• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Xyber

Someone needs to make a camera/screenshot hack for Watch Dogs.

Seeing that same pose in every pic is getting annoying, even a couple days in.

Does it really look that bad when you aren't snapping with the DOF on as he reaches for his phone?

For daylight shots I would say it's almost needed to make a cool shot.

When the sun starts to set is when you can get some really great shots and I don't think the DoF is needed there. My shot above was just a little test to see how good I could edit the screen in gimp to get rid of a big square in the middle when you bring up the phone. I was pleased enough to post it here.

But yes, the game really needs a free cam hack.

frangomez

Neo Member
nZMObWA.jpg

t4JfE0h.jpg

zbarron

Oh shit, this out already!?

Looks way better than I thought, too. Was not expecting 1080p ability.
I just played it for a little bit but there were no graphical settings I could see, the game is locked at 30fps, and is not full 16x9 as you can see. I tried taking those shots at 4K but while 3840x2160@30hz was selectable it still showed up as 1080p. That might be me though. I just set that downsampling resolution and haven't tested it outside of that game.

Also I played this on my 120" screen so the textures in this game were quite jarring. I got used to it quickly and do find low polygon, unfiltered textures charming but it may turn some people off.

Wanted to give graphical impressions here but don't mean to turn anyone off. It's a quick loading smooth port and I wouldn't mind unwinding with this game sometime.

WD

watch_dogs_2014_05_27_17_35_44_40_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7k0vq2.jpg

watch_dogs_2014_05_27_22_06_32_02_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7k0vqh.jpg

Same scene from the reveal trailer where he exits the club. Watching the old footage is like night and day; the lens effects, volumetric light, reflections, dynamic lights, etc... This could've been a showcase title for PC if they didn't gut all the effects due to consoles. What a shame.

Spazznid

No shopping or dsampling here.

i4ixy1ONHWESs.jpg

Troll? Shopping? Do you see any screenshots here that are "Shopped"? And Downsampling is a form off AA for most. I think you came in expecting jealousy, but really it sounds like you are misinformed.

Also, if that's true, you picked a very bland scene from a game that only rivals its PC counterparts with the expert use of already existing shaders. You also uploaded a compressed shot.

I doubt that you could have accidentally posted in the wrong thread considering your comment, so my conclusion is that you were trying to prove some sort of point. One which is completely lost on PC enthusiasts, because if they've been in this thread long enough, they'd know what "Shopped" and Downsampling are...

Back on topic,

14101145419_e72c8e8ec0_o_d.png

14101195010_3e7b500716_o_d.png

Troll? Shopping?

I doubt that you could have accidentally posted in the wrong thread considering your comment, so my conclusion is that you were trying to prove some sort of point.

This was my conclusion as well but I tried to keep my snide comments at bay. Though it's not the first some someone has brought Infamous to this thread to stir up trouble.

I feel as though that shot was posted in some vain attempt to say "pffft, we dont need your downsampling over here in console land" But all I see is compression and shader aliasing. Really stands out among so many clean shots in this thread.

vilmer_

Troll? Shopping? Do you see any screenshots here that are "Shopped"? And Downsampling is a form off AA for most. I think you came in expecting jealousy, but really it sounds like you are misinformed.

Also, if that's true, you picked a very bland scene from a game that only rivals its PC counterparts with the expert use of already existing shaders. You also uploaded a compressed shot.

I doubt that you could have accidentally posted in the wrong thread considering your comment, so my conclusion is that you were trying to prove some sort of point. One which is completely lost on PC enthusiasts, because if they've been in this thread long enough, they'd know what "Shopped" and Downsampling are...

Back on topic,

14101145419_e72c8e8ec0_o_d.png

14101195010_3e7b500716_o_d.png

That's a raw captured bitmap. Wrong thread? Sure, but carry on :) I'll find the other thread. One day.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's a raw captured bitmap. Wrong thread? Sure, but carry on :) I'll find the other thread. One day.

That's definitely not a raw BMP bud. Tiny file size and it's a JPG file, which means it's a compressed jpeg.

If you do have a raw BMP file, I'd appreciate if you could convert it to PNG (which is lossless but much smaller file size) and upload it somewhere because I'd love to see some lossless PS4 images.

Are you on your phone?

No I'm on a desktop with the common sense to right click -> copy image URL. This is the image you posted:

http://i7.minus.com/i4ixy1ONHWESs.jpg

What likely happened is you uploaded a BMP onto a site that likes to punish people for uploading BMPs by converting them to really compressed JPGs. This is because BMPs are bloated and really not suitable for posting on the internet. It's best to convert them to PNGs if you really don't want any quality loss.

Looks fine to me, what the fuck are you guys doing.
url-17.gif

Regardless of that argument, most of us here know for damn sure that we are posting PC game shots in mainly unplayable settings.

So yeah, rave all you want about PC's and their quality but the reality is, we play the game in one setting and take screenshots in another.

Which is good and bad. Good because it's fun to be a virtual, gaming photographer at times (it's also handy to simply take screens as you progress through to completion of a game for memory/experience sake). Bad because it likely helps sell copies of games based on amazing quality that no one could ever play a game at.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Regardless of that argument, most of us here know for damn sure that we are posting PC game shots in mainly unplayable settings.

So yeah, rave all you want about PC's and their quality but the reality is, we play the game in one setting and take screenshots in another.

Which is good and bad. Good because it's fun to be a virtual, gaming photographer at times (it's also handy to simply take screens as you progress through to completion of a game for memory/experience sake). Bad because it likely helps sell copies of games based on amazing quality that no one could ever play a game at.

That is absolutely not the case for all posters and often even the bullshot quality people post are at playable framerates, like 30-40fps.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
That is absolutely not the case for all posters and often even the bullshot quality people post are at playable framerates, like 30-40fps.
I agree with this, a lot of the bullshots I post are playable at 30-60fps. There are exceptions of course like WolfenTNO for example - it turns into a slideshow after I run out of VRAM when maxing out AA (16x) and res (2040p).

14287451444_084eddc8dd_o.png

14287457354_5728663288_o.png

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Jim, too much contrast, or sharpness, and or both? Iirc, I think it was your old sweetfx settings that am using for those Dishonored screenies. I like how it looks a lot.

Edit: NVM, edited your post.

Jim, too much contrast, or sharpness, and or both? Iirc, I think it was your old sweetfx settings that am using for those Dishonored screenies. I like how it looks a lot.

Edit: NVM, edited your post.

My original sweetfx settings for Dishonored were hot garbage. Back when I thought crushed blacks were cool (they're not).

Top Bottom