• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Pokémon World Championships | Washington, DC | August 15th-17th | Twitch Stream

Firestorm

2014-worlds-banner.jpg

Official Worlds Mini-Site

The 2014 Pokémon World Championships is this weekend! It will be streamed on Twitch starting with the Opening Ceremonies right up until the end as the best Pokémon players from across the world fly in to Washington, DC for their shot at the title of Pokémon World Champion.

Stream Schedule
This year, the stream is starting right from the beginning with the Opening Ceremonies at 9AM. The video game portion of the event will be casted by Nugget Bridge Co-Founders Evan Latt and Scott Glaza as well as Nugget Bridge Tournament Host Duy Ha and Twitch Personality Justin Flynn.

The Trading Card Game portion of the event will be casted by The Top Cut Co-Founders Kyle Sucevich and Josue Rojano as well as YouTube Personality Joshua Wittenkeller and The Pokémon Company International's Dylan Mayo.

All times in Eastern Daylight Time.

Saturday, August 16th, 2015
9:00 AM - Opening Ceremonies (Mega Kangaskhan was revealed during this last year)
9:30 AM - Round 1 of Swiss begins
3:00 PM - Approximately when elimination rounds (Top 8) should begin
5:00 PM - Video game stream ends to make way for TCG stream

Sunday, August 17th, 2015
9:00 AM - Trading Card Game Top 4 and Finals (3 Age Divisions)
3:00 PM - Video Game Finals - Junior Age Division
4:00 PM - Video Game Finals - Senior Age Division
5:00 PM - Video Game Finals - Masters Age Division
6:00 PM - Closing Ceremonies

Last Chance Qualifier
Weren't able to earn an invitation this year? The Last Chance Qualifier is held at the venue the day before the World Championships kicks off to give four more players an invite. Up to 512 players will face off in a best of three single elimination tournament. The final four remaining will be awarded an invitation to Worlds the next day in what players colloquilly refer to as "The Grinder."

Register online at http://2014.registration.pokemon.com. If there's room left, you can also try coming in to the venue the day of the tournament to to try and snag one of the last spots. Check-in begins at 10:00 AM and finishes at 11:00 AM.

Countries Represented
The followin countries have representatives at the World Championships in the video game this year:
  • Austria
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
Autograph Signings
There will be three Pokémon employees to give signings this year:
  • Junichi Masuda - Game Director, Composer
  • Tsunekazu Ishihara - President, The Pokémon Company
  • Hironobu Yoshida - Artist
You'll be able to line up and have them sign anything you have!

Merchandise
The merchandise shop will have exclusive Pokémon products you can't buy anywhere else ever again. They'll also carry an assortment of goods from the Pokémon Center. The Worlds stuff usually sells out quick so get there very early Saturday morning (before the venue opens).

Spectators
The event is free to come watch and do all the activities -- including side tournaments open to all -- so if you're in the area and a Pokémon fan you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop by! This is the biggest Pokémon event of the year.

Symphonic Evolutions
The Pokémon Symphonic Evolutions concert series will kick off the day before the World Championships in DC . An orchestra will play these arrangements for the first time to an audience comprised of dedicated Pokémon fans from around the globe. If you're going, please do chime in with your impressions!

Coverage
Keep an eye on the official World Championships page as it will be updating throughout the weekend. The Pokémon staff did an amazing job with their Nationals updates and I expect Worlds to be even better.

As a shameless plug, I'll also be doing live updates through my site's Twitter as well as our main page. Our first article is up now which gives you a preview at the weekend's events to come as well as the players you might want to watch for and the stories going into this weekend!

Hope to see some of you there and even more following along at home!

Hero.of.Lgnd

Neo Member
So I know you can't just show up and compete, but I'm gonna be in D.C. this weekend and really wanted to get that Aegislash. Would I be allowed in the building? Or do you have to actually be participating in the tournament?

Excited to watch this, probably will have it on at least in the background throughout the weekend.

So I know you can't just show up and compete, but I'm gonna be in D.C. this weekend and really wanted to get that Aegislash. Would I be allowed in the building? Or do you have to actually be participating in the tournament?

You can show up and watch I think, along with other activities.

Spectators
The event is free to come watch and do all the activities -- including side tournaments open to all -- so if you're in the area and a Pokémon fan you absolutely owe it to yourself to stop by! This is the biggest Pokémon event of the year.

Firestorm

Yep you can pop in and do anything for free.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love the TCG, but nobody around me plays. The nearest group is 30-40 minutes away, and I'm not about to do that. Also, decks can get as expensive as top tier MTG stuff, so that's no fun.

But man do I enjoy it! I'll watch some of the matches later on.

Wanace

Mega slowbro looks pretty cool, wonder how much of a defensive beast it will actually be?

I'm going to miss the top 8s because I have to pick someone up at the airport, disappointing! Looking forward to watching the stream otherwise though!

JoeM86

Mega slowbro looks pretty cool, wonder how much of a defensive beast it will actually be?

I'm going to miss the top 8s because I have to pick someone up at the airport, disappointing! Looking forward to watching the stream otherwise though!

Did you see how it shrugged off a STAB, Tough Claws boosted Dragon Claw from Mega Charizard X? It looks like a decent boost to me.

Firestorm

I love the TCG, but nobody around me plays. The nearest group is 30-40 minutes away, and I'm not about to do that. Also, decks can get as expensive as top tier MTG stuff, so that's no fun.

No way and especially not for decks without Tropical Beach

Wanace

Stream is broken. Battles done already apparently? How difficult could it be? At least show floor footage instead of this horrific music and splash screen.

Is this stream music the chiptune equivalent of elevator muzak? When will we get the floor we need to. For anyone reading this in the future. The stream has been showing this for the past hour:
BvKo1b7IgAAYndw.jpg:large

Renta

Banned
Looks like I didn't miss much. Root canal all finished and I'm on my way home!

I can't feel the right side of my face D;

Regiruler

Isn't Pokemon TCG a cycle system as well? IE cards aren't legal forever?

Korosenai

Im in for the finals tomorrow. I havent played pokemon competitively since earlier this year, so ill he excited to see what kind of pokemon everyone is using now.

Boney

Banned
Oh wow didn't know this was a thing.

I'm pretty busy today so I probably won't have too much time to check it out until later

Wanace

Quite a match with a no mega victory for Gavin. Impressive. If Arash had been more aggressive with foul play he may have won.

I think those matches show why you are provided with notepaper. There were so many sandstorm subsiding survivals (or potential) that keeping track of weather is important.

I wonder if the player stats are a regretted feature or not as the numbers suggested those were secondary carts (I'm not believing those teams only took 3 and 6 eggs, respectively).

Top Bottom