booker, Stanley Johnson and Trey Lyles to all go elsewhere (especially Stanley Johnson).

How's Terrence Jones/Doron Lamb doing doe.

But yeah Self's track record with dudes like Selby and Henry hasn't been great either.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think its less the one and dones at UK and more the Kyle Wiljters and other players that were "encouraged to leave" I have zero idea if any of that is true, but it is a rep that Cal has.

Fjordson

I think its less the one and dones at UK and more the Kyle Wiljters and other players that were "encouraged to leave" I have zero idea if any of that is true, but it is a rep that Cal has.
Yeah, I've heard that also, but I just don't get where that comes from. Transfers all over the place in college bball, but when it's at UK it's somehow a special case. I mean I'm not in Calipari's head so I can't say for a fact that he's never truly wanted someone to leave, but I just don't see it anymore than at other schools.

Wiltjer was a terrible fit in Calipari's offense and struggled constantly on defense since Calipari never plays zone. He's now gone to a school that fits his game better, playing with kids he knows from the Canadian national team close to home. To me it seems like he put himself in a better situation on a team that's a better fit for him than UK. I have a hard time believing it was because Cal didn't want him.

(I know I am fairly biased here as a UK fan :lol but just sayin' what I see)

Top Bottom