• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014.5, A Half Year In Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Ninos du Brasil - Novos Mysterios - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52xU7DS9AC8

cover_ndb-420x215.jpg

Actress - Ghettoville - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7q08-nEH8

5021392853192.jpg

Maxwell August Croy & Sean McCann - I - https://soundcloud.com/studentsofdecay/sets/maxwell-august-croy-and-sean

333.jpg

HiResDes

I tried making a list of all of the albums I liked already and it was around 50, so I decided that this was impossible for me.

Ah, don't feel like you need to list everything you liked this year. Just throw up what you think people would be interested in hearing and might not otherwise. That's kind of what I went for, although I'm guessing most people will hear the Angel Olsen and Madgibbs records in some for or another regardless of this thread.

I was actually kind of disappointed with Ghettoville :( hasn't clicked yet. Some really good beats regardless.

Servbot24

Banned
I was actually kind of disappointed with Ghettoville :( hasn't clicked yet. Some really good beats regardless.

Once you embrace the listener responsibility it imbues upon you and embrace the freefall of being being pushed off of an informational edge it's hard to ever want to land on regular music again.

Fuck beats btw. Actress is sound.

A beats a beat breh. If Actress showed up to the beat invitational with some work cut from Ghettoville he'd kill it. That's all the criteria I need.

Going to give a lot of stuff recommended by folks a listen early next week after I've settled in at the new place. Here's some other stuff that I've enjoyed this year in the meantime. Focused more on what hasn't been posted yet. Will throw up more later.
-----

Chimurenga Renaissance - riZe vadZimu riZe

#blackpower #problack #afrocentric #saveourcommunity #blacktwitter #bombastic #shabazzpalaces #LeseMajestygonnakilllaterthisyear

The B.A.D. Is So Good | soundcloud / Youtube
Nobody Think Nomo | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

Young Fathers - Dead

#britishhiphop #heavilyelectronic #amazingliveperformance #divisive

War | soundcloud / Youtube
Get Up | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

SOHN - Tremors

#vocallayers #r&b #greatproduction #likeaweakerlessambitiousmedula #banksalbumwillbebetter

The Wheel | soundcloud / Youtube
Bloodflows | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

Movement - Movement

#r&b #smooth #chill #sensual #electronic #kindasumsupthemodernr&bvibe

Ivory | soundcloud / Youtube
Us | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

SZA - Z

#chill #chill #chill #chill #wheretheweedat #chill

Babylon | soundcloud / Youtube
Warm Winds | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

Evian Christ - Waterfall

#hiphop #dark #industrial #piercing #metallic #roomforgrowth

Waterfall | soundcloud / Youtube
Propeller | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

Yumi Zouma - EP

#airy #loose #beachvibe #chill #fun #summer #pictureindiegirlsonbeachcruiserswithkneehighsocks

A Long Walk Home for Parted Lovers | soundcloud / Youtube
The Brae | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

Nocando - Jimmy The Burnout

#grownmanrap #fatherproblems #maritalissues #dopeproduction #jackofalltradesflow

Little Green Monsters | soundcloud / Youtube
Never Looked Better | soundcloud / Youtube

-----

YG - My Krazy Life

#compton #bompton #mustardonthebeat #groovy #fuckyointrospection #shouldnotbeasgoodasitis

Really Be (Smokin N Drinkin) | soundcloud / Youtube
I Just Wanna Party | soundcloud / Youtube

man I can't keep up with new music anymore. I just don't have it in me to sift through 300 albums when I'm nonplussed about the majority of em. also is it just me or have these lists boiled down to "lemme find the most obscure thing I can?" I'm probably just out of the loop

anyways, according to foobar I've heard about 50 albums from this year. here are some things I've liked that haven't been mentioned as much
owls - two
sve - are we there
actress - ghettoville
gigi masin compilation (probably the best thing I've heard this year)
sun kil moon - benji
marissa nadler - july
that new how to dress well is solid too

lots of great reissues this year... killing my wallet

excited for rustie lp2, taylor swift lp5, that Ka ep & album, and nadia oh (please)

Once you embrace the listener responsibility it imbues upon you and embrace the freefall of being being pushed off of an informational edge it's hard to ever want to land on regular music again.

Fuck beats btw. Actress is sound.

lmao servy you crazy

also is it just me or have these lists boiled down to "lemme find the most obscure thing I can?" I'm probably just out of the loop

Nah, just an example of how much good music is not only available but accessible these days. That and the specificity of genres kind of tagteam to promote small discoveries that you can fall in love with and show other people. It's wonderful. When Des drops an EP or a tape in GAF Hop and it's fire all the way through, or you go to an art gallery and a dude is just killing an analog set with twenty people watching, the world really demonstrates how open and inviting and exciting it is for our generation. And then you get to pass that on to other people? So dope.

Servbot24

Banned
A beats a beat breh. If Actress showed up to the beat invitational with some work cut from Ghettoville he'd kill it. That's all the criteria I need.

yea that's cool and all but tbh it sounds like a terrible experience to me, i'd rather isolate and look into the music and see what he's painting with it, that's just the way i do it though

I'll jack your format
GzIIGodz - G-Side
35MlAiG.jpg

#hometownheroes #southernhiphop #ridetothis
Bassheadz
2004 (video)
---
So It Goes - Ratking
ratking_soitgoes.jpg

#hiphop #tribalrevival #iactuallykindafuckwithpuertoricanjudotho
So It Goes
Remove Ya
---
Mettalic Butterfly - Princess Nokia
artworks-000079221213-0187pm-t200x200.jpg

#triphop #internet #noliepuertoricanjudoiskindamyshit
Cybiko (video)
Hands Up
---
Nabuma Rubberband - Little Dragon
Little-Dragon-Nabuma-Rubberband-300x300.jpg

#yukimiwhyyousodamnfine #r&b #thattitletracktho
Nabuma Rubberband
Pink Cloud
---
IVRY - 100s
100s-IVRY1-300x300.jpg

#permgamebetterthanyounghumma #tooshort #pimpin
Fuckin Around
Ten Freaky Hoes
---
Cilvia Demo - Isiah Rashad
homepage_large.b4060f75.jpg

#iridetomodestprettyoften #hiphop #southern
Modest
Heavenly Father
---
New Wave 2 - Ibn Inglor
NW2COVER-300x300.png

#yeezusbeforeyeezy #chicago #antithesistodrill
Damaged
Chambers
--
The God Complex - GoldLink
goldlink-the-god-complex-album-stream-0-300x300.jpg

#vaivaivaivaivaivaivai #virginia #braggadociorapswithdopeproduction
Fuck Being Polite
Divine ft Kali Uchis(shes dope too)
---
Hotel Valentine - Cibo Matto
140211-cibo-matto.jpg

#iwaitedthreeyearstoheartenthfloorghostgirl #asiftheyneverbrokeup #2spooky4meindiepop
MFN (video)
Tenth Floor Ghost Girl

On that note, I gotta listen to more non-hip-hop records. I still haven't gotten around to the new Tune Yards, Phantogram, St. Vincent or Chromeo records yet.

Eric WK

I haven't listened to as much this year as I normally do, but my top five so far (with the first two being among my favorite albums of the past few years):

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
Real Estate - Atlas

HiResDes

man I can't keep up with new music anymore. I just don't have it in me to sift through 300 albums when I'm nonplussed about the majority of em. also is it just me or have these lists boiled down to "lemme find the most obscure thing I can?" I'm probably just out of the loop

anyways, according to foobar I've heard about 50 albums from this year. here are some things I've liked that haven't been mentioned as much
owls - two
sve - are we there
actress - ghettoville
gigi masin compilation (probably the best thing I've heard this year)
sun kil moon - benji
marissa nadler - july
that new how to dress well is solid too

lots of great reissues this year... killing my wallet

excited for rustie lp2, taylor swift lp5, that Ka ep & album, and nadia oh (please)

lmao servy you crazy

You haven't even seen my list yet

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Been listening to a lot of older stuff I missed, but Conditions put out a new album, and it's ok. A lot of people really like it for the acoustic songs, but I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't that much new material. Covers and acoustic versions of their older songs.
1402570595_qp7jvl3l.jpg

Make Your Art

burgervan

I'm going to have to add The War On Drugs to my list, now that I've edited out the completely forgettable ambient passages.

omgkitty

After listening to these some more, they both deserve to be up there, especially the new Death Grips. Definitely gets better with more listens.

death-grips-niggas-on-the-moon-bjork.jpg
13207-here-and-nowhere-else.jpg

Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else

overcast

Yumi Zouma - EP

#airy #loose #beachvibe #chill #fun #summer #pictureindiegirlsonbeachcruiserswithkneehighsocks
Awesome. Should be great summer music. Thanks Pickles.

Bumping this thread because it doesn't hurt.

I've loved these three albums:
St. Vincent - Self Titled
Right between noise rock and pop. Funky rhythms. A lot going on. Sample.
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Dark-ish, deep voiced folk/blues. Sample.
Tune-Yards - Nikki Nack
Crazy, fun, unique pop. Off the wall like their last release. Sample.

Co-Sign on a lot of rap releases here too.
Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Ratking - So It Goes
Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
Goldlink - The God Complex Sample that isn't on the album listen!

Not sure I liked Liars, which was a surprise for me given the praise I heard of it. Still have to go through a few albums more and more, and this thread has provided inspiration. I usually scratch the surface and GAF finds the rest for me.

Oh yeah, FKA Twigs and Shabazz Palaces albums in the next two months. Banks in September. Jessie Ware new album, hopefully Kendrick, and maybe Frank Ocean will release something more interesting than Channel Orange... Maybe?

Swerving a bit and changing direction here. Making a few Sounds of 2014 playlists. Splitting categories into separate vibes and head spaces. Trying to clock these in around 40 minutes or so. Here's the first one.

-----

Category 1: The All Times Good Times Super Vibes and Bops Emporium

#groovy #sensual #smooth #modernr&b #holdsomeonetight #fireplacejams #dimthelights

-----

Tracklist:

1. Glass Animals - Gooey

2. Kelela - The High

3. Spazzkid - Promise (tofubeats remix)

4. Black Atlass - The Rose

5. Movement - Control You

6. Jessy Lanza - You and Me

7. dd elle - love only me

8. Tei Shi - Nevermind the End (Lil Sad remix)

9. Wild Beasts - Mecca (SOHN remix)

10. Just Friends - Don't Tell Me

-----

Noticeably absent: FKA Twigs - Two Weeks. Unavailable on Soundcloud and routinely taken down by management. It is what it is.

Next up: probably some deep, vibey, surrendering your physical self to become one with the beating heart of the universe type shit.

Futureman

best so far for me...

-Against Me! "Transgender Dysphoria Blues"
-Malkmus and the Jick's "Wig Out at Jagbags"
-Hard Girls "A Thousand Surfaces"
-Joyce Manor "Never Hungover Again"
-Frankie Cosmos "Zentropy"
-Mac Demarco "Salad Days"
-Cloud Nothings "Here and Nowhere Else"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom