• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014's Game of the Year? Youkai Watch 2

Forkball

Until Smash comes out BUT STILL

Hfez34D.jpg

I finished this game the other day. I must say, I am extremely impressed with this title. Level 5 truly is one of the best if not the best JRPG developer in the past ten years. This is a stand-out title for them, and one of the best on the 3DS.

You may have heard about Youkai/Yokai/Yo-kai Watch 2 recently as the game has nearly sold two million copies in Japan in just a matter of weeks. Quite incredible for a franchise that didn't even exist until last year. But what is it? Is it a Pokemon ripoff? Why has Japan gone crazy for it? Why does this song have 20 million views? Let me break down some of the most resonating aspects of the game.

Youkai: Youkai are your dudes you collect. There's almost 400 of them. Not quite Pokemon numbers, but good for the first game. Some are blatant pallette swaps, but many of them have very interesting and unique designs. Many of them are based on Japanese folklore, but there are some really creative ones as well. Youkai are basically ghosts that have some effect on humans when they are around. One youkai causes the person it possesses to gossip relentlessly, another makes a person forget things, another steals your remote, another makes you want to stay in all day and do nothing etc. This concept makes for some amusing quests. The designs can be a mixed bag, but there are a lot I like. Especially the cats, I can't get enough of those guys (I used Jibanyan the entire game).
20140710142507be6s.jpeg

There are eight types. Pretty, Creepy, Strange, Isamashi, Gouketsu, Nyororon, Usurakage (hazy shadow?), and Pokapoka (soothing?). I don't know how to translate these things, don't ask. There is no super effective chart, their types kind of relate to how they operate. Pretty youkai are normally fast, gouketsu have high defense, pokapoka mostly are support based etc. There is elemental magic which has some type chart thing going on, but I mostly didn't focus on magic. Each youkai has a personality, which is similar to natures in Pokemon. Their personality gives a growth buff when leveling up, so you can min/max to your heart's content. There is also a place that can buff your stats while subtracting another, so you can get really specific if you are hardcore.

There's a variety of ways to get these guys. When battling them, you can give them food and they may join you. Or you can get some out of the gasha machine. Or you can fuse them. Or evolve current youkai. Or get some in quests. There are also "legend" youkai that you can get once you get eight or so specific youkai to unlock them. Exclusivity is kind of a pain though. Some youkai require a YW1 save, and some require a digital download, others require you to scan QR codes etc. Only the most dedicated will catch them all.
UQkhqYv.png

Oh also, any youkai you have can follow you around on the screen HOW AWESOME

Battle: So this is like Pokemon right? WRONG. I would say it's more akin to Dragon Quest Monsters. You can have six active youkai on a team, with three of them in battle. Battles are not turnbased, and you don't issue commands. What? So what do you do? Battles are largely automated. Each youkai has a standard attack, a defensive and offensive magic skill. They will use these accordingly based on what's happening in the battle. So what do you do? Each youkai has a super attack that you can unleash. These range, but typically give big buffs, hit multiple enemies, or do a lot of damage on one enemy. When you activate the skill you have to play some minigame to charge up your youkai before he can attack. Another interesting thing is that you can switch your youkai out at any time by pressing L and R and they will shift over. There is some strategy in this, because they are in a set order so you have to think about who you place your youkai next to. If you put one next to the same type, they can get a buff. There is also a G-Skill that I barely used, I think you can focus other teammate's skill powers into one youkai. Whatever. High level battles focus on when you use your skill, your youkai alignment, your min/maxing of stats, and switching in and out.
LkoN2Q1.jpg

The game is very easy, but bosses can be challenging, especially the last boss who could be the final boss of a Dragon Quest game. If you want a challenge, you can go to the Sports Club for some Battle Tower-esque fights or get wrecked online.

Also there are NO RANDOM BATTLES every enemy is on the screen OR you search for them in the trees or under cars (it makes sense trust me).
SaCxHUa.jpg

Setting: The game takes place in modern day Japan. It mostly takes place in one city, with two other towns you can visit. It is pure Japanese culture fanservice. You could describe it as an idyllic take on how a kid would see his summer vacation in Japan. It really feels like you have a small Japanese city in your pocket. There is so much rich detail to every building and place you visit. The interiors in this game are truly incredible and filled with minute details. You can also.. GO INTO THE PAST. This provides even more culture fanservice, as you can see everything how it was 60 years ago. You might like this if you are into retro post-war aesthetics. There are many places to visit. Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples, farmlands, coastal towns, a large downtown, a giant Skytree-esque tower, school, cram school, your friend's house, hell, heaven, the youkai world, sewers, caves, ancient battlefields, abandoned tunnels, train stations, snack bars, convenience stores, secret forest hideouts, and more. Did I mention you can go back in time? YOU CAN GO BACK IN TIME.

Exploration: Even though the game mostly takes place in a single area, the game is quite large when it comes to hidden secrets, places to go, things to buy, and areas to explore. You know all those open world games that take place in a single city yet everything is just window dressing? Youkai Watch 2 is not one of those games. There is just so much in each area that I was amazed to see some of the places I skipped and stumbled upon by accident. Not to mention that some things regenerate daily, like treasure chests, so even when stomping through old areas you can still find something new and interesting. Even now that I'm in the post game, there are still so many new areas to discover.

Story: Youkai Watch 2 has a pretty unique story. The beginning is basically just a kid enjoying his summer vacation, and your first few major quests aren't about saving the world or anything like that at all. Eventually you start to discover the origins of the Youkai Watch, and yes, some bad guys show up and you have a big fight blah blah blah. Even so, the story is quite interesting and funny. I thought the origins of the Youkai Watch was actually quite cool and not what I expected. Though shit hits the fan later in the game, it has more of a light-hearted story than you would expect in an RPG.
odVhmrJ.jpg

Characters: You can be a boy... OR A GIRL. I'm almost certain each one has their own unique personality as they are not silent protagonists. You can even visit the other protag's home and have some quests with them. They even have their own set of different parents. Whisper, a prototypical white ghost, is your "butler" who gives you advice and is your right hand man. He is hilarious, I love his voice. There is also Jibanyan, who is the Pikachu of the series. Even if you don't use him on your team he is still part of the story. He is also quite funny. He was run over by a car and became a ghost. Since then, he spends his time eating chocolate bars and idolizing over a pop group (NyaKB). He is so relatable. In the past, there's Keizou, a boy obsessed with hero comics, and Fuunyan, a superhero cat. There are a lot of characters in this game, and all of them are pretty memorable in their own way. Many of your sidequests come from your classmates as they have their own goofy adventures.

479532.jpg

Content: This game is PACKED with so many things to do. It took me 37 hours to beat the main quest, and I didn't even do all the sidequests. ALSO there is a lot of postgame content that has blown my mind. Not quite secret Kanto, but still very good stuff. There are your typical "go here and do this sidequest" but also some other ones that don't have journal entries and markers that feel more old school. Besides battling and doing story quests, you can have bike races, have daily battles against special youkai, use the gasha machine that gives you cool things, play this insanely hard MGS-esque mode where you hide from a giant demon that randomly attacks you at night, climb a flagpole, watch cool summon animations, listen to music, run through an SMT-esque dungeon, solve riddles, find hiding youkai in the overworld, hunt criminal youkai, battle and trade online, check the weather, collect pop star cards, do eight billion sidequests etc. The sidequests are actually quite entertaining because many of them come from your classmates with their own personalities.

Random stuff: This game is 3D even in the overworld. You take your shoes off when you go into someone's house. A monster randomly attacks you at night time and it is the scariest thing ever I'm talking Nemesis shit here. Great graphics. There's a youkai with an ass for a face. Japanese Miiverse is super awesome. There are two moments where you control someone else besides the main character and they are amazing.

The game is not perfect. For one, sometimes the youkai are just too hard to get. Even if you give them food they like, they still might not join you and just waste your time and money. Also the warping is a bit messy. There are these eyes that save and work kind of like a Pokemon PC where you can transfer your team. But then later you get these mirrors that warp you. However you have to manually go to each mirror to open the warp point. Why couldn't the eyes be the warp point? Most warp points have an eye right next to them anyways. Also the game is quite easy, but the final boss is ridiculously tough. It has to be the biggest difficulty spike I've seen in a game (still only took me two tries). Also I never played Youkai Watch 1, and since 2 came out only a year later, I am guessing my enjoyment of this game is because I don't know what they rehashed from the first.

If you can read some Japanese, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this game. I have already put in 40 hours and I'm nowhere near burnt out. If you live in America... pray.

tldr
Awesome overworld
Interesting battle system
Youkai are creative
Great graphics
NyaKB
Insane amount of things to do
Has two of the most random cameos I've ever seen

Also the show is quite funny. I leave you with a pic of Whipser as Will Smith and Jibanyan as Leonardo Dicaprio.

NGdhmIz.png
ZuOi8zH.png

Nice post, the game does seem impressive and I love how the gameplay sounds. But knowing Level 5, we might never see this game or they will take ages to localize them and by then I just won't care because there will be a Yokai Watch 6 or something.

Level 5 truly is one of the best if not the best JRPG developer in the past ten years.

Also, I can't agree with this considering Atlus and Falcom exist and Level 5's other JRPGs are pretty meh(maybe I'm forgetting an amazing one, but I don't recally any Level 5 game being that good).

May I ask, how was the first game of the series compared to YW2?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I am never going to play this game, and that makes me kind of sad.

ranmafan

I've been playing Youkai Watch one this past week and have been loving every bit of it. Just lots of fun all around. Love all the detail level five put into the game. Already got the second game ready to play once I'm done with the first. Can't wait!

Mozendo

Never understood what was the big deal with the game until I read this, thanks.
Shame we'll most likely not see it localized.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Amazing thread, really appreciated someone finally taking their time for such a thread. Cant wait for YW2.

Forkball

Nice post, the game does seem impressive and I love how the gameplay sounds. But knowing Level 5, we might never see this game or they will take ages to localize them and by then I just won't care because there will be a Yokai Watch 6 or something.

Also, I can't agree with this considering Atlus and Falcom exist and Level 5's other JRPGs are pretty meh(maybe I'm forgetting an amazing one, but I don't recally any Level 5 game being that good).

May I ask, how was the first game of the series compared to YW2?

I never played YW1 so I can't compare. Since this game came out so quickly after YW1, I wouldn't doubt a lot of rehashing. I would say skip YW1 if you're new to the series since this game is probably much, much better.

I quite like Level 5. Dragon Quest IX was my 2010 GotY and one of my favorite DS games. I'm excited for Fantasy Life as well.

sublimit

Banned
Setting: The game takes place in modern day Japan. It mostly takes place in one city, with two other towns you can visit. It is pure Japanese culture fanservice. You could describe it as an idyllic take on how a kid would see his summer vacation in Japan. It really feels like you have a small Japanese city in your pocket. There is so much rich detail to every building and place you visit. The interiors in this game are truly incredible and filled with minute details. You can also.. GO INTO THE PAST. This provides even more culture fanservice, as you can see everything how it was 60 years ago. You might like this if you are into retro post-war aesthetics. There are many places to visit. Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples, farmlands, coastal towns, a large downtown, a giant Skytree-esque tower, school, cram school, your friend's house, hell, heaven, the youkai world, sewers, caves, ancient battlefields, abandoned tunnels, train stations, snack bars, convenience stores, secret forest hideouts, and more. Did I mention you can go back in time? YOU CAN GO BACK IN TIME.

Exploration: Even though the game mostly takes place in a single area, the game is quite large when it comes to hidden secrets, places to go, things to buy, and areas to explore. You know all those open world games that take place in a single city yet everything is just window dressing? Youkai Watch 2 is not one of those games. There is just so much in each area that I was amazed to see some of the places I skipped and stumbled upon by accident. Not to mention that some things regenerate daily, like treasure chests, so even when stomping through old areas you can still find something new and interesting. Even now that I'm in the post game, there are still so many new areas to discover.

Ok.
I was already sold for this game but now i really can't wait for the English version.
Thanks OP.

Beckx

I am having a delightful time with the game. Glad you made this thread for discussion!

I'll edit this later to add my thoughts, plus my mini-guide/FAQ on places that may stump players who don't read Japanese. I only know a tiny bit, but with online dictionaries (and in one case a helpful Let's Play) I've been able to get through just fine.

Stupid question, though: I've only been able to figure out how to get Jibanyan or Whisper to follow me. How do I choose a different Youkai?

I really hope this series is brought over to the west. I really would like to give it a shot.

Is there a place where you can see all the Youkai?

Level 5 has to be bringing these two games over to the west, right? RIGHT?!?

Seems like a series Nintendo should publish themselves over here, if they have to.

squall23

Good is subjective, but you're never going to see something as "out there" and as innovative as a "real time soccer strategy RPG" from the likes of Atlus or Falcom.

Glass Rebel

Well, thanks for the blue balls OP. That does sound pretty amazing.

Good is subjective, but you're never going to see something as "out there" and as innovative as a "real time soccer strategy RPG" from the likes of Atlus or Falcom.

I'd argue that a surgery game like Trauma Center is at least if not more innovative and "out there" as Inazuma Eleven but I like both.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Battle: So this is like Pokemon right? WRONG. I would say it's more akin to Dragon Quest Monsters. You can have six active youkai on a team, with three of them in battle. Battles are not turnbased, and you don't issue commands. What? So what do you do? Battles are largely automated. Each youkai has a standard attack, a defensive and offensive magic skill. They will use these accordingly based on what's happening in the battle. So what do you do? Each youkai has a super attack that you can unleash. These range, but typically give big buffs, hit multiple enemies, or do a lot of damage on one enemy. When you activate the skill you have to play some minigame to charge up your youkai before he can attack. Another interesting thing is that you can switch your youkai out at any time by pressing L and R and they will shift over. There is some strategy in this, because they are in a set order so you have to think about who you place your youkai next to. If you put one next to the same type, they can get a buff. There is also a G-Skill that I barely used, I think you can focus other teammate's skill powers into one youkai. Whatever. High level battles focus on when you use your skill, your youkai alignment, your min/maxing of stats, and switching in and out.

The game is very easy, but bosses can be challenging, especially the last boss who could be the final boss of a Dragon Quest game. If you want a challenge, you can go to the Sports Club for some Battle Tower-esque fights or get wrecked online.
This sounds terrible, but very much in line with what's popular on mobile gatcha games. Collect stuff, do minimally interesting things with said collected stuff. Get excited for the next roulette of stuff. Feel rewarded. Repeat.

I'm going to agree that Inazuma Eleven is awesome, if that's what you wanted me to say. :p

I've watched all the anime and just have played the first game, it hurts that I can't play the rest.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Oh that's sounds interesting and I like the sound of that.

LkoN2Q1.jpg

The battle mechanic however doesn't sound interesting at all, if anything they are putting me off the game.

So what are the chances of it getting a translation? I really want this game now.

When someone picks up the animé and merchandise.

Nintendo will definitely localize the Youkai Watch games, I'm more worried about the wait.

It did take several years for them to bring all the Inazuma Eleven games.

Oh and thanks for this thread. I need this game! :(

Fantastic game, and while not my GOTY, it's close. Such an improvement in subtle ways over the first game too, mainly pacing in the later half, but also the sheer amount of stuff you can do and the UI.

Beckx

Okay - putting this here to help other future players who may pick this up and not know much Japanese. If you have a JP 3DS and like this style of game, you should absolutely get it, you can get through fine. But IMO you need to know the kana at a minimum to have a smooth experience, otherwise you're going to be running to YouTube constantly. (though if you absolutely get stuck, go look at one of the Let's Plays, like this one, it got me through one point that I just wasn't figuring out.)

The game has three categories of quests (not using the official names here):
  • Story Quests, which are generally of the "go here do thing" variety
  • Blue flag quests, which come in two flavors: (i) Key Quests, which are required to unlock the next Story Quest, and (ii) other quests, which are not required. Blue flag quests often require you to bring items to people, defeat youkai in a certain area, or even recruit specific youkai.
  • Orange flag quests - I haven't done many of these, they appear to be general fetch quests.

Generally it's the Key Quests that are going to get the non-Japanese speaker stuck. The other big hitch will be quests (whether Story or Key Quest) that involve the Q Boards. I'll cover those in a bit.

By far, most of the things you need to do will follow a typical Level5 pattern: go to where the flag is on screen and do the thing. If you've played Ni No Kuni you'll know what I mean. There are only a few that might give you problems. I first hit a wall fairly early with two key quests. One was a guy at a shrine who wanted me to go to a nearby place and defeat specific youkai; the other was a person who wanted a specific item. You start to realize the pattern of these requests: item or youkai will be in green, and the location (if there is one) will be in red. For example, later in the game a Key Quest flag will send you to talk to a Youkai on a bridge. It will give you a fishing rod, and then demand something in green - the kana worked out to "funa" if I recall. Well, since he just handed over a fishing rod, a quick guess suggested that maybe funa was a fish, so head to the nearest fishing spot and bingo! you can catch those named fish. The quest also gives the quantity the youkai wanted, so when you have enough, you take them back. Kill quests are pretty much the same way and even easier, because so far all the kill quests have wanted youkai very near to the quest giver.

Occassionally, though, you'll encounter "Q Boards" doing quests. These are little signs with a Q on them, and they contain three clues about a youkai, and want you to enter the youkai's name as the answer to the quiz. Once you do that, you can activate the sign's power by placing the youkai there - which means you have to have already recruited it. The first Q board happens in an early Story Quest and they lead you by the nose; if you cancel the entry, Whisper will straight up tell you the answer and you will already have the Youkai in your party.

Here are some things that have stumped me a little more:

• One Key Quest sends you to a cave in Nagasaki. Inside, you'll quickly find a Q board, but can't seem to proceed to where the quest flag is. The trick is
    the Q board is asking you to enter the name of one of the three youkai that regularly apppear in the cave. They look like little walking celery guys, all three of them. There are 3 Q boards in this cave that control the water levels, and you'll need one of each of the celery guys to activate them.
  • On another key quest, you'll meet your dad in an office building. If you translate the green and red text in his request, you'll see he's pining for some sort of turtle that might be found in Nagasaki. This one stumped me the longest because I didn't realize that
    he wants you to catch and recruit a turtle like youkai that can be found in a warehouse in Nagasaki. Catch it and take it back to him.
  • One series of key quests (just after the fish-catching quest) has you looking for several youkai in the countryside. One is in your grandmother(?)'s house - the youkai asks you for something. I didn't translate any of this, and by serendipity found
    an item on the right side of the house outside that was the item needed for the quest. Hurrah for luck!
  • Later on in the story,
    the evil bad guy will do something to your hometown that causes many people to be possessed.
    After talking to your parents, you won't be able to leave that area, but there will be no destination flag, either.
    You have to go to the community center (look at the name in the quest, then on the map you'll see the same name (except instead of the kanji it's all in hirigana). Go there and there's a Q board that wants the name of the folding warp Mirror guy in your party.

I love playing through import games despite my limited Japanese skills. The fun for me comes from both figuring out what the quests want and from making up my own parts to the story based on what I'm seeing. I started doing this a long time ago with Vermillion on the Genesis. Now I'm getting more serious about actually learning Japanese, but we'll see. Games like this that use furigana really encourage me to take it seriously and try to learn. Anyway, if you like that sort of thing, don't be intimidated to get YW2.

And yeah, if anyone can help with my stupid question from my post about that would be keen, I want someone other than Jibanyan following me. :)

Rocky

Banned
Shouldn't a game be released worldwide before it can contend for Game of the Year?

Though I admit, I am eagerly awaiting a localization annoucement for YW.

Fireblend

Banned
So what's with no one picking up the anime for NA distribution? This sounds like a goldmine, and surely the game would follow.

epmode

I've been interested in this series since I heard about how popular it is in Japan but I have to be honest: The combat sounds miserable. Maybe not as bad as Ni No Kuni, but...

I want to love Level 5's RPGs, GAF. Their games always look so fun. And then I play them.

At least we'll always have Dark Cloud 2 (which had problems of its own).

takoyaki

I started playing Yokai Watch 1 recently and put around 10/15 hours into the game. I love the setting, characters, attention to detail and the concept of youkai, BUT the game is so damn easy that it´s just no fun to play. Has anybody here played YW1 and YW2 and is able to compare both games when it comes to difficulty/challenge? I so wanna get into this series of games, but at least the first one feels like playing a kid-friendly RPG on autopilot.

Forkball

You kind of have to get your hands on the battle system to see its strengths. It's all about timing, having a strong alignment, knowing when to rotate, and knowing when to use skills (and quickly doing the minigame correctly). There are many elements to the battle. Some moves incapacitate your youkai, so you have to rotate them out, and do an "exorcism" minigame so they can go back in. All of this happens in real time so you have to focus. You also can use items, but there is a cooldown on them so you have to plan accordingly. I didn't really see how rich the battle system could be until I used the Sports Club and fought some of the tougher bosses. The battle system has a lot of variety when you face off against bosses, as you have to target specific areas.

I started playing Yokai Watch 1 recently and put around 10/15 hours into the game. I love the setting, characters, attention to detail and the concept of youkai, BUT the game is so damn easy that it´s just no fun to play. Has anybody here played YW1 and YW2 and is able to compare both games when it comes to difficulty/challenge? I so wanna get into this series of games, but at least the first one feels like playing a kid-friendly RPG on autopilot.

The main game of YW2 is super easy. There are some tricky bosses though, especially the final boss. I was surprised the final boss was so tough compared to the rest of the game. There's also a post-game area that has some extremely tough bosses. I can barely even touch the boss on the first floor.

YW2 is similar to Pokemon in the fact that the main game is easy, but the post-game content and specific battle areas can really test your team.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is the first time I've ever seen media for this game. Had no idea what kind of game this or the first one was.

takoyaki

The main game of YW2 is super easy. There are some tricky bosses though, especially the final boss. I was surprised the final boss was so tough compared to the rest of the game. There's also a post-game area that has some extremely tough bosses. I can barely even touch the boss on the first floor.

YW2 is similar to Pokemon in the fact that the main game is easy, but the post-game content and specific battle areas can really test your team.

That's enough to get me to finish YW1 and/or YW2, thanks for the reply. When it comes to RPGs, I don't mind going through a slog/period of grinding when I know there is something challenging on the horizon. Otherwise, leveling up always seems so pointless.

Top Bottom