• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

DD

iKOzV7qedPJLg.jpg

iboyT5XUHdYjiD.jpg

I'm trying to relax and browse some awesome screenshots, then we have a full blown moron come into the thread to push his idiotic agenda that no one gives a fuck about.

Fantastic.

Moron and "his" agenda are actually a lot of peoples thoughts. Either way that strip club looks like shit and only served a purpose to titillate.

I dont want to play mordor yet because my 4890 is very long in the tooth and im waiting on upgrading. the waiting is painful.

UnrealEck

This game has nice volumetric lighting and the smoke effects catch it nicely too.

al406fxm.jpg

al354cyz.jpg

Seems like the kind of atmospheric experience that screenshots can't capture.

But IS IT GOOD?

Voice acting is pretty damn bad during gameplay. For some reason, the cutscenes have good voice acting even though it's the same actors.
Atmosphere is great. The sounds in the game are spot on straight out of the movie.

UnrealEck

I don't like the arien. Think it looks a bit crappy tbh. I don't think I've really seen a game do the Xenomorph justice. They look kind of slimey in the movies and I think their teeth are metalic. But in this, they just look dull grey like they'd have trouble biting through a sandwich.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Just some technical observations. Motion blur disabled causes an ugly ghosting effect while turning, most visible on hand with lit flare, recommend keeping it enabled until it's fixed. Standard SSAO, and SMAA T1x are notched higher than HDAO and SMAA T2x in settings, not sure why since both of the latter demands more performance (though am not sure about the smaa settings) and looks better on my end. It's a godsend being able to disable CA and adjust (or disable) film grain. The prerendered cutscenes are low quality, it can be jarring going from in-game to prerender, I wished they used real time instead.

Quick pic, just driver downsampled from 2560x1600:

15440189216_658671707e_o.jpg

Edit; second pic didn't seem to upload properly, deleted it for now.

Blizzard

Banned
Chromatic aberration seems like it's becoming a thing for this gen. I noticed even Bloodborne had a hint of it when I tried the Alpha.
Not that I mind, so long as it's subtle.
My immediate thought on seeing that was "CA" followed by "Is this UE4?".

Apparently it's an inhouse engine, and I just confused it with UE4 because of the effect. :p

You can disable it in the options. Same for film grain.
Kudos to the developers for letting you disable it.

*edit* That Sherlock Holmes game looks like it has some interesting environments. Thanks for sharing!

glad i'm not the only one annoyed by this.

a beautiful game [in ways], with some great lighting / vistas / skies - which are all ruined by some horribly obvious colour-banding...
I used to endlessly seek a solution for banding when I messed around with my own stuff like UDK games, until I realized it truly is impossible to solve because it is a limitation of 24-bit displays.

If you put two giant rectangles next to each other, differing by only one hex R, G, or B value, I think on my monitor you could still see the difference as a visible band. The only way to avoid that is by introducing noise or textures so you can't see the banding because of the distraction. Or, possibly, make the colors so bright that I cannot see a difference. Below 100 R / G / B values I can.

It kind of makes me want to try some crazy high-color monitor if such a thing exists some time, just to see what it would be like to have more colors than my eyes can distinguish.

Top Bottom