• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

The Gold or nothing attitude isn't widespread. Canada has been seriously into international hockey since '72 and we've taken some tough losses along the way. Disappointing, but enlightening. Now nothing is taken for granted, and the majority are well aware that gold is very far from guaranteed.

It's such a great tournament, and I'd say at least the experienced fans have learned not to be so butthurt about any losses.

Entropia

No One Remembers
RUS lines: Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin, Tarasenko-Anisimov-Kulemin, Radulov-Svitov-Kovalchuk, Popov-Tereschenko-Tikhonov. Datsyuk didn't practice.

Hnng Tarasenko on the second line.

So the guy who didn't make the team originally because of an injury is gonna be on the first line? :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My NHL GAF brethren will tar and feather me for this, but I HATE the "the only sport that matters is hockey/the only gold that matters is hockey" mentality that pervades this country.

I fucking love the Olympics and don't hold one sport above another or value one medal over another. If Canada happens to win 15 golds but no medal for men's hockey, it's still a goddamn great Olympics for Canada.

I still remember Vancouver, where we already had 13 golds and our best Olympics ever and people were saying it was all for nothing if we didn't beat US for gold in men's hockey. Fuck that. Seeing the Dufour-Lapointe sisters win or Hamelin defend this morning? That shit is just as good as winning for hockey.

Parch

Those player losses for Sweden just might be the difference. Still very good, but now their depth is challenged.

Same for Finland. They might have had a decent shot at a medal if healthy.

These tournaments are often about which team finds the chemistry and comes together. When you throw together a bunch of pros at the last minute, those prelim games are important to make sure they come together as a team. It's pretty much disasterous if they don't.

RUS lines: Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin, Tarasenko-Anisimov-Kulemin, Radulov-Svitov-Kovalchuk, Popov-Tereschenko-Tikhonov. Datsyuk didn't practice.

Hnng Tarasenko on the second line.

Ok Russia looks scary as fuck. Pop in Datsyuk with Radulov and Kovalchuk and holy shit.

And I didnt realize Semin was playing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
USA D pairings

Fowler-Suter
McDonagh-Carlson
Shattenkirk-Martin
Orpik-Faulk

PP1: Shattenkirk-Pavelski-Parise-Kesler-Kane

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My NHL GAF brethren will tar and feather me for this, but I HATE the "the only sport that matters is hockey/the only gold that matters is hockey" mentality that pervades this country.

I fucking love the Olympics and don't hold one sport above another or value one medal over another. If Canada happens to win 15 golds but no medal for men's hockey, it's still a goddamn great Olympics for Canada.

I still remember Vancouver, where we already had 13 golds and our best Olympics ever and people were saying it was all for nothing if we didn't beat US for gold in men's hockey. Fuck that. Seeing the Dufour-Lapointe sisters win or Hamelin defend this morning? That shit is just as good as winning for hockey.

I feel the same. I love all Olympics.

Socreges

Banned
So apparently Sportsnet One is airing certain games, like Sweden/Czechs. I didn't know the Olympics were airing on TSN and TSN2, as well.

That OP! What a beauty!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Amen brother.

It'll be fun joining forces with sworn enemies of NHL-GAF for a few weeks.

Guys Jokinen made it to Sochi

IMG_00000408.jpg

I was wondering where everyone in NHL-Gaf went. I'll be rooting for Canada with Duchene on the team, but the Avs have four players on the four best teams, so we could have three players that could medal and that's awesome.

BfahCoLCUAAlsTH.jpg

Bf_8vO3CUAE5jLB.jpg

Also, who are all of these hockey fans who don't post in the NHL bubble?!

Landeskog is an alternate captain for Sweden, pretty awesome with all the good veterans they have. Of course this is in lieu of Henrik Sedin going down with an injury.

kingslunk

You're joking right?

Ignoring the Crosby's, Stamkos' and Ovechkin's of the world.

Toews > Kane

Minus Toews. Kane has more cup wins than all three combined brah. Not only that but his play in the playoffs is phenomenal.

(Also I'm just mainly stirring the US vs Canada pot, yes I know Kane is on a ridiculous team etc etc)

Quick

Banned

You have my sword, Solo.

Parch

There is a very strong possibility that the next olympics will not have NHL players. The PA wants it because the players want it, but the NHL owners do not. There is no profit in it, and messing with the NHL schedule and injury risks right before the playoff run really bugs ownership. They would much rather have off-season World Cups, mainly because they can make good cash from that.

This could be the last time we see pro dream teams for olympic hockey.

ShaneB

There is a very strong possibility that the next olympics will not have NHL players. The PA wants it because the players want it, but the NHL owners do not. There is no profit in it, and messing with the NHL schedule and injury risks right before the playoff run really bugs ownership. They would much rather have off-season World Cups, mainly because they can make good cash from that.

I thought it was confirmed already that they wouldn't be going? edit: A little early to say so, but as Solo said, just as likely they could cave, but I'm sure I read a confirmation somewhere.

Quick

Banned

The PA will make enough of a ruckus about it to get the NHL to sign on for the next Olympics.

Then there's the threat of major European talent moving back to their home countries to get a chance to participate, too.

Ovechkin wasn't shy about making his intentions to move back known if the NHL didn't sign off on it. The KHL already offers a lot of money, too. Kovalchuk retiring in the NHL and promptly moving back to Russia to play for SKA St. Petersburg probably gave a few Russians/Europeans in the league an option in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom