• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Branduil

God I hate flopping. It is ruining the modern nba. Faking contact should never be a part of how to succeed in basketball. I feel like the nba is close to reaching soccer levels of flopping for calls.

Wasn't there some flopping rule change this year? Flopping should be an automatic 2 shot foul.

There are fines for flopping but naturally they're never applied to the actual worst violators.

overcast

Yeah I am telling you that, he draws contact. Or in other words, is fouled. That results in free throws.

I'm not even saying anything crazy like rockets are championship contenders. I'm saying Harden is one of the best players in the league, that's not a stretch that's the closest thing to fact we know thus far in the season. I'm being fair about this, you guys have a personal issue with a basketball player. Probably because he is good.

Pathos

Banned
Yup, I can't stand flopping. Such a cheap, amateurish, bullshit move that just pisses me off. It's sad that these all stars have to resort to using such nonsense in order to help their team win.

watershed

Banned
Yeah I am telling you that, he draws contact. Or in other words, is fouled. That results in free throws.

I'm not even saying anything crazy like rockets are championship contenders. I'm saying Harden is one of the best players in the league, that's not a stretch that's the closest thing to fact we know thus far in the season. I'm being fair about this, you guys have a personal issue with a basketball player. Probably because he is good.

Harden is good, no doubt about it. In the modern nba he is currently great with room to grow. But he does not deserve all the calls he gets, not even close. He is a flopper/faker whatever you want to call it. Saying that doesn't deny his skill as a player but a part of how he scores so many points is by driving/jumping into people, which shouldn't be a foul call, or faking contact.

Fjordson

I think Harden is great, but he isn't fun to watch. Get into the lane, seek contact, shoot FT's. Plan B: step back jumper. Rinse and repeat.

Jonm1010

Banned
God I hate flopping. It is ruining the modern nba. Faking contact should never be a part of how to succeed in basketball. I feel like the nba is close to reaching soccer levels of flopping for calls.

Wasn't there some flopping rule change this year? Flopping should be an automatic 2 shot foul.

I ended up finding some related 11 minute video of Kobe's greatest crazy shots and it was amazing seeing how much contact defenders were allowed to get away with 5-10 years ago. Half of hose shots wouldn't even be on a list today because players don't feel they have to play through that type of contact because refs call the most tricky tack shit today. Even in the closing moments of games. Harden comes of age in that era and he would be a forgotten starter. Today he is a an MVP frontrunner thanks to the leagues flop friendly refereeing.

overcast

I think Harden is great, but he isn't fun to watch. Get into the lane, seek contact, shoot FT's. Plan B: step back jumper. Rinse and repeat.
Perfectly reasonable not to care for his game.

Hopefully Harden can flop his way out of the first round of the playoffs and make more of you hate him, cause I'll be much happier :]

fertygo

I ended up finding some related 11 minute video of Kobe's greatest crazy shots and it was amazing seeing how much contact defenders were allowed to get away with 5-10 years ago. Half of hose shots wouldn't even be on a list today because players don't feel they have to play through that type of contact because refs call the most tricky tack shit today. Even in the closing moments of games. Harden comes of age in that era and he would be a forgotten starter. Today he is a an MVP frontrunner thanks to the leagues flop friendly refereeing.

The free throw rate isn't much higher now than back then tho, and tbh with all the complaint about PG-SG that driving at will and getting free throw because rules change, those kind of player not enough to make you win in playoff, much complete team and 1st option with more well rounded skill-set is always go further in competition.. So sometime its very exaggerated issue for me.

Soonri

Yup, I can't stand flopping. Such a cheap, amateurish, bullshit move that just pisses me off. It's sad that these all stars have to resort to using such nonsense in order to help their team win.

I blame Wade in '06 when he realized he could get into the lane at will against the Mavs and he could get anything

I really hope we don't end up with Brandan Wright and a Dallas first for Rondo.

I hope yall do :)

To be fair, I really like Wright and he almost always plays great for us when he's out there. His timely lobs just create such efficient offense with the reserves, but what the Mavs really need is a damn starting PG. I'm not sure if that's Rondo anymore, but I know he's going to be looked at during the Summer by the Mavs regardless.

Two Words

I'd actually hate to see us lose Wright. I don't know how great a fit Rondo would be here as once he is a terrible shooter. Our guards need to be good shooters to spread the floor. This is a team aleeady has Barea to create off the dribble. What exactly is Rondo going to bring that we are significantly missing? I can only think of perimeter defense.

Even if you take out ALL of James Harden's made free throws over the past 10 games he's still averaging 20.5 points per game. And thats not counting his 6.8 assists per game, or his 2 steals per game (which is #4 in the league and has helped out the rockets tremendously in some close game situations). I'm not saying Harden exaggerating contact to get more calls isn't a bad thing, the league should definitley look at this as he has a large lead over anyone else in the league in total FTA (although Westbrook would probably be close with his 9.4 FTA per game if he didn't miss a bunch of games), I'm just saying that Harden isn't a bad player, he's actually still a very good one, even when you disregard all of his free throws entirely.

Tom Penny

I really hope we don't end up with Brandan Wright and a Dallas first for Rondo.

They aren't getting much. Throw in Devin Harris and 1st and get it done rather than get nothing. It not going to change win totals one way or another dramatically at all. I don't think the Celtics have been better with Rondo this year..mainly because it's 4 on 5 offense in the 4th.

Emwitus

I'd actually hate to see us lose Wright. I don't know how great a fit Rondo would be here as once he is a terrible shooter. Our guards need to be good shooters to spread the floor. This is a team aleeady has Barea to create off the dribble. What exactly is Rondo going to bring that we are significantly missing? I can only think of perimeter defense.

Uhm passing? Barea isn't even close to rondo level in that regard

Two Words

They aren't getting much. Throw in Devin Harris and 1st and get it done rather than get nothing. It not going to change win totals one way or another dramatically at all. I don't think the Celtics have been better with Rondo this year..mainly because it's 4 on 5 offense in the 4th.

I'd rather see what the Rockets or Kings would be willing to offer.

Tom Penny

Barea is second in the league in assist:turnover ratio, only behind Chris Paul, at 4.67:1.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/assistTurnoverRatio

Dallas has 2 PGs in the top 10 in that category. Dallas is not short on veteran PGs that can pass. Watching Mavs games this season should make it obvious that they haven't had problems passing the ball.

I don't know if Rondo makes the Mavs better. What I do know is that he's a vastly superior passer to anyone on the Mavs and would make Chandler much better offensively.

Two Words

I don't know if Rondo makes the Mavs better. What I do know is that he's a vastly superior passer to anyone on the Mavs and would make Chandler much better offensively.
Dallas already leads the league on dunks due to lob passes to Chandler and Wrightt. This is not a team lacking guards with passing ability. Rondo isn't some holy grail of passing that cannot be touched. And his lacking of outside shooting would allow teams to cheat on defense. Dallas is largely pick and roll, and players will always go under the screen against Rondo and let him shoot.

"Adding to @ESPNSteinLine report on Rondo from yesterday. Sources tell ESPN the Lakers also offered Boston multiple picks & Nash for Rondo" - @RamonaShelburne

Branduil

The Lakers trading multiple picks for Rondo would be an amusing mistake. Not sure why they think he'd re-sign with their current dysfunctional mess.

Swaggy P for rondo or the lolakers can get out

Lol offering the corpse of Steve Nash

Nash is just a body to make the numbers work, the C's just want draft picks or young controllable players. Swaggy P is neither of those and doesn't really help the rebuild, the real problem is I don't think the Lakers have any picks to trade. They should give us Randle.

"Adding to @ESPNSteinLine report on Rondo from yesterday. Sources tell ESPN the Lakers also offered Boston multiple picks & Nash for Rondo" - @RamonaShelburne
Why.. why even bother putting nash on the block. lmao He added nothing of value to the proposal. Heat should try to get on this.. but heat has nothing of what celtics wants which i presume is high picks and more young guys.

Why.. why even bother putting nash on the block. lmao He added nothing of value to the proposal. Heat should try to get on this.. but heat has nothing of what celtics wants which i presume is high picks and more young guys.

Nash is an expiring contract so it'd be purely to make the money equal. Happens all the time in trades.

Dysfunctional Lakers has been incredibly entertaining these last 3 years. I applaud Jim Buss' work. To this day I still don't get why he alienated Phil to the point where the mere mention of "triangle" gets you fired.

Also, Rondo trade makes no sense. He's a really good player but not a franchise player that will attract other talented players nor is he good enough to build around (if that were the case, Boston would've done so already).

jbug617

Banned
Dallas in the lead for Rondo
@WojYahooNBA: Dallas is emerging as the frontrunner in pursuit of a deal to acquire Boston's Rajon Rondo, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Also this
@WojYahooNBA: Lakers and Knicks declined to be part of three-way deals that could've sent Rondo elsewhere, league sources tell Yahoo.

edit: Woj says the Dallas deal would look like Wright, Crowder and a 1st for Rondo.

"In Rondo talks, Boston and Dallas discussing package including Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder and a first-round pick, sources tell Yahoo." - @WojYahooNBA

Is this really all Ainge can get for Rondo?

jbug617

Banned
"In Rondo talks, Boston and Dallas discussing package including Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder and a first-round pick, sources tell Yahoo." - @WojYahooNBA

he is going to be a free agent and the 2 bigger teams (Lakers and Knicks) will go after him in free agency. It might just be a rental for the Mavs.

Branduil

Unless Houston blows Boston away with a better offer, probably. There are only a handful of teams which really need PG help right now, and Rondo having a down year and being a free agent in the summer hurts his value.

Top Bottom