• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

riflen

Serious Sam 3: BFE

14168315093_4b81d11c7d_o.png

14125075606_13de56ec79_o.png

xr_3da.exe_dx9_201405p2kv9.jpg

Funny thing : Gedosato crashes when used alone, but it doesn't when used with SweetFX (at least with my injector I haven't tried the regular one)... Go figure...

I just saw a video and thought "Oh so it's just like bump mapping or whatever" but then they actually turned the POM on and I went "Holy shit".

How rough is the performance cost? Why aren't more dev's using it?

Not sure.

If I had to guess it's because it's fairly performance intensive and you probably (again guessing) have to set up your art assets to take advantage of it. So for anything that was a last gen game/multi-plat it wasn't worth doing. Hopefully we'll see more of it this gen.

I'm sure others would know better.

Durante

Not sure.

If I had to guess it's because it's fairly performance intensive and you probably (again guessing) have to set up your art assets to take advantage of it. So for anything that was a last gen game/multi-plat it wasn't worth doing. Hopefully we'll see more of it this gen.

I'm sure others would know better.
I think the assets are one major reason. It's not like a screen-space effect that you can just throw in for an improved port, you need height maps of your textures which are designed for POM.

riflen

I just saw a video and thought "Oh so it's just like bump mapping or whatever" but then they actually turned the POM on and I went "Holy shit".

It can have a brilliant effect on an object or surface.

13968562577_7a370358f2_o.png

It's like bump-mapping, except the details it adds can occlude objects and light, allowing it to cast a shadow and making it seem much more realistic. The performance cost of the mapping itself seems to be negligible on modern GPUs. I expect we'll see more of it as time goes on.

elyetis

It's sad how I now have more POM in Minecraft ( modding ) that what we actually see in AAA games ( outside of crytek ).
Heck if I could I would add POM myself to some of the Dark Souls 2 textures.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It can have a brilliant effect on an object or surface.

13968562577_7a370358f2_o.png

It's like bump-mapping, except the details it adds can occlude objects and light, allowing it to cast a shadow and making it seem much more realistic. The performance cost of the mapping itself seems to be negligible on modern GPUs. I expect we'll see more of it as time goes on.

One big difference I noticed in POM is that there is actual depth added, not just pseudo depth that breaks at sharp angles.

POM seems like it would be incredible in 3D.

BONKERS

4K shots courtesy of GeDoSaTo. So clean! Especially for a game with such a Shitty AA solution.

ieijEc7jf9tqq.png

i4bL4c0zBBfal.png

Are you using downsampling only? That would explain why there's still aliasing. With the built in FXAA at that resolution, edges should be perfect. But doesn't seem to be the case.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No more than three consecutive posts of the same game from the same person and 2 pictures per post. Why do you people force me to be the eternal dick about rules?

GavinUK86

No more than three consecutive posts of the same game from the same person and 2 pictures per post. Why do you people force me to be the eternal dick about rules?

That's weird, I've always, always, posted three at a time because I swear it used to say 3 in the rules. Have I been reading 2 as 3 all this time? Wow. I need new glasses.

Damn that IS beautiful. The game looks pretty cute and endearing, is it good?

It's so beautiful! It's really fun too. I bought it on iOS for the iPad a few years back but I only just noticed it's come to PC. There's no combat as such, when you encounter a "bad guy" you have to chase it down, jump on it's back, and pluck the flowers that spring up so you can use them for your school project. It's different but very endearing.

Top Bottom